[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have experience keeping a cat in a studio apartment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Circus-Tiger-Big-Cat-In-Cage.jpg (124 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
Circus-Tiger-Big-Cat-In-Cage.jpg
124 KB, 800x527
Does anyone here have experience keeping a cat in a studio apartment? Specifically one that is used to a nice big house.

I'm considering moving into one, but am hesitant to how the cat will take to it. She's become accustomed to a nice big house with a couple flights of stairs and room to stretch out. I'm concerned that the sudden shrinkage will cause some distress.

Any tips/stories? Pic maybe related.
>>
File: 20160505_184350.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160505_184350.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
When me and my wife got our first apartment together. She brought her 11 year old cat, Fluffy from her parents.
Fluffy went from a 3 floor house to a shitty 3 and a half apartment. At first he was a bit weird about the situation due to living with a new person and in a new place. After a couple of weeks he seemed happier at the apartment.
I think it is cause he never felt lonely due to us being on the same floor all the time as him.
We now own our first house. Which is a 2 floor average starter home. Fluffy is now 14 years old. And since he got so used to always being close to us. He chooses to be on the same floor as us no matter what
>>
>>2124525 cont
3 and a half apartment means 1 bed room apartment in my city.

Only tip I can give is play with the cat as much as you can so she stays
Active.
>>
>>2124525
>>2124528

Good stuff, thanks for the reply.

I would definitely have to step up the play schedule. She's definitely a feisty one.
>>
File: 1455299615124.jpg (37 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1455299615124.jpg
37 KB, 540x405
Depends how old the cat is. If it's more than 5 or 6 year old, unless it's unusually kittenish in temperament/energy level, it'll probably be fine.

Play with her a lot and make use of vertical space in your new place to make up for the smaller floor space. Shelves, a cat tree, etc. Felines love to climb. You could also harness-train her and take her out every now and again for a bit of a romp. There are birdfeeders you can get that stick to the outside of windows - gives her something to watch.
>>
Picked up a stray cat that was used to pretty much total freedom and started keeping him in a studio. Unfortunately I couldn't be there most of the time due to life situations and he got depressed and destructive. If you're not going to be there a lot, make sure the cat has enough to be entertained.
>>
>>2124553
>>2124577

She's ten, but definitely a very young ten, and acts like she's five years younger.

Anyway, I'm going back to school, and if I didn't have a dependent, I wouldn't even consider anything bigger than a studio, because it's all I need, and it's cheaper. I technically could afford something larger, but don't want to.

The complex that I'm looking at offers month-to-month leases on their studios, so if worst comes to worst, if she seems unhappy I could move into something bigger without much hassle.

As much as it hurts me to say it, she's used to me being gone throughout the day, so that hopefully that ends up being a plus.
>>
your apartment will stink

enjoy
>>
>>2124084
Cats are creatures of habit. They prefer smaller habitats as it's much less stressful on them. It's less area they have to patrol and protect as their territory. Have you ever had a cat that would beg to go outside, take a few steps out, sniff around, and then immediately want back in? That's because he is just doing his rounds and is thinking "alright cool the balcony is clear of any other cats, time to continue my patrol"

A single good sized room + a smaller bathroom like area is probably preferred by most cats. As long as they have enough room to run around and exercise you're good.
>>
>>2125071
You're a fucking retard.

The only people that have stinky apartments because of cats are people that don't clean or change out the litter enough.
>>
>>2124084
My cat went from a very large home to a condo several times smaller. I try to provide as much verticality as possible, and make sure there are views and beds and toys in several areas.
>>
>>2125092
no, the only people who think they don't stink are cat owners who are used to the smell of cats and their associated piss and shit
>protip: cats stink
>>
>>2124084

I recently moved my 8 year old cat from a 2 story house to a one bedroom apartment. I think she actually likes it more. I had roommates at my last place, so there were a lot of closed doors she wanted to go into. Now I keep the bedroom door open so she can go wherever she wants to be. Cats are pretty hardy; just cuddle and play with your cat and it should be fine. I'd recommend bringing a bed or towel she sleeps on, unwashed. It'll make her feel more comfortable.
>>
>>2125302
>protip: cats stink

You just went full retard.

I lived in a studio apartment for for a year once and my coworker would come over to play GoW occasionally. He was allergic to cats and hates everything about them. He had no idea I had a cat the first few times he came over.
>>
>>2125318
sure
>>
>>2125318
your story doesn't check out for the following reason

if you knew your coworker was allergic too and hated cats you obviously talked about cats and you would have presumably told him about yours. therefor he knew about the cat

he was either 1) overstating his hatred/allergy, 2) trying to get in your pants or 3) you made up this story
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone.
>>
>>2125347
>if you knew your coworker was allergic too and hated cats you obviously talked about cats
Why would I talk about cats with a fucking stranger?

I knew he was allergic AFTER he came over. I put the kitty in another room because shes terrified of other people and more than likely would have hid in their the entire time anyways. He only figured out I had a cat after a month or so of visiting (on weekends) when she got the courage to come up to him.

You faggots are autistic as fuck.
>>
>>2124084
stop it nancy
>>
File: studio.jpg (85 KB, 600x649) Image search: [Google]
studio.jpg
85 KB, 600x649
>>2125911
To add, this was the layout of my apartment. It use to be one of those "long stay" hotels converted to apartment housing. It was awesome for me at the time because I was working on contract and didn't know if I would be hired full time. It was already furnished and even had a TV.

The bathroom was fairly large as the room without the tub and toilet had a large mirror and sink. I'm not too what the purpose of that "room" was. Probably so you could hang clothing and use the mirror to dress like a walk in closet thing. That's where the door was for the bathoom and that's where I kept the kitty and her toys when someone came over.

Unrelated, but when I got hired on full time I moved into a larger apartment that had an amaazzinngggg bathroom. It was on a second floor and had a large window that overlook the valley and mountains. There was also a window in the shower/large garden tub that was super comfy. My apartment overlooked some old persons garden area where they kept a couple of bee boxes and chickens.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.