[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arachnid Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: Princess.jpg (103 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Princess.jpg
103 KB, 720x960
Post your creepy crawly things and talk about what more you want.

I'll start. I only have a Chilean Rose Hair right now, but at the expo in June I'm thinking about getting a Cobalt Blue Tarantula. They sell babies for like $10.

>pic related. my T eating a cricket
>>
File: IMG_8330e.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8330e.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
Sicarius terrosus. In retrospect, I should have ground up the new sand and generated some dust so it would attach better. My other one is on black sand which is probably just fucking eroded igneous rock, so the particles are too damn big too.

>>2114613
>I'm thinking about getting a Cobalt Blue Tarantula. They sell babies for like $10.

Build up your collection, but know that they're kind of shit to have as only one of two tarantulas. A proper setup for Cyriopagopus lividum means that you'll only see it at night sitting at the edge of the burrow. Turn on the lights or shine a light at it, and it'll dash back in. Grab some Lasiodora parahybana at that show too to make up for it. You can negotiate sellers down to nothing for those. Still one of my favorites after a decade of keeping these kunts.
>>
File: IMG_7621e.jpg (668 KB, 1024x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7621e.jpg
668 KB, 1024x720
>>2114971
Also, Hapalopus sp. Columbia are the shit. No one cares about them anymore now that people realized they're so easy to breed, but they're easy to keep and docile. You can get babies for $10.
>>
>>2114971
>>2114978

Thank you very much!

How many arachnids have you owned? Is saying the popular name instead of the scientific name going to make me seem uneducated at the expo?
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 897x1163) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 897x1163
I've been really wanting a tarantula and doing some research on different species. A chromatopelma seems like exactly what I want, would you recommend against them as a first arachnid for any reasons? They're beautiful, terrestrial, dont need high humidity, are agressive eaters, and my favorite thing is how they coat their enclosures in webbing. I hear they can be skittish and bad for handling but I'm a bug guy and don't think it would be a problem for the very rare times I will decide to take it out. An exotic animal store has a female with an egg sac and I'm on a call list for whenever spiderlings decide to hatch. I'm pretty excited especially for an opportunity to get a spiderling and watch it gradually grow. How difficult is tarantula rearing generally? I've considered getting two just in case something goes wrong, and so I have a better chance at ending up with a female. I assume there's no real way to sex them at a young age, but I do have a microscope.
>>
>>2114978

disco spider feeling the beat
>>
>>2115493
>Is saying the popular name instead of the scientific name going to make me seem uneducated at the expo?

Nah.
>>
>>2115493
>How many arachnids have you owned?

Don't know. Probably over 300 or 400; maybe around 100 species. Been at this since 2005. I don't have as many as I used to right now though.

>Is saying the popular name instead of the scientific name going to make me seem uneducated at the expo?

Common names quickly get confusing when you start talking about less common species. Too many are nearly meaningless and variable. Life will be simpler if you get used to the latin names.

>>2115583
They're fine as a first spider. You don't want to handle them too much because they will dart and run under or up something if you make the wrong move. Bites are inconsequential, but it's always annoying to chase down an escapee.

>How difficult is tarantula rearing generally? I've considered getting two just in case something goes wrong, and so I have a better chance at ending up with a female. I assume there's no real way to sex them at a young age, but I do have a microscope.
Easier than plants usually. Basically feed it and keep it warm to make it grow. Two or more slings are always best. You can ventrally sex them to some degree of accuracy, but waiting for the molt will confirm it. Slings are easy to sex from a fresh molt when they're above 1", especially with a microscope.
>>
File: phlogiuscrassipesjuvenile07id7.jpg (177 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
phlogiuscrassipesjuvenile07id7.jpg
177 KB, 720x540
Not letting you guys die on me.
>Got lil spider in a jar
>Was going to put it outside but got sidetracked
>Now my pet
>Everytime friends or family come over they pick it up and shake it to see it move
>Then I have to deal with it being stuck curled up for days not eating
Why do people do this. You wouldnt pick up a dog and start shaking it. I've now had to put a label on its jar saying do not touch.

Anyone, looking at one of these bad boys. Only allowed natives here in Australia so might as well go big. Just need to hope I can get it through beginner mistakes as a sling
>>
File: Snapchat-1392848566906556349.jpg (462 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1392848566906556349.jpg
462 KB, 1080x1920
My rosea, a. Avicularia, and b. Vagans and a. Brocklehursti slings.

Why doesn't /an/ have arachnid threads more often? I'm new to the hobby and was appalled that I had to seek information somewhere that isn't 4chan.
>>
How do you deal with food for small numbers of slings? Can you just buy baby crickets/roaches individually or should I just buy 20 Ts already
>>
File: DSCF2555.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2555.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Spoder
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.