[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up with the dog/cat binary? They're both very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: dogcat.jpg (115 KB, 466x258) Image search: [Google]
dogcat.jpg
115 KB, 466x258
What's up with the dog/cat binary? They're both very similar animals so why are people expected to like one or the other? When did this binary first appear?

Also, why are dog people always so aggressive about cats and can go on long rants about every single think they hate about cats, while cat people usually shrug and say "dogs are cool, but they're not for me. I just like cats more"? Every person I've met with an opinion on if they like dogs or cats more has been like this
>>
File: 1462292563193image.jpg (122 KB, 1300x731) Image search: [Google]
1462292563193image.jpg
122 KB, 1300x731
>Not being an animal idort

Even though in my experience it's the other way around for dogfags and catfags. Dogfags typically say 'I just don't get cats' while it's the cat owners that are venomous and pointing out everything wrong with dogs.

Still, if you don't live both dogs and cats, you're a shitter
>>
cat people talks about how amazing cats are because they can shit in a box and they don't stink or whatever but how many "how do i keep my cat from pissing and shitting all over the house" threads are there on any given day?
>>
I have both and will always have both, maybe with a few other types of pets one day.
I also think a cat or dog that lives with other species tends to be more well rounded.

I don't really understand the mindset personally, but I think it comes from learning generalization. If they had bad experiences with one cat and good with one dog sometimes this is enough to sway their entire opinion.
People are also highly uneducated about animals in general therefore are more likely to use sweeping generalizations.
You can see people do this with all sorts of other non-pet things as well like.
>>
>>2114451
Thats a terrible case of confirmation bias. Last time I checked there weren't daily threads advocating the shooting of stray dogs on site.
>>
>>2114462
>The only samples I buld my case on is from 4chan

Come on now.
>>
>>2114443
That's a ridiculous biased generalization based on your own experiences.

I've heard just the same amount of cat people claiming cats are the best and dogs stink/are dirty/eat their poop. I've hear it a million times.

Also, they are not similar at all, which doesn't mean one is better than the other, it just means that some people often prefer one. Both have pros and cons.
>>
>>2114462
>complains about confirmation bias
>uses 4chan as a sample
>>
I qualify as a dog person for sure, but anyone who self identifies as a "dog person" with any passion is usually a cunt. I like dogs way more than cats overall, but I love MY cat a lot specifically. I can't fucking mention him among my peers without somebody eventually telling me "Cats don't love you, you can't train them, you can't walk them, I hate cats, why do you like him when you have a dog??"
It's the same with "big dog" people. I can't even say Pomeranians are cute in public without somebody breathing down my neck about how their 200 lb exotic RottieBullâ„¢ or whatever the fuck is so much cuter, smarter, nicer, ect.
Again, I definitely quality as a dog person, and while both dog and catfags are obnoxious, dog people are just as loud as their pets are and are way more obnoxious. Nobody's ever told me I shouldn't love my Labrador and that I should get a cat instead. I don't think I've met anybody in real life who doesn't like dogs. It's only ever been on 4chan.
>>
>>2114464
I live in the south so it basically goes that way every time the subject gets brought up.

Of course if I say that then your responses would just be switched to >anecdotal evidence
>>
>>2114443
I have 2 cats and a dog. All of them enrich my life in a different way, and I love all of them to pieces. I love how my cats give affection in this beautiful, understated way, and are so super soft. And I love how my dog and I are bros who can go on fun adventures and play together. I also love how cats get way into getting pets and scratches, but cuddling my 45 pound dog feels way nicer in some ways than a little 10 pound fluff ball that curls up into my lap.

All and all, I love having both. But given how different the animals are, I really appreciate that the binary exists. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. Each animal is enriching in its own way.
>>
>>2114477
Today at my work the TV was on and the news had a piece about dogs and all my coworkers started arguing about cats versus dogs. Two of my coworkers started going on about how cats are evil and one of my other workers asked them how they could hate cats when they're so cute, and they responded to her about how all cats hate them. I ended up talking to her about our cats
>>
world peace won't be achieved until people shut the fuck up about cats vs dogs
>>
>>2114443
I've wondered this too

It's like cats more than anything bring out the true sociopaths and angsty edgy tough guys
>>
They're both fucking terrible.
Cat owners can be delusional fuck wits and dog owners can be abusive fuckwits.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the animals though.
>>
Getting in heated petty squabbles is human nature.
I wonder how many people have died over the years because of cats vs dogs.
>>
>>2114719
I'd guess about five.
>>
>>2114443

>They're both very similar animals

Wut.
>>
File: 1446768616788.jpg (456 KB, 994x664) Image search: [Google]
1446768616788.jpg
456 KB, 994x664
>>2114443
>They're both very similar animals

If I had a reaction folder, I'd be posting my wtf018.jpg. But since I don't, you'll have to settle for this.
>>
>>2114758
>>2114776
They are. They don't require massive differences in care. They're both medium sized mammals free roaming in your house with fairly similar requirements. They don't have weird alien shit they need like a controlled aquatic environment like fish, or external heating sources and deep soil and humidity management like monitors, or UVB lighting and misting systems and close calcium management like chameleons.

Obviously they have their differences, but in the grand overall scheme of "animal husbandy" They are very close to each other.
>>
>>2114798
>They are. They don't require massive differences in care.

I seriously stopped reading there. Nothing else you might say after that has any validity given that you just said dogs and cats have the same level of care.

Have you owned both a dog and cat for a long period of time?

Honestly, what the fuck, man. The core difference between dogs and cats are that dogs are /more/. More work, more training, more risk, more maintenance, more time, more expensive, more vet trips, but also more affectionate, more eager to please, more security, more personified, more intelligent, more empathetic, more more more .... cats are the opposite. Less (all those bad things), but also less (good things).

Nutshell. That is it. Some people like less, some people like more, some people are too busy for more, some people are too bored for less. To each their own. Hallelujah. Holy shit.
>>
>>2114819
Do you not understand what I'm saying?
I'm not saying they're the same, I'm just saying their care is similar. Something not similar would be an animal with entirely different requirements, like reptiles, or fish, or coral or something that has no overlap in care. If you had a dog, with no knowledge of how to care for a cat, and tried keeping a cat the exact same way, you'd do just fine. If the same situation occurred but someone handed you an iguana, a lobster, or a horse or something you'd be fucked. They're similar.

Granted from that post you sound like one of those retarded buttmad dog owners like Op is talking about so that explains why you can't handle an animal you dislike being "similar".
>>
>>2114822
Are you a 12 year old with developmental disabilities?
>>
>>2115059
I agree with him.

anon is comparing the best of care for one animal with the worst for the other and pretending that's the norm.

in reality dogs and cats are probably equally neglected and generally survive equally well.
>>
I've never seen this dichotomy irl. Most people I know who have pets have both, and those that have one but not the other are partial to both anyway. I'd say I'm a dog person if I had to choose, but I have a dog and cats, and I love them all equally.
>>
>>2115068
>Most people I know who have pets have both

Agreed.

>>2115068

This person is correct.

>>2115068

Totes.
>>
i live beside this shitty condo full of shitty people and one of them kept getting dogs and obviously neglecting/mistreating them
first a large one that barked and barked all day
then they replaced it with a smaller one that barked and barked all day
then they replaced it with an even smaller one that barked and barked so they put it in a plastic carrier that was too small and it still barked all day
then they replaced it with a cat
they still have the cat

>tl:dr shitty people get cats
>>
>>2115199
>one instance generalizes to all

Way to go
>>
>>2114819
This is only because people don't take proper care of their cats. I stopped at "more". It's hardly any more work. You still have to train, exercise, walk, and maintain cats. Most people don't take care of them, that's why most of them are antisocial assholes that get thrown outside to fend for themselves.
>>
File: 1431396100890.png (121 KB, 400x340) Image search: [Google]
1431396100890.png
121 KB, 400x340
>>2115269
>You still have to train, exercise, walk, and maintain cats

Okay, just no. What is up with you people? For every 1 time you CAN walk a cat for leisure, there are 10 times you HAVE to walk a dog for their health and hygiene. And that is a very low estimate.

Train a cat? Not needed at all. They know to shit in their box by natural instinct (if they don't, they're neurologically defective). Train a dog? There are 8 basic commends for obedience that must be learned by every dog. Bare minimum. If you dog can't "sit" "off" or "come" on command, you shouldn't own a dog.

Exercise? You bounce a feather on a stick for 20 minutes a day before bed time. I take my dogs for a 3 mile run. Twice a day.

Don't even pretend like walking a cat is necessary or that it gives them needed exercise they can't get in the house on their own chasing the top of a milk jug.

B-b-but "cats are the same amount of work as dogs". Have you guys ever owned both? I do, and love them both, but they are totally different in level of commitment and payoff.
>>
>>2115294
Are you the OP shitposting in his own thread to make us believe his whole "aggressive dog people" comment?
>>
>>2114455
Just like the multiple "how do I keep my dog from shitting and pissing in the house, stop chewing on things, stop whining, and stop attacking people
>>
>>2115308
ctrl+f piss yields two cat piss threads and that's not including the ones i hide because they're gross
>>
>>2114455
>>2115584
>believe my original research
>4chan is my sample
>>
>>2115610
the post is referencing THREADS you fucking stooge
>>
>>2115629
>believe my original research
>THREADS on 4chan is my sample
>>
>>2114443
because people are fucking retarded
>>
Because dogs, being domestically bred and conditioned by humans for several generations are for the most part 100% tame and entirely dependent on humans for survival. Therefore a dog will offer you unconditional love much easier since it has been conditioned to do so over thousands of years.

Cats on the other hand, do not need you to survive and are not pack animals by nature, and are generally skittish and on guard due to their status as ambush predators. Because of this it is somewhat more difficult to win their trust and affection.

What this leads to is retards going up to a strangers dog and petting it, receiving either affection or simply no response, because the dog is conditioned to love humans. Now the same retard will try this with a strangers cat assuming all animals are like dogs and their cat will either run away or scratch/bite them. This leads them to assume all cats are assholes because they didn't give them unconditional love and thus they will assume all cats are assholes and that dogs are the best ever. They will then continue to mistreat cats who will of course respond violently, only reinforcing their views.

So basically OP it's just insecure faggots too stupid to understand that you for the most part have to win a cats affection and trust and that not every fucking animal is like a dog that will mindlessly love and reinforce your need for constant reassurance through unconditional affection.
>>
The most basic of course is the arbitrary idea that there should be a preference to one or the other, which will lead to people growing up with a lack of love towards the animal that isn't their preferred.

Then, you have the multitudes of reasons to dislike dogs or cats. Many of these reasons are actually due to the negligence of an owner, but unfortunately the animal (and their entire species) tend to take the fall. For instance, a neighbor may have a dog that barks constantly, which is annoying for everyone in the vicinity. However, that's likely because they either want in the house, or haven't been trained properly. Another thing is, if you like walking, you probably see and potential even step in your fair share of dog shit on sidewalks or in parks. Of course, that's from owners who can't be assed to clean up after their animal. Then, you have cats, and the biggest thing with them is that they're allowed to roam free outside, and owners just think it's 100% okay. This is probably the stem of why there is a much more prominent hatred for cats compared to dogs. You don't have to own a cat to have a garden that's filled with cat shit, yet smells of cat piss. And just because you like animals, doesn't mean you want your front step/driveway/lawn littered with carcasses. Then, along those lines, if you live in a colder climate, you can even have the surprise of a cat, who was left outside by it's owner, mangled inside your car engine, which it crawled into to get warm.

Another thing that cats lose out with, specifically from men, is that they simply aren't seen as a manly animal. In the same sense as small dogs compared to larger breeds and species, cats are the smallest felines (of course, the larger ones aren't domestic). Meows are comparable to the yips of a chihuahua, while a larger dog's deep barks can command respect in the way a roar from a tiger might. It also doesn't help that single men with a cat are sometimes the pinnacle of absent masculinity.
>>
>>2115670
Literally every post was unbiased and showed both sides of both animals.

Well done.
>>
>>2115713
>It also doesn't help that single men with a cat are sometimes the pinnacle of absent masculinity.

:(

That's not true? Right?
>>
Dogs and cats are both useless freeloading creatures with no redeeming qualities. The only pet worth having is a horse.
>is loyal and affectionate if treated right
>is smart
>actually earns their keep by working/taking you for rides
>>
I've heard cat people say stupid shit too like "dogs are just brainless servants you could beat the shit out of them and they still would love you cats are selective with who they love, and cats are geniuses and will plot their revenge"
>>
>>2115837
>dogs are just brainless servants you could beat the shit out of them and they still would love you

That's not inaccurate.
>>
>>2114758
>>2114776
They're obviously different, but they're a lot similar to each other than like, a bird to a cat, or a snake to a dog. Lots of people who like cats also like dogs and vice versa even if they like one more since they have a lot of similar traits
>>
>>2114443
I am a dog person but I like cats for what they are. They are not arrogant or soulless or posess a sense of superiority, whatever dumb anthropomorph stereotypes people liek to put them in, they are just animals.
>>
>>2115823
Not always, but there is a slight stigma to being a single man with a cat. In one case, I had a co-worker, really good guy, but he absolutely ate the shit of our boss (lazy prick) and kissed his ass any chance he had. This is in a dead-end job, with no chance of moving up in the ranks, so such behavior wasn't even beneficial. I couldn't understand it at first, but then he told me he had a cat, and it all clicked afterwards.
>>
>>2115823
Depends on how many they have. I have seen some manly, attractive guys with 1, maybe 2 cats. Never seen a guy worth dating that had 3 or more but that could just be me.

>>2115835
Horses are dumb as shit. If you want a smart animal who can earn their keep get a donkey or mule. I like and grew up with horses but goddamn are they dumb
>>
>>2115839
Yea it is
>>
>>2114468
thank you for that
>>
>>2115823
Cats are perceived as "less utilitarian" than dogs, so they're considered less masculine by comparison, in the same way small dogs are "less manly" than working dogs.
That said, nobody is going to know you have a cat until you explicitly tell them. If someone has an opinion of your masculinity, it has little or nothing to do with your pet choice.
>>
>>2114819
>more intelligent
god damn i've seen more than enough dogs kill themselves in my lifetime while the alleycats I've encountered along the west coast have to be actively hunted
>>
>People in this thread trying to emasculate me because I'm a young single man that feeds some cats.

Oh well.
>>
>>2115307
I wish. It would physically pain me to say that cats use litter boxes but natural instinct instead of training them. Anyone who has even had a kitten/feral cat turned pet can you tell you that cats will shit whenever they want until you train them to use a litter box
>>
>>2116184
If you take care of animals instead of killing them with your bare hands and then cooking them over a fire in the woods you're basically a pregnant woman
>>
>>2116186
I need something to ease the pain and crippling loneliness that a modern man faces. Why not feed some cats that follow me around instead of drinking more than I already do?
>>
>>2116188
Drinking yourself to liver failure is manly, caring for living creatures is not
>>
>>2116188
>>2116184
>tfw gay autistic 25 year old man
>tfw you fill the gaping void left by your refusal to be a degenerate by caring for animals
>>
>>2116203
I just happen to be thin, single, and neat, so people like you assume I'm a homosexual.

Not that there would be anything wrong with it if I was.
>>
File: e34975bbf2b639333ec.jpg (211 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
e34975bbf2b639333ec.jpg
211 KB, 600x530
>>2116205
I'm also a thin, single, neat, man with only a cat who in this case is a homosexual

At least I don't adopt more cats when my relationships fall through, but that's like my only redeeming quality here

[spoiler]Mfw bf broke up with me 4 months ago and haven't found any other guys I'm interested in yet[/spoiler]
>>
File: tumblr_lyna1pXJ4r1qfca40o1_500.gif (496 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyna1pXJ4r1qfca40o1_500.gif
496 KB, 500x379
>>2116221
Heyyy.
>>
>>2116177
You have proven to everyone that cats are more intelligent than dogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY
>>
I've come across both kinds of people that own one and shit on the other. Generally its opposite of what you said and its cat people thinking dogs are filthy retarded uncontrollable mongrels while cats are clean little gods that do no wrong.

Personally I prefer dogs but I have 2 dogs and 1 cat and like them all.
herps>mammals anyway
>>
Theres this idea that dogs are useful for the average person. Because a dog CAN be trained to sniff drugs, or a dog CAN be trained to attack on command, or a dog CAN be trained to hunt. A lot of dog owners think that their dog is some super useful being that could do anything. When they finally do figure out that they are nothing more than cute shit producers, it must hurt their ego and they get super defensive about it.

I guess its just hurt pride really.

A cat owner probably just owns a cat cause its cute. MAYBE they want it to hunt mice. Theres not this insane idea that every cat is capable of being "useful" so you never really get cat owners bragging that their cats can fucking sniff out bombs or some dumb shit. Nah, cat owner is just gonna say "oh they keep me company and are low maintenence! They even shit in their own box!"
>>
>>2116263
I live in the US. Sorry Russian ferret guy :(
>>
File: injured outdoor cat.jpg (180 KB, 600x486) Image search: [Google]
injured outdoor cat.jpg
180 KB, 600x486
The core problem of shitty trained pets and strays is human overpopulation. I'm not sure how the governments will handle that. I'll be long dead by the time it becomes a real problem, but still I'm curious. Since the truth we see is it's mainly the shittiest of people who breeds. Seriously, this planet will be an impossible place in 100 years.
>>
>>2116542
Why do you even bother posting when everyone on this board wishes you'd shoot yourself?
>>
>>2116855
Seriously. Even bugguy shitposts about more than 1 thing. Have some variety. You're predictable and boring
>>
>>2116484
I live in US too
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 1178x98) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 1178x98
>>2114758
>>2114776
They're closely related you wankers
>>
Self identifying "dog people" are usually legit retards, by all means most people are already stupid but this gets even worse with them, they don't have any beliefs or unique thoughts, so they run to this already specified mindset and fucking live like it is their whole identity.
Not saying cat ladies don't exist either.
>>
>>What's up with the dog/cat binary?

As a "cat person" I'll say I don't hate dogs, I actually like dogs, I just would never keep one. People who like cats but hate dogs and vice versa value different traits. A cat person who hates dogs values the independence of cats and hates the subservience of dogs While a dog person hates the arrogance and pride cats have while valuing the loyalty of dogs.
>>
File: cookie 002.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
cookie 002.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>Okay, just no. What is up with you people? For every 1 time you CAN walk a cat for leisure, there are 10 times you HAVE to walk a dog for their health and hygiene.

Depends on the cat, my sisters cat is so attached to her that it will follow her down the street every time she leaves the house so she's started walking him. The guy doesn't take a collar because he's a barn cat but he feels safer in a leash.
>>
>>2114819
What other two types of animals are more similar to take care of?
>>
>>2114477
>I don't think I've met anybody in real life who doesn't like dogs

ever met an islander?
>>
>>2117216

Well, self identifying "cat people" are just as bad, some people only live for their precious little cat, and... they don't have much personnality beside this.
It's never a good thing, but we're talking about both ends of the spectrum, here.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.