[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/ So, I did some research, and determined that a standard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
Hi /an/
So, I did some research, and determined that a standard poodle would be a good match for me as a first dog. I know they have separation anxiety, and I'm trying to think out the logistics about incorporating a poodle into my life.
>how do I get groceries, or a cup of coffee, if I'm taking the poodle on a walk? How about if the weather's bad? Does the dog have to stay outside always?
>Should I just run errands without the poodle in tow?
>I'm out of the home for about 4-5 hours a day. I know poodles don't tolerate being alone well. Is 4-5 hours long enough to cause problems?
>How do I help the poodle not be lonely when I'm gone?
>I have a pet angora rabbit that free ranges around the house. I'm getting a younger poodle to help them bond. Poodles are nice to rabbits in the family, yes?
>I have a nice set of clippers that are very gentle on skin, I've rammed them into my arms and had no blood. Can I trim my poodle's hair myself, or should I only comb it and take it to a hairdresser?

Any other dog-owning advice is very welcome. I am very new to everything about dogs and I want to do this right.
>>
>>2116984
>how do I get groceries, or a cup of coffee, if I'm taking the poodle on a walk?

You can tie it up outside. I wouldnt do this unless your dog is older incase somebody tries to steal it.

How about if the weather's bad? Does the dog have to stay outside always?

It depends on the store, your lack of planning with your pet does not constitute an emergency on their part.

>Should I just run errands without the poodle in tow?

Most of the time this will be easier.

>I'm out of the home for about 4-5 hours a day. I know poodles don't tolerate being alone well. Is 4-5 hours long enough to cause problems?

I would seek the advise of a proffesional trainer, not being able to leave a dog alone for 10hrs while you work is ridiculous. You can leave the radio or television on to comfort it.

>How do I help the poodle not be lonely when I'm gone?

It will get used to a routine, you will have to put up with a blood curdling cacophony while it is getting used to being alone.

>I have a pet angora rabbit that free ranges around the house. I'm getting a younger poodle to help them bond. Poodles are nice to rabbits in the family, yes?

I wouldnt risk it.

>I have a nice set of clippers that are very gentle on skin, I've rammed them into my arms and had no blood. Can I trim my poodle's hair myself, or should I only comb it and take it to a hairdresser?

Take it to a dog groomers then run your errands in the hr it takes to do your dog.

It is also worth mentioning that poodles are intelligent and sometimes have high drive, they are working dogs and were used as military dogs in WW1 and WW2.
>>
>>2116993
I really appreciate how thorough your reply is, thanks!

I'm getting this poodle in about three months, so I'll just ask the local businesses what their policies are about letting dogs in. Thanks for mentioning that it might get stolen if I tie it up outside as a puppy, that's important to keep in mind.

I'll make a special, closed-off room for my bunny, so it can free range but won't be at risk of poodle bite. I'll work on socializing them together only when I'm also present.

Since poodles are so smart, I'm really looking forward to training it lots of tricks. I'm also considering buying one of those special mats for dogs to go bathroom on, if they need to go and they're stuck indoors. Are these pads okay, usually? Of course I'll normally be walking it several times a day with a poo bag for bathroom needs.
>>
>>2117000
I wouldn't recommend pee pads. If you're able to walk the dog consistently, they're not necessary. And if you CANT walk the dog often enough, I'd suggest crate training instead. by the time the pup is 6 months old it should be able to hold its bladder while you're gone anyway (provided it has a chance to potty before you leave)
>>
>>2117000

Your welcome, I have 2 6 month old puppies so its all fresh in my mind.
>>
>>2117000
If you're only going to be gone 4-5 hours a day there is no reason to use puppy pads. They start a bad habit of encouraging the dog to go inside. This can lead to confusion for your dog on exactly where is acceptable to go even if it seems crystal clear to you.

When your poodle is a puppy make arrangements to suit it's needs depending on how often it needs to go. A combination of letting your dog out right before you leave, returning for a lunch break in the middle, even paying a friend or sitter to let your puppy out during that time. Once your dog reaches a few months of age and can hold it longer, this 4-5 hour time frame will be a piece of cake and you can either crate or let your dog have free roam of the house the whole time you're gone and just let him/her out when you get back.
>>
>>2117000

Oh and we used puppy pads just in the bedroom at night.

You need to watch your puppy indoors at all times for a few weeks so shut it in one room with you ideally a living room with access to outside and give praise and reward when it goes outside and either ignore or just give a stern "no!" when it goes inside.
>>
>>2117003
>>2117011
>>2117009
Hmmm, okay, the jury is still out on puppy pads but I definitely do not want to train Poodle to pee indoors! I guess I'll have to ask the person I get her from about what they think is best for her. I've read some not-good things about crate training, but I'll just have to see what fits for both of us. I can definitely take a lunch break to walk her on most days though, which is great.

About stopping her from pooping indoors, do I say "no" when I see her crouch, or in the middle of the act? If I see her starting to do her business, should I pick her up or try and get her outside before it's too late, or is it already too late? I know not to punish her for past behavior, and am happy that ignoring this is also an option, if I positively reinforce going outdoors.

>>2117005
Awwww! Feel free to post pictures and talk all about them!
>>
>>2117027

Personally I do not like crate training.

When I was a child nobody crate trained and no dogs were shitting and pissing inside. If you crate train your not training the dog not to go inside your teaching it not to go in the crate.

I also will not lock my dog in a small cage simply because its inconvineant for me to have a dog at that point in time. My dogs have a fenced yard and a kennel they can retreat to in foul weather. They can come and go from indoors when we are home.
>>
>>2117000
Don't use puppy pads. It's confusing. Toilet training is a bitch but having an adult dog that pees in the house is worse. Get it to pee on grass (if you have it?) You should have a backyard with a standard poodle, they're deceptively energetic dogs. They're basically hypoallergenic labradors.

>About stopping her from pooping indoors
You ideally catch them doing it and say "no" (not angrily) then move them outside and praise them when they go out there. A puppy is small enough to scoop up pretty quickly. Don't raise your voice at a puppy it's ineffective and they don't know any better.

Every time they pee/poo outside give them a treat and praise them. The times they are going to need to go are usually right after they wake up or after a vigorous play. Pre empt the pee/poo and take them out. When it rained and my kelpie was a puppy I used to take her out on a collar and lead and just wait around until she went because she hated wet grass and would run inside and pee there if she wasn't attached.

I dunno what the timeframe is for poodles but I've had dogs that were already house trained at 9 weeks and not until up to 5 months. Just be patient.

Also for separation anxiety when you first get the puppy you should get it used to being alone (goes against every puppy instinct). This can be as simple as leaving the room when it takes a nap so it wakes up by itself then leaving it at home for short periods of time. Or moving it to an empty room in the house when it's super tiered. A confident dog will be sad you're gone but know you'll come back. Don't leave it alone for a long time initially, work up to longer periods of time.

The worst thing you can do is get the dog and spend every single minute with it for two weeks then suddenly go back to work.
>>
Poodles are amazing dogs. My 2 cents:

> pee pads
No, never, not even once. Do not encourage a puppy to pee inside the house in any way shape or format

> crate training
Highly recommend for potty training. Do not use it as a punishment cage. Can also help with anxiety once the dog establishes it as its safe personal space. When the dog is a puppy you can leave them in the crate for short periods of time if you have to run errands

>training
Poodles are an intelligent breed and benefit from training and other mental stimulation (puzzle toys with treats inside, etc). The more mental and physical activity the dog receives, the less likely they are to fuck shit up in your house
>>
>>2116984
Pretty sure they were originally bred as game dogs which isn't a good mix. We had a very sweet labrador who still viewed the neighbour's chickens as retrievable objects.

I don't know much about rabbits but I assume it will be stressed the fuck out by a puppy.
>>
>>2117033
>>2117134
>>2117033
I've read about not quite crate training, but making a little fenced-off enclosure with newspapers on the ground and toys to play with when I'm away. Thanks for the input on crate training.

I do have a biggish cage (4 feet tall, 5 feet long, 3 feet wide) but I'll be living in an apartment and rather not get a crate period, since space will be a bit tight.

I will be getting the puppy about a month or so before the semester starts, I think. I'm graduating in December, so my last semester doesn't have a lot of classes, and I have big stretches of free time on busy days. I like your tips on acclimating the puppy to being alone from the start. I'll be able to spend more time with it at the start anyway, but I'll gradually increase the time so it will be okay during the semester.
>>
>>2117198
Bunny gets alone fine with cats, even scares them off by sniffing them. It's a big bunny, and I've never seen her get scared of an animal. I'll definitely at least try and get them to not be scared of one another, and to be buds.
>>
>>2116984
>good match after doing research
>doesn't know how to deal with there problems
>does not understand how aggressive they are
>>
>>2117236
Hey. We all have to start somewhere. I read on dog blogs about poodle temperament, and about how well they get along with house pets, which the blogs say they do alright if socialized right. Dog blogs normally cover temperament, but not everyday living with the dog and little things. I'm sorry I'm not dog-guru, but this is why I'm asking here.
>>
>>2117239
They will attack anything that isn't there owner. And sometimes they will attack you.
>>
>>2117354
Poodles, or puppy poodles? Because I don't think a properly trained dog would be aggressive.
>>
>>2116984
I know a lot of people already replied but I just want to add a few things I haven't seen yet

Don't get a young puppy if you are going to be away for 4-5 hours; they literally can't hold it in that long so they get used to 1) sitting in their filth or 2) learn that if they have to go to the bathroom, they will just do so indoors. I would recommend 5 months or older, unless you can get a dog walker or bring the puppy to a daycare. General rule of thumb is they can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, and it stops around 9is months. So a 3 month old puppy, assuming it is house trained, will piss itself in about 3 hours

Poodles were bred to run after and retrieve game, so it will be iffy with the rabbit. Now your rabbit could be the friendliest rabbit that gets along with everything! But that doesn't matter. What will matter is how the dog will react to the rabbit, and some dogs will kill the rabbit. You can introduce them and see how it goes, but just keep in mind that the dog may have an instinct too hard for you to break, and ANY dog has the potential to bite and kill a rabbit. You will have to prepare for that situation if it ever comes down to the dog not getting alone with the rabbit. And NEVER EVER leave them alone together even if they are the best of friends.

Poodles are known to be territorial and aggressive with strangers, so it's incredibly important you are getting the puppy from a reputable breeder that keeps track of all their dog's temperaments, both the bitch and stud, and their puppies. I can't stress a good breeder enough desu. Talking to a good breeder in person or over the phone or by email will be able to give you more and better information that 4chan
>>
>>2117225
>lives in an apartment
>space will be a bit tight
>gets really big dog
>has a rabbit

What kind of research did you do exactly, OP? Poodles are big dogs originally bred for hunting and gaming - having them near rabbits and tight spaces is not a good idea.
>>
>>2117454
Hmm, thanks for the contribution! I looked it up, and there's a training school for dogs with a starting class for puppies that works for my schedule and with my budget. So I think I will enroll into this course, to socialize the pup from a young age and also teach it manners. I'm really aware of how bad breeding can affect a dog, so yes, talking about the parents' temperament is important!

>>2117464
I googled "standard poodle" and read the websites that popped up first. They all say standard poodles are good in apartments if I can walk them, which I can (there is a big lawn in the apartment complex, and sidewalks and dog parks nearby.)
I read that standard poodles are used as therapy dogs, which is good for me since I want a calm companion. I initially wanted to adopt an adult dog from a shelter, but the shelter manager told me that since I want a companion dog, it would be best to get a puppy and have it grow with me.
I also read that poodles can become used to other pets if they are socialized with them from a young age. I can keep the bunny in a separate room, and close the door when I'm not able to supervise. I was hoping they'd be safe to keep together, but if not, this is something I can make adjustments for to keep bunny happy and safe too.
>>
>>2117484
You are reading things and running with it, OP. Poodles are used as service dogs because a service dog's entire life is a job. Poodles are very intelligent and high energy, which means you have to exhaust it mentally and physically. They are not calm dogs.

I'm glad you are doing research, but you need to dig deeper. And whatever shelter told you shelter dogs are not for companions, there must have been miscommunication. Shelter dogs are amazing for companions, BUT I would not use a 2 year old dog or older to train for things like service dogs and hunting. Really, shelter dogs are only good as companions and not much else. What country do you live in OP?

Finding good information is very hard, especially for a breed that is as popular as the poodle. Shitty breeders like to use blanket statements and fudge the animal's history to make it sound like they will fit for everyone. I'm honestly trying to find information from a reputable breeder right now and I'm having a hard time with it. DO NOT rely Animal Planet, AKC site, or dog breed sites for information; they tend to sugar coat and only give you the tip of the iceberg.

>http://www.standardpoodleclub.com/myindex.html
>http://www.canismajor.com/dog/poodle.html
>http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/standardpoodles.html
>http://robinsongpoodles.com/right.htm
I like the last one because it comes straight from a person who owns poodles, which ideally you would want to be looking for
>>
>>2117497
Hey, thank you anon, that was really helpful! I'll bookmark these.

Honestly, I still think a poodle would be good for me. I found a really, really good looking breeder who lists the health of parents, and makes positive their puppies won't be bred and will be kept happy after their adoption (they get regular updates years late). And they seem to sell the poodles pretty late, they look like adult miniature poodles size-wise when they go home with their new owners.

I was already looking forward to training the dog by going to training school with it. I played with some puppies today, and didn't terribly like their biting-- this is something I will work to train out as quickly as the poodle will learn. I am willing to groom and exercise this pooch, and I do have the time to do so. Plus, with my apartment right at a sidewalk, we will be able to walk all around town, to multiple dog parks.

Thanks again for the sites. I still want a standard poodle, but am really glad to know what efforts taking good care of it will take.
>>
>really smart
>high energy
>high prey drive
>high strung

you believed those meme breed quizzes, didn't you?

>puppy for a first time owner
this is always a no
>>
>>2117497
>Really, shelter dogs are only good as companions and not much else
Not really true. Ours regularly sends dogs to a facility that trains them to be search and rescue animals.
>>
File: 3059504_orig.jpg (150 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
3059504_orig.jpg
150 KB, 960x720
>>2117569

Or search and destroy animals.

>pic related is anti poaching unit in SA.
>>
File: 394270_orig.jpg (105 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
394270_orig.jpg
105 KB, 960x640
>>2117637

>to catch the kaffir you must train on the kaffir.
>>
>>2117565
>puppy for a first time owner
>this is always a no
are you really so autistic to believe an adult human can't care for and raise a puppy

First points are valid though.
>>
>>2117558
>I played with some puppies today, and didn't terribly like their biting-- this is something I will work to train out as quickly as the poodle will learn.
Nipping and mouthing can last for a long time depending on the dog. My 6 month old still nips lightly when very excited.

Puppy teeth are ridiculously sharp and they don't lose them until 4-5 months. You have to be really on it from the get go.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.