[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
American Kennel Club
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1438636321607.jpg (117 KB, 1018x407) Image search: [Google]
1438636321607.jpg
117 KB, 1018x407
There was once a time when having an "AKC" pet meant something. People came to expect a certain level of quality and sophistication associated with the acronym 'AKC.' An AKC puppy still carries a much higher price tag (at 30%) over a dog without AKC registration ... now they allow mixed breeds to be registered, charge stupid amounts of money for made-in-china merchandise, and spam your email with with shit from their 'partners'.

What happened to you, AKC? You used to be cool. Now you're just another shameless web merchant.
>>
Somewhat related

A purebred Burmese Mountain dog, only 5 months old, came into the local shelter the other day. It had actual pedigree papers and AKC registration, and because it's a shelter the most they could charge for it was like $150. I'm very worried someone will adopt it and turn it over for a couple grand, because around here that's what that kind of dog is worth. At least it will be fixed.

But yeah AKC no longer equates to a good breeder. In fact, in some cases I would say it may be better having a dog that isn't up to snuff with the AKC guidelines, or a breeder that refuses to register their dogs with the AKC over conflicting views in breeding practices. As far as I know, as long as your dog is a pure bred, it can be registered with the AKC (no requirements as far as fitting the standard goes), so I guess it wouldn't necessarily hurt. Right now I think the AKC is still better than the Canadian and Westminister unfortunately. In the end they are all pretty shitty.
>>
>why is the organization made for giving people a false sense of superiority from their pets doing this??

money, like always
>>
>>2116517

If you have any control over the situation, you should try to get the shelter to turn the dog over to a strict rescue. There are ways that you can track the adoption of a dog through the microchip and there are some rescues that will keep track of the dog that way, and if they see you rehomed the dog they will come after you.

Of course, if you don't modify the chip info after the rehoming, they won't know, but who would pay a few grand for a dog and not make sure the microchip info is accurate in case they get loose?

However, burmese mountain dogs aren't really used for illegal purposes, like fighting, and if someone is willing to pay a few grand, hopefully they also have a pretty decent home. Maybe some douchebag will make some money on the situation, but I doubt the dog will end up neglected and tied to a tree, ya know?
>>
>>2116505

"AKC" used to, and still does mean something to douchebags who care about status symbols and arbitrary guidelines about what makes a certain dog a certain dog. Caring about AKC is a dead give away that someone is a total douche bag.
>>
File: 1454878422280.jpg (2 MB, 2817x2873) Image search: [Google]
1454878422280.jpg
2 MB, 2817x2873
>>2116517

Sounds like the best thing you can do is destroy those papers. It may not matter in the end, but it would definitely increase the chances of it finding a good home. Is that something you guys could do? "lose" the papers?

I have an AKC Pyrenean Mountain Dog, but even with AKC lineage, they're only worth around 800-900 for a male. And that is with the box marked saying he can't register any puppies he may produce. BYB is in the 200-300 range.
>>
>>2116529

This is what poor hippies actually believe.

Being willing to pay more for a quality product (in this case, a guaranteed medical history with the most predictable medical future, behavior, and temperament) as well as potentially being a show dog, if you're into that hobby.

Shelter dogs and breeder dogs are two completely different products that don't overlap. You're talking compact cars and pickup trucks. They have different strengths and weakness.
>>
>>2116517
>>2116527
>>2116532
papers might not make an incredible amount of difference. if ours gets in a papered dog, we don't tell the adopter until the very end of the process, if we ever do. a shelter isn't required to tell them the dog is papered. and by then it's usually pretty obvious the type of person or owner they are regardless. but people are such breedfags that they'll adopt a purebred regardless of papers, there's no reason to even bring it up.
>>
>>2116527
There's no Burmese Mt Dog Rescue nearby that would even make the trip halfway. Other dog rescues here are breed specific, don't take puppies, or are fucking scams. And I wouldn't expect a burmese mt dog to be used in that way, my biggest fear is they will give the dog to someone who can't take care of it. The dog is a mouthy fuck already, it needs to go to an experienced home or it will end up back here and need to be euthanized for biting a kid or something. Just because someone can pay money for a dog doesn't mean they should have one.

Also the couple grand includes all the work the shelter put into it (neuter, microchip, rabies, distemper, bordetella, nail trim, initial exam, etc). I just hate seeing people make money off of a struggling establishment, especially when it can end badly for the animal.

>>2116539
Any information that isn't sensitive is public, so anyone can see the papers.

>>2116538
>Shelter dogs and breeder dogs are two completely different products that don't overlap
Did you see >>2116517 ?
>>
>>2116538
>in this case, a guaranteed medical history with the most predictable medical future, behavior, and temperament
>implying a dog registered with the AKC actually means all of this
wew lad

they're interested in producing pretty, not not exactly healthy dogs. OPs entire point is that the AKC and registering dogs is bullshit and a way to up the perceived value. I know someone who got a fucking boston terrier and chihuahua cross, with papers. they're virtually meaningless
>>
File: michaeljackson.jpg (11 KB, 417x600) Image search: [Google]
michaeljackson.jpg
11 KB, 417x600
>>2116538
>Guaranteed medical history
>predictable medical future
>>
>>2116538
>a guaranteed medical history with the most predictable medical future
You mean a guaranteed shit medical gistory with a predictably bad medical future because they were inbred for generations to achieve very particular show traits with no regard for their health???
>>
>getting a goldendoodle
>was notified it wasn't AKC registered, but registered with ACHC
>asked /an/ and was told my dog would be a disease infest waste
>decided fuck it and deposited anyway since a family member had a good experiencs
>have been up to date with ultrasounds, pre-natal care, living spaces, food composition, deworming and shots, socializing, activities, etc
>she is clearly very caring of these dogs

That's when I realized AKC was nice but ultimately meant fuck all. This breeder did more for her pups than most people do for infants, and yet people would label her as a BYB simply for not having the pups registered with AKC.
>>
Hey, guys. I've been on /an/ for nearly 2 weeks now and I thought I'd come in this breeder vs. shelter thread and join in the constructive dialogue and discussion by offering my humble opinion in hopes of convincing everyone to see the error of their ways.

OMFOHGNBWOSLGNF>>>!???!!!DOKIGNSKDJOGBNKSBGK!!!!////JBDOGOGDOGDOGGSWHARGABL !!!!!11111

Thanks for your time. I look forward to the community's appreciation.

>every single person in this thread.
>>
>>2116541
>>Shelter dogs and breeder dogs are two completely different products that don't overlap
>Did you see >>2116517 ?

I meant in terms of the consumer. People that won't breeder dogs aren't going to a shelter. And people that want a shelter dog aren't looking at breeders. There is a 'market' for both kinds of dogs and they aren't in direct competition.
>>
>>2116546
>they're interested in producing pretty, not not exactly healthy dogs.

This is why people always put the word "reputable" in front of "breeder" ... not all breeders are the same. Same could be said for shelters and how much they care where their dog's end up. Some really just want them out of the door, while others will dig a little into the person adopting them.
>>
>>2116588
AKC is about show dogs, not reputable breeders. there may be overlap, but they are two different things
>>
>>2116585
>I meant in terms of the consumer. People that won't breeder dogs aren't going to a shelter
what's it like to be wrong on so many levels
>>
>>2116585
>thinks green text is a reply function
>>
>>2116598
>>thinks green text is a reply function

Hi. Welcome to the internet. You may notice in every single email exchange you've ever seen, there's a series of quotes from the previous email. Usually starting with ">". You may have to disable your email client's Idiot-Toggle and ask it to show the entire email and header.

Thanks.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.