[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get a kelpie but I've read they are very dominant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0141.jpg (47 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0141.jpg
47 KB, 399x600
I want to get a kelpie but I've read they are very dominant dogs. How do I make sure that they perceive me as the "alpha"? What must done I don't want a dog stepping all over me kek
>>
I've got a border collie/kelpie mix. Training helped a lot but she will still do her own thing on occasion. Great dog, otherwise. Not super affectionate but a great friend nonetheless. Wish we had a farm so she could do her herding thing, when shes bored she digs and destroys stuff.
>>
you got a farm, nigga?

otherwise you should just adopt some poor bastard who needs a good home for like 20$ at the local shithole shelter.
>>
>>2113000
I don't really consider them dominant. Smart and energetic yeah, a dominant one would probably depend on the individual and where they were in the litter. I have a girl and she's more headstrong then her brother which is normal with bitches.

In general, don't be a pussy or a push over. Train it to stay before coming for food. Train it to let go of a toy during tug of war and get them to sit to get it back. Teach it to heel.

Definitely get it desexed, for a myriad of other reasons as well. Especially if it's a male.

Hardest with my kelpie was solid recall at the park. You'll never outrun one so getting it to listen to you is a must. Also reconsider a different breed or a kelpie X from the pound if you don't have time to spend on a working line kelpie because it will destroy your garden, furniture, jump the 6ft fence and fuck off if bored if left outside alone a lot. Yeah they're nice looking dogs but they were bred to herd all day.
>>
File: dog.png (673 KB, 777x551) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
673 KB, 777x551
>>2113000
No more than any other dog. They are smart as fuck and will push their limits, but that's just because they're clever.
Just train well and be consistent.

And definitely get used to exercising the shit out of them. If you can give them a job, do it. I taught my kelpie cross to guard my chickens and she loved it. They're also great for agility work and love it, so if you can do agility work with your dog definitely go for it.

But yeah get a cross from the pound. Working kelpies really can't be anything other than working dogs, and there are so many crosses (and hell, even pure kelpies) in the pound that it's really better to get one of them. Pic related, my girl. Got her from the pound as a puppy, and even as a cross she is just full of energy!

(AND WORK ON RECALL HOLY SHIT THEY WILL GO BOLTING AFTER SHIT AND YOU WILL NOT CATCH THEM)
>>
Had kelpie/acd crosses. Smart, fast, contrary little dogs. The girl would egg on the boy to see if she could do something or if she would get in trouble. If her brother got in trouble, she'd wander off like she was never thinking about doing whatever. If her brother was able to do the thing without getting in trouble, she was all about it.

About running off, everyone is totally right. Mine chased after an elk herd and I went crazy looking for them. They came home 2 days later with bloody paws and happy as hell. They slept for a solid day after that. I have no idea how far into the woods they chased that elk herd.

They love having jobs. Mine rounded up all the local dogs from the other farms and started the neighborhood dog patrol. All the farm dogs would be trotting across all the properties keeping local wildlife at bay. The neighbors thought it was hilarious thankfully.

My boy would not come when called at all. Until he got a face full of porcupine quills. I heard him yelping in the distance and went running towards him frantically calling for him. I have NEVER seen a dog run so fast. He came hauling ass back to me. When he got to me, I soothed him the best I could while gently removing the quills and feeling/searching for any quills I couldn't see. After that, he came every time I called him.

Every day, the sister would sit in the center of the property where she could see everything and the brother would patrol the perimeter and check in with his sister once in a while. They guarded the property faithfully and made sure all the other animals were safe and where they should be at all times.

Ridiculous dogs. I loved them so much.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.