[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>clear the area of dead and diseased animals >prevent bacteria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: vulture.jpg (247 KB, 1266x1128) Image search: [Google]
vulture.jpg
247 KB, 1266x1128
>clear the area of dead and diseased animals
>prevent bacteria and viruses from spreading by scavenging the corpses
>look cool as shit
Why don't people like vultures?
>>
I love lappet face vultures

I use to own a 7 inches skull from one
>>
File: turkey_vulture_1.jpg (26 KB, 425x320) Image search: [Google]
turkey_vulture_1.jpg
26 KB, 425x320
Because they "look ugly" and hang out near dead things.

But yeah, they don't deserve the hate they get. They clean up the environment very well and help prevent disease, like you said. But people will always hate them because they aren't "beautiful" or "graceful" like hawks, eagles or falcons and eat rotting corpses. I'm sure that makes people imagine them as being dirty or something.

Which the graceful part is bullshit anyway, the turkey vultures around where I live are some of the most graceful fliers I've ever seen. Very cool birds, vultures are.
>>
i love them.
my fav are the condor and the king vulture
>>
>>2108972
Turkey vultures are excellent gliders and have a very impressive wingspan. They do have some problems taking off however.

Anyway, reasons why people don't like vultures:
>No song, just grunt and hiss
>Literally piss and shit on their legs to stay cool
>Will vomit when scared as a form of self defense

And lets not forget the fact they regularly carry babies away -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCxtJBqEdXs
>>
>>2108960
Industry is a virtue and sloth is a vice.

vultures don't do anything. They just float around waiting for nature to hand them a steak dinner.

pretty much the opposite of humans.
>>
>>2108960
Get black and turkey in my daily group that visits. Turkeys are what they are, skittish. The black always more relaxed and curious. Wonderful creatures, cute when you watch em for a bit, outside of a carcus at least.
Their grunt and hiss, is more like a weak dog bark, and its more like a wheeze then a hiss.
I get Storks, Great Blue Cranes, Egrets, Ibis, Sand Cranes, Spoonbills, Osprey, Several Hawks, Bald Eagle, but the ones that entertain the most, is a pair of crows. They follow us to the store, wait at the windows,and I think they are leaving gifts where I hide there food. A couple weird sticks, a fish bone, and aluminum nut so far i believe they left. Storks are interesting cause they knock on the door and stare in the windows when were late with the food.
>>
>>2108972

Well, they DO stick their heads up dead animals' rectums, you know.
>>
>>2108972
The hospital in my hometown is home to a shitton of turkey vultures. They spent all day circling around it and sunning themselves. I thought it was fucking awesome until I ended up in that hospital and saw them circling near my window.
>>
>>2109074
That video was a college project on special effects. A toddler that size would be way too heavy for any bird to carry off, not to mention its right next to it's parents. About the only bird that could do it would probably be those goat killing eagles, but even then it wouldn't risk it in the presence of an animal as big as a human.

Sigh...really wish that video would stop getting shared.
>>
>>2109074
Despite being fake, it's not even a vulture nor would a vulture be capable of grasping something like that. Pic related, turkey vulture feet.
Bearded vultures and I believe egypatian vultures have enough dexterity for carrying something off, but by no means would it be more than a couple pounds to begin with.

>>2109799
Certain eagles can lift goats/sheep, smaller deer, etc but they're always doing it off a cliff or can only get them airborne for a few feet due to the weight. They def wouldn't be capable of actually scooping something up like that and flying upwards and off with it.
>>
File: vulturefeet.jpg (132 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
vulturefeet.jpg
132 KB, 1200x675
>>2109804
Forgot my pic.
>>
>>2108961
What happened? Did u thrown it into a stew?
>>
>>2109799
>>2109804
i know, i was joking about the video.

soz, i thought the fact it was debunked so long ago would lead to it being taken humorously.
>>
>>2109816
I had to sell for dr bills
>>
>hang around dead shit
>smell terrible even for wild animal
>shit is substantially nasty
>most people think they look ugly for some reason

I agree they are cool and do a vital job while getting alot of uncalled for hate though. The general populos are just dumb to anything that isnt a fluffy mammal though.
>>
>>2109075
Like the nasty, scavenging, white-headed American bald eagle?
>>
>>2108972
New World Vultures are damn ugly, but the Old-world are cool looking guys with a permanently angry expression
>>
>>2109783
Where do you live anon?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.