[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Share stories of when you have someone animal/pet advice and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11
File: 1455073881566.jpg (556 KB, 1866x1927) Image search: [Google]
1455073881566.jpg
556 KB, 1866x1927
Share stories of when you have someone animal/pet advice and they completely refused.

>woman has kitten with smelly, decaying bulged out eye
>tell her it really needs a vet asap
>she says "well she's happy, she cuddles and purrs, so she's obviously not in pain. I'm not going to a vet and wasting money"
>I tell her, and encourage her, to please let me keep the kitten so I can help it
>she gets really mad and says it's none of my business and to leave
>her neighbors eventually called the police on her for hoarding animals
>hopefully the kitten was rescued

It kills me that I couldn't take it. It's nearly traumatizing to remember.
>>
>>2104072
When I was younger, a stray we picked up had puppies. They were all adorable. It was during the summer and my dad refused to let them inside. They were all in a kennel with the mom with a tarp over the top.

One day, I found one dead. Heat exhaustion.

The rest died soon after.

I kept telling him to let them in. I even brought them into my room and got yelled at for it. The last few were sick and I asked if he could take them to a vet. The last one I held in my arms as it died...

The mother ended up escaping the kennel and got pregnant again. She died just as she went into labor.
>>
File: IMG_20160418_174610.jpg (96 KB, 540x891) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160418_174610.jpg
96 KB, 540x891
>>2104081
We also lived by two busy roads as a child. The stray we picked up when he left my mom and we moved out in the country. But before that we lived in town. Two major roads, one in the front of the house, one going past the side. We lived on the corner.

My mom kept 3 cats at a time. Never spayed/neutered. I'd keep one and it'd get run over. Keep another one...same thing. I pleaded with them to have the cats fixed but apparently we were too poor/they couldn't call around for a voucher bc they are both lazy shits. I gave up on that and just pleaded with them to keep my kitten inside. That didn't happen either.

I began to be distanced with pets my family kept. I could never get close to them because I just knew...

So here I am with a kitten I can finally get close to. She's my little friend and I don't have useless idiots let her out. Planning on getting her fixed soon once she gets older. She's 12 weeks old.

>pic related, 9 weeks old in pic
>>
>>2104088
I'm also an adult now.

To anyone who experienced losing pets one after another due to shitty parents, I'm so so sorry and I feel you. I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm sorry if it made you indifferent to animals/pets. It'll get better. :) Especially when you can make your own rules.
>>
>>2104093
Your tortie is cute. They always have feisty attitudes, not mean, but like strong independent woman that don't need no man, but needs cuddles sometimes.

>have roommate
>he has an indoor/outdoor cat
>I tell him his cat should stay indoors like mine
>I also tell him if he ever lets mine outside again (he did once) I will beat his ads
>his cat eventually gets hit by a car, its skull is wide open
>he gets really sad for a while
>now has a new cat that he lets out every day despite me telling him to stop
>>
I really need to get that of my chest...

>Have an older sister happily married with a good man, they have a little daughter of 10 months old now
>Good people, but...
>They also have 3 cats and 2 dogs
>Since my niece was born, the dogs barely go outside twice a day for their needs, the cats are not allowed to go outside (they have a very big garden and live next to a little, one way only road. No big risks in sight)
>The dogs are sometimes forgotten... They wait for hours because they're good dogs, then they can't keep it anymore, and do it in their room (very small room btw)
>Walks? Lol what are walks?
>I try to make my sister and brother in law wake up
>"Lol the day you'll have a JOB and a KID TEHN you can tell me what to do!"

>WOULD YOU LET YOUR DAUGHTER IN HER POOP FOR HOURS?
>WOULD YOU LET HER LIVE 23,5/24 IN A 6m2 WITH 2 DOGS AND 3 CATS?

>Then.... Then why are you accepting and doing this to your dogs (and cats)? Because they have fur and 4 legs?

Fuck you. Fuck them. I love them, but it's a real let down. Job, daughter or whatev, you have pets, you take care of your fucking pets.
>>
>>2104232
Forgot something. Before the daughter was born, cats and dogs were allowed in the other rooms of the house (living room, mostly). Since the daughter is born, sadly....

>"Aw it's so sad but with my baby I can't let them in the living room, they're putting hair everywhere! I have to clean everyday or so, but it's really a shame"

It's sad to say but they're really your typical cliché of people that forget about their pet the SECOND they get kids. Like it's some sort of remplacement or what. They were so happy when they got their pet, was that fake?
>>
>>2104234
kids are just way better than pets.

you can't really explain it until you have some.
>>
>>2104236
Yeah okay, I can accept that. But I can't accept that you just forget your pet because you have kids. That's not normal, it happens, okay, and yeah they're busy as fuck, okay. But this is no excuse. Like I said, they wouldn't do it to their daughter, so why do it to their pet? I'm no "animals r like us <3" extremist, but there is a limit.

So you seems like you have kids yourself. Do you, or did you have pet at the same time? How did you manage?
>>
>>2104238
>So you seems like you have kids yourself.
yep
>Do you, or did you have pet at the same time?
yep
>How did you manage?
I confined my dogs to the kitchen and yard and I ignored them for 4 years straight.

between working for a living and taking care of a kid you really don't have time for anything else.

If you did you'd sleep.
>>
>>2104245
Well I can't really accept that. But at least yours had access freely to the yard, they had space and a place to do their thing.
>>
A couple of months ago, I heard some meowing coming from the family truck(we don't have any pets). I spent 20 mins looking the furry noise making machine and trying to lure it out of the truck. Then discovered the meowing was coming from the engine, long story short: I took the kitten out of the truck, it was full of oil and dirt so I cleaned her up (it was a she) and then my mom arrived home. Man, she was FURIOUS(my mom hates animals, specifically cats). She ordered me to kick the cat out or I would be kicked out to. I got out of the house and went to my girlfriend's. At the end I found a girl who's hobby is taking care of foster cats until someone adopted them.
>>
>>2104252
>Well I can't really accept that
it doesn't matter.

if you never have kids you can go on judging those that do. If by some miracle you reproduce and stick around to take care of the wailing, stinking brat you'll suddenly understand.

in time that brat will grow up and judge you for things you did without actually understanding any of it. And that's fine. That's how it works.
>>
>>2104108
>They always have feisty attitudes, not mean, but like strong independent woman that don't need no man, but needs cuddles sometimes.
Oh my god yes! They're so like that. She "attacks" your leg and bounces off when you turn to look at her. She comes in for pets and suddenly decides attack mode!

I picked a tortoiseshell because my beloved first cat, Crystal was one. She was my first kitty. The only one smart enough to not wander near the road. And boy did she have personality! Idk what happened to her though...I think she ran off to find a better home lol
>>
>>2104108
>now has a new cat that he lets out every day despite me telling him to stop

You should get him to let the cat out on a harness if he's one to believe that "cats do best outside" or something along those lines. I frequently let Khaleesi (the tortoiseshell) out with her harness and leash.
>>
When I was 11, my parents surprised me with a golden retriever puppy. I spent the next 5 years fighting with them and trying to protect this dog.

>Parents confine him to our tiny kitchen after only a few weeks because he's "too big for such a small house"
>Dog chews table and cabinets out of boredom
>Parents eventually say he has to live outside
>Build tiny 8x8 ft yard with a wood floor for him which he spends every day in regardless of weather
>Dog is never fixed and fly bites cause open sores on his testes
>Below zero temperatures with shitty dog house so he cries and howls
>Sneak him into the house and get the belt
>Consider letting him out on "accident" so he can find a new family but we lived close to a very busy and dangerous road
>One day he actually does escape
>I see his ad in the paper as found but I never called

I hope that poor dog lived a good rest of his life. He deserved so so much better than he had.
>>
>>2104331
You did the right thing, I'm sure he lived a good life.
>>
>>2104327
>>"Lol the day you'll have a JOB and a KID THEN you can tell me what to do!"

I'm sorry but I can assure you that even when I'll.... Reproduce (god, what?), I will not forget the other live beings of the house. You take time from your pleasure time to be with, to take care of your animals. You have one hour of freedom after putting the baby to sleep before having to shower and go to bed? Well, you don't spend it watching some crap on tv. You take that time for your animals, first. If AFTER that you have 20 minutes of Netflix left, then good. No time left? Too bad. At least you did good by your pet. You know, the creature that see you like a god and that you're supposed taking care of.

When I see threads like that with people who cares, who really cares about their animals, well every animal in general even, I'm sure I'm not the only one who think like that. A pet is not a toy you trow when you don't have time anymore. It's a responsability, and like other responsabilites, you don't walk away from them.

Would you call sick and bail at your job every other day because the brat is a nightmare? Or, like I said earlier (but you seem to only pick what you like in my post), if it was your brat that was reclused in the kitchen-yard, full of poop to the belly for hours, would you see it as normal? "Fuck it, I have other more important things to do"?

Well I don't like stupid argument like that, and especially not on 4chan. So I'll stop there, I don't see the point of continuing. You feel right, you think that you did gud, well that's great. Some people have conscience, some have not. Oh and continue cligging to the fact that I can't tell until I myself have a brat! That way you can trow everything I said earlier and carry one with your life.
>>
>>2104238
As a person with two kids, two snakes, and one cat I can vouch that I at least have time for my pets. I make time for my pets. When my spouse comes home from work I fucking have his ass watch these hell spawn so I can cuddle with kitty, take her outside on her harness (kinda like a dog, right?) and handle my corns.

But I do know a couple who don't have a kid who fucking trade their pets on FB constantly.

Also know of a single mom who had a cat. Cat was left outside as an outside cat and eventually ran off.

Then there's my brother who tied a puppy to a porch and...the puppy hung itself...

Yeah...this thread is bringing up even worse memories now...
>>
>>2104327
Yeah, no.
Those pets didn't ask to be bred into existence, you bought them for your own amusement. They're your responsibility and they're just as alive as your kid.
I totally understand prioritizing your child over your pet, but unless you're literally taking care of your child every waking minute (and I've yet to see a parent do that, don't kid yourself), you have no excuse for completely neglecting a social animal like that. My neighbor got twins a few years ago and took care of a puppy at the same time. The dog has full access to the whole house, the garden, and gets multiple walks every day, with the children accompanying.
If you can't take care of your animal, it's your responsibility to give it to someone who can.
>>
>>2104337

Thank. You.

Yeah this thread is not very good with the feels, eh. Can you really walk a cat with a harness? Doesn't he hate that? I saw a lot of people trying but cats are so stubborn.

>>2104338

Thank you2
>>
>>2104340
Well...it's not like walking down the side walk. At least not for me and my neighborhood. She follows me, so it's like I'm walking her. But she'll stop to pounce on something or listen for something.

We have alot of stray dogs running around. One time I was out in the yard and here comes this mutt running up to me barking and looking intently at my fluffy steak chop. I have a black lab in the back yard that I'm currently keeping until I find him a home. He's used to my cat. So I see this dumb dog and I snatch up Khaleesi real quick, about to kick the shit out of it. Then comes Butch running around the corner. Never seen him aggressive towards another dog. But he had his teeth bared about to tear into this fuck. Well, the dog eventually runs off after a wary moment like "I want the cat but is it worth going through this big bastard?" I ran her inside and the dog fucked off.

I know this isn't a bad pet case, but I just wanted to share that in case it cheered some of y'all up. Def cheered me up. I have alot of painful memories.
>>
>>2104337
>When my spouse comes home from work
if one of you can afford to stay home then you've got some options most parents don't get.
>>
But yeah, basically just letting the cat wander around on a tether so you can act fast if she/he gets spooked and bolts or something like my story happens.

Oh, and I guess to keep it from killing wildlife, that's always nice.

Now, cats are naturally independent and don't like constraints. They'd need to get used to the harness as a kitten before attempting to walk them outside or else they would fight the harness. You could probably pull it off on an adult cat. Maybe one used to having a collar.
>>
>>2104347
>fluffy steak chop

I have weird images in mind now, thank you. Khaleesi is a nice name, friend. The fact that "your" dog protected your kitten doesn't surprise me, dogs can be incredibly protective with the rest of the family. Good to know he has your back!

Thank you for explaining the harness case. That must be nice to have her walking with you like that. Oh and I agree on the wildlife killing, I always had a hard time seeing my cats being relentless killers, one minute they're purring on your laps, the other they're killing for fun. I know I know, nature, instinct and stuff. But still...
>>
>>2104348
Hmm yeah, I guess so. I am living with my mom ATM. Haven't had luck finding a babysitter or affordable daycare so I stay at home to watch them. And before you gripe about us mooching off my mom, know that we pay her rent and two major bills.

He's got a pretty good job. Just waiting until they can go to school to look for one. All of my family works. And my mom is kinda disabled, couldn't have her watch them.
>>
>>2104357
You're welcome. :)

Yeah I'm the same way. They don't look like killers until you see one take down a bird. Or strays fighting nearly to death.
>>
>>2104348
However, me watching the kids while he's at work really doesn't allow me that much free time for the pets until he gets home. But even if we both worked, I'd still have time for pets. We have before. It's about how you manage your time.

Oh the infants asleep? Cuddles time. Oh let's take the toddler and dog out for a walk. They do make strollers. If there's two parents, one can watch the kids while the other takes care of the pets. It's not that hard.
>>
>>2104072
>living in the country
>have nighbour who decides a dog is what she wants
> she works from 3- 11 at night every day
>sleep from when she comes home to 12 about two hours jeg before she leaves for work
>now owns a chihuahua
>ends up living with me almost
>she never walks it so it shits and pee everywhere
>tells her she needs to potty train him or else i can't keep taking care of him
>i walk with him cause he fits my bunnies leash
>she don't even own a leash to him
>offered her the one i have "meh i don't need it"
>now the dog is alone from morning to night almost everyday... And she doesn't walk it

Luckily her door is never locked so i often take it out with mine dogs when we're going for long trips and being outside so he at least isn't alone.
>>
>>2104330
I don't even let my cat go on a leash.
I like to walk with him on my shoulder.
I live in a very busy city where the streets are pretty much a constant stream of cars and buses, and he never learned to walk where I'm leading him. He would probably get scared of the loud noises and get run over by a car or one of those cyclist cunts that ride on the pavement.
Or get trampled by the ton of people walking

I just put him in a harness with a leash, place him on my shoulder and walk around. People give me weird looks but who gives a shit. Sometimes a loud noise makes the cat jump off but I keep the leash short enough that he stops before hitting the ground. The harness safely distributes his weight and he's not overweight so he's perfectly safe.

t. Big guy with big shoulders.
>>
>"dad, my hamster's sick."
>"no he isn't"
>dead hamster
>>
>>2104072
>Friend of the family buys rabbits
>Cool, I own a couple of rabbits myself
>Also own about a dozen rats, 2 parakeets
>for 14, I kinda know my shit
>Come over to visit, see her bunnies for the first time
>It's the height of summer, somewhere around mid July
>First thing I notice is that their bottles are empty, and their cage needs cleaning, it kinda stinks
>Take water bottles, fill them, give to rabbits
>They go for the bottle like crazy
>owner notices, she flies into a rage and screams at me
>"THEY'RE JUST BABIES YOU'VE JUST GIVEN THEM A PINT OF WATER, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING, YOU WOULDN'T GIVE A BABY A PINT OF WATER!!!"
>Admittedly, she is a mother of 3
>But these rabbits are old enough to breed
>Try to explain, get yelled at.
>Give up, go upstairs to hang out with her sons, we play vidya, I try to forget the whole affair
>As I go upstairs, she takes the water bottles off of the door and empties them into the sink
>A week later, the rabbits died due to dehydration
>3 weeks later, she buys new rabbits

I swear to fuck, rabbits are the single most neglected animal. Everyone I've known who has gotten them hasn't managed to keep them for a year before one of the following hits

Starvation

Exposure (Domesticated rabbits are not really supposed to stay out in an exposed hutch with no bedding)

Dehydration

Literally just being left to sit in it's own piss and shit for weeks.

Foxes ("Anon, they keep getting at our rabbits, what do we do?" "Don't keeep the rabbits outside unsupervised. Bring them in at night." But they're rabbits, they're meant to live outside")
>>
>>2104429
Turtles too. I think as far as reptiles are concerned, turtles are by far the most often abused.

And I've never met anybody irl who keeps their rabbit inside per what modern care methods suggest. Everybody keeps their cramped in a little shitty outside hutch and think that's okay. As far as small mammals go, I'd say your correct in saying that rabbits are the most often abused
>>
>>2104446
I've always kept mine inside. Minimum of 2 hutches. One indoors for sleeping and living in, one outdoors for shelter when they're outside. They'd be brought in every evening, and rarely let out during the winter, usually only on the warmest days, and for brief periods of maybe an hour.
>>
>>2104348
Seriously, it's not that fuckings hard to have a dog and a kid. I have a kid and a dog and both me and my SO work full time. You got that dog so it's your responsibility to take care of that dog, so stop being a lazy shit.

My usual schedule every day:
>wake up 6
>fix myself until 6:30
>walk dog for 15 min
>meanwhile SO fixes breakfast and lunches for the kids
>wake kids about 6:45
>drop off kids at kindergarten around 7:30-7:40
>go to work at 8

>finish work at 4
either me or my SO
>go home, walk dog for 30 min
or
>go pick up kids on my way home and start making dinner

>put kid to bed at 8
>free time until we go to bed at 11
>walk dog for 15 min right before bedtime

Weekends:
>do some family stuff with kids and dog

Obviously we don't have as much time as we used to, but it's not like you have to ignore your dog either.
>>
>>2104236
If you don't have the time to take care of you pets then you need to be responsible and re-home them. Keeping them in a condition described by >>2104232 is arguably abuse.
>>
>>2104108
Don't you fucking love catfags?

>roomie has 4 outdoor cats
>"I'm scared of having them explore the outside"
>good
>but I need to and have no other choice!
>talk to him about how he doesn't need to and his other choices, all of which is ignored
>cat #1 goes missing for days, he's sad and think he's dead
>finds cat torn to shreds, but keeps letting other cats out
>cat #2 also found dead
>roommate bitches about nature being cruel
>still let's his cats out
I just don't
>>
>>2104327
I have kids and think people like you are scumbag. My opinions are 100% valid because I have children, and therefore you should seriously consider killing yourself
>>
>>2104851
>I have kids
sure you do.
>>
>>2104807
It is abuse. Living in feces is a biohazard, not just for the animals but the humans too
>>
>>2104807
>>2105026
Thank you both. I try everytime I see them to make them open their eyes. First I was nice, then a little less nice, then not nice at all. That's when the "Lol when you'll have an job and a kid we'll talk about it" came. I'm not the only one that see it's not normal, but, how can I say.... It seems the other just see that at "not normal, but meh, it's okay, let it slide". It's fucking not okay.

Oh and don't even think about telling me to call the animal abuse service or whatever. You have to practically beat your animals to death and have 48 cats for these people to move and act at all.

Sadly I don't see any solution here. They surely woudn't let me have the dogs.

>"You... You want to take MY DOGZ?! My babies?! How can you propose that, I love them!!! ;( "

Or something like that. I would pass as a monster, of course.
>>
>>2104843
T.... Torn to shreds? My, that's harsh. Do you live by a busy road or what?

Now, I'm not saying he's right, especially if two cats already died. But in the case of cats, if your cat already got outside one or twice (or if you got him from the street), it's very hard on them to not let them out. A cat that only knew his entire life the house life will be happy. A cat that had a preview of what liberty is... Will want to go outside again.

So Anons, if you live by a busy road or something, think twice about letting your cat out. If you change your mind after some time, the cat will surely be depressed. I still think it's better than death don't get me wrong, again.
>>
>>2104384
I bet that's an impressive sight. :) The harness is like a safety harness for bungee jumping for your cat lel
>>
>>2105062
Still fishing for replies, huh?
Nobody's biting, let it go.
>>
>my mom has 4 cats
>she has ONE litter box
>she's always complaining when they pee outside the litter box
>tell her that behavior would stop if they had an appropriate number of litter boxes, and that they NEED more
>she always disregards me, tells me they don't pee outside the litter box unless she doesn't scoop it "on time"
>"on time" is within an hour of their normal routine
>tell her that they are this finicky about it because they need more boxes
>she never gets more, continues to complain about them peeing outside the box

It's frustrating to me. Other than this one issue, she takes really good care of her cats and they are all healthy and loved. I just wish she would listen to me because they'd be a lot happier (and my mom would have an easier time caring for them) if they had more litter boxes
>>
File: 1460922559224.gif (105 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
1460922559224.gif
105 KB, 318x318
>>2104331
>I see his ad in the paper as found but I never called
>>
>>2104843
I hate people like this. There are countless dangers to letting your cat outside and they STILL let them out for whatever arbitrary reasons they can bullshit

>Going off to college and rent an apartment near campus
>Water pipe in my apartment breaks before I can move in (it's a pretty nice apartment but accidents happen) and it's gonna be a few weeks for the pipe and wall to be fixed
>School starts before then, so I decide to just live in the dorms until then
>Dorms don't allow pets, and my dad lives two hours away. I moved all my shit to my mom's house since she's only an hour away from my house and I decide to bring my cat as well so he can take two separate one hour long drives instead of one big two hour long one
>Tell my mom not to let them out, show her the leash and harness I use for him, write a list of everything she needs to do to take care of him
>Come back a month later to take him with me (I never got time to visit him, but I called my mom every day to ask about him and he seemed fine) and he has ticks and tapeworms from letting him outside
>Litter box is in the garage for some reason, and she told me she let him out to use it when he asked
>Litter box looks like it hasn't been cleaned all month, and is filled with worms

She reimbursed me for the vet visit and parasite meds he needed, but I still feel so bad about letting him live like that. It hurt me so much to be away from him for so long, and I hadn't been away from him for more than a week over the 13 years I've had him

When my mom came to visit my apartment, she told me she was amazed how I left his litter in the entrance hall and have it not smell or have litter everywhere. Surprisingly enough, that's what happens when you scoop it every day like you're supposed to
>>
>Got a puppy as a young child, love her very much
>A few years after, she's grown up, she's still amazing and my best friend. I'm 15 at this point.
>She gets severely sick. Won't eat, bloated, puking, won't shit, constant mewling.
>"Mom, we need to take her to the vet."
>"She'll be fine. I don't want to spend money on her."
>3 days pass, she's only getting worse.
>Mom still refuses to take her to the doctor.
>5 days now
>Argue with my mom, tell her I'll pay for the fees with my allowance, which is just barely enough for a vet checkup.
>She starts arguing with me on the car, threaten to not go because "I'm being immature."
>Shut my mouth because my dog is more important than my pride
>Turns out her womb was bursting with fluids or something, and if we had delayed it even a day more, she'd be dead.
>Burst into tears, watch mom try to fucking haggle the surgery price
>She gets mad when I yell at her for pulling this crap
I'll never forgive her for this shit. I still get livid remembering it.
>>
Oh fack I just remembered something. How could I not think of it earlier...

>Mum has 3 female cats, she takes good care of it, can't say she doesn't
>Someday an abandonned male cat comes by and decide he likes us, stay there with us
>Always giving shit to our cats, fighting, hissing,... Well alright, he'll stay outside in a little shelter

>That cat fights a lot... Has a lot of scars and injuries
>Someday one of the injuries get infected
>Bro cat is not feeling well, at all. It's mid-october so staying outside in his condition is not good either
>"Mom, let him go inside, just look at him"
>"No, you know our cats don't like him"
>Like seriously? We're talking about a sick cat here, and he could have stayed in another room.
>"Mom do something, he's in REALLY bad shape!"
>Parents broke as fuck all the time, will not get him to the vet, and will still not let him in.

Now I still hate myself for that...

>The situation continue, one day I'm almost ready to get him inside myself.
>Why didn't I do that?
>Bro cat is gone the day after
>Search everywhere, never found. He surely went to die alone somewhere in the wood.

And yet, despite everything, my mom is acting all sad everytime we speak about him. I have very mixed feeling about her and animals. She sterilize them, take good care in general, but that story... I cannot forget it.
>>
>>2104072

I wasn't the one giving advice

>in a petco
>lady comes in and goes to the pet carrier aisle
>makes disappointed noises as she browses
>tiny, mousy high school employee asks if she needs help
>lady tells the employee that she wants a purse that she can put the dog into and carry it around with her other stuff
>employee politely tells her that that is not advisable, and leads to stress and poor behavior etc
>woman tries to defend herself saying stuff like "I've read its fine" and "you see people do it all the time"
>Woman is escalating conversation with her shitty tone and volume
>tiny, tiny employee continues to politely insist that many reliable sources advise against it
>woman makes a shitty noise and storms out of the store

I was laughing, but the employee was sort of shaken. I went over and told her she did a great job in that situation and that she was totally right.
>>
People not taking pet advice is basically the reason I switched to wildlife instead of domestics. I've told this story before, but it still makes me so god damn mad

>helping with a kitten adoption fair
>woman and kid come in and wants to meet a certain 3 month old kitten
>supervise while she and her kid visit with the kitty
>she tells me she currently has a 9 year old cat
>tells me she is looking for a cat that will be a companion to her current cat, and that she will give it to a shelter when her current cat dies
>I tell her that those are not conditions that we adopt out under, and that we would not be adopting a kitten to her
>she tries to play the "well my son likes the cat and is already attached card!"
>ok bitch, how is he gonna feel when you do this to him in 5 years?
>she leaves
>I talk to the unorganized rescue director
>She saw the lady, and agrees she will not adopt to this woman under any circumstance
>1 month later, I am helping with another adoption fair
>the same lady comes in and talks to the director, thanking her for the kitten
>after she leaves, I tell her that is the woman who wants to rehome
>directors face goes white and eventually she says "I'm going to have to get that cat back then"

I'm glad she was going to get the cat back, but I stopped volunteering for her after that so I don't know how that ended.
>>
>have a bunch of barn cats in middle school
>two males and a female
>I always, always wanted to keep them inside but my parents REFUSED to let it happen
>so I try to take the best care of them that I can
>my favorite male gets hit by a car, of course
>over time, the female has multiple litter of kittens before I FINALLY convinced my mother to get her fixed
>we never had a single one live to adulthood, they all either succumbed to disease, were taken by predators, or were fucked by a car in some horrible, bloody manner
>at least 20 kittens through the years, many of them reduced to bloody messes that I had to bury
btw the two males were random """gifts""" from my aunt, the female was a stray. I loved them all to death but they were honestly just thrown on us
>finally, only the male and female are left, both fixed
>the female eventually gets her throat torn out by a feral tom
>the male, our last cat, literally the sweetest cat I've ever met, he's all we have left
>at this point I've 100% prescribed to the "indoor only" rule for cats (still do to this day)
>I try to find him a new home but nobody will take and I'm busy looking at college stuff and finishing my senior year
>in college now, nearby so still bumming a room off my folks
>our last cat, at 7 years old, finally bites the dust after getting hit by a car like a month into it

so at this point I tell everybody that we will not be having any more cats unless they are inside (which my folks would never do so that basically meant no cats). I'm the one who takes care of literally every animal we own save for my brothers' pigs (we have chickens, dogs, lots of herps) so any cat we got would be under my care whether I like it or not.

(cont.)
>>
>Hanging out with a buddy
>We see a baby crow under a car
>I tell him we ought to not touch it or move it to some bushes or something
>He picks it up
>Just starts fucking strangling it
>Stand there frozen as I watch that little baby die
>Friend just goes on his way like nothing happened

Man am I glad I got rid of that guy, and that he's in jail now.
>>
>>2105185
cont.
>we get a slight rat problem in the barn now that the cats are out and there's pig feed everywhere
>my mother, who is literally never in the barn ever, insists that we get another cat to "fix the rat problem"
>I'm adamant about this "no barn cats rule
>explain to her how many pulverized kittens I've had to bury, how we've had thirteen cats at one point and now we have none, all for a reason
>I loved those cats and I had to bury them every time they die because I was never given the opportunity to properly care for them as a kid

>fast forward to a few months ago
>this scraggly redneck son of a bitch shows up at the house with his wife
>asks where I want to put the cat
>confusion
>and then rage as I hear that this guy's wife works with my mother
>she told them to "feel free to bring one of their cats to our house"
>behind my back, after I told everybody time and time again
>the rats aren't even there anymore, I did a big poison/trapping regimen and haven't seen any for weeks now
>guess who has to care for this cat?
>try to rehome it, shelters won't take owner surrenders, nobody wanted it
>mother too lazy to spay her
>little shit draws in a feral tom that fucking kills three chickens that I've raised from babies
>and yet I'm the one caught feeding and watering her everyday because if I didn't, then it'd starve
>two weeks ago
>my old man comes up to me and tells me I need to bury the cat because it crawled up inside the truck and got its skull smashed

Why do people refuse to listen? Every. Single. Time. I tell everybody "guys, cats are pets that are meant to be kept indoors. Horrible things happen to them when they're left to their own devices outside"

Nobody listens. I've had to bury kittens with their eyes popping out of their heads from having their brains smashed by cars. That kind of horrible shit is why I'm always going to be all for keeping cats inside
>>
>>2105189
I feel you bro, my mom refused to have my first cat indoors and he got run over and basically had his spine pulverized. That little guy was in pain for a whole damn month before my mom went to get him put down. Sorry to hear though, but your family does seem uncaring if I were to only judge based on what you've told here.
>>
You fucks don't know how to greentext.

>Sister wants a pet
>Explain to her and mom why its a bad idea
>Sister gets several angel fish
>Puts them in a tapwater aquarium
>They all die by the end of the week
>"Told you this would happen"
>$145 thrown away
>>
>>2105192
I'm sorry about your cat bro. Something I wish I wasn't so familiar with

And honestly, they don't really give a fuck about animals, where with me, they're my life. I'm actually in a vet tech program at school right now.

Like I can understand not caring about the herps (lizards, frogs, turtles) because those are all my pets, I bought them, I keep them in my room, I pay for their vet bills, food, equipment, okay. I have no problem with that.

But when I have to constantly nag at you and threaten to rehome the family dog if you don't take her to the vet, then there's a problem. Everybody wanted this dog, and now it's just a burden because nobody wants to care for her, but I can't rehome her because it's "my mother's dog". Like that's one pet, and the collective rest of my family can't even take good care of her, that bothers me, because I'm left filling in the gaps when the responsibility should be shared by everyone.

Needless to say, I'll be excited when I'm finally in a financial state where I can get my own place
>>
>>2105199
Yeah at least my parents wizened up and fenced off the garden to keep the cats in, although I'm iffy about the electric fence even if it isn't very strong. But then again they live next to the main road in their town so I guess it makes sense.
But it's good that I wasn't entirely off in my assumption then, I figured it might've come across as rude but Imo they should probably just not keep animals in that case. It downright sounds like animal cruelty.
But good luck with the education bro, at least you'll definitely afford your own place in due time.
>>
>>2104327
My single mother who had two high maintenance kids always treated our pets with great care. She didn't have a lot of money and had two dogs, two cats, a horse at one point, and other smaller animals. You have no excuse and judging by the way you describe your own child I'm guessing that your not that great a parent either.
>>
>>2105068
Eh, I have 4 cats and one litter box. But it's a 40 gallon tub that is cleaned twice a day, everyday. No issues whatsoever.
>>
My aunt for a while would not stop buying dogs and then keeping them outside in a large-ish wooden-slat fenced pen where their only contact with a person was to get fed.

Now she only has 1 dog and it's kept leashed in their back yard, again, with no contact.

I was over visiting once and went to say hello to the poor dog and it basically glued itself to my legs. The yearning for contact was insane. I pet her for a bit and then had to leave, and the sadness in this dog's wailing still haunts me.
>>
>>2105632
Yeah, their litter box isn't tiny, but it's certainly not that huge either (It's one of those round ones with the dome tops.) And it only gets cleaned once a day.

Maybe I'll suggest for her to get a bigger litter box? She might actually be open to that, and it might help. Thanks.
>>
>>2104232
>the cats are not allowed to go outside
That's a good thing, anon.
>>
>>2105730
I know this is not a popular opinion here, but there is seriously like 0% danger around their house. Very big garden, forest-like surrounding (Europe, so no big animals that could hurt, kill or eat a cat), one way road in a residential area. There are 5 cars that pass here a day : the guys that go to work, the guys that come home. that's it. And it's a very friendly neighborhood where they're cautious about speed. It's nearly ideal.

But let's say you still find it dangerous for them to go outside, it's not a reason to keep 5 animals in a 6m2 room. Even in a appartment or house, cats need to play, run a little, that kind of stuff. They don't move at all in a little room like that.
>>
>>2105136
>letting cats outside without regular flea/tick & worm treatment
>thinking outdoor cats don't need a clean litter box
>going against explicit instructions of the owner
>letting an indoor cat outside out of lazyness

I'm not opposed to letting cats outside depending on circumstance, but your mom was an A+ twatwad. Glad your cat was ok, and at least she had the decency to pay for his treatment.
>>
>>2105153
If there were any rescues or sanctuaries you could have taken it to, that might have been an option. However, I can't really fault your parents for prioritizing their pets over a stray.
>>
>>2105748
I don't know about your country, but in mine stray cat have a 0% chance or close to that of being adopted, especially an old, ugly full of scars cat. There are 40 cats put down every day in summer in only the facility of my town.

And like I said, it's not like they didn't have the possibility of putting him in the garage, other room or whatev.

Oh and... All of our cats were stray like him at first, they all came by themselves to us. It's so sad he was put aside because he was a male (and a dickhead, I give you that)
>>
>>2105731
The reason isnt that it's dangerous outside, it's that they kill wildlife.If you feel your indoor space isn't enough then don't get a fucking cat.
>>
>>2105763
Well that's not something you hear often. For you it's the only reason, really? Is there someone else here that think that way too? Serious question here.
>>
File: 2а.png (69 KB, 1330x722) Image search: [Google]
2а.png
69 KB, 1330x722
>>2105766
>Is there someone else here that think that way too?
About wildlife? Since people tend to think there's nothing really rare around them by default, it's a standard, justified response.
>>
File: 1.png (80 KB, 1079x628) Image search: [Google]
1.png
80 KB, 1079x628
Although nobody gives a shit about African rodents and north European birds really.
>>
>>2105766
I'm European too, live in a rural area, and still keep my cats inside.
They compete with native predators like foxes, martens, owls, hawks and stoats. It's not a good idea to let them out, especially if they're not neutered/spayed.
>>
>>2105766
Domestic cats originate from North Africa, the middle East, and South Asia so if you don't live there, cats are an invasive species
>>
>>2105789
Thank you for the information! I just want to say, there must surely be a difference in term of birds/prey killed if the cat is abandonned/wild or a housecat. A housecat will kill for the fun, maybe once every two days if he's a good hunter. A wild cat will hunt for food, so he'll definitely hunt more and therefore kill more. Just a thought, but it seems pretty logical to me. I'm not refuting your document.

>>2105794
We always had our cats neutered, we're not joking with that kind of thing. But I definitely see your point, and of course I was always sad/angry seeing my cats hunting just for the fun of it. But I must also say that I saw by myself the good the outdoor live can do to a cat. We had a frail, little cat, traumatized from childhood. She was very tiny, always scared of everything. She stayed indoor a long period of time because my mom was scared to let her go outside (she was so scared of everything, she thought it would make it worse). Someday finally, the cat got out. In only some weeks the change was extraordinary. Suddenly she was full of confidence, happy, and she (no I'm not kidding, and no she was not a kitten anymore) suddenly grew up.

Now I'm allergic to cats so I don't know if I'll have one in the future. If we live by a busy road, in a shitty neighborhood, anything like that, my cat will be an indoor cat, because I don't want to see his tiny corpse smashed on the road someday. But if I live in good condition for him to go out, he will go out. Because I saw how happy it makes them. Sorry, it seems to be a very unpopular opinion and I'm not here to fight anyone, but that's how I think. Don't forget that cats were wildlife too, you would find it cruel to keep a dog in all the time, why are you acting different for a cat? They're not as domesticated as the dog, additionnaly.
>>
>>2105798
I take my cat on walks on a leash, like a dog. I also play with it indoors until it's so tired it's panting. It gets plenty of exercise.

The thing with cats is, their population is growing out of control. I don't know where you live, but in my country, the population has grown by several millions since 100 years ago. Which means the cat population has also grown by several millions. And 100 years ago, at least people drowned kittens they couldn't take care of. Nowadays people just let them live, and reproduce even more.
When walking around the forest I would much rather see a fox than 15 semi-feral cats.
>>
>>2105805
That's great for your cat, so it seems the leash thing is more common than I thought, huh. Were you the same anon that talked about a leash before?

That's why we always neutered them. I'm totally with you on the point of abusive reproduction and population. In my country there is a free service of neuterization for abandonned cat. If you see an abandonned cat on your street, they will get it and spay it, and then set him free where it was taken. Additionnaly, it can help very broke people to spay their cats, saying it's not their. The association is very well aware that it's a lie, but it's better than having a lot of unwanted cats in your city.

I never saw a semi-feral cat where I live, maybe I'm just in a lucky country. I remember when I went to Spain, the situation was totally out of control. There were cats everywhere. I think there was also a general neuterization program there.
>>
>10-11 year old me, living with mom, her bf and my step-sister
>We adopt a kitten, super sweet and somewhat independant, lovely overall
>We all think it's ok for cats to go outside because hey, that's what everyone does, and we were all misinformed shits
>Live in a flat with a huge sort of concrete yard, concrete wall/fence, cat likes going outside and walks on the fence, as she grows up she starts jumping on the neighbours air conditioner from the fence and back down over and over, seems she really enjoyed it
>Fastfoward a few months, my older brother, his then-gf and their daughter move in with us because reasons
>They bring their cat, a lovely and really dependant tuxedo, liked being all over people all the time
>Both our cats were young, so they got along well quickly
>Both got to go outside
>Both cats started going to another people's yards and whatnot
>One day, my cat comes back, but my brother's doesn't
>We start hearing meowing, as if the cat that was doing so was in pain
>But where is it coming from?
>We search around the house, until we decide to get out of the flat and follow the noise
>It's coming from the elevator
>Someone threw the cat down the elevator hole
>After hours of rescue, the cat's saved and inmediatly taken to the vet
>Has grease all over its fur, and her backlegs are broken, luckily after a bath and a month of rest, she's back at it as good as new
>Little me is scared of letting the cats outside again, but everyone else says it's "inevitable" so I roll with it, much to my stress

(cont.)
>>
>>2105960
(cont.)

>A couple of months go by, and the same thing happens again, though this time the cat didn't break any bones, but rather was suffering of dehydration (had been missing for a couple of days), of course she recovers and they keep going outside, but less frequently
>Brother and his little family move back with my dad, of course the cat goes with them
>All's nice and well, cats ok
>One day, while one of them was going off to work or whatnot, cat goes out the door and falls through the elevator hole yet again
>Broken legs, oil all over the place, I go to my dad's to visit him (and also because I wanted to see the cat)
>Cat's super active even with the legs broken, just crawls all over the place using its front paws to get close to people to get pet
>Don't know exactly why or how, but the cat ends up dying (or maybe was euthanized, but I doubt it)
>Dad heartbroken to this very day, he loved that cat so much
>Everyone else remembers the happening sadly, but not as sadly

Sometimes I look back and think of how I could've prevented the cat from getting thrown down an elevator twice, but I guess everyone else was also guilty

Also, my brother's then-gf was a brute maggot:
>Liked dislocating her cat's tail on purpose so it would run around awkwardly and laugh at it
>Liked forcing both cats to fight
Luckily this created disgust both from my mom and my brother, and he ended up dumping her. I guess some things kind of end well
>>
Work with animals on a daily basis, both at home and work.

I sell fish, and I think the worst thing so far I get on a regular basis are people who refuse to acknowledge that fish are not only not decorations, but cannot live in tiny boxes. It's a long, slow death, burning and suffocating.

I didn't experience it myself, but for birds, a woman came in with an arts and crafts bird cage from a hobby shop across the street, wanting to know how many finches she could put into it.

I experience crazy shit on a weekly basis. Regular crazy pet shop shit.
>>
File: IMG_20160401_214055.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_214055.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>2104088
She's beautiful. I have a calico girl, the light of my life, who looks similar.
I grew up having pets and them being taken away over and over.
Now I have 5 cats, and two fosters. All get vetted like they deserve to be. I call it compensation for all the years I didn't have cats.
>>
>>2104236
You are literally trash. Human babies are the worst. I would choose the cats and dogs over a human worm any day, in case it grows up to be like you.
>>
>>2104331
You're a good anon.
>>
>>2104429
this x1000
As someone with a freeroaming, indoor foster rabbit who is more affectionate than some of my cats, fuck all of you who use rabbits as lawn decorations or out them in cages that are below the minimum recommended requirements. Nasties.
>>
>>2106472
Why would they get taken away?
>>
>>2106479
My mother had a husband at the time who controlled our household. He did not like cats while my mother and I did. He once threw one off our porch. Very traumatic for me, not being able to stop him. Before him, my mom would find kittens, and only cared for them until they became inconvenient (eat too much, get sick, etc.). Never any fault of their own.
>>
>>2104234
It's not that it was fake, it's that when you have a kid, they're likely going to become more important to you than everything else. My son's more important to me than I am, that's why I can go so long without sleeping or eating, and can listen to the ABC song a million times in one day. It's hard to describe the feeling exactly.

That said, pet fur is not a big deal at all, and I still make time for my pets when the baby's asleep. The cats have adjusted to sleeping while the baby's awake, and seeking my attention when he's down for the night.
>>
>>2104331
You were a good kid anon.
>>
this took place over the span of two years ago. for context, my mom is basically a womanchild complete with dumb buying impulses

>a few months after the old family dog died (rip in peace pierre) my parents decide to get a new dog
>they go to a petland that also sells "designer dogs" which are basically mutts that you need to take out a mortgage for
>they decide to buy a shihpoo puppy (shitzu-poodle mix) for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS
>TWOOOOOOO THOUSAAAAAND DOLLARS
>and mom only ever used him as a photo op for facebook, never played with him, only walked him maybe four times total, and had either me or dad do everything from bathing him to cleaning up his waste

also

>shih tzhus and poodles are both mouthy breeds, both barking-wise and biting-wise, especially when babbies
>mom never bothered to try training him out of it besides yelling "stop" and "no" a bunch of times and hoping he goes away
>try telling her about ways of actually getting him to stop such as putting him on the floor whenever he acts like an asshole while on their bed, because he cant understand english
>"sure he does"

and to this day hes still bites my parents, but i got him to cut that shit out with me by flicking his ears every time hed do anything more than a gentle play-bite. a bit weird but it definitely worked.
>>
File: day2.jpg (1 MB, 2672x1503) Image search: [Google]
day2.jpg
1 MB, 2672x1503
>>2104072
I took in a ball-python as a rescue.

>young girl who works for me wanted a pet for her apartment with her new live-in bf
>she wanted a snake, I helped her pick out a BP
>2 months later she says the snake "escaped", and "hurt himself"
>turns out this was code for her abusive BF taking a knife and lighter to the snake
>he has about 8 inches of cut wounds all over his body
>I tell her to take him to the vet, says she will
>never does
>after about a month more her relationship falls apart, she has to leave her apartment
>the snake still isn't healed, she can't take care of him, and gives him to me
>the cage he was kept in had mold growing in it, and she said he was kept next to the fireplace, in winter (drafty or blazing hot).

Took this picture about a day after I got him home.
>>
File: IMG_20160422_232649.jpg (2 MB, 4537x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160422_232649.jpg
2 MB, 4537x3006
>>2106934
Here he is about a week ago, after I moved him from his isolation tub to a terrarium.

He's completely healed aside from the burn, it still doesn't have scales.
>>
>>2106934

What the fuck
>>
>>2106944
I'm so glad you have the snake now. I had to pick up my BP after I read this.
>>
>>2105065
Who do you think I am?
>>
>>2105170
We need more petstore employees like this.
>>
>>2105798
>A housecat will kill for the fun, maybe once every two days if he's a good hunter.
Yeah...that's not true. My mom's cat goes outside every day. Has a full bowl of food. Still brings dead animals on the porch every night.
>>
>>2104843
My neighbor is exactly the same.
When we were still on speaking terms, he was always over, trying to get me to let my cat out.
He had like 3 or 4 free-roam cats that shit in everyone's gardens so all my neighbors hate them.
One day, one of his cats came dragging itself home with no fucking back legs.
They had been cut clean off.
There's a big pasture 3 houses down from us, we think it got caught in the tractor's bushhog when it was mowing.
Coyotes tore up another one of his cats pretty bad, he had like a $2000 emergency vet bill.

But why won't I let my cats out?
>>
>>2104232
>the cats are not allowed to go outside

Good keep your shitty pest indoors
>>
>>2106934
>>2106944

It was very nice of you to help that poor animal, Anon.

However I'm guessing that snakey is probably scarred for life and won't be able to handle human interaction very much due to fear. I'm not very good with reptiles though so I have no idea how something like that would effect them.
>>
>Visit friend
>His parents are there
>They have two kittens
>They pour them a saucer of milk
>wtf are you doing, cats are lactose intolerant, it's bad for them
>But anon, they love milk!
>They also love drinking antifreeze but you wouldn't fucking feed them it
>>
>>2107058
There's even lactose free milk available. They're giving these poor cats diarrhea for no reason
>>
>>2107022
Well I suppose it depends of the cat. Mine didn't get something that often. Maybe they were just bad at it.

>>2107058

>They also love drinking antifreeze but you wouldn't fucking feed them it

Haha, this. We have that sort of argument everytime in the ferret world. "B-but they LOVE vegetables/sugar treats/etc!" That doesn't mean it's good for them. Like you wouldn't give fries to your kids every fucking day just because they love it.
>>
>>2105057
The funny thing is they were outdoor cats converted into house cats because they lived in an apartment, and now they live in half a house, so he has been converting them outdoors. They were fine the first week not going outside but after a while he has actually been forcing them outside. I live in suburban area, the speed limit is 25mph legally but everyone goes 30mph
>>
>>2104865
Right, because I'm the one that has all this time to be shitposting on an anime image board instead of taking care of my family.

I have twin girls and a boy, and guess what? I don't have a dog because I knew it would be too much on me right now. My last dog died right around when the twins were born from kidney disease, and it was hell just taking care of the boy and the aging dog, but I still did it because that was my responsibility. If the dog was younger and the pregnancy was unplanned, I may have had to re-home the dog with someone I trust, but I wouldn't neglect it and teach my kids it is ok to neglect animals.

Go back to your tumblr mommy blog and seriously consider offing yourself, you sound like you area terrible parent who can't into responsibility who will raise terrible monkey kids
>>
>>2106961
She thinks he got high on some serious drugs when he did this shit. I think he was just a sicko. After he did this to the snake he beat her and she miscarried.

>>2107057
He is a bit more timid than my other BP, I don't handle him too much cause he's had lots of stress in life already.

I'm going to try to work him into it slowly after he gets all his scales back.
>>
File: IMG_20160423_130132.jpg (2 MB, 4380x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_130132.jpg
2 MB, 4380x3006
>>2107236
Forgot pic.

This is one of his main wounds. Healed nicely!
>>
>>2105170
Did you guys fuck?
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.