[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some help. I got this tank off a friend about a week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1459752659246-759138433.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1459752659246-759138433.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
I need some help.

I got this tank off a friend about a week ago. It is my first tank.

I have a tetra pf 10 filter an aqua coulture bubbler and a heater that keeps my water between 72°F and 74°F. I used start right both times and let the set up run for roughly 5 hours prior befor adding my fish each time since start right apparently works quickly/instantly and i feed the fish tetra brand goldfish food 2x a day.

Bought my first 9 fish from walmart (8 gold fish 1 sucker fish) 1/2 died over night. Went to walmart had them replaced. Put them in tank too. All fish were dead next morning when i woke up.

Cleaned out my tank washed everything out (warm water) and rinsed my gravle fake plants ect. Refilled tank added start right and let it all run the rest of the day

Decided walmart fish are shit after employee tells me they "are not requiered to feed them"

Went to pet supplies plus and got 12 goldfish. Brought them home and sat the bag in the water to adjust temprature so i dont kill the fish by shoking them.

Let them play freely over night. Fine all day and now at 2 am one is fucking dead again.

What the hell am i doing wrong? Can anyone give me tips? Or tell me how to keep them alive
>>
>>2094409
dump them all and cycle the tank, it's ammonia killing them.
>>
>>2094484
Learn about nitrate cycle, add fish slowly, starting with the wussiest. Tap water kills your life-sustaining bacteria, with the chlorine.

Take a little bit of piss, just like a soda-cap full, and then add it to your water. You have at least a week to wait and research your new purchases. No ten gallon can make 9 fish happy. You can'tr have One goldfish in that tank. They have no stomach so they poop ammonia like crazy.

Goldfish are really pond fish. Get tetras or platies or guppies or something. Get live plants asap though, they take ammonia as food, ammonia otherwise kills fish.

Really this post just made me so sad. Goldfish hate warm water, they are really big poopers and can't possibly be happy with 9 others at once.

Not feedig fish in store is a common practice. It's also a good practice for your overstocked tank. You're gonna need to do a waterchange asap, but with dechlorinated water. (let it sit for 24 hrs or use chemicals for that)

You need to turn off your heater, for goldfish. and "suckerfish" get bigger than your tank's walls, and they DO need a heater.

Don't feed them anymore, starvation is better than ammonia poison for a fish. Never feed more than 3 times per week. The fish food companies are in on a conspiracy to make it hard as fuck for newbies to do this cheap.

Sad to say, but people like you are those companies bread&butter.

Ammonia is pooped by fish when they eat food.
That fish poop is either eaten by your filter or your plants. The filter has to be slimy on the inside and it takes it a couple MONTHS to be operating at your needed capacity.
Never wash it in tap water, carbon filter pads are worse than just fucking pillow stuffing for 10 bucks rolled in a ball. More area for slime to live.

If these ones die(sadly they're probably gonna)
Do not rinse gravel, just take out water and replace it with dechlorinated water.

Find a store with anachris or elodea if you can. It saves goldfish lives + they eat it.
>>
File: 1352536248032.png (205 KB, 626x491) Image search: [Google]
1352536248032.png
205 KB, 626x491
>>2094505
The piss thing is if you lose ALL the fish again. Otherwise the fish will do it fine.
>>
>>2094409
You cannot have goldfish in a small in-home tank. Goldfish grow to huge size and only go in HUGE tanks or ponds. You need something like neon tetras. You need to research what you do before you kill a shitload of animals.

Take the goldfish back and ask for something appropriate for your size of aquarium since you don't know what the fuck you're doing. They will take them back most of the time.
>>
>>2094537
>wal-mart

nevermind, don't ask them anything because they don't know. just buy neon tetras or guppies only. no, you cannot have a betta, you will kill it because you are too much of a newb. no offense.
>>
>>2094540
>wanting a beta
enjoy your one fish per 10 gallon tank
>>
>>2094887
literally the exact situation i am in now, i fucking hate this guy because i can't even put a nerite snail in there without him berserking on it. most aggressive betta i have ever seen.

seriously considering giving him away on craigslist, even though it's a death sentence. it'd just be so uch more interesting to have more fish
>>
>>2094887
>implying all bettas are serial killers
tbfh smfh
>>
File: image.jpg (209 KB, 554x603) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209 KB, 554x603
>let them play freely overnight
>>
>>2094899
betas are for aquescapers brother, just drop it one of those tiny little empty beta tanks at your local petmart or something.
>>
>>2094947
aquascaping is in progress. i think i have to completely restart the tank with that fancy plant substrate instead of sand because i can't win the war against diatoms
>>
>>2094949
Have you tried limestone sand? I've always just dealt with the regular play sand you get from the hardware store.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.