[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vacinating dogs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1367343081909.jpg (159 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1367343081909.jpg
159 KB, 1600x1200
alrighty /an/, Im probably going to catch a lot of flak over this, but is there any reason I should have the vet vacinate my dog over me doing it?

State law says I have to have the rabies shot administered by a vet, but nothing else. I was looking in the supply catalog from valleyvet and stumbled across the dog vaccines and they are significantly cheaper than the vet, as well as saving me an hour drive each way.

I've raised livestock all my life, so giving shots is something I'm fine with and experienced at. what does /an/ think about vaccinating your pets yourself?
>>
also, semi related.

I have always given my dog heartworm pills because we live right next to a swamp. The old timers around here laugh at me saying im wasting my money because its an outside dog and the heart worm pills wear off eventually and my dog will still get them.

Is there any truth to heartworm medicine (im giving her sentinel currently) being ineffective for outdoor dogs with heavy mosquito exposure?
>>
>>2094021
>The old timers around here laugh at me saying im wasting my money because its an outside dog and the heart worm pills wear off eventually and my dog will still get them.

...yeah they wear off in a month that's why it's a monthly pill.

Always remember that old timers are good at knowing how to do things, they aren't good at knowing things. They absolutely fucking suck ass at knowing things because they aren't from a data-driven age, they're from an age of wives' tales and misinformation etc.

>Is there any truth to heartworm medicine (im giving her sentinel currently) being ineffective for outdoor dogs with heavy mosquito exposure?

Of course there isn't. Your dog needs heartworm preventative if you are a responsible owner.
>>
>>2094017
Probably so the state is absolutely absolutely sure because rabies is terrifying.
>>
If you are good at getting the shots in the veins then I see no reason for you to not give your dog the rest of the vaccinations. The problem gets when people miss the veins and cause problems
>>
>>2094157
Are you fucking retarded? Vaccinations are given IM, not IV.

Dumb shits like you are the reason 99% of people should let the vets handle anything of this nature.
>>
>>2094197
>>2094157

Actually, most of the ones I was looking at are SQ.

>>2094046

Yeah, I plan on getting the rabies done by a vet, but seeing as I am paying $40 a shot for a $5 shot for the other things, it makes more sense to me to just do it myself.
>>
>>2094017

You are an idiot, people pay vets to give shots for a reason. If you can't afford to bring your dog to the vet you shouldn't own a dog.
>>
>>2094793
>you are an idiot
This is why /an/ is a shit board. Retarded fucks like you, and your misinformed opinions that you are all to ready to shove down somebody's throat.
>>
at least for rabies, you need some kind of proof to show the government that your dog is vaccinated. if the catalog supplies that along with the vaccination, there is no reason you can't administer it yourself.
>>
>>2094021
Heartworm is a scam. The chances of your dog getting it is extremely low
>>
>>2094910

My dog had heartworms when I was a kid, so I've been keeping up on hers.

>>2094795

State law requires a vet gives the rabies shot.
>>
>>2094918
>State law requires a vet gives the rabies shot
Which OP clearly stated a vet would be handling the rabies shot. I take issue with the rest of the post, a regurgitated take it to the vet meme.
>>
Jesus fuck this thread.

Please don't give your dogs vaccines IV or IM, you will fuck them up greatly.

OP, if you get your vaccines from a reputable source that can verify they store them correctly and ideally ships some of the bigger pharmaceutcal companie's vaccines (BOE, Novartis, Merck, Merial, etc) then you could theoretically adminster these vaccines correctly and be fine. Of course, you have to also be aware of proper vax protocols like vax regimens based on age and risk, and possible risks of vax reactions and how to react accordingly.

Do a few hours of research, google this shit. If you know what you are doing you will be fine.

And for the love of god keep your dog on heartworm prevt. Most states are at risk (look up a regional heartworm map to find which ones arent) and the good ones will also deworm and prevent your dog from picking up most intestional parasites. You could also go the ivermectin route, which is the main ingredient in most heartworm prevts and is sold in most feed and farm supplies, but if you dont know how to properly dose it out you run the risk of possibly blinding your dog (albeit most likely only temporarily) or worse.

Again, please have them on heartworm prevt. You help stop the spread of it around your community and $12-15 a month is much cheaper than the roughly $1500-4000 youd spend treating the infection and the permanent heart problems youd have to deal with afterwards.
>>
>>2094017
When I was in training to be an assistant, I sucked major balls at vaccinating animals myself. I wasn't doing it properly and the dogs and cats would need to be revaccinated. If you aren't familiar giving distemper shots, I would not advise it. Also doing it by yourself is Dante Must Die mode. Bordetella is easy enough though. Hard to fuck up there.
>>
Do your research, and you're fine. Please make sure you fully understand dosage and how to administer the drug.

The reason why you go to a vet is because they are experts at doing what they do. Most people should see a vet, but not everyone necessarily needs to...

And yep, keep your dog on heartworm meds!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.