[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /an/ I just got my first bearded dragon Any tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: beardie.jpg (159 KB, 1280x2048) Image search: [Google]
beardie.jpg
159 KB, 1280x2048
hello /an/

I just got my first bearded dragon

Any tips?
>>
>>2092378
Raise him as your son and impart to him the bitterness you feel towards the world so that he might sow the seeds of your unending vengeance when you die., and make the world suffer as you did.
>>
>>2092389

>The second Coming of Al-Assad

I like that anon.

How many hours in between should I feed him crickets?

Even though I fed him a handful just now
I feel as though he's going to starve to death
>>
>>2092378
If you got it from petco or petsmart, don't listen to what they say
I did
>He wont need live food after about a year
>You don't need a bulb, you can use a heat mat with paper towel substrate
>Feed the little guy only mealworms and a cricket or two every so often
Ways to get customers to return and keep spending money, lie to them about how to care for an animal so they need to keep going back and getting the proper items for it to not suffer
Fuck Petco. If I ever get another reptile it's at a Reptile Expo
>>
>>2092428

Appreciate the advice anon, thanks
>>
>>2092434
No problem, though I hope you know the greentext was BAD advice I got that you should ignore
>>
>>2092440

no worries, I didin't fall for the greentext
>>
>>2092440

ima need more crickets

should I buy in bulk?
>>
I remember one of these little guys being in my biology class a long time ago. He smelled like baaaad. Do all bearded dragons smell bad?
>>
>>2092467

They don't smell at all if you keep their tank clean.
>>
How many live crickets should I buy?
>>
>>2092445
yep, 50 a day is the average during the Summer months. Dust with calcium & multivitamins, flipping between one and the other each day.
>>
Get the appropriate UVB light so they can convert the calcium into building their bones.

Do not fuck this up.
>>
>>2092506

I've found The Worm Lady which sells 500 for 24$ and 1000 for 36$

Is there another website i should know of?
>>
Also for the lighting he has, he has 2 bulbs in one fixture, one is giving off heat (halogen) and the other giving off a paler more blue-ish light

That being said am I in the green?
>>
>>2092614

hmm... you should confirm whether or not one of those bulbs is in fact a UV bulb. UV is mandatory for beardies.
>>
once with youre set with your tank leave it for like 2 weeks. they have to get used to the new environment before they calm down. i'd also recommend putting something around your tank it really calms those bastards down
>>
wait is that actually your guy? if so disregard the background part. i'm retarded. also nice patterns
>>
>>2092649

Okay, one is infact a uv bulb, im scared if i turn it off at night hes going to freeze to death anon.

what do
>>
File: IMG_20160331_2315557.jpg (4 MB, 4896x3672) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_2315557.jpg
4 MB, 4896x3672
it's barely going higher than 80

Should I get a stronger heating lamp?

and do I turn off both lights at night? it gets like 18 celcius in my house
>>
File: IMG_20160331_2316188.jpg (4 MB, 4896x3672) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_2316188.jpg
4 MB, 4896x3672
>>
>>2092647

I also don't know if the UV light is strong enough, it's lighting his cage if that says something
>>
File: Snapchat-2580856314051765439.jpg (538 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2580856314051765439.jpg
538 KB, 1080x1920
>>2092657
buy one of those temperature controlers. you can get a good cheap one on amazon. i try to keep it around 85 at night cause my cool side drops down to 75. as long as it doesnt go below 70-75 youre good. i use a red lamp for nighttime and shell go in a hide to sleep
>>
oh boy here we go.

op ya dun goof'd. just from reading this thread i can tell your beardie is fucked.

your tank should be ~100F on the hot end and about 85 at the cool during the day and at night the cage should be ~72-80F

you need a UVB bulb and you have to replace it each 6 months or buy a meter to measure its output to make sure you switch the bulb when it gets too old

your tank probably needs to be insulated somehow. 18C at night will kill your dragon

my recommendation is that you should return the dragon as you obviously havent the slightest clue what youre doing. alternatively, learn to use google. if your idea of learning about beardie care is to go on /an/ then please return or give away your beardie ASAP

a proper beardie setup should cost on the order of 500$ if youre not building the tank from scratch

let me reiterate: you are doing it wrong and should probably not own a beardie. unless you fix your shit, you can expect a dead beardie and/or lots of vet bills in the near future. good luck!
>>
just posting a few things you should have if you decide to keep the poor guy:

zoomed reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb and fixture - with no plastic or glass between the bulb and the beardie
ceramic heat emitter(s)
spyder robotics herpstat or other legitimate thermostat - analog zoomed dial style ones are unreliable and in any case you should have other ways to test the temps in the cage, like an infrared thermometer or two independent analog thermometers
you also need furniture for him - a place to perch near the uvb and a few rocks and sticks to climb on, dull his nails, and retain temperature

you need to bathe him regularly, clean his tank regularly, make sure to offer appropriate veggies, and dust your live feeders properly and feed the right size feeders

again, do your research, learn to google, or give up the beardie. or enjoy having a sickly/dead beardie.
>>
>>2092779

>you need to bathe him regularly

Excuse you?
>>
>>2092428
Woah, seriously? At my Petco we literally refuse to sell a beardie unless they have everything and know all about them
>>
>>2092780
Lrn2google newfriend

http://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/bathe-bearded-dragon/
>>
>>2092797
>http://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/bathe-bearded-dragon/

>It is recommended to let your bearded dragon splash around in warm water at least once a month.

Once a month you stupid fuck is not "regularly".
Even then it's not essential.

Don't fuck with an Australian about our own animals.
>>
File: tilda_bearded_dragon.jpg (34 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
tilda_bearded_dragon.jpg
34 KB, 540x960
>>2092757
>18C at night will kill your dragon
wut?
>>
>>2092779

>zoomed reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb and fixture - with no plastic or glass between the bulb

This is what I have

>ceramic heat emitter

I'll buy one and keep it on at night for him

>spyder robotics herpstat or other legitimate thermostat

I have a mercury thermometer

also has good furniture

>>2092861

I'll buy a ceramic heater to solve this problem

Also oddly enough I left two crickets last night in his tank and he still hasn't eaten them. at first i gave him a handful and he went for them
>>
>>2092814
> at least once a month
> not regularly or essential

inb4 austard learns to read
>>
I also have to buy a stronger light bulb for the basking light
>>
>>2092861
18c is 64F. Anything below 72 at night is likely to compromise a dragon's health, especially if its 18c every night. instead of asking stupid shit like "wut" go google and learn something
>>
>>2092907
Do not leave crickets in his cage after he finishes eating, and especially not while he's asleep. Google to learn more about the dangers of failing to do so. Basically, they have a tendency to chew on dragons while the dragons sleep.

you need a thermostat not just a thermometer. and depending on how good of a thermostat you have you either need two extra thermometers or a digital infrared thermometer 'gun' to make sure your thermometers are correct. the thermostat will turn on the ceramic heater when the tank is under temp and turn it off when at the correct temp. leaving a ceramic heater on all night may make the tank too warm at night. You don't want it to go above about 103 at the hot end during the day or above about 82 at either end at night. I use the herpstat 2, which has 2 temperature sensors and can control two different outputs (i use for 2 separate heat emitters that are redundant, so the cage heats up faster when too cold and when one ceramic heater goes bad the other will hopefully function until i realize and replace the broken one.

for a basking light you should use a "natural/daylight spectrum" bulb, and your reptisun uvb bulb should be close enough to your basking light that your dragon cant get under the uvb without being exposed to at least some light from the basking light. this is because the uvb can actually blind a dragon of they are exposed to irs light alone without at least some white/normal light also hitting their eyes...

i strongly encourage you to do some more research if you intend to keep that beardie. one thing to make sure to do is to replace your reptisun 10.0 every 6 months unless you have a uvb measuring device (solarmeter 6.2 is the only one i know of that really works - its 220$ or so but will probably save you money in the long run, as most reptisuns actually last loner than 6 months and are expensive to replace). if you cant measure the uvb then you should still replace the reptisun bulb every six months.
>>
Highly recommend IR temperature gun. Those things are incredibly useful for reptile keeping. And also useful just in general around the house. Amazon often has then on sale for about $20.
>>
File: 20160314_165202.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160314_165202.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1152
>>
>>2092921

>Do not leave crickets in his cage after he finishes eating

got it, i'll get them out

>you need a thermostat

I'll go out and buy one today

> the thermostat will turn on the ceramic heater when the tank is under temp and turn it off when at the correct temp

got it

>for a basking light you should use a "natural/daylight spectrum" bulb

this is what Im using, both bulbs are actually under the same fixture but sometimes he climbs closer to get to the basking light.

Temp inside is hitting 100 and its accurate.

basking light is 100 watts and im thinking of getting 250 watts (whichever is better)

I am doing more research and I am 100% committed to him, I know that i'll have to replace the uvb every 6 months so I got that covered

>>2092922

should I really get one? Ive got a mercury one, whats the difference?

>>2092923
beautiful dragon, how long do you take it out of it's tank for?
>>
Put tile in there or gtfo
>>
File: 1442051282398.jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442051282398.jpg
394 KB, 1920x1080
Bearded Dragon: The reptile for people that want to be edgy but don't want to put too much work into it. Because Petco is easier than learning about fun reptiles that require more than aspen and a heat lamp.

Pic related. Suzy frowns at yet another bearded dragon doomed to neglect when the owner gets bored of them in 2 months. And you will.
>>
>>2093547
I don't know why you'd get a fucking Frilled Neck you idiot. They need massive vivariums, and a ton of space to run around in.
>>
>>2093547
look at this special little snowflake with his non-normie lizard. he sure showed us!
>>
>>2093547
>edgy
You're being "edgier" than any beardie owner I know
>>
>>2092928

>should I really get one? Ive got a mercury one, whats the difference

You point it at a surface you want to know the temperature of, click button, instantly know the temperature. Very useful.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.