[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's been your experience with calming aids? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 931x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 931x1500
What's been your experience with calming aids? I'm moving to another state in a couple months, and this will be my dog's first major road trip, so I'm not sure how he would react. Which ones, if any, would you recommend?
>>
>>2091599

The only calming aid I've ever heard of working is the thunder jacket.

I would reccomend getting your dog used to the car. Take him in the car while you run errands. Take him to a dog park like an hour or 2 away. He'll hopefully start to recognize car rides as fun, and not freak out.

My dogs used to by antsy in the car, but I started taking them to a dog beach about an hour away and now they hop right in and settle down when they get in.
>>
>>2091601
Will this work for a 14 hour drive over 2-3 days?
>>
>>2091754
I took my dog on a road trip. The total time in the car was somewhere around 24 hours due to us being stuck for four hours after there was an accident.

My dog ended up being really stressed out from the ride, and this manifested in gatrointestinal distress. He didn't want to eat his food, but he ate spiky grass at one stop and he ended up having diarrhea, which then became bloody diarrhea. The emergency vet we took him to was REALLY shitty and only served to stress him out more.

He never freaked out in the car, he just lay there quietly as we drove. He did bother us when he needed to go to the bathroom and when he was thirsty, but that was it. Poor guy.

All that said, ask your vet about Cerenia for potential carsickness. I had it on hand, but it didn't do anything to prevent that diarrhea.
>>
>>2091754

How much time do you have before the trip? Is it 14 hrs total or 14 hrs each day?
What kind of dogs are they? Do they go to new places regularly?

It should be fine. Like I said, get your dogs used to the car and take them nice places so they associate car rides with good times. Give them treats when they are being good in the car. when it comes time for the trip, take them out for potty breaks and 10-20 minute walks. even if you're at a gross truck stop, act excited like you're at a nice park or something and they'll just think they are having a great day out with you. Eat at places with patios so they can be out of the car and sniff as far as their leashes go.
>>
>>2091760

We're probably gonna do 8 hours the first day, and 6 the rest.

>>2091786

My dog's a 6 year old lab mix. He does fine in the car with no issues, but he hasn't been in the car for more than an hour. Every time he's in the car, we're usually going to the dog park or Petco, so I guess I'm off to a good start.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.