[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got my hands on a dog who's nails look like this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
I've got my hands on a dog who's nails look like this but worse. How do i go about cutting this if i don't have dog nail clippers? Is it dangerous to use human nail clippers? How dangerous?
>>
File: 14595136295761703658721.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
14595136295761703658721.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>2092831
look at the underside of the paw, you should be able to tell how far you can cut them. Just clip the nail, not the part with the nerve endings and blood vessels

also, how does a dog get nails like this?
Too much indoors/never outside?

Because I've never clipped my dogs nails and hers look like pic related
>>
Don't use human clippers, it could damage the claw you want to keep. Human clippers are flat because human nails are flat but dogs' are circular. Applying the flat clipper would put uneven pressure on and crush the claw strangely.
>>
Petsmart/Petco will do it for like 10 bucks. Or for 10 bucks you could buy a pair of clippers. Truth be told, most dogs take a lot of familiarization training to let you cut their nails. It's not as simple as it sounds. You have to exhaust all their energy beforehand, be careful of your finger placement on their pads because they're ticklish, give lots of treats, and all that will ONLY work if they are cool with it. If they're not cool with it, you have to show them that it will not hurt them through constant positive reinforcement of the experience.

Frankly, I'd let Petco/Petsmart do it. They just strap them down and cut the fuckers. In and out in 5 minutes, plus you don't look like the bad guy. Score some dog treats on the way out. A good day is had by all.
>>
>>2092852
Usually dogs need their nails clipped once in a while. Your dog's nails look a little long but not bad. If the dog doesn't do a lot of walking and running on concrete and the like, they can get long but it's usually due to nothing else but not clipping the nails. It's very unusual to have a dog whose nails don't need to be trimmed once in a while
>>
My dog had really overgrown nails when I adopted her. I took her to petsmart and they clipped them for like ten bucks. Dog pooped on the table she was so scared, poor thing.

It took weeks of training to get her to allow me to clip Tasha's nails and I'm still working on it further. It's worth it though. Kikopup from youtube has a good video on how she gets dogs used to it.
>>
>>2092831

Very dangerous to clip with human clippers. Get a pair of clippers, they are a neccesary tool unless you want to take her somewhere to get clipped. I go to my vet for $25 a dog because my dog freaks out.
>>
>>2092871
>>2092879
>>2092888

Man, nice to know my dog isn't the only on that hates getting his nails clipped. My wife does his, but he's a very unhappy boy. He lays on his back anxiously and puts his free paw on her forehead and squirms a lot. Luckily only the middle fronts get long. I walk him on concrete mostly and the backs tend to stay pretty short
>>
I would honestly take the dog to the vet or a professional groomer. Trying to trim a dog's nails when they aren't conditioned for it is really hard.
>>
File: 2016-04-01 16.47.22.jpg (119 KB, 808x906) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-01 16.47.22.jpg
119 KB, 808x906
>>2092878
I didn't know that, Thank you
I personally know only one person who clips her dogs nails

everyday, she runs a lot on grass, stony roads and through the forest anf so on.
I honesty thought that you usually never have to clip their nails.

do you think, I should clip my dogs nails?

pic are front nails
>>
File: 2016-04-01 16.46.40.jpg (120 KB, 856x1108) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-01 16.46.40.jpg
120 KB, 856x1108
>>2092908
and the ones on the hind legs

As I said, I've had her for 4 years now, never clipped her nails
>>
>>2092908
>>2092908
The backs don't need them so bad, but the fronts could be trimmed. Be very careful though because the nails are black, it's much harder to see the quick. If your dog never had it's nails trimmed it will probably hate it. May want to bring it to a vet or groomer if it becomes troublesome.
>>
>>2092903
This is true. The dog should go to the vet for the next few trimmings, because they'll do something called a "show cut" which will get the claw shaped right and push the quick back so it'll be easier in the future.
>>
>>2092946
This

Vet can anesthetize, clip, and then cauterize the quick immediately.

It's possible to get nails "show short" on your own but it takes a long time because you clip, wait a week for quick to recede, clip again. I'm trying to do it on my bitch.
>>
>>2092953
I'm trying to file my girls nails down because she's never gotten used to clippers, and now they are getting to the point you can hear them clicking on the ground-not good.

I managed to get two filed down to an ok level yesterday, going for two more today! Wish me luck guys!
>>
I walk my dog on the pavement 30 - 45 mins a day and only ever cut his dew claws.
>>
>>2093002

my dog freaks out with clippers, and I've tried everything. Honestly, I think its best to just restrain them nicely and do it all at once, rather than prolonging the experience. I wrap her in a towel with her eyes covered; it may seem weird but its a common practice in wildlife medicine.
>>
>>2093047
I had to refrain her when she was younger, but I wanted to build trust with her, not make her afraid of it. It's taken me six months just to get her to let me handle her paws again after the last time I just held her down and clipped them. I didn't want to go through that again for her or me, so now I'm trying something else.

She let me file her nail a little bit with my own nail file, so I went and got a dog grade one. Now I can file a little, throw her ball for her, file some more.
>>
Two questions (keep in mind I'm not a dog person):

1. How do you know where to clip the dog's nails since they're black?

2. Is it bad if a dog chews on its nails? My grandma's min pin used to.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.