[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wanted a dog since i was 12, now im 20, parents always said no,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: thumb-denominational-mutt.jpg (37 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
thumb-denominational-mutt.jpg
37 KB, 320x320
Wanted a dog since i was 12, now im 20, parents always said no, started to work recently, i want a dogger, best option would be to adopt one since a lot of people break this guys souls and abandon them, have some questions for the dog owners of this place:
>What should i prepare for the dogger? was planning on building a wooden doghouse
>what should i expect in the process of adopting it? dont really care about breed and i would like a mixed breed or mutt
>What would be the best choice? dont have a lot of space at home but i would walk him maybe 1-2 hours a day divided in 3 times (before work-after work-after school) this would be at 07:00 Am 15:00 Pm and 23:00 Pm aprox, would like him short haired or medium since i would only have sundays to take care of his hair, and would like him medium sized maybe like a german shepperd or smaller.

Pd. I had other dogs when smaller (2 pitbulls since they gave them to me, but parents gave them to my cousins cause "they were dangerous", one of them was the best dog i ever met.
>>
As long as you can do everything you said that should be great. I assume since you said you are going to build a doghouse, he has access to a fenced yard all the time? Other than that, you seem concerned enough to make a good dog owner, just remember that they can be extremely expensive though. Food, vet bills, medicine, and any emergency care that could be needed can be expensive. I would build up a large reserve dedicated to the dog in case of emergency vet bills, unless your willing to use your savings account for that (if you have one).. I see to many people on here who don't want to take their dog to the vet for potentially life threatening conditions because they can't find $500 to help their pet.
That said, your going with a mutt which tend to be much healthier, so your avoiding some of that risk. If you have the means to support a pupper, totally do it. I guarantee you won't regret it
>>
Get an outdoor cat instead.
>>
>>2087016
thanks sorry for taking me so long to answer but was doing some stuff around the house, dog would be on a terrace which would be pretty small for a dog imho (like 200x800 centimeters) but i would walk him a lot and would go running on the nights since its my only real free time, then maybe with time and trust bring his bed close to mine and watch some shit on netflix then going to sleep, im very concerned with the dogs mental and physical health, i didnt adopted before because i saw it was unreasonable and i wouldnt be able to handle him correctly, but now i think i can give him the love he needs and maybe if he is young enough to have some mixed puppies with another mixed or mutt female, always had something inside that made me love the look of those dogs, maybe its they natural looks and that they are not destroyed by human sense of aesthetichs
>>2087052
already had cats in my family, not a cat person, loved the one we had but its not my thing, they are too cold and introverted it bores me to have one, they just come at you when u have food
>>
>>2087003

You sound too busy to really care for a dog. So the dog is just going to be on its own from 7am to 3pm, and then again from 4ish to 11, and you only have sundays off?

Also, its really not a good idea until you are done with school and settled in life. Having to give up your dog because you have to go away for school, or move out on your own, or move to a new apartment are all very common and very shitty ways dogs end up in shelters.
>>
I have to agree with the other anon, it might be best to wait a little while before getting a dog, when your life is a bit more settled
>>
>>2087064
>>2087061
i understand what u are saying and it makes a lot of sense, but i live with my 2 brothers and my mother, also my dad lives close like 10 minutes walking and he had a lot of dogs as a kid, he will be around people all day so loneliness doesnt worry me, is about giving him what he needs.
anyways i will think about it cause u guys seem more experienced and i dont want to ruin a dogs life
>>
>>2087068
As long as you don't trust your old mans training advice. Old people are always awful with dogs since they're usually using ineffective and borderline abusive methods that were used in the stone ages of dog ownership ("rub their nose in it" / similar) You'll definitely ruin it if you try something like that regularly.
I think the other anons are a little overconcerned. Older shelter dogs are fine with three daily walks, even if they were alone most of the day. Just avoid getting younger dogs because they'll have a lot more energy. Older dogs are killed more often in shelters and are generally way more chill. Whatever you're going to give an elderly dog from a kill shelter is probably preferable to euthanization. It doesn't have to be elderly, but it would definitely benefit you to get a dog older than 4.
Also, it sounds like you want to keep it outside. If you're going to keep an animal outside it should be a farm animal, not a dog. There's really no point in getting an animal you're just going to throw outside indefinitely.
Also, don't get a dog if you want to "have puppies", especially useless mutt puppies. You're nowhere near experienced enough to breed. Millions of mutts are killed in shelters yearly and you want to make more just for fun? You should also not support anyone intentionally breeding mutts.
>>
>>2087058
>maybe if he is young enough to have some mixed puppies with another mixed or mutt female,
Don't breed shitty puppies if you're not a reptutable breeder. Just get him neutered and adopt instead.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.