[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Owning a Pig?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: fully-grown-micro-pig-piglet.jpg (501 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
fully-grown-micro-pig-piglet.jpg
501 KB, 1620x1080
I'm alone in a flat. I live on the 9th floor, so i'm afraid of getting a cat in case of it jumping out a window after a fly (happened to my neighbour) and I just don't get along with Dogs. I want a house pet that is reletively easy to train and isn't all that large. I'm thinking of getting a Micro-Pig because:

A) They're fucking adorable
B) Supposed to be smarter than dogs
C) I hope, grow to be about the size of a Jack Russell.

If anyone owns a pig, can they tell me if B and C are true? And any advice to a budding Pig-owner?
>>
Micropigs will not stay that small. Not unless you plan on starving it so it doesn't have the nutrients to grow
>>
>>2085356
How big do they usually grow to be, then? I found a few sources that said Jack Russell sized, around 3 foot tall, 4 foot long-ish.
>>
>>2085360
Pigs really aren't great pets, anon. I know some people with them. Yes they are cute and fun to rub their bellies but they don't really give a fuck about you, they're independent, destructive and intelligent, don't like to be picked up or messed with, don't really 'play'. It's a one sided relationship and its tiring to do so much for them and have them give you nothing back.

Plus 'micro-pigs' is a joke. You'd be lucky to find one that will grow to the size of the black one in that pig.
>>
Get rats or guinea pigs or something. Pigs aren't great pets.
>>
>>2085360
>Jack Russell sized
>3 foot tall, 4 foot long-ish.
Nigga you have never seen a Jack Russell in your life.

That is huge in an animal as solid as a pig, more than big enough to absolutely demolish your apartment.
>>
You'll regret it.
>>
I heard micro pigs aren't even real, in reality they are just runt/starved pigs of a litter.

I hope you get one OP and it grows to be a normal fucking pig and then you surrender it to a farm where it can live a somewhat nice life.

Don't get an animal ya cunt.
>>
yep no such thing as micro pigs. Pigs can start breeding at a really young age so one of the scams is to breed em really young and claim they are full grown when you come look at the piggies. Then 4 years later your micro pig weighs 150lbs.
>>
>>2085522
>Then 4 years later your micro pig weighs 150lbs.
and you have pork for the next two years that seems like a fair tradeoff
>>
Nope. Nope nope nope, anon. A relative of mine did the same fucking mistake but at least she made hers whilst being a home owner and living in the countryside. She started out insisting that her pig won't get big and she can keep it as a house pet and without getting another pig for it for company and now, fortunately for the pig, she has caved in to the point where the pig has its own shelter with a large fenced off area and other pig friends to do pig things with.

The pig's still a nervous and bitey fucking nightmare of a sow especially when it gets hormonal but at least it went from a complete disaster of a house pet to a somewhat manageable barnyard animal. You don't keep a strong, easily frightened, and intelligent prey animal that lives in herds and spends most of its time uprooting things in an apartment.
>>
>>2085354
>C) I hope, grow to be about the size of a Jack Russell.

Yeah, no.

The place I work is full of pigs that the previous owners would 'hope' only grow to a certain size.

Hope doesn't control the size of animals, anon

Micro pigs are often a cross of a few smaller breeds, such as the pot bellied or kune kune. They won't grow as big as a Gloucester old spot, but they will be bigger than you seem to hope.

It will wreck your flat when it becomes to large to handle and you don't provide enough enrichment to keep its day occupied. They're also social animals so you would need to get another of its kind. They will dig things up with their snout incessantly, an important natural behaviour that you should try and provide provisions for pigs to do.

I'd say they are smarter than dogs. They certainly seem to get bored of repetitive games a whole lot faster than dogs, and can be crafty.

I'd suggest guinea pigs, rats or rabbits.
>>
>>2085354
Even if the pig did stay small and >100 pounds, (Which it probably won't), it would still wreck your apartment. Pigs instinctually "root" for food, meaning they use their noses to knock things over. This can't be trained out of them.

Also, "micro pigs" that you see that are actually small as adults, are often the result of animal abuse, as they are starved at a young age in an attempt to stunt their growth.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 208x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 208x248
Maybe just get a cat and a screen for your window?
>>
>>2085354
The people saying that micro pigs don't exist are correct. It is a scam. The so-called "micro pigs" are starved, young runts. People buy them and start feeding them and they grow to 100+ pounds. Don't fall for it.
>>
-Pigs are VERY stubborn, and never forget anything. You have to be very firm with them, never, NEVER give up, or let something pass : if you let him go on the couch ONE day, he will go on the couch every.day.of.his.life. If you don't scold him everytime he does something bad, he will never respect you the same way again. You'll have to have an iron mind.

-The smallest bred that exist will be around 60kg once adults. This is the SMALLEST. No Jack Russel size, don't dream Anon. 60kg at least.

That's just the top of the iceberg. It's possible to have one, and to live a wonderful life with him. But, like I said earlier, they are multiple challenges along the way. Be cautious, think about it. Maybe meet people that have one at home.
>>
>>2085354
Micropigs are usually just pot bellied Pigs, which usually weight 150 lbs. They can breed awfully young, so the moms will often look tiny while nursing. But they still grow to a considerable size if you aren't starving them. Sometimes people will sell the farm Pigs to turn a giant profit, which often grow around 800 lbs. Either way micropig is a scam that scumbags use and it only ends badly for the pig
>>
>>2085354
>Micro-Pig

there is no such thing as a micro pig. you cannot buy any variety of pig that will stay under like 200lb except for an extremely, extremely rare variety of pygmy pig that is bred by one breeder, has like a 7 year waiting list, and cost like $30,000.
>>
get a rat

pigs are farm animals
>>
>>2085360
>I found a few sources that said Jack Russell sized

The entire "micro-pig" industry is a scam, there is no pig species, subspecies, breed or variety that stays small in size. They say the same thing because they are corroborating each others' lies to sucker people like you in. Get a cat.

>afraid of getting a cat in case of it jumping out a window after a fly (happened to my neighbour)

I'm curious how hard it is to keep your windows closed? Doesn't seem like a tremendous feat to me
>>
>>2085354
this
>>2085362
Friend owned one. It tore up everything and got surprisingly big very quickly
>>
>>2085354
The size of the animal itself barely matters: a pig, no matter how small, can't live in a flat, at least not if you want it to be happy.

They make great pets if you live in a rural area and have a fairly big garden for it to chill in. While they can be indoors for short periods of time, they need to spend a lot of times outdoors, or they will grow really frustrated. Just talking it on "walks" won't do: they're not dogs.

If you keep any pig in a flat, you're giving it a shitty life.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.