[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /an/. My dad's dead set on getting a male dalmatian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Female_dalmatian_head_shot.jpg (1 MB, 1840x1337) Image search: [Google]
Female_dalmatian_head_shot.jpg
1 MB, 1840x1337
Hey, /an/. My dad's dead set on getting a male dalmatian puppy at the end of the summer - it'll be the family's first pet. Both my parents are in their fifties, I'm 20, but will be 21 by the time we probably get him, and my brother's 17. Part of me is a little apprehensive that we won't be able to train him correctly or mess something up. Have you got any advice for first time dog owners, in regards to diet, neutering, discipline, etc...
>>
>>2080087
Get him fixed. No question about it. Some breeders will make you agree you will fix the animal.

On that, make sure you research breeders as well. Don't be afraid to drive or travel to get a pooch from a high quality breeder. This is especially important to dalmatians, which do have some health issues.

Feed him as good of a food as you can afford. We all have our budgets, yeah, but do some research and figure out the best brand at your price point. Think of food as being proactive. The better diet you feed him, the less of a chance he'll get sick.

If you are worried about "messing something up" regarding training or discipline, then consider hiring a professional trainer. They'll make home visits and teach you and your family how to doge.

Also, one last word of the wise: dalmatians are SUPER high energy dogs. He'll require lots of walks and exercise and time. Just make sure you and your family understand dalmatians are a TON of work.
>>
Any reason he wants a Dalmatian in particular? Never had one, but I hear that they can be aggressive.

Try and steer him towards a good beginner breed, like a lab or a golden retriever. They're easier to train, but make sure you stay on top of it because most of them can end up in shelters as a hyperactive mess.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-29-05-37-55.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-29-05-37-55.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
This guy pretty much nailed it>>2080101
If you are interested in a male I highly suggest a ULA dog, as all dalmatians have kidney stone issues, but it is more apparent in males. A low protein diet is also recommended for this as well.
The breeder should also provide you with paperwork from a BAER hearing test. This is important because like many white purebred dogs dalmatians are known to have hearing issues.
They are a high energy dog especially when they are puppies. If they are trained and socialized they become well adjusted as they get older.
I suggest you check with Dalmatian club of America and any local clubs in your area to start the process of selecting a reputable breeder. Good luck.
>>
>>2080087
Please please please do a ton of research on the breed past Dogs 101 on animal planet. These dogs can be an absolute fucking mess if bred improperly so you want to research what makes a reputable breeder reputable, and make sure you get a dog from a good breeder even if you have to travel hours for it.

These dogs were bred to be crazy. Literally. Firehouses would use them to distract the horses during fires so the horses wouldn't be spooked. Horses are generally attracted to the spots (many thoroughbreds have spotted pony mates) and were kept distracted by the dogs running around, chasing each other, nipping each, etc. So they were specifically bred to be crazy and neurotic
>>
Appreciate all the advice, guys. Not too sure if all of the America stuff is applicable though - I'm in the UK, Northern Ireland specifically.
>>
>>2080120
Pretty much the same advice, just check the kennel club website for dalmation breeders instead. Check the irish kennel club too.

Though I wouldn't advise a puppy dalmation as a first time dog, I presume you're trying to convince them to get something else? keep trying, something smaller would be better.
>>
>>2080121
I'm not trying to convince him otherwise, really - something tells me I wouldn't be able to if I tried. I'm sure he, I and the rest of the family are willing to put in the work in training the puppy, but I've always been a little paranoid/pessimistic, so I am somewhat concerned that we may do something wrong.
Does anyone mind sharing their first experiences with training their dogs/pups?
>>
>>2080121

Make sure he goes to a kennel club assured breeder. You want both dam/sire (plus as far back as possible) hip scored, elbow scored, BAER tested and Hyperuricosuria. Expect a long waiting list.

Also, go read the RSPCA's good puppy guide, and finally Ian Dunbar's before/after you get your puppy should be your bible- it's a free PDF.
>>
File: 20150320_170920.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150320_170920.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>2080117
> These dogs were bred to be crazy. Literally. Firehouses would use them to distract the horses during fires so the horses wouldn't be spooked.
They were a coaching dog years before horse drawn fire equipment. This is why they are associated with fire stations.
> So they were specifically bred to be crazy and neurotic
This is also incorrect. Again they have always been a coaching dog. This is because of the breeds stamina and endurance, protective nature, and naturally good with horses. A quick Google search will confirm this.
I don't want to derail the thread with an argument, but this is why you should do your research OP, there is some misinformation about these dogs out there.
>>
>>2080172

Just re-read your post, be prepared that you won't be able to get a puppy this summer from a reputable breeder, they'll have waiting lists. However, please do not give money to back yard breeders who don't health test: make sure you find a solid breeder, dam and sire need genetic testing not just a "vet check".

If he's that desperate for a dally puppy and doesn't want to wait, then look into dalmatian specific rescues. Just, whatever you do, do NOT buy a puppy from a breeder unless they're reputable.
>>
>>2080104
Labs and Goldens are not beginner dogs. Just because people get them as such does not mean that they are. They are high energy, especially labs, and people are unable to train them because of their inexperience. That's why shelters commonly have neurotic 2-3 year old labs and goldens because people are in over their heads and abandon them
>>
>>2080087

Go to an obedience school. Not only will your dog learn some stuff, more importantly you'll learn how to work with your dog long term. Do research and go to someone who does positive reinforcement training. Read Yelp reviews; some trainers are nut jobs and some are great.
>>
People keep buying expensive pure races while bastards are more original, cheaper, have less health problems and, for me, are more beautiful than generic dogs.

I also hear dalmatians are quite aggressive, which is not really what people are looking for in a family dog.

Just browse craigslist or a similar site for puppy dogs. My dog is a husky X labrador, she's fuckin awesome, intelligent, beautiful and only cost 50$.
>>
>>2080195

Husky X lab: enjoy your HD and ED, stop spouting the entire "cross breeds are healthier" bullshit, you haven't got a clue what their genetic make up is, it could have the worst genes from Mum/Dad and be a genetic nightmare in terms of diseases.

If you're going to get a mutt, get one from a shelter, don't put money into peoples hands who have randomly bred their bitch on craigs list.
>>
>>2080196
I have never had problems in the past 30 years that me and me dad have had dogs, and they were all bastards. Only 1 was bought at a shelter. From all the beagles and rottweilers that I have known, I'm pretty sure the "bastards are healthier" thing is not complete bs.

Maybe we were just very lucky over the years, but from all the beagles with ankle problems that I've seen, I'd stick with bastards.
>>
>>2080206

30 years is not representative of the dog population at large.
>>
>>2080179
They absolutely are beginner dogs
>>
>>2080206

Anyway, further to my post: what you are doing by putting money into cross-breeder BYB hands on craigslist is encouraging this type of breeding. If we want the dog population at large to get better than we need to encourage responsible breeding, we need to encourage breeders to health test their dam + sire, pick the lineage carefully and to fully know their breed/breeds before they breed.

If the puppy buyers started demanding health testing, then back yard breeders would die out overnight. However, currently idiots like you come along, put £200 in their backpockets and they think hah... This breeding mil'arky makes money, doesn't it? So goes and breeds their unhealthtested bitch again, and so carries on the vicious cycle.

If you are not fussy/do not want to do something particular r.e breed then go to a rescue, do not put money in BYB's hands.
>>
>>2080195
>buying a dog from Craigslist
>the person has no obligation to be truthful about the dog's behavior
>no obligation to disclose any medical
issues
>no obligation to take the dog back if things go wrong

Craigslist is the fucking worst place to get a dog
>>
>>2080209
Just because the general public is retarded enough to get them as starter dogs doesn't mean they should
>>
>>2080179

What shelter do you work at?

Labs and Goldens almost never appear at shelters, they are a rich white person dog. Their temperaments are absolutely perfect for beginners and families...
>>
>>2080313
Okay, so what is a GOOD started dog?
>>
>>2080173
>implying any of what was said was incorrect
>implying you didn't just go full autism because you have bad reading comprehension
>>
>>2080360
My starter dog was a German Shepherd. While I would absolutely not recommend them as beginner pets, I learned an enormous amount from him. You learn from challenges.
>>
>>2080352
I worked at a Petsmart that would have the dogs over for adoption every weekend. There were more labs than pits and they were always neurotic and had to be left in wired cages while the other dogs, even the pits, could play around in pins

>>2080360
Mostly I would recommend breeds that are low to medium energy and easy to train. I always tell people to do their research first. If you already have trouble getting off your couch and getting outside, getting a high energy dog is usually a bad idea because after a while, you'll be back on that couch and your dog will be eating it from boredom.
>>
>>2080313
What would you recommend as a starter dog?
>>
>>2080360
An adult dog, not a puppy, with an easygoing temperament. Preferably a rehome from a reputable breeder, or a rescue.
>>
>>2080367

Oh man, I thought about getting a semi high- energy dog as my first dog so that I'd get in shape. I adopted a middle-aged lab who sleeps for the better part of the day, and I couldn't be happier.

Wonder how often it happens that people adopt a dog to "get in shape".
>>
>>2080375
Depends on your lifestyle and dog preferences. There is no perfect breed that fits every person and situation

>>2080383
In my experience, very often. Heard it about once a week at my job. Most of the time the dog became overweight and depressed or the people gave away the dog
>>
>>2080352
>Labs and Golden's almost never appear at shelters

Not that anon but that is pure bullshit. I'd say labs come in 3rd and Golden's in 4th. It is not representative of handling, but in popularity. That being said, people DO get those dogs and are overwhelmed. Not so much because they are hard, but people think these dogs won't need training and won't need to be walked etc.
>>
>>2080383
Allllll the fucking time, if the people weren't already out a lot, I have yet to see it end well. Fucking 300lbs whales coming in to adopt a high energy dog and end up leaving it in the yard while they continue to sit on their ass.
>>
>>2080362
>resorts to insults instead of backing up claims.
You specifically said they were bred to be crazy and neurotic. Prove it.
You are talking out your ass and I called you on it, sorry you can't accept it.
>>
Dalmations are stubborn bastards and can be aggressive, they should probably start off with a more easily trainable dog or a mutt from a rescue that has already been trained since it will be their first dog.
>>
>>2080633
Your reading comp is still bad. You're making assumptions and putting words in. You're being very silly
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-13-10-52-34.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-13-10-52-34.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2080694
This is the post I'm reading.>>2080117
>
These dogs were bred to be crazy. Literally. Firehouses would use them to distract the horses during fires so the horses wouldn't be spooked. Horses are generally attracted to the spots (many thoroughbreds have spotted pony mates) and were kept distracted by the dogs running around, chasing each other, nipping each, etc. So they were specifically bred to be crazy and neurotic
I am saying this is incorrect.
My reading comprehension is fine.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.