[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking hell /an/... So I thought I would be leaving my house
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Fucking hell /an/... So I thought I would be leaving my house for a long time so I left my fish tank with my sister. Come back after 3 months and it is covered in algae (expected) and all my fish but my betta and 2 2" bristled nose plecos. Are dead, take water sample to LFS and everything is good but my water is so acidic he said it's basically vinegar. Take out all the water (transportation) and bring it home, so a good 95% water change. Put in new water and a whole bottle of prostart bacteria. Put all the fish and plants back in. 3 days latter and both my plecos die at the same time. take new water sample back to LFS and same problem. What the fuck is happening? I got some chems for it but I would really like to not use them. I think it might be the wood getting old. It's about 6-7 months in the tank. Please please please help me /an/... You are my only hope.
>>
Go buy a ph buffer. I know theres a popular dechlorinator on the market (cant think of name), that dechlorinates and buffers your PH to 7.5, which is a good range for most thing you'll keep. Just use that during all your water changes and you should be good. If it's your wood causing it, it's because it's constantly leeching acids into the water, so for that you'll be best off buying a test kit so you can test it often, you can get a digital one of like 20 bucks online that you can just stick in every time you feed, and if it gets low again, you can just add some buffer to the tank to correct it.
>>
>>2072716
You should take a sample of your tap water in, and have them test that. It sounds like your water source isn't stellar for keeping fish. You probably have low pH and low KH, the latter of which will make your pH unstable and prone to drops. Your betta and plecos were probably hardy enough to take it where as fish with narrower pH ranges couldn't take it.
>>
>>>/aquariumgeneral/
>>
How about putting something in your tank that will naturally offset the acidifying wood? Maybe something like crushed oyster shell?
>>
>>2072716
If you honestly think it's the wood then why haven't you removed it yet? Also, get something that will reduce the acidity of your water, I think peat moss works. Get a shit ton of whatever you can that works, put it in a clean coffee filter, along with a rock or whatever to weigh it down, staple it closed, then drop it in your tank.

No need for chemicals and stuff like that, unless you have lots of prior experience with them so you know how to counteract the negative side effects using chemicals causes.

With the coffee filter teabag technique all you have to do is yank it out then do frequent water changes if you don't like what it's doing to your water/fish.
>>
>>2072827
Thank you. I had no idea that would help it. Going to do some digging and find out if anyone has some.

>>2072855
Because I don't know if it is, just a speculation. And thank you for the coffe tea-bag, might use that one to.

On another note. What should I stock my tank with guys. 40 gallon fluval filter, 20 gallon long. Heavy planted.
>>
>>2072799
There is not one. All there is a dirted tank thread.
>>
>>2072935
Just because it's called dirted tank edition doesn't mean all of us are going to ignore someone asking questions.
> being this stupid
>>
>>2072949
>>2072799
Also my question isn't supposed to be a huge thread. It was ment to get some quick answers by people who know more than I do and then get to the 10th page and die.
>>
>>2073161
Sorry friend, normally that works in other boards, but /an/ is the slowest board on 4chan. Our fastest threads usually last around a month before they die off.

>>2072908
Bettas are kind of hard to find tank mates for. But once your water is fully stabilized you could try some shrimp, smallish bottom dwelling fish like khuli loaches, or some cool snails like bumblebee snails.
>>
>>2072855
Peat moss will increase the acidity of water, not reduce it.

>>2072716
Doing a 95% water change with tap water of an unknown quality was not a good idea anon.
>>
>>2073432
Hilburt is the chilliest betta I have ever known. He doesn't even bother cherry shrimp.
>>2073464
It was my original tank water. It was never acidic before... Could I have some sort of algae that pisses acidity or something like that?
>>
>>2072738
This.
What's your tap water pH?
>>
>>2073432
There's slower boards and the aquarium general threads only last a few days
>>
>>2073506
7.5 maybe 7.8
>>
When this happened to me it was mulm/fish shit that was way deep in the substrate rotting that caused the water to be so acidic. No ammonia or anything though. It was a shrimp tank. I had a planted tank so I never cleaned the gravel. One day I tried to really suck as much of that shit up as I could and I added some coral skeletons and it fixed the issue.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.