[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pets for small tank?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 0004679829133_500X500.jpg (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0004679829133_500X500.jpg
93 KB, 500x500
My roommate has a 1.5 gallon aquarium and I'm trying to help her find something that can go in it. I have suggested a live plant and maybe two snails? What else can live in such a small space? Freshwater preferred.
>>
Probably ok for a betta if it has a heater.
Or a couple guppies.
>>
>>2068121
Shrimp would be nice. Especially if there's a live plant in it.
>>
>>2068121
Animals:
>shrimp (all different colors red/blue/green/yellow/white/transparent/polka dotted/stripes etc. etc. etc)
>snails (check out bumblebee snails)
>african dwarf frogs
>crayfish (only get one, and make sure it's a species that doesn't grow too large for the tank)
>white cloud mountain minnows
>golden white cloud mountain minnows

Plants:
>lucky bamboo (the stem and roots stay in the water, but the leaves MUST be in open air)
>anubias
>java fern
>java moss
>marimo moss balls
>elephants ear (same as lucky bamboo)

Hope this points you in the right direction, I strongly recommend you google how to properly cycle a tank before you do anything though, otherwise whatever you put in there will die due to ammonia poisoning before the beneficial bacteria can establish itself.
>>
>>2068121
a betta *could* live in it but it's definitely not ideal.
>>
can someone redpill me on keeping a betta in a heated 3 gal tank?

it's cruel to buy them in those tiny pet store cups? where do you buy them?
>>
>>2068127
>>2068131
She had a betta before and it died. So we're looking for something loooooow maintenance.
>>2068130
A crawfish sounds so cute! They're kind of large so I worried about whether or not it would be happy. Shrimp sound good too. Thanks for all the suggestions!
>>
>>2068137
Do lots of research via google on whatever you do choose to buy, and it will all go splendidly.

Best of luck OP!
>>
>>2068136
They can technically be kept in smaller, but 2.5 gallons is really the smallest a tank can be to be safely heated. Betta are tropical fish and their water should be about 80 degrees.

In my opinion, buying them from those isn't cruel. I kinda see it as rescuing them.

>>2068130
>>2068137
Please don't keep minnows in a 1.5 gallon tank.
Dwarf frogs need a heater, so they're 2.5gal and up as well.
I just googled the crayfish and apparently they need 10 gallons for even one. You could probably keep some shrimp or a snail, but that's about it.
>>
File: dwarf.jpg (155 KB, 400x273) Image search: [Google]
dwarf.jpg
155 KB, 400x273
>>2068144
>>2068137
Mexican dwarf crayfish and cajun dwarf crayfish are great for small tanks. You'll probably have to get them online but they're great.
>>
>>2068121
Triops or fairy shrimp are pretty nice for small tanks. You order the eggs, put them in the tank where they hatch within a few days and then rapidly grow. They also only live a few months.
>>
>I kinda see it as rescuing them.
You aren't rescuing shit when you reward the store for this practice while a new betta takes its place a few days later
>>
>>2068206
You know this is done as it's the least painful way to keep multiple betta in small space with high turnover, right? If you stick them in a partitioned tank it will freak the males out and the frequent turnover will make the females get sick and die. Their fins are delicate and netting could injure them. The cups aren't a forever home and often the cups say so printed right on the cup.

Keeping them in small cups with a high turnover is kinder than treating them like normal fish because they don't have the same needs as most fish.
>>
>>2068214
Tell that to all the bettas swimming in shit brown water and slowly dying of ammonia poisoning.
>>
>>2068206
>>2068214
>>2068237

that pet store i go to doesn't sell pets except bettas and a couple shelter cats or guinea pigs

they keep them tiny tanks around a litre or so but they're filtered and seem to be taken care of

i'm still torn though
>>
Get a goldfish and a suckermouth catfish to eat the algae/poop.
>>
>>2068379

BAIT
A
I
T
>>
>>2068379
And don't forget the piranhas to introduce natural selection.
>>
File: 02b.gif (208 KB, 323x221) Image search: [Google]
02b.gif
208 KB, 323x221
>>2068379
>>
>>2068127
Bettas need at least 3 gallons, with 5 being way, way better. Their betta died for a reason. Don't encourage the generic "it's a fish, shove it in a tiny bowl" bullshit.
>>
>>2068651
betas dont NEED 3 gallons. they may WANT it, but they dont NEED it.
>>
>>2068206
You think they're going to stop selling them because two people from /an/ listen and don't buy a pet store betta? This is along the same line as "going vegan saves animals"
>>
>>2068189
Seems like you can get them easily live on eBay and such, and for little cost. I'm not sure how big a 1.5 gal is, but though it does sound a bit small for pretty much anything not a plant, it might work. I'd still suggest getting a bigger tank if you want crawfish. They're pretty cool though, and super easy to keep. If you want something dumb and easy to stick on your desk, go for one of these guys.
>>
Not OP but similar question.
I had a 1 gallon heated and filtered tank for 1 ghost shrimp and a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank for my betta. (Both live plants and air stones and all that great stuff).

The ghost shrimp has passed however after about a year and my girlfriend out of sympathy and lack of knowledge ordered 12 juvenile cherry shrimp. I now have no idea what to do because I don't think my 1 gallon could support all 12, but don't want the betta to have a shrimp eating field day. No funds to get a second 5 gallon currently.

Advice?
>>
>>2068654
They might as well need it because you can't keep the water quality in a tank below 3 gallons stable.
>>
>>2068657
this is such a defeatist mentality

believe it or not, it is just creating more demand. the store doesn't give a shit if you think you're saving them when you buy them, all they see is another sale. if anything it makes them care even less about the quality of the life of the fish, because people will buy them regardless

this mentality is also why pet overpopulation is such an issue. "hurr my dog is just having one litter, it doesn't matter". it adds up, really fucking fast. but that's just one example.
>>
>>2069959
Cherry shrimp have such a low bioload that they will be fine. Just do what you did for your ghost shrimp, and feed them the right foods.
>>
>>2068137
>She had a betta before and it died
>something low maintenance

Might as well keep a pet rock.
>>
>>2068654
Yeah, and a dog doesn't NEED anything more than table scraps and a shit filled kennel slightly bigger than it's body, but that doesn't mean its appropriate.
>>
>>2070043
And like once every three days once they're full grown.
>>
>>2070176
I came here to post this but you beat me to it.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.