[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 104829528.jpg (68 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
104829528.jpg
68 KB, 500x375
Post dog-related posts here.
Last thread got archived >>2055983
>>
File: image.jpg (340 KB, 1242x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340 KB, 1242x1242
>>2065850
So I want to get another dog, I am just not sure what. I currently have a lemon beagle, and she is great but a little tiny. I live a very active lifestyle so I need something that can do weekly hiking trips, and almost daily trips to the dog park. The main thing I'm looking for is size, I want something bigger, and protectiveness. I live in not the nicest area and I want something that will make my girlfriend feel safe without me there and something that will also be protective of her and the other dog if needed. My beagle sometimes gets picked on at the dog park because of all the pit bulls in my area so I need something to let the other dogs know she isn't alone as well.
>pic related, my awesome pup
>>
>>2066016
Also, the dog in no way has to appear menacing. I have nothing or against that. I live in Phoenix so I would prefer it to have a shorter coat.
>>
Is a dog bed 100% necessary?
>>
>>2066101
My dog likes her dog beg.
>>
>>2066101
Not really. Our dogs just sleep on our bed/on the couch.
>>
>>2066101
Seeing as my husky is currently curled up on the coffee table, which is right next to her dog bed, I'm gunna say no, not necessary...
>>
>>2066101
I use it for the "place" command, but any mat or specified area would do.
>>
>>2066016

komondor, puli, great danes, boxer, husky

take your pick.
>>
New dog owner here.

I wasn't thinking and fed my dog right after we got done with a 30 minute walk. I am freaking out and watching him. How big of a deal is bloat actually? He is about 30 pounds and has a pretty broad chest. Should I be freaking out this hard?
>>
why is my dog a total dick to my rabbit?

he chases her only a little bit but he does really dickish things like sit on her and not let her drink and gobble up all her food

for example lettuce used to be like poison to him.. but now since the rabbit eats lettuce it's the dogs new favorite food .. he steals and chokes down fucking lettuce just to be a dick to the rabbit

wtf?
>>
>>2066290
they usually get bloat if they run around after eating

anyway it's usually bigger dogs that get it

i wouldn't worry about it, it's pretty rare
>>
>>2066295
He's so jelly he can't stand it
>>
File: 1454629857176.jpg (28 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1454629857176.jpg
28 KB, 600x549
Any tips on low energy small to medium sized dogs?

My mother wishes for a dogg companion but she's kind of lazy and probably wouldn't do anything like agility with it etc.
>>
It's so sad how accurate some of this is:
http://youtu.be/TgV6gvLqu1c
>>
>>2066290
It's pretty rare, but definitely take the time to learn the signs and find your nearest emergency clinic just so you can be prepared.
>>
>>2066295
dogs are basically toddlers
>>
File: fluffypupper.jpg (2 MB, 1861x1597) Image search: [Google]
fluffypupper.jpg
2 MB, 1861x1597
How do I get my cats to not hate my puppy and my pup to relax whenever she sees one of them?

My cats are total scardey cats and want nothing to do with my puppy who's already much larger than them and will hiss and try to keep her away. My pup just wants to play and will antagonize one of them into chasing her whenever she spots one.

Pic related my fluffy pupper
>>
>>2066533
give the cats a closed off space where they can escape from the dog completely and the dog CANNOT come near them. like a baby gate with a cat tower thing behind it.
>>
File: received_1681112525470308.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
received_1681112525470308.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
My lazy buddy
>>
why do dogs stare so much
>>
How long after bringing home a new puppy (w/ final vaccinations) should you wait to take it out and socialize it and stuff? I'm thinking at least three days.
>>
>>2066139
You should've just suggested they keep a brown recluse. God, what shit tier dogs.
>>
>>2066632
o-okay :c
>>
>>2066016
Does it genuinely have to be territorial/aggressive? Honestly, any large dog is usually enough. You don't want to fuck with somebody who has a 100+ pound dog in their yard or on a leash regardless of whether it's acting aggressive or not. I don't think you really need a 150 pound Rottweiler snarling and drooling, unless you're in a really, really bad area.
There's plenty of athletic dogs with lots of energy and a protective nature, so what are you looking for as far as personality? Also, keep in mind pretty much any dog can be or learn to be protective or territorial.
>>
File: BritishSlipLead5.jpg (39 KB, 414x343) Image search: [Google]
BritishSlipLead5.jpg
39 KB, 414x343
what does /an/ think about slip leads? i want to try one for my dog who pulls, but she's 6 months old.
>>
>>2066638
Choking stuff is terrible.
Just take the time to teach her properly, you lazy shit.
>>
>>2066315
Greyhounds, probably the most low-energy dog and easily found in rescues, but need an enclosed space to run around at least a few times a week. They're a little bit, but very healthy, clean, and quiet.
How low energy? does "probably wouldn't do anything with it" really mean "doesn't want to take it for walks or play with it"? If so, I'd say don't get a dog at all. Even the lowest energy dog breeds are going to need daily exercise. It's just a matter of how much and the severity of behavioral issues that arise from not getting daily exercise. If anything, it sounds like most older dogs will do.
>>
>>2066639
but i've heard slip leads aren't as bad as regular choke collars since it's fabric?
>>
>>2066638
>>2066639
I concur. If you can't train your dog to walk on a fucking lead without suffocating them, you shouldn't own a dog. Kikopup on YouTube has great tutorials for loose leash walking if you're prepared to actually devote time to your animal. Also, you should be using a harness in the first place.
>>
>>2066641
>suffocating your dog isn't as bad because it's a different material!
>>
>>2066644
in the research i did it said they're not as bad because a thick piece of fabric won't be able to tighten down as much.
>>
Anyone know how to train a dog to jump off furniture? My dog is starting to learn how to only jump on it on queue, but as soon as he gets his butt in bed, he doesn't budge.

I don't mind him up there, but still.
>>
>>2066648
You're missing the point. Don't choke your dog because you're too lazy to train it. Choking something a little less is still choking, and it'll work just as ineffectively.
>>
File: 15158-DEFAULT-l.jpg (77 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
15158-DEFAULT-l.jpg
77 KB, 750x750
>>2066638
Learn to walk your dog.

If you need a lot of help, then try a reaction or check collar. It doesn't choke them. If they pull, you give the leash a yoink and whatever you do as a correction. As soon as he gets back into heel, praise.

Another exercise is to walk back and forth. As soon as he walks away from heel, turn around. Do this over and over and over.

There are also tons of things like front-attached harnesses too. You don't need something that tortures your dog to teach it to walk.
>>
>>2066648
I'll choke you with leather, then fabric, then plastic, then a chain.
You'll tell me if it makes a difference.
>>
>>2066653
I don't think yanking on their trachea is a great idea either. Harnesses are pretty much the best way to go. Head harnesses are slightly better, but just like prong, choke, and check collars are all meant more for "I have an untrained dog currently, but he needs to go somewhere right now that requires him to be manageable". If you're still too incompetent to train your dog without yanking on its trachea and everything else sensitive in the neck area, you should never, ever use a device like that for regular walks. It should be used exclusively in the context of training sessions, and never anywhere else. If you're gonna stab your dog in the neck all the time, he's just going to ignore it and do what he wants. I've handled plenty of dogs wearing really fucking painful looking collars all the time, and it doesn't do shit.
>>
>>2066661
You fit the collars pretty loose so that it isn't really the physical sensation of the yoink on their trachea but rather the noise the chain makes. It's the noise of the chain + the correction. If it is done right, it shouldn't cause any pain or discomfort.

And I was referring more something like a Halti harness. Sometimes having the leash mounted to the front just triggers some dogs to pull. Mounting it from the front can help subdue that urge.
>>
>>2066653
isn't that essentially the same as what the slip lead does?
>>
>>2066667
How is this preferable to reprimanding them without yanking on their trachea? If it's truly the noise correcting them, you could just make the noise yourself. Just look up kikopup loose leash walking. It's just as easy and more effective.
>>
>>2066673
Both the noises serve as a more "serious" correction than just a straight up verbal correction. And again, it really shouldn't cause them any pain or discomfort.

And that method is fine. I am just offering a different approach that is less of a treat/positive approach.
>>
>>2066675
>just making sure anon has the option of being a lazy fuck about training their dog while thinking it isn't as bad as a slip collar
>>
>>2066676
I'm not sure why you think this is lazy. You are having to watch the dog just like you would be if you were treat training it to walk. How is:
>Get out of heel
>Yoink + correct
>Praise

Any less lazy than
>get out of heel
>Treat to get back into heel
>praise

Both require effort. One method is treat based, and another method is correction based. It's not passive and just letting the collar do the work.
>>
>>2066101

it depends, it is a house dog or a bed dog, because mine sleep outside in their house with a blanket and they're not allowed to get on the couch or beds.

nice dogs btw
>>
File: hurts a little bit.jpg (198 KB, 788x715) Image search: [Google]
hurts a little bit.jpg
198 KB, 788x715
Am I terrible for crating my puppy from 9:00am - 11:00am and 3:00pm - 5:00pm? I'm NEET and take care of her all day, I give her two 20 minute walks before crating her, and there's a lot of indoor or outdoor play (depending on the weather) so I'm not completely neglecting her or anything

I just need shitposting / vidya time or I'll fucking go crazy, she willingly goes in the crate no problem and she doesn't cry or anything, she just sleeps
>>
i brush my dog outside daily and yet there is still dog hair stuck in my carpet. a rubber squeegee helps get it out, but it's tiring to squeegee the whole floor.

just wanted to vent
>>
>>2066732
>I'm NEET

You're terrible for different reasons
>>
Having trouble raising a pupper. Got it at 8 weeks old. It's now 11 weeks old. Doesn't know it's name. I say his name hundreds of times a day. I never associate it with anything negative. I do positive reinforcements regarding his name. For example I'll go to give him his treat, say his name, then give him the treat. Still nothing. His potty training has gone BACKWARDS. The first week was great. He would wine when needed to pee/poop. Now he just let's everything rip. When I catch him I take him outside but he doesn't go outside unless I'm out there for 20 plus minutes. I keep the same schedule with feeding and I have taken him out every 30 minutes to an hour. I just don't understand. When I do take him out he just sits there. Doesn't sniff around or anything. He will follow me, and sit down. I'll walk away, he will follow me, and just sit there. I took him to the same place I took him when he was doing good with the training.

Is this normal with pups??
>>
>>2066732
Nah I do it. We need time to ourselves as well.
>>
>>2066748
>Got it at 8 weeks old.

You're fucked, the damage has been done.
>>
File: BP_1_1[1].jpg (20 KB, 444x288) Image search: [Google]
BP_1_1[1].jpg
20 KB, 444x288
Is it okay if I only crate my dog during the night, but let him roam free while I'm gone during the day? I haven't had him for too long, but he hates being in the crate during the day while I'm gone and doesn't rip up my stuff while I'm out.

I've had people tell me that I should crate him anyway so that he'll be used to it if I ever need to board him at the vet. The thing is, he's a rescue, and I think the trauma of being abandoned by his original owners and thrown into a cage surrounded by scared and barking dogs will never go away whether he's used to a crate or not.
>>
>>2065850
I have a dog I need to get rid of. It saddens me. I was wondering if its possible to get a vet to euthanize it, or if its cheaper to give it away?
>>
>>2066649
Treats with a command. Boil some chicken breast and cut it up into tiny tidbits. Hold it between your fingers and guide him down while saying 'off' or 'down'.

Slowly make the distance between your hand and him bigger until he gets down on command. Always praise him.
>>
>>2066760
It doesn't cost anything to give it to a shelter, and often times you can call the shelter and arrange to drop it off at the nearest vets office.
>>
>>2066765
I tried normal treats. Held it up to his nose and guided him off the bed. When I moved in a way to encourage him to jump down, he just stared at it.

He turns into a rock on this bed. I'd really like to be able to tell him "off" so I could get comfy and have him jump back up.
>>
My puppy gets distressed still when someone leaves a room (closing the door). She'll go up to the door and hit it and make yelping/barking noises even when there are other people still in the room and trying to get her attention - she ignores everything else and just tries to make noise and bang the door.

Wat do? We try to not make a fuss and instead focus her attention elsewhere when leaving the room - and it's not being left alone, because she's fine for fairly decent periods when calm and she's not even being left alone most of the time. We don't make a fuss of entering or leaving but she'll still act as if massively distressed (or least need calling away from the door when calm) when someone closes a door behind them.
>>
File: 20151129_164528-1.jpg (4 MB, 2336x2140) Image search: [Google]
20151129_164528-1.jpg
4 MB, 2336x2140
Corgi is best breed.
>>
File: dug.jpg (134 KB, 1200x772) Image search: [Google]
dug.jpg
134 KB, 1200x772
this is my dog

rate
>>
>>2066748
>8 weeks
That's a little young. Might explain any of its retardation or behavioral problems. Probably didn't come from the best breeder, either.
>hundreds of times a day
There's your problem. If you're saying it constantly all day, it won't learn shit. Also, don't expect it to learn everything in three weeks, not all dogs are smart.
http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppy-training/ This is for Labradors, but this is a great in-depth guide for any breed. A lot of breeds are notoriously hard to potty train, so if your pup is one of them, I'd look into that breed specifically. You need to praise him when he goes to the bathroom outside. Treat him when he's done. You're probably not cleaning the mess inside up enough, either. They'll go where they've gone before if they can smell it. Would you rather shit in an outhouse where you'd rather be exploring or in a familiar, warm place?
>>
>>2066760
Why are you getting rid of it? You'd really kill a perfectly healthy dog just because you don't like it? Christ, I pray you don't own any other pets, the fucks wrong with you?
>>
>>2066748
It's not uncommon for puppies to take a long time to learn their name. The tone you use is important, but sometimes they just take a long time to realise that you want attention when you make that noise.
>>
>>2066867
>>2066870

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try that. Makes sense too. I had just read somewhere that name repetition was a good training method. And of course after I posted my initial comment he did good with potty training. Gave him some treats.
>>
>>2066874
Repetition is good, but not too much. It just loses its meaning after that. It also helps if you have another dog or similar. Give him treats when you say his name, but give other animals treats when you say their name. I'm not sure if this is a generally useful thing, but it worked for my dog. She understands her name to the extent that if I say my cats name and put a treat on the ground, she'll know it isn't hers and won't take it.
>>
File: qtqt.jpg (176 KB, 921x644) Image search: [Google]
qtqt.jpg
176 KB, 921x644
>adopted 3 year old pug/chi a few months ago
>only knew sit
>have been training her daily to come to her name and do "shake" since I got her
>still barely knows shake, only does it reluctantly when I have a treat

Would she benefit from a dog trainer or is she too old now? I am not sure what classes would be good for her, she's also a little aggressive (good with my other dogs but goes apeshit at others on walks, was ok at dog park) so I'm afraid of taking her anywhere. Thoughts on what you would do? Is my training the problem?
>>
>>2066930
Any dog could benefit from a professional trainer. I've seen chihuahuas learn advanced obedience and do some pretty fucking cool tricks, I doubt she's just too stupid or old to learn. Look for a good trainer or obedience class. Just make sure they're a no-force trainer and won't just Cesar Milan your dog into submission.
>Is my training the problem?
I'd say there's maybe a hundred cases out of every dog owner in the whole world where the problem is with the dog instead of human error. It's likely a mix of how she was socialized and how she was trained when she was younger by previous owners. Have you tried clicker training? Kikopup on YouTube is great. She has some shitty little mutts like yours that know more than I do at this point. Try following some of her advice before paying for a trainer. Just search "kikopup [pretty much any trick]" on YouTube.
>>
>>2066930
it has nothing to do with trainers or age.

it's a pug. pugs are stupid. the dog was bred to look a certain way and both its physical and mental capacities suffered for it. pugs are, quite literally, mentally retarded compared to larger dogs. this is true for most small breeds, especially ones that were warped to fit into some hideous mold like pugs.
>>
>>2066944
Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it. I've already got my eye on a few places in the area to take her to- you're right about the Cesar Milan thing too, my last experience with a dog trainer was like that and I was just hesitant because she's lashed out before when I've accidentally been rough with her. She responds best to positive reinforcement because she gets overstimulated and growls/strikes when she feels cornered. I'll look into clicker training, haven't tried it before but I've seen some really well trained dogs with that method. The thing is that I have a 2 year old pug I've raised from a pup who knows 8 tricks and learned them all extremely quickly so having a dog take so long to catch on has just thrown me a little. I'll just have to keep trying with her.
>>
>>2066930
>pug/chi
>surprised when it's unable to learn

why perpetuate the existence of monstrosities like this instead of adopting a real dog?
>>
why does my dog flip shit at the word
>mine

i can literally point at nothing and say it's mine and he will lose his mind and try to get it
>>
>>2066973
Because you make a big deal out of it and give him lots of attention when he does.
>>
>>2066973
>>2067037
Yeah, that. It's pretty obvious that it's just because you've associated it with excitement. Are you really too stupid to have figured that out on your own?
>>
>>2066968
>adopted 3 year old pug/chi
Do you even read the posts you respond to?
>>
Does anyone have any advice for introducing an adult dog to a new dog? The new dog will be in the same age and size range.

Any tips on introducing dogs, getting a new dog used to a new house and another dog, and how to pick a compatible dog would be helpful. Recently lost one of my babies and I want my other one to not be alone forever.
>>
>>2066961
Yeah. Just keep trying. And as somebody else was saying, yes, pugs are stupid, plus it's understandable for an animal bred to live in constant discomfort doesn't want to learn things. Chihuahuas are also dumb. However, I've seen both breeds very well trained. It just takes a tiny bit more effort than teaching a Golden Retriever, so people pass them off as unteachable and use it as an excuse to have a poorly socialized, untrained piece of garbage.
>>
>>2067057
because Google definitely would never have any information on this, it's just too much of a personalized situation. Nobody has ever introduced two similar sized dogs and nobody has ever written hundreds of articles explaining how to properly do it.
>>
>>2066868
Well, it's a pug and it got a terrible gas problem. It farts at least 2 or 3 times a day. Also it snores quite loudly.
>>
>>2067081
That's like buying a Great Dane and then getting rid of it because it's large. What the fuck did you expect? You can't euthanize an animal because it snores and farts.
>>
>>2067081
>terrible gas problem
>2-3 farts
My brother farts like 60 times every day.
>>
>>2067098
Well I didnt know if a vet can do it, thats why I asked. Geez, no need to attack me personally and try to hurt my feelings.
>>
File: keith-scowl.png (45 KB, 189x218) Image search: [Google]
keith-scowl.png
45 KB, 189x218
>>2067062

>visits message board
>DO NOT SHARE OR SOCIALIZE PLEASE
>>
>>2067057
>>2067143

Hi Anon, I just went through this for the first time a few months ago so I will say what I experienced and learned since then.

In terms of matching, you're going to likely have the easiest time getting a good match by getting another dog of the opposite sex. If your dog is a male, another male is also a good option. If you have a female though, another female is statistically the most likely to result in conflict (for some reason, I did not know this until recently).

Next you should assess your dog's personality. Are they energetic/playful, or lazy/cuddly? What's their tolerance for shenanigans, whether that be from people or other dogs (by that I mean people bugging them by picking them up, touching them, etc and other dogs coming up to them and smelling, etc)?

Age and size is an excellent point too like you already mentioned. Not that a big dog and a small dog cannot coexist perfectly, but it definitely could cause more problems if it didn't work out.

(cont)
>>
>>2067209
So I'll illustrate how my situation was: I had a middle-aged, 16 pound, male mixed breed dog who was lazy, just liked to lay around and cuddle, very tolerant and easy-going, perfectly housetrained.

The "match" I had in mind was a middle-aged, 15-20 pound female dog who was also housetrained and would work out with him.

I lucked out and adopted a 6 year old female Miniature American Eskimo who is working out so well. She has an alpha female personality, but it has not caused an issue since my male is so easy-going (had he been dominant, it could have easily caused a problem).
That being said the beginning involved lots of supporting my male and reassuring him he was still first to get fed, first to get pet, first to get treats, etc. As well as correcting some unnecessary/inappropriate behavior from the female (for example, she was very pissy in the first few weeks and would growl/snap at my other dog even if just tried to walk by, she needed to understand what was unacceptable). She now lays right next to my male dog and even lets him give her kisses.
Also important to not leave them alone for the first few weeks since you won't be there if any "arguments" arise.

I think in general the most important thing is for you to make sure you are fully present in the adjustment process. I think a mistake a lot of people make is just "leaving the dogs to themselves to work it out" when you're the most important part. You're the leader and the other dogs will look to you for leadership on how to act. If you show them how to coexist, they'll follow - instead of making their own (potentially poor) decisions among themselves.
>>
>>2066016
Male cattle dog. They are pretty fucking possessive of their owners and pets. Can have lots of fun but know when it's time to work.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 750x835) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 750x835
>>2067143
>visits message board
>begs for others to give them extremely easily accessible information so they don't have to do their own research
>>
>>2066748
This is how I taught my puppy her name:
First I would call her, and if she looked up at me, I'd give her a treat. If she didn't, I'd make little noises with my mouth to get her attention, then when she looked at me I'd say her name and give her a treat for association.
>>
>>2067109
I'm triggered you lazy ass fuck. Jesus, you're the most retarded person I've witnessed on 4chan.

Farts are an easy fix. Change the diet to something more healthy, I've noticed that dry kibble if it's not a good brand and doesn't agree with your dog it gives them horrible gas.

I have two small dogs myself, a shiba and a dachshund. I feed them Acana, same formula except the shiba gets puppy one and her farts smell like she just shat on your face.
And I deal with it.
>>
>>2066930
What kind of treats are you using?
I recommend cooking up some chicken and seeing if that changes her mind.
Very cute doggo btw. More pics?
>>
DOX-IN

or

DAKS - HUND

???
>>
>>2067326
Dachshund
Dachs-hund
Docks-und
>>
Best way to teach a pup to shit outside instead of my carpets?
>>
hey /an/,

What tool do you have to clean up the yard?
>>
>>2067295
All im saying is that I'm taking responisbility for this situation and trying to make the best out of it. No need to be a hater.
>>
>>2067346
m8, you literally suggested you would euthanize your dog for passing gas.

I don't blame anon for shitting on you.
>>
File: snugpugs.png (1 MB, 924x493) Image search: [Google]
snugpugs.png
1 MB, 924x493
>>2067319
She does go nuts for chicken (picks it out of her dog food, annoys me) so that might be a good idea. I don't know if that's the issue though, she pretty much vibrates with excitement for any treat I offer
>>
>>2067412
You also have to keep yourself interesting. Play with her and make her excited, then tire her out so she'll get a little hungry.
I usually do training sessions with my dogs before feeding to keep them interested in the food.
>>
>>2066101
I'd say yes, a bed is largely necessary if your dog does not have access to other sleep areas, like the couch or a human bed. You know your dog has been laying on hard surfaces probably more than they ought when they start developing those calluses of thick furless skin on their elbows, and that's about the point where you should consider giving them softer alternatives to the floor. This is particularly important for older dogs with arthritis, because they can get very sore. Having a raised sleep area is also something to take into consideration if you're in a cold location on the bottom floor of a building, because that's when laying on the floor leaves them more vulnerable to cold.

I mean, for four years my dog just slept on a raised wooden pallet above concrete with a piece of scavenged carpet over it. And that was good enough. As he's got older, I've taken additional steps to make him comfortable, and he now has four different sleep options other than the floor, including a hammock bed, a nest of blankets, and a couple of proper dog beds in different styles. Dogs actually appreciate having a choice of where to lay down.
>>
Is adopting a dog or getting a puppy from a breeder better?
>>
>>2067081
First: farting can usually be fixed by changing the dog's food to something decent. Sometimes there is a medical issue that is going on, and you might need to see a vet. Two or three farts isn't even bad. My GSD had small intestinal dysbiosis once, and he was farting every five minutes with such revolting smell that he cleared an entire floor of the house. I was the only one who would be in any proximity to him, because he reeked. But just because he smelled terrible wasn't reason enough to euthanize him. He was still a good dog.

Second: you have a brachycephalic dog. Of course it's going to snore. If you wanted a dog that did not snore, you should have gotten a dog with a muzzle that is not squished into its face. However, if the snoring is keeping you awake at night, I suggest you move the dog's sleep area away from yours and otherwise learn to ignore it. This is, again, not a reason to euthanize a dog that is otherwise in moderate health.
>>
>>2067474
Depends what you want the dog for, how much information you want on the medical and temperamental background of the dog or whether you don't mind not knowing, and whether or not you want to "do a good deed."

If you go to a breeder, be sure to find a reputable one, and not a backyard breeder.
>>
>>2067336
Praise and treats when they do the doo outside
>>
>>2067326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44f7zwT4KOU
>>
>>2067474
It's really up to you.

Going to a reputable breeder will get you a for sure temperament and the status from having a purebred.

Adopting will get you mad credit with random strangers, and you can find one with just an awesome temperament.

Tbqh I would say it mostly comes down to money. Do you have several hundred to a thousand to throw at a breeder, or 200 bucks (at most) to adopt from a shelter?
>>
What do you guys think about pitbulls and rottweilers?
>>
>>2067412
I hope neither of those dogs came from a breeder.
>>
why dogs eat grass? my doggo does it every time we go to the park, any ideas?
>>
>>2067474
Normally, adopting. Most people just aren't smart enough to choose a good breeder and end up supporting a cunt. Plus, most people don't really need a purebred breeder pup. First time dog owner? Go ahead, get an easy breed from a good breeder so you don't fuck up. Interested in advanced obedience, therapy work, hunting, or similar? You could still easily find a rescue or mix of a suitable breed, but breeder pups would be understandable. Average adult who's had dogs in the past and doesn't have any particular requirements? Most shelter/rescue dogs will do. Need a dog specifically low-energy or suited for apartment dwelling? You could/should still adopt an older dog, but it could be understandable.
Also, bear in mind that "adopt" doesn't mean "pit mix shelter dog". There's plenty of purebreds who enter shelters, and many, many breed-specific rescues. Breed-specific rescues often put a lot more into their dogs.
>>
>>2067475
The post is obvious bait, but it's a pug. Changing food won't do shit for an animal that swallows air constantly because it can't breathe.
>>
>>2067597
I've never really met an aggressive pitbull, only bad owners. They're usually big fucking sweeties, but terribly trained. I don't know why the owners are always so incompetent.
Rottweilers, on the other hand, I have seen aggression in. Specifically territorial aggression and dog aggression, but I'm sure they're very kind to their owners. Again, nice dogs, shit owners. My neighbor has 3 rotts who stay outside all the time and you literally can't close a window without them barking for 15 minutes.
>>
>>2067652
mine did it when he had parasites that were causing him to have an upset stomach. he doesn't do it now that he's clear of them.

honestly, it could be anything (parasites, too-full stomach, too-empty stomach, sickness, nutrient deficiency), or it could be nothing.

but if he's only eating it at the park and not at home in your yard or on regular walks, it could just be that it tastes good to him. if there are no other symptoms, I'd get a fecal done next time at the vet and not worry about it too much.
>>
If someone had to feed cheaper dog food, would Purina Dog Chow or Pedigree be better? Maybe something else I'm not aware of?

Please don't tell me to give up my dog. I love her so much, my rent just went up and I can no longer afford Taste of the Wild.
>>
>>2067785
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Look for high meat (dehydrated or specifically hearts and stuff) content, as little cereals as possible, a bit of veggies.
>>
>>2066016
doberman, don't need to train them to be protective, VERY athletic, smart dogs
>>
i want to get a dog, but i live alone, and work about 8 hours a day(5 days a week).
when i'm not at work i spend most of my time at home.

my mom lives close, and says she could stop by my house a few times a week to let the dog out. but i'm not sure if that's good enough.

do you think it's a bad idea?
>>
>>2067869
You definitely can't have a puppy on this kind of schedule.
A shelter dog might do okay, but you should wait for vacation to take one. It'd likely just shred your home while you're away if you just take him now.
>>
>>2067869
Yes, it's a bad idea. Wait until you have more time or other people living with you who have more time. Your only real option is getting an older dog, which you wouldn't bond with or be happy if you only have two days a week to really devote to it. You could hire a dog sitter, but I doubt it's practical to hire a dog sitter a few days a week for the rest of an animals life.
>>
>>2067344
Small plastic bag for my hand, larger plastic bag for the poop
>>
>>2067785
TOTW is relatively cheap in price and quality, if you can't afford that no way could you afford any vet bills that come up

R E H O M E
E
H
O
M
E
>>
>>2067885
I can afford vet bills. She just got her yearly exam and shots actually.

I'm not gonna rehome my dog. I got her from the city pound and she's improved so much since then. She's happy here.
>>
>>2067887
Then why can't you feed your dog something of vaguely decent quality? Yearly exams and shots aren't particularly expensive. He means health-related vet bills, which you're definitely gonna have if you start feeding your dog something even cheaper and shittier.
>>
>>2066789
>>2066649
Anyone?

He literally just plots his butt down on the bed and will not move for a treat.

Should I put a leash on and try to move him with it with light tugs?
>>
>>2067906

Go outside and start with something else.

In an out of the car, up and down between the street and the side walk etc.
>>
How do I get my dog to interact with other dogs at the dog park? He usually just sniffs around at the ground and hangs around me.
>>
>>2067344
I actually never clean the yard because the dogs don't poop there unless they're not well. They go on their morning walk. Sometimes on the evening loop around the block, but not always. But they don't poop in the yard, and rarely pee there.

If they've had diarrhoea in the yard, I hose the area down.
>>
>>2067582
>a for sure temperament
the temperament contracts only last a week or so. it's really not a sure thing
>>
>>2067109
>and try to hurt my feelings
you would kill your dog for farting when you literally have a breed known for farting

your feefees are literally the least important thing in this situation
>>
>>2067992
It's not about the contract, it's about a breeder who only breeds dogs who have proven their temperament through dog activities like Competitive Obedience, Rally, and therapy work; then waits to determine a puppy's temperament before placing them with a family rather than the "first come, first serve" mentality usually employed by BYBs.
>>
I'll post it again since I want more opinions

my father retired and now lives in a mountain village in northern Italy since he loves hiking . He has a house with a small garden there and really loves big dogs. He wants to take one but always delays, so I was thinking about getting him one for his birthday. My first choice would be a Bloodhound since it looks cool and funny to me but I don't know much about their temper. They are famous for their sniffing skills right? Temperature where he lives is obviously cold during winter but fresh during summer.
Do you think a Bloodhound could be a good choice? Any other breed suitable for mountain life?
>>
>>2068000
This anon understands.
>>
File: Shihpoo.jpg (30 KB, 350x288) Image search: [Google]
Shihpoo.jpg
30 KB, 350x288
I'm wanting to get a pupper in the summer. What's the best place to get a hypoallergenic dog? Also what breed of hypoallergenic dog would you say is the best for a first time owner?
>>
>>2068010
Depends. What are you looking for in a dog as far as temperament? How much time can you devote to your dog daily? Your options as far as hypo-allergenic dogs is limited. The best place to get a hypoallergenic dog is from a reputable breeder (upwards of 900 dollars for a decent dog) or a rescue specifically for that breed.
Poodles are great generally. But they have vigorous exercise requirements, tend to be barkers, and it's pretty hard to find a healthy dog since they're frequently bred by BYBs. If you want an exercise buddy, though, poodles are definitely the way to go.
>>
I'm trying to choose healthy chews for my dog, but there's so much conflicting information. Some vets saw rawhide is safe, some don't.. Some say nylabones are great, some say that they're dangerous. Same with antlers and raw meaty bones.

I just want to give my girl the best.
>>
>>2068005
Nobody responded because it's an awful idea and you don't sound competent enough to pick a dog breed, let alone a decent breeder.
>buy a dog for somebody who is delaying getting one (probably for a reason)
>picking a breed because "it looks cool"
>>
>>2068005
Buying animals as a gift is almost always a bad idea.
>>
I have a pee problem with my dog. He's about 7 years old.

A few years ago I moved house and took in my mother's dog when she passed. He had a slight problem with marking in the old house but my mother said it wasn't too bad.
My problem is that my dog seems to mark the house very often (every one or two days). He gets out regularly for walks and he gets out in the garden in between as well if he's had a lot to drink. I keep an eye on him during the times when I'm awake but when I go to sleep he pees in the house all the time. I usually clean it up, wipe with bleach/disinfectant if possible.

My dog just can't seem to wake me up if he needs out or this is a bad habit.

My plan to treat the environment is to rip up the carpet, clean all of the furniture and soak the hardwood floorboards washing with vinegar/water to neutralize the odor. Also buying a dehumidifier to help with that issue. Hopefully it should work.

I can try to treat the urine issue at home but it's just firefighting if I can't solve the problem. Any advice on how to stop this, it only happens when I'm out of the house or asleep.

I don't want my house to smell like urine.
>>
>>2068010
seriously, go to a pound and visit dogs .. take home the one you don't react to
>>
>>2067869
i got a dog when i lived alone and was out of the house 8-12 hours a day..

we did fine but i woke up extra early to walk him in the morning and walked him first thing when i got home.. not something to take lightly but certainly doable

the "you can't have a normal job and have a dog" meme is fucking old as shit and annoying as hell
>>
>>2068078
>the "you can't own a social animal and leave it alone almost constantly" meme is fucking old as shit
>>
>>2068074
If you've ruled out a health issue then it's back to crate/confinement training
>>
>>2068074
I would take him to the vet to rule out kidney issues, diabetes, and urinary tract infection as a start.

After, I would agree with >>2068132 and go back to confinement.

If he's holding it as long as he can, but just can't manage the length of time, then I would suggest either a dog door so he can take himself in and out (only if you have a secure yard) or a bell that you can train him to ring when he wants to be let out.

I actually just had to train my 8-year-old to ring a bell to be let out at night time, because he doesn't reliably whine loudly enough to wake me up.
>>
>>2066732
Uh, Anon...
Is pic related your dog?
If so, yeah, she'll be fine.
>>
>>2067869
Maybe a puppy would be a bit much.

But I adopted a 9 month old cattle dog and do 12 hour shift work. I do like 6 days a fortnight. I did the same as other poster, days I'm working I walk her in the morning and after. She's not neurotic. I leave her shit to do like kong, hide treats, she'll pool and leave her toys to throw around. She's great. Although this is anecdote, I know a couple people in similar situations and their dogs are fine.
>>
>>2066732
I just tire mine in the morning.
Then she sleeps from 1:30PM to 5:30 or so.
>>
>>2066533

My cats wouldn't go near my dog for around 4 months. Eventually they came around and now they're all fine with each other. One cat in particular is the best of friends with the dog.

Make sure the cats have a safe place they can retreat to with no dog, but regularly bring the least skittish of your cats to your dog. When there try to get your dog to be calm and not try to play or antagonize the cat in any way so that he doesn't try to chase them when he sees them.
>>
>>2068162
Alright, maybe some shit dog like a pug would be fine, but a fucking cattle dog? The fuck is wrong with you? You can't leave an extremely high-exercise working dog with a need for mental stimulation at home all the time and give her two fucking walks a day.
>>
File: u wot 500.png (25 KB, 1290x580) Image search: [Google]
u wot 500.png
25 KB, 1290x580
>GSD puppy
>just got to four months, she's looking super good, obedient and well socialized

>but oh my god
>the barking

Anything from stiff wind, rain and birds in the trees, she has to make sure I know about it.

In her puppy class which I'm attending, the trainer basically told me that the only thing you can do is misdirect her attention with treats or playing whenever she starts barking, which I'm doing but I'm pretty much praying she'll just grow out of it.

Any tips on getting her to stop alarming on everything?
>>
>>2068323
And what experience are you speaking with. Days that I work she gets an hour out. She can't even keep up when jogging so we do agility at the park.

And the days I'm not working (right now I'm on 5 off), we go for 2 hour hikes and do plenty of obedience stuff at home.

Blue heelers literally sleep all day when they aren't being active. Additionally, she's smart as fuck, learns very quickly and has no neurotic traits. Learn to dog.
>>
>>2068329
Teach her to bark on command.
She'll pick up that barking on command gets her a treat, but that barking when you don't ask her gives her nothing.
And then you use this occasion to also teach her a shut-up command.
>>
>>2068332
My dog barks alot at the park with other dogs. She isn't aggressive, but she just runs around dogs barking. She's a herding breed. Would teaching her to bark on command be a way to get her to stop?
>>
>>2068332
Ace. Thanks, anon. I'll give it a whirl.

Also, speaking of GSDs, her ears haven't risen up yet. I don't have a picture handy on my computer, but they're very soft at the tips, while feeling more firm and stiff the closer to the base you get.

The breeder said they'd rise by weeks 12-14, which I'm well past, but a retired dog trainer in my town said it can take as much as six months, and at that point I may want to tape them with some styrofoam pads made specific for that purpose. Opinions on waiting with taping, or should I try it right away and see if they stiffen up?

I'll love my dog endlessly regardless, but Shepherd's pretty much are iconic with the ears.
>>
>>2068334
If she barks because she's beside herself with excitement, I doubt it, really. All you could do is praise her when she's calmer around other dogs or just silent.
>>
File: doggie.jpg (4 MB, 2368x4208) Image search: [Google]
doggie.jpg
4 MB, 2368x4208
Got this guy about a month ago, he was listed as a kelpie cross by the RSPCA. Any ideas what he might be crossed with?
>>
I was planning on picking up a husky. I want a companion dog that can keep up with me and has energy, but is also relatively independent.

The problem is I work a full time week on shifts, so sometimes I'll do three 12 hour days, others I'll do five 7.5 hour days. I have no issue with the exercise element as I usually get up early to hit the gym and can run at any time of day quite happily, but I am concerned that a dog I keep might be lonely. Is it okay for me to keep a dog as a working man?
>>
>>2068356
>husky
>three 12 hour days, others I'll do five 7.5 hour days

you will lose your couch and cupboards and everything you hold dear. exercise isn't enough for a husky, they need mental stimulation too, and when they get bored, they become insanely destructive.

the 12-hour day kills it. if you have a house with a yard and a doggy door, and you're set on getting a dog for a companion, I'd suggest getting a chill adult/senior dog, but do NOT get a husky.
>>
>>2068331
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/australiancattledogs.html
>Australian Cattle Dogs require lots of exercise. Working livestock, agility, jogging, biking, chasing balls, and playing Frisbee are productive outlets for this breed's high energy.
>Vigorous exercise requirements
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/australian-cattle-dog
>He's not well suited to living in an apartment or being left alone for long periods of time.
>The Australian Cattle Dog is an extremely active dog who needs constant mental and physical exercise.
http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/australian-cattle-dog
>The ACD has high energy levels and needs much more activity than a simple walk around the block.
>The Cattle Dog requires lots of daily exercise and mental stimulation to keep him busy.
http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds/herding/australian-cattle-dog.html
>This dog needs a lot of physical and mental activity, more than a simple walk on a leash can provide.
>This dog must have a job to do or it will expend its efforts on unacceptable jobs of its own.
http://www.cattledog.com/misc/intro.html
>The Australian Cattle Dog is a social breed that NEEDS to be with "its people". This is NOT a breed to leave chained or penned in the back yard....such isolation will lead to SERIOUS personality problems !!
>Because the Australian Cattle Dog is an active breed, a firm commitment must be made to exercise.

There's five independent sources saying you aren't exercising your dog anywhere near enough. He probably sleeps all day because he's depressed. Lethargy, especially in extremely high energy breeds with no known health issues who aren't elderly, isn't normal and is a sign of depression from a lack of mental and physical exercise. You should seriously consider either re-homing your dog or hiring somebody to take care of it.
>>
>>2068360
It'll likely also howl the entire time you're gone. Noise complaints will be filed quickly if you have neighbors within a 3 mile radius.
>>
>>2068360
There will almost always be someone in the house at all times, just not me. Still, I don't want to potentially harm a dog for my own pleasure. Can you recommend any particular breeds for someone who wants a running partner?
>>
File: 1372438253036.jpg (35 KB, 731x550) Image search: [Google]
1372438253036.jpg
35 KB, 731x550
>been trying to to persuade dad to let me have my own dog
>never gives me a straight answer, badmouths cute rescue dogs I show him
>mum tells me he has a "plan"
>ask about this plan
>"well it would have been better a surprise but because everyone in the house won't leave it alone - cos something something anniversary, we'll get an Old Dog replacement"
>mfw explicitly replacing beloved Old Dog with the same breed
>mfw getting a puppy from breeder instead of rescue dog like I wanted
>mfw new pup will be family pet rather than mine
>when I move out, I can take Current Dog
>mfw parents trading Current Dog for newer model
Am I being a little bitch or is this kind of cold?
>>
>>2068466
The three of you are terrible.
>>
File: image.jpg (384 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
384 KB, 1280x960
My Boston terrier was the result of a backyard breeder and had a corkscrew tail that dug into his butt and he had a chronic infection in his tail pocket. We finally found a vet we trusted to do the surgery to open the pocket and my pup is like a new pup. I've never seen him chase a squirrel and two days post surgery he's chasing the squirrels and jumping (:
>>
>>2068468
Aw.
>>
>>2066754
I need help with this as well. Just rescued a 4 year old Beagle and trying to crate train him for when we all leave for work in the morning.
>>
Long story short, I have a great 8 year old little dog. She's bright and very treat motivated. I've been able to teach her many commands in her years. BUT she's been staying with my family for 10 months and will finally be back with me permanently again in 3 weeks. My family not only doesn't understand dog training, but they are completely detrimental to it. She stayed with them in the past for a month and bounced back into obedience almost immediately but I'm worried this time has been too long.

My question is if I should jump straight back into training which I'm sure she's had none of for almost a year, or if I should let her adjust for a few days to the altitude, new people, and myself again before correcting any behavioral damages.

>I've missed her so much ;_;
>>
How do I know when it's too hot to walk my dog? She's a black, short coat border collie.
>>
>>2068500
Just start right away again.

>>2068510
If you're wondering if it's too hot out, it's too hot out.
Have her walk on the grass instead of the pavement. Check the gutter, maybe it was shaded by the curb.
>>
>>2068522
It's only 80° today and during the summer it's gonna get way hotter. Damn Florida. I'm letting her walk on the grass since she doesn't wear shoes like I do.
>>
>>2068523
they've got rubber booties that look like water balloons. if you're worried about hot pavement, they can help shield her paws. I used them for my dog because my apartment salts the sidewalks really heavily, and there were a few times when he started limping because either the ice or salt hurt him so badly. they're called pawz booties, and the dog won't mind them like real ones because she'll be able to feel the ground through them.
>>
>>2068368
your wanting of an "independent" dog nixes things like viszlas and weimaraners, even though I always like to see more of those. probably you want an airedale or another medium-sized sporting dog. you have to keep up with its exercise requirements, though. that means every day, not just on the days that you're off work.
>>
>>2068510
Put your feet or the back of your hand on the pavement. If it feels too hot, it's too hot.
>>
>>2068466
If you're not old enough to get a dog without Daddy and Mommy's permission, you're not old enough to have your own dog. Your parents don't sound like they're replacing your older dog either unless they're getting rid of it. If he's an elderly dog it's understandable that they'd want another dog that isn't almost dead and useless. I also understand wanting a dog to be "yours", but you're being a little bitch about it.
>>
>>2068363
She gets enough exercise and stimulation as she doest get up to 'unacceptable' behavior. She is absolutely wrecked by the end of the day. All those sources show nothing but, 'lol needs heaps of stimulation', which yes, they do but in comparison to another dog LOTS of exercise is a couple hours out as opposed to 30 mins like other dogs.

So many cattle dogs in Australia, you have no clue. Not all are used on farms. And eveyone I come across isn't exercised for 6 blues a day doing rigorous fitness regimes and are fine.

You are a retard who isn't very good at reading comprehension / doesn't have a dog / likes to argue on the internet.

Tldr ; my dogs fine, the vet knows it, I know it, she knows it. We are off for a hike now, lol enjoy being an absolute sponge.
>>
>>2068363
You sound like a bit of a neurotic mess. Dont you get enough exercise?

Pretty sure he said he takes the dog out heaps and gets lots of time off. I know 3 cattle dog owners and whilst most of those sources are good advice, these things dont need 8 hours work a day. Hell, most cattle dogs after a jog are fucked. I used to take one walking whilst his owner was recovering from a motor bike, he would last maybe 20 minutes jogging until he flopped down.

Another 2 used to come down to the dog park. They were awesome at fetch, unlike any other dog I have seen. But 30 minutes later, back fat out and tongue rolled out .

The guy (or girl) doesn't need to re-home it, haha settle down bro.

> it is not a hyperactive breed, and once one has had its exercise, it is happy to lie at its owner's feet, or to rest in its bed or crate while keeping an ear and eye open for signs of pending activity. The Australian Cattle Dog is an adaptable dog that can accept city or indoor living conditions, if its considerable exercise and companionship needs are met.[30]

- Buetow, Katherine (1998). The Australian Cattle Dog: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet. New York, NY: Howell Book House. ISBN 978-0-87605-446-8.

WOAH LOOK AT MY SOURCE I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG.
>>
>>2068633
Nice single source from '98, really disproved the other four dozen articles that disagree with everything about it. Regardless, it still doesn't justify the ridiculous hours alone and lack of anything other than a shit break most days of the week. Also, just because your friends dogs are out of shape doesn't change much about literally everybody still alive disagrees with you.
>>2068621
Yes, a few of hours of exercise and not to be left alone for the majority of their life. Two whole days a week spent with your dog isn't an achievement. No, not all cattle dogs live on farms. That doesn't mean "leave alone for 8-12 hours weekdays, spend 2 days with it and it's just fine"
>>
>>2068648
Not the other guy but she isn't left apart from 2 days a week. The max I work is 3 days in a row and get 4 off. I should add on the days I am not working someone is either home or she goes to her friends house and they run around and play. Not sure where you got the 2 days a week think, I would agree with you if that's the case. Im fit as fuck and love out doors shit so she suits my life style.
>>
New here.
I want to adopt a dog. What should I buy or do before adopting one?
>>
>>2068693
Make sure you have all the supplies you'll need and that you've dog proofed your home and yard. Read up on clicker training. Watch kikopup and Zak George on YouTube.

Choose a dog who is compatable with your lifestyle, energy level, etc. Some breeds are very challenging to live with.

If it's gonna be your first dog, don't adopt one with existing behavioral issues unless you can afford to work with a veterinary behaviorist. Just get a calm adult dog.
>>
>>2066610

Because they're trained to be very aware of people's body language I suppose. Humans stare too.
>>
My roommates have a huge husky, as in 160 pounds or more and stands taller than me and im 6 foot tall. He lives in an apartment and never leaves. He runs out of energy fast but isnt obese.

...should I just release the beautiful creature while he isnt home? I live in oregon about 100 yards from one of the biggest forests in the country. The poor thing just looks out the window all day at his freedom. He doesnt even like his owner, he ignores him.
>>
Anyone here have experience with shiba inu? Are they hard to train?
>>
File: NSnIWVAZ.jpg (119 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
NSnIWVAZ.jpg
119 KB, 768x1024
So I have this dog for about 2-3 months now and I feed him twice a day

I've noticed that he stopped growing in size

does the amount of food have any relation to growth?
>>
I grew up around Shelties and collies, and I want a dog of my own.

I'm thinking of Sheltie or a Belgian Tervuren. I think the Sheltie would be the more practical choice, since I'm an apartment dweller. But I fell in love with Tervurens from the first time I saw one a dog show.

Any pointers?
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 600x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 600x256
Does the left exist anymore or are they all bred to look like the right?

How could I find one like the left picture?
>>
>>2068888
You breed it with a lab.
>>
>>2068888
They're bred the same, Anon. The one on the right just too the GSD show pose. It probably looks like the one on the left when you let him walk and stand normally.
>>
>>2068901
Is full of shit.

>>2068888
Left is working line, right is show line. I don't know internationally, but I got a GSD with a near-perfect spinal line here in Norway, and it's pretty much the only kind you get unless you adopt one that got smuggled over by swedish jews.
>>
My dog eats twice a day. Should I feed her before or after our morning run? Her breed isn't prone to bloat so I'm just wondering which would be more comfortable.
>>
>>2068927
After, wait until she stops panting
>>
>>2068912
I feel so bad for the deformed dog on the right
>>
>>2068912
I live in burgerland, I want to find a strong healthy Shepard
>>
>>2067869
>i want to get a dog, but i live alone, and work about 8 hours a day

i have the same problem.
when not working i enjoy hiking and fishing, so i would love to have a dog to do that with, but i just would feel right about leaving a dog home alone while im at work all day.

I was thinking i could bring a dog to work. (i work outside).
i figured if i left the dog in the bed of my truck, with a cap on it, and all the windows open, it would be fine. i take atleast 5, 20 min breaks a day, not including a 30 min lunch. i could walk the dog on my breaks. plus i'm always around my truck so i could keep an eye on him.

any thoughts on this idea?
>>
>>2069192
>I was thinking i could bring a dog to work. (i work outside).
>i figured if i left the dog in the bed of my truck, with a cap on it, and all the windows open, it would be fine.

it's a nice idea, anon, but you need to test the temperature that your truckbed gets in the summer first. you could kill your dog even if the windows are left open. he'll need icewater, too. and I assume since he'd be in the truckbed, he'd need a soft place to lie down. give him some mental stimulation toys and, assuming the temperature wouldn't get terrible and kill him, it sounds like a pretty sweet setup.
>>
>>2069206
thanks for the input. i never really thought about that.
i live in the state of maine, it gets pretty cold in the winter, and kinda hot in the summer.. i usually park in the garage when its really cold.

i was going to get one of those dog beds for him to lie down on.
>>
>>2069044
>2068888
On German Shepherds:

>http://pinehillgsds.com/whydotheywalklikethat.html

This is why they look like they do, condensed by a nice breeder for us cretins.

The slope has a function. Having a perfectly square dog is not correct. Equally, having a very roached dog is not correct.

How they are stacked affects how sloped they look.

Do your research on your breeders if you want a decent GSD.
>>
>>2068927
Definitely after. I normally wait at least 30 minutes after exercise before I feed.

Do not feed prior to exercise, unless you're feeding a lot prior -- like two hours.

Even dogs not prone to bloat will still bloat under the right circumstances, and it's best not to push your luck.
>>
>>2069214
like I said, test the temperature of your car on a hot day. with a good blanket/bed combo, a hot water bottle or something similar, your potential dog could probably handle the colder temperatures.
>>
Any one have any experience with a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever or a Brittany? I dont know which one I want get and I want some personal opinions.
>>
>>2069251
What are you looking for in a dog, and what is your lifestyle like?
>>
>>2069253
Active. I run two miles a day and I would also take said dog to a park or just in my back yard and have intense play time with it. I also hunt quail.
>>
>>2069257
I would go to field trails and dog shows to meet breeders of both breeds, describe your lifestyle and get their opinion
>>
>>2069219
>>http://pinehillgsds.com/whydotheywalklikethat.html
The "wrong" examples look nothing like the dog on the left
>>
>>2069222
Thanks mane
>>
File: image.jpg (815 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
815 KB, 2592x1936
I have a labrador retreiver thats around 7 months old now, got hima couple months ago. I love him a lot.

When I take him on his daily walk after school, he always tries to go ahead of me and push ahead, even if the leash is pressing against his body already. He barks at every dog and person he sees and its so embarassing.

When we got him we made the garage his room with his cage, food, toys, where he sleeps. Whenever I leave him, he barks and barks and barks until someone goes and keeps him company. This is the biggest problem. I ignore him most of the time until he stops, but some days he will just bark for an hour, and I have to go in there because my neighbors will get annoyed.

I spend a lot of my day with him, but when Im in school (8 hours) i cant really do anything to stop him from wrecking the garage. He goes to his crate when we tell him to, and he doesnt mind us closing it, but when we leave the room while hes locked in his crate, he goes ballistic and barks. We are still working on potty training.

I want him to be a nice mellow dog, so i take him on walks, but then he barks at other dogs and lunges at people across the street. When we get home, I feed him and leave the garage but if he hears me talking inside he starts barking until me or my siblings go inside.

What do I do? If he keeps this up, my parents might give him away, which is a shame because he is a wonderful dog that probably just wasnt socialized before we got him.
>>
>>2069274
a dog is not supposed to have a "room" where it is away from people. the dog is supposed to be in the house with people.

dogs are not outside animals.
>>
>>2069299
How do I train him to be inside? He hops on the couch where he isnt allowed and tries to jump on the counter whenever we let him in. I usually have to give him a bone to keep him distracted, but once he gets bored he runs amuck
>>
>>2069304
>How do I train him to be inside?

take him inside. The dog is not going to work out for your family, because your family does not understand dogs, so the best thing to do is start looking for a good owner. Do not give the dog away for free. People drive around collecting free dogs and sell them to medical testing.

Your family wants to lock the dog away inside a crate inside a garage. probably with the lights off. just no idea whatsoever how to treat an intelligent animal, and everything being done wrong at every turn. You cannot get a dog to behave by locking it away. Its behavior will only get worse. The dog needs to be inside.

>he jumps on the couch and shit

so push him off? what is there to understand? your family is building no relationship with the dog and the dog hence has no respect for any rules or for your family.

honestly, just look for a good owner, someone you know. this isn't gonna work out for your family from what you've said, it's just all wrong.
>>
>>2069260
Get the dog on the left's legs under it squarely and it'll probably be downhill towards the shoulder. That will negatively impact foreleg function and wear as it gets older.

The dog on the right is probably fine in a square stack, but while you can tell some things from glancing at a stack you really want to know about OFA hips/elbows if you want to know if the dog has good joints.
>>
>>2069304
>>2069274
Bop him in the face and say no.
>>
File: berger-picard-07.jpg (528 KB, 1418x1253) Image search: [Google]
berger-picard-07.jpg
528 KB, 1418x1253
Does anyone have any experience with Picardy Shepherds? I've been reading about them and they seem they could enjoy living on a farm.
>>
>>2069334
>I've been reading about them and they seem they could enjoy living on a farm.

I'm sure they could, you know what else would enjoy living on a farm? any basically free dog that you could rescue from death at a pound or shelter.
>>
>>2068885
What are you looking for in a dog, how much time are you willing to put into the animal daily for training and exercising?

>>2068888
It is extremely fucking difficult to find a purebred GSD with no sloped back. It doesn't necessarily mean you will be paying more, I've seen frog GSDs go for $24 grand. But it will be difficult to find a decent breeder, especially when there are so many GSD breeders pretending to be decent. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack pretending to be needles
>>
>>2068912
no >>2068901 is right. Look up how to stack GSDs on youtube.
I've put my dogs into the same stance before and realized why GSDs look fucked up.
>>
>>2069367
They were engineered this way relatively recently for shows and nothing more

This shit is disgusting, if you look at old pictures of the animal their stature was more like the left
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 261x193
>>2069384
Pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 499x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 499x465
>>2069387
And another
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 351x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 351x251
>>2069390
And here is a modern one, even before it's trained
>>
>>2069338
Whats the problem with anon getting a pure bred dog?
>>
>>2069410
Purchasing a dog other than from a shelter or pound, unless it's for working purposes, is morally wrong and no argument can be made otherwise.

You are basically paying for the continued existence of more animals while other animals suffer and die alone. You are paying to create more animals when there is nothing but a sea of suffering animals.

Buying a purebred dog = murdering a pound dog. There is no way around it.
>>
>>2069414
Its not a persons fault if they get a purebred dog that a shelter dog dies dude.
>>
>>2069414
This anon is spot on.
>>
My puppy has been hacking and gagging, but she doesn't vomit.

What could be the problem? Could it just be little junk she ate?
>>
>>2069414
Shitposting on the internet instead of selling all your material possessions and giving it to charity and going to help, even for working purposes, is morally wrong and no argument can be made otherwise.

You are basically paying for the continued miserable existence of some of your countrymen and many all over the world who will suffer and die, sometimes before even their teens. You are paying to create more poverty where there is nothing but poverty.

Shitposting = murdering your poorested countrymen and little African and Indian kids. There is no way around it.
>>
I live in an apartment and I am thinking about getting a dog. How often should a dog be walked if I live in an apartment?
>>
>>2066101
My dog sleeps on a towel.
>>
>>2069452
V E T
E
T
>>
>>2069488
Depends on the dog, at least three time a day for relief
>>
>>2066101
My dog seems to like to sleep next to the toilet in an, unlit less-used bathroom. During the day anyway.

At night he usually will just sleep on top of whatever vaguely soft thing is closest to a human. He grunts constantly the entire time.
>>
>>2066016
I would say CBR, loyal, protective, athletic, won't take shit from a pitbull, and to most people, looks like a Labrador.

But...
>Phoenix
Lol, no.
>>
>>2066016
Go get a boxer mix, very comon, and healthy
I got a boxer/akita/mastiff mix, she isn't menacing looking till someone fucks with her. Very VERY active, will tire you out before you tire them out. Nice as fuck inside.
>>
potty training puppies sure is.... ruff
>>
MY FUCKING DOG HAS BEEN BARKING FOR AN HOUR, HOW DO I MAKE HIM SHUT UP?PLEASE.
>>
>>2069695
choke and squeeze
>>
>>2069695
Distract him, redirect his attention to something else like training or a bone.
>>
Thinking about getting a purebred German Shepherd puppy straight from a great bloodline and Germany.

He's going to be 2,000 diggeridoodles. Should I do it?
>>
>>2069700
Does the breeder do extensive health testing? Do they do any sports with their dogs, such as herding or Schutzhund?

Those are signs of a good breeder.
>>
>>2069695
I'm going to rephrase this in an appropriate manner.

2~3 years ago my dad found a dog near his house and decided to adopt it since it was completely alone, at the time he was around two months old, the next years went all the same, my dad didn't really had time to spend with the dog, so he usually gave him a bowl of food in the morning and leave him alone for the rest of the day, and only played with him one or two hours a week.
Now fast forward to two weeks ago, my dad had to move from his house to another one where he couldn't keep the dog anymore and asked me to keep it since there is a little space where he can live; everything was fine until some days ago, he barks for hours, today he started barking at 6 PM and he's still doing it (it's 7:30 PM now), the problem is that it can't stay inside and he isn't in the best of the places (I live in a three story building, I'm on the second floor and he's in the ground floor), I think he just feels lonely, but I have no idea what to do, I played with him for more than an hour today, I'm trying to train him, but he was raised really bad and I don't know what to do, please I need all the help you could give me, I don't want him to suffer.
>>
>>2069707
They sure do. They also sell older German Shepherds who are extensively trained in nearly fucking everything, save for drug sniffing.

I just want a pup for sentimental reasons and to train him myself.
>>
>>2069700
I'm interested in doing the same, mind sharing the breeder's information?
>>
>>2069719
That's awesome damn.

I do obedience with my border collie but in the future I want to raise a GSD puppy for Schutzhund.
>>
>>2069709
three hours non stop now
>>
>>2067081
>my dog's body performs perfectly normal biological functions that are much MUCH easier to deal with than shitting on a rug or destroying furniture. Which is the easiest way for me to kill it?

You sound like human garbage right now.
Why did you even get a dog?
>>
>>2067081
Successful troll is successful
>>
>>2069773
I sure hope that's a fucking troll.
>>
>>2069798
It is. Pretty simple technique he's using as well.
>>
>>2069709
I actually had a pretty similar story. What type of dog is he?
>he barks for hours, today he started barking at 6 PM and he's still doing it (it's 7:30 PM now), the problem is that it can't stay inside and he isn't in the best of the places (I live in a three story building, I'm on the second floor and he's in the ground floor)
When we first got our dog (a staffy/lab mix), he'd been moved from home to home for his first year or so and had probably been hit by papers and other owners. He was really uneasy about staying with us for the first 3-6 months. He was terrified if you left him alone and had some trust issues. For his first month he would not sit still or lay down at all in the house. When we'd leave the house, even for 5 minutes, in the first two weeks he would cry loudly non stop.

>I think he just feels lonely, but I have no idea what to do, I played with him for more than an hour today, I'm trying to train him, but he was raised really bad and I don't know what to do
That's exactly it. You need to let him into your home and life. Let him know he's safe.
Our dog learned to trust us, he knew he'd get food regularly and was loved. He stopped 3-6 months in.

The only time he cries now is if you cut his nails, eat a food he loves or take him in a bus or car. The last one is hard to shift because he was clearly changing house time to time but if I can drive this year I'll take him out and about.
>>
File: collar.png (452 KB, 900x530) Image search: [Google]
collar.png
452 KB, 900x530
i just bought this collar for $32 usd. did i fuck up? it's good quality but seems expensive.
>>
>>2069905
Ruffwear is quality but very overpriced.
>>
>>2069906
yeah it seems overpriced but it's the best quality collar i've found so i guess it's not too bad.
>>
>>2066101
No. My dog prefers to sleep on the harwood floors. He is a hairy fuck so he enjoys the cold. Lays down infront of the door and keeps cold air out
>>
>>2069905
good collar lasts for lifetime of dog, but you can get similar quality kong collars for like $15
>>
File: Dog.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Dog.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
How can I get my dog to stop chasing my pet cats?
He is almost 2 and he chases the fuckers since he was a pup.
One cat is a bit more used to him he will just sniff and lick her the male cat on the other hand he will pin and sometimes nip at.
Bouviers are pretty fucking stubborn and smart dogs and they are instinctual herders. Had other dogs who were cool with the cats and never gave a fuck and they were raised the same as him.
>Tl:dr dog chases cats to how fix that?
>>
How to teach 6 month old airedale puppy not to bite?
My dad keeps telling me to hit him on the nose when he does it but I'd prefer not to.
>>
>>2070064
see >>2069944
>>
File: I don't even know anymore.png (18 KB, 509x411) Image search: [Google]
I don't even know anymore.png
18 KB, 509x411
>>2068329
>been working on bark on cue
>trying to drink coffee and get some work done
>puppy has been barking all morning because the seagulls are coming back and she seriously has it in for them
>literally nothing except her being with me calms her down and I can't keep her by the work computer because I still don't trust her with cables
>>
File: doges.jpg (57 KB, 603x222) Image search: [Google]
doges.jpg
57 KB, 603x222
>>2066016
Boxer or Pit Bull.

I'd recommend Pit Bull.
>>
Oooh I could post such dog 'related' shit. Really half tempted.
>>
I need halp, my puppies been throwing up and having diahrrea. I came home earlier and found bloody diahrrea on the puppy diaper pad. I'm going to bring him to the vet tomorrow but anybody know of any remedies for him? He's a 2yr old 5 pound yorkie,Chihuahua mix.
>>
>>2070011
Your dog sounds like the kind of bro draught excluder dog that I want instead of a clingy hot water bottle.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.