[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there only a specific period of time when there are baby squirrels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3519x2346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3519x2346
Is there only a specific period of time when there are baby squirrels around or are there baby squirrels around ALL year?
>>
>>2049868
Is there only a specific period of time when you are retarded or are you retarded ALL year?
>>
>Eastern gray squirrels can breed twice a year, but younger and less experienced mothers normally have a single litter per year in the spring. Depending on forage availability, older and more experienced females may breed again in summer.[19] In a year of abundant mast crop, 36% of females bear two litters, but none will do so in a year of poor mast crop.[20] Their breeding seasons are December to February and May to June, though this is slightly delayed in more northern latitudes.[11][16]

>The first litter is born in February or March, the second in June or July, though, again, bearing may be advanced or delayed by a few weeks depending on climate, temperature, and forage availability. In any given breeding season, an average of 61 – 66% of females bear young.[20] If a female fails to conceive or loses her young to unusually cold weather or predation, she re-enters estrus and has a later litter.

>Normally, one to four young are born in each litter, but the largest possible litter size is eight.[20] The gestation period is about 44 days.[20] The young are weaned around 10 weeks, though some may wean up to six weeks later in the wild. They begin to leave the nest after 12 weeks, with autumn born young often wintering with their mother. Only one in four squirrel kits survives to one year of age, with mortality around 55% for the following year. Mortality rates then decrease to around 30% for following years until they increase sharply at eight years of age.[20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_gray_squirrel#Reproduction

This applies to the eastern gray squirrel.
>>
>>2049869
sick burn m8
>>
>>2049868
Spring into late summer, sometimes late fall. They have 2 breeding seasons.
>>
>>2049886
>>2049957
So if they begin breeding in December, there will be no babies during December since they will be pregnant until January?
>>
>>2049993

I'm drunk right now so excuse me for not asking your question

but did you find an animal you think is a baby squirrel or something?

If you found a tiny squirrel, it might be a flying squirrel. In which case the odds are pretty much 100% that it's suffering from metabolic bone disease and needs proper nutrition immediately.
>>
>>2050538
Nah but thanks for taking the time to try and help
>>
>>2050538
Probably wants a baby squirrel. OP should just wait for a hurricane or a storm storm during their breeding seasons. I end up picking them left and right.
>>
Qué bonito
>>
>>2049993

They wouldn't get pregnant in December. From late October to mid March there are no babies. The breeding seasons are spring and late summer.
>>
>>2052906
So if they breed from January through March, what month do the babies come? I thought they only had a gestation period of a month
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.