[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last time I post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (891 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
891 KB, 3264x2448
In aq thread I got ignored so

I'm having trouble rising my tank salinity to brackish levels. Trying to treat my guppies for ick. So far I've raised the temperature to 88 degrees and they like it. But some of my fry and two of my adult females are showing signs of severe stress and just sitting on the bottom or near the bottom

I've Raised the salinity to 3 ppt. II've used grocery store sea salt and can't raise it past 3 in the tank despite adding like 25 tablespoons of salt. How much should I put into my 10 gallon tank?
>>
>>2055072
Add an aerotor to your tank. If you havent already done that then your just asking to kill off all your fish. 85 degrees is all you need, I would not go higher than that. The higher the temperature, the less oxygen is available to the fish, and Ich stops reproducing at 85 degrees, with one rare strain able to reproduce up to 92 degrees, but you almost definitely dont have that. The best way that I've found to treat ich is;
1. Raise temp to 85 (in your case lower)
2. Add SOME salt to the tank, definitely does not need to be brackish.
3. Feed often, and with good food, preferably using blood worms or baby brine shrimp more often along with dried food.
4. Wait. It takes 3-5 days for all the Ich to mature and die, and raising to 85 only keeps them from reproducing, it doesn't kill them. So you still have to wait for them (the ich) to fully mature and die.
>>
>>2055077
Mucho gracias seƱor
>>
>>2055077
Also forgot to add.. water changes. Do them often. Like 10% a day. This is really to help counteract the amount of food you should be feeding them. The feeding is crucial, as a healthy, happy animal should naturally be more resistant to disease. That means not only feeding dried food, but foods that are 'treats' and the fish go crazy for like mysis, or blood worms.
>>
>>2055078
If you don't have an aerator in your tank i would add ice cubes to your tank to lower the temp to 85. Not many will be necessary...
>>
>>2055077
A bubbler doesn't add air. It only breaks the surface to gas exchange.

Anyway throw the fry in trash and get some cooler fish m8
>>
>>2055099
Was thinking of buying cichlids to eat them
>>
>>2055099
If I buy cichlids will they hunt fish individually or will they slowly take bites out of the fish? Don't want them to suffer. If they will suffer what's a good choice of fish predator
>>
>>2055099
If that's what you really think, then your stupid.
>>2055103
They'll eat the fry whole. Anything to big for them to swallow they'll bite to death.
>>
>>2055103
Depends on the cichlid though, bolivian rams for instance are quite peaceful
>>
>>2055106
Bubblers do not add oxygen. They disturb the surface and tray a gas exchange.
>>
>>2055104
I have a 4 inch electric blue acara and woke up one day to 5 missing guppies.
>>
>>2055110
he's right, you're wrong.

they increase the surface area of the tank because the surface of each and every bubble is part of that area.

increasing the surface area increases gas exchange, which does in fact add oxygen and remove carbon dioxide.
>>
>>2055106
What I mean is , do they bully the fish, nip. And do they kill each fish individually or slowly kill the whole tank. And will they eat my flakes instead of live fish? I want them to only eat the guppies sometimes.

I want to be able to keep a population of cichlids
>>
>>2055110
tray a gas exchange?

The problem is that at high temperatures, oxygen gets removed from water at a very quick rate, and so it needs to be added back into the water by means of gas exchange. So yes, adding something that increases the exchange of gases will increase the oxygen available to the fish.
>>
>>2055115
Yes that is exactly what I said you dingus. Bubbles themselves do no add oxygen like the commoner thinks. You smoking crack bruh?
>>
>>2055116
They'll flat out swallow the babies, and bully the adults to death. How big is your tank?
>>
>>2055118
>Bubbles themselves do no add oxygen like the commoner thinks
and I said you're wrong.

they do.

what part of this aren't you getting?
>>
>>2055117
Bubbles don't add oxygen. Plain and extremely simple. If you don't know what a gas exchange is them try google.
>>2055116
How big is your tank?
>>
>>2055118
No, your just being fucking retarded. Don't breed, please.
>>
>>2055121
Were you raped as a child? The bubbles don't add oxygen. Or creates a gas exchange when the surface area is disturbed.
>>
>>2055118
I'm not sure that the bubbles add zero oxygen, since they are air bubbles floating through the water.
>>
>>2055122
>Bubbles don't add oxygen. Plain and extremely simple. If you don't know what a gas exchange is them try google.
I don't even know where to begin to unravel this type of stupid.

you know the bubbles are in fact the gas that's being exchanged, que no?
>>
>>2055125
>The bubbles don't add oxygen
they do though.

you saying it over and over doesn't make you right. It just makes you stubborn and wrong.
>>
>>2055119
But,
Will they single out an adult and pick on it specifically
Or
Will they slowly peck each one of the adults to death at the same time
>>
>>2055125
>Subsurface aeration seeks to release bubbles at the bottom of the water body and allow them to rise by the force of buoyancy. Diffused aeration systems utilize bubbles to aerate as well as mix the water. Water displacement from the expulsion of bubbles can cause a mixing action to occur, and the contact between the water and the bubble will result in an oxygen transfer.

>the contact between the water and the bubble will result in an oxygen transfer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_aeration#Subsurface_aeration
>>
>>2055123
>>2055127
>>2055128
Air stones do not add oxygen. This is very simple concept you idiot. You should not own fish. All they do is create SURFACE AGITATION (big word for you) so it can help creat oxygen.

This couldn't be anymore simple to understand. The only stubborn one is you for being so mad for not seeing you're wrong. Get rekt.
>>
>>2055131
>All they do is create SURFACE AGITATION (big word for you) so it can help creat oxygen.
incorrect on every count.

the bubbles contain oxygen which is transferred to the water before the bubble reaches the surface.

nothing about this "creat oxygen."
that's just retarded.
>>
>>2055130
This is the EXACT thing being said. How can you be so dense?
>>
>>2055125
>>2055122
>>2055118
The amount of oxygen in a tank at that high of temperature is depleted very quickly, in order to compensate that you increase the gas exchange with the atmospheric air, which contains more oxygen then what is in the tank. In order to do this you create more surface area, which is defined as the amount of water that is exposed to atmospheric air in this case. Therefore, by adding thousands upon thousands of bubbles, it adds more oxygen because it's fighting to keep the tank in equilibrium with the outside air.
>>
>>2055134
it is not at all what you're saying, you fucking illiterate little retard.
>>
>>2055134
You seriously must be a troll. Good bait sir.
>>
>>2055132
You're just mad because you got rekt. The surface agitation creates an exchange. The bubbles themselves don't add the oxygen. Any fish you own I recommend giving away so they do not suffer.
>>
>>2055138
he might be serious, I heard this exact same shit from an idiot at petco a couple years back.

people are stupid.
>>
>>2055137
You're the only illiterate one here. Apparently you have never learned how to read. Google could have answered all this for you as well. I'm guessing you also believe instant cycles.
>>
>>2055139
>The surface agitation creates an exchange.
true
>The bubbles themselves don't add the oxygen.
both happen.

it's not one or the other, both are true.

and I'm not mad, I just enjoy calling stupid people stupid.

makes me feel all superior to know the average user here is completely retarded.
>>
>>2055135
If you have a good filter it should be helping add enough oxygen.
>>
>>2055141
I work in water treatment, I know for a fact you're being stubbornly stupid.

I also keep fish tanks in an environment with very low oxygen, so I absolutely know my shit when it comes to aeration.

recommending google is good though. Because it doesn't agree with you, not one bit. so anyone that takes your advice can see that you're wrong.
>>
>>2055143
No. You're just legitimately mad because you feel retarded. Those with autism feel the need sometimes to feel superior and strong.
>>
>>2055148
Lrn2read baby boy. Need some mummy's milky? Do you not know bubblers don't add straight oxygen to the water and that upsets you?
>>
>>2055151
what's to be mad about?
I've posted links directly contradicting your lie.

you've posted nothing to support your lie.

I've won.
If we pretend there's anything to win here.
>>
>>2055144
Yes, ofcourse it will, because it creates agitation and bubblers in the water, along with adding more surface area to your tank just as is.
>>
>>2055152
>Do you not know bubblers don't add straight oxygen to the water and that upsets you?
>straight oxygen
kek
nice job moving the goalposts.

my bubblers add straight oxygen.

except for the one I have that adds trivalent oxygen. That's not exactly straight oxygen, is it?
>>
>>2055148
Actually there's a quite a bit of information on google how bubblers work. The most common explanation seems to be that they create surface agitation which allows for the exchange of gasses and that bubbles don't add much if little bit of oxygen (the argument here is some bad fish owners are saying that the bubbles are adding all the oxygen). That's the general consensus. The real explanation would take pages.
>>
>>2055153
All I've read so far is what you're both saying and it goes: bubblers create agitation at the surface which then let's oxygen exchange. That's literally what every post is saying and everyone is getting autistic about it so they're not reading anything. Everyone in this thread needs to kill themselves.
>>
>>2055156
>bubbles don't add much if little bit of oxygen
they increase the surface area because the surface of each bubble is part of the surface area of the tank.

at that surface, oxygen from the bubble is absorbed into the water, from the bubble.

how much oxygen a bubbler adds depends on a lot of things such as water temperature and depth, rate of bubbles, and air temperature.

but to say they don't add oxygen is a lie, and not even a clever one. It's just stupid.

bubblers are literally how we strip CO2 from water and add oxygen in its place.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 552x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 552x626
>>2055155
Look everyone we have a funny guy over here.
>>
>>2055162
>bubblers create agitation at the surface which then let's oxygen exchange
oxygen exchange also takes place before the bubble reaches the surface.

in fact if you block off the surface completely so no oxygen gets in from surface agitation, THE BUBBLES WILL STILL ADD OXYGEN.

because bubbles add oxygen to the water.
>autistic
>what stupid people call being correct.
>>
>>2055163
The common fish owner thinks the bubbles from the bubbler is what adds the oxygen. This is what I'm getting from this thread.
>>
>>2055169
and they're right to an extent.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 295x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 295x302
>>2055168
I can't comprehend how dumb one person can be. Get out of this thread before I call moot.
>>
>>2055169
Your just some autistic fuck in some lowlife job position who feels like the have to be elite and more knowledgeable then anyone else on a board, even when you have four people arguing against you, who actual back up they're claims besides 'hurrr dduurrrr, ur dum, u pleb. I kno wat do'
>>
>>2055175
so how do you think the oxygen in the bubbles magically doesn't get into the water?

let's hear your theories on water chemistry.
>>
>>2055176
kek
moron.
>>
>>2055176
I don't have a job because I won the lottery a few years back. You're projecting your sad pathetic life.
>>
>>2055181
They float to the top and go "pop pop pop" breaking the surface tension and helping add oxygen.
>>
I feel like I should either get japmoots attention or call the cops because this fighting is beyond trashy.
>>
>>2055187
yes dear, but the bubbles have oxygen in them?
right?

and that oxygen is touching the water at the bubble's surface, right?

so how does that oxygen in the bubble that's touching the water's surface MAGICALLY KEEP FROM GETTING INTO THE WATER?

what grand forces are at work in your universe that allows oxygen to be absorbed at the surface but nowhere else? I really want to know. What mechanically prevents the oxygen in the bubbles from being absorbed by the water?

please?
>>
>>2055185
Fuckin fat chance, you autistic fuck. Getting $100 off your scratchers (that you've spent $300 on) doesn't count.
>>
>>2055189
are you not entertained?
>>
>>2055193
Ahh I love the sound of angry peasants.
>>
>>2055192
I can't keep this up anymore. Seems I have some really good bait. I'll save this for next time.
>>
>>2055198
very well.

were you the guy telling people to do a fishless cycle with piss?

because I think that one actually got someone.

anon was complaining about how his tank was neon yellow but the ammonia wouldn't go down.
>>
>>2055193
You didn't win the lottery, bud. Sorry to tell you.
>>
>>2055202
Yes and I didn't think anyone would believe me.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.