[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Introducing Dogs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 20160115_144117.jpg (220 KB, 1178x1146) Image search: [Google]
20160115_144117.jpg
220 KB, 1178x1146
I have a 9 month old Great Pyrenees (80lbs) and a new puppy that will be 8 weeks old and ready for pick up in mid-February.

My older Pyr has never shown any signs of aggression. She even has a reputation for having a soft spot for smaller dogs and always prefers them during socialization exercises. Speaking of, for what it's worth, she has been well trained and raised. Not some redneck shit dog.

Just the same, I'd like to minimize the risk of deliberate or accidental injury to the smaller dog (I expect it to be in the 20lb range at 8 weeks).

I was thinking of maybe putting on of the dogs in a crate (pic related) or both in their crates side by side. That way they can see, hear, and sniff, but the older can't get close enough to cause a problem.

What is /an/s thoughts?

In case anyone asks, she does still sleep in her crate. She's out in the house all day when awake. (indoor dog).
>>
If my experience means anything, you should be more afraid of the smaller dog causing injury to your bigger (trained) dog. small dogs tend to have napoleon complexes as well as short tempers. maybe its also because people dont expect it. but just watch up for it OP
>>
>>2043176

OP Here.

I guess I used the wrong word. The puppy is another Great Pyrenees. It's only small because of its age. I've seen the same "little-dog complex." Not sure it applies to puppies?
>>
>>2043230
not that anon, but puppies will 100% be more rambunctious than a regular adult small dog.

you know your dog better than anyone else, so if you say your dog has a soft spot for smaller dogs (naturally, as she's a pyr and they have a good protective instinct when it comes to small animals), then you don't need to be too worried.

I say have them meet on "neutral ground"--as in, not in your house, which is your older dog's territory. have you or someone your older dog loves walk her to a park, or somewhere else in the neighborhood, and bring the pup out there for them to meet. this way your older dog won't feel like the puppy is immediately encroaching on her territory. have them both on leashes, just in case.
>>
Have fun with your BYB pup. You should save up for trainers and vets; you're going to need it.
>>
It totally depends on your dog and the puppy. Some adults dogs are very tolerant of annoying little shit puppies jumping all over the adult and being an all around ass while other aren't. Some puppies are supper annoying/excited around adult dogs and some are intimidated and a much more cautious around them.
>>
>>2043362
The other dog is a pup as well.
Op the moron bought ANOTHER puppy
>>
>>2043344

OP Here.

>Have fun with your BYB pup. You should save up for trainers and vets; you're going to need it.

Why on earth would you think it's a BYB? This is a purebred AKC puppy that had the reserve price paid on it 3 months in advance, just like my other one. At no point did I say anything that might indicate either of my dog's is BYB. God, /an/ is stupid sometimes.

>>2043270
Thank you for mentioning the neutral ground idea. That hadn't occurred to me. That's a great idea for some extra peace of mind.

>>2043366
>Op the moron bought ANOTHER puppy

Here is someone that doesn't know the extreme behavior difference in a 9 month old and an 8 week old. 9 month olds are like adults with more energy. All their faculties are there, they start respect their superiors, and they can learn everything you can teach. This usually ramps up sharply around 6 months.

Anyone having 2 puppies at the same time is a moron? Under normal circumstances, this is strongly preferred for the wellbeing of the dog. Dogs can teach each other stuff a lot easier than humans can, and their training runs 24/7. If you have 1 well trained dog, the unexperienced dog will watch and copy it. There's also the subjects of bonding, anxiety, field play, etc. We let 1 year go between them so we could focus all our efforts on stabilizing the first one (which she is) so she would be a powerful role model.

There is a short list of reasons that make having 2 puppies a bad idea. No money, no time, a dog with special needs, owner with no knowledge of dogs, etc. Anyone with the time, money, and a basic knowledge of dogs can handle 2 puppies at once easily. ... Save for BYB dogs which tend to adopt out at 5 weeks and have all sorts of weird shit going on, like not knowing when or how hard to bite, food aggression, and problems feeling secure. YMMV. They all are messed up in the head in some way in my experience.
>>
>>2043478
No reputable breeder would place a pup before 12 weeks. Especially a large, protective breed. They need that time with mom to learn how to properly socialize and recognize social cues.

Your breeder isn't a BYB- what's the kennel name?

There are many reasons you shouldn't have two puppies at once (yes 9 months is still a puppy, especially with large breeds).
Littermates syndrome is a real problem.
And now you have half as much time to devote to socialization and training.
>>
>>2043478
Under 1 year is a puppy, OP. You keep saying dog, but that is misleading; you have 2 puppies.
>>
>>2043528
>No reputable breeder would place a pup before 12 weeks.

What is this fairy tale world you live in? 90% of REPUTABLE breeders will place dogs at 8 weeks. If they leave them longer than 8 weeks, they will continue to nurse and tax the mother. Serious breeders take great pride and put a ton of work into their choice breeders. They don't want anything taxing them more than necessary.

That, and they're fine at 8 weeks and have learned all they're going to from their siblings and mom. Look it up. The exception is only if the dogs are born into a training program, like guard dogs, where they are trained from the day they're born. That is not at all typical.

>>Your breeder isn't a BYB- what's the kennel name?

My business. Not yours. I am not opening myself up to some /an/ social-defect contacting them. I don't have to prove anything to you. You don't believe me, I don't care.

>>There are many reasons you shouldn't have two puppies at once (yes 9 months is still a puppy, especially with large breeds).

... what? Large breeds are only different in jeopardized growth rates affecting certain illnesses. The time they should be fixed is pushed way back (18 mo female/2 years for male is typical) to prevent the disruption of their hormones, because that stalls growth and can trigger a wealth of ill effects, like bone cancer. Their mental state is identical to a toy breed in terms of development. There is nothing that makes me them prone to acting "puppy like" at certain ages than other size dogs. Where do you get this stuff?

>>And now you have half as much time to devote to socialization and training.

... just ... what? Have you ever owned two dogs? It's not like you can only use 1 at a time. Most activities are done together, and the 2 dogs being together amplifies the effectiveness because they're watching the other dog as much as they're watching you.

Please don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about. Misinformation is how animals get hurt.
>>
>>2043551
I would say it's funny how misinformed YOU are, but your pets will suffer for it. That is not funny.

I actually no quite a bit about raising a litter properly because j am a dog breeder. I breed and show Rat Terriers. My dogs have gone on to be national winners, therapy dogs, service dogs and dog sport champions. I have 20 years experience with my breed, and I know many other reputable breeders.
They all keep pups until they are 12 weeks old, except for my large breed friends, who tend to keep their pups for 14 weeks.

Yes, you do have half as much time to train and socalized now that you have two puppies. Raising one pup is hard enough, now you have to do everything twice.
Did you think you could just train them both at the same time? Take them both out for socalization? The pups are just going to focus on each other, instead of you and their surroundings.
Proper training and socalization of s pup takes about an hour each day. Now, you are going to have to devote two hours a day every day to your puppies.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.