[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found a bird
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I found a bird who seems to be sick/can't fly. Going to take him to the vet in the morning. Not sure what he is. Looks kinda like a pigeon but he seems too big and isn't gray. Anyone know?
>>
>>2042635
It looks like a fancy pigeon. Maybe the offspring of a lost racer or something?
>>
King pigeons---they're often breed for meat which is why they don't fly well....
>>
It's a pigeon aka rock dove. Domesticated ones have long been released/escaped into the wild, and interbreed with their wild cousins. It's not unusual to see 'unusual' colored pigeons among normal looking pigeons. They do just fine in urban areas just as their wild brothers unless they're one of those really fucked up looking ones(basically pugs of the wolf world).

It looks fine from the picture, but keep us updated. Pigeons can be total bros OP so you might want to consider building a coop. Alternatively if you can't or can't find a new home for it, keep it for a few days, feed it, and it will probably return to you everyday or so. That happened with the sick ones I found and took in. Let them go when they got better but if I left the door or window open they'd fly right in and follow me around. Great birds if not really messy, but I just didn't have the room for a setup and no one wants pigeons in a city.
>>
>>2042644
That is absolutely not a 'king pigeon'. It looks nothing like it. There's over 100 different breeds of pigeons, plenty are larger than 'average' pigeons and unless this one is escaped straight out from a show or breeder, then it's not a breed at all. It's just a mutt-pigeon. I'm also assuming it isn't banded, since OP made no mention of a bracelet.

OP's pigeon's colors are pretty neat though. I've seen plenty of black and white pigeons like that, red and white, and red and black but the red, black and white I don't think I've come across in feral populations yet. Reminds me of almond rollers.
>>
He's really pretty. I would keep him as a pet.

One of the pigeons that lived in my grandma's barn fell out of a nest and my aunt took it in and fed it and raised it and suddenly had an awesome pet that would coo for her and chill out with her at home. When she was home, she'd let the silly thing out of it's cage and it would fly around the house and would always stay in the same room that she was in. She'd also let it take baths in her bathtub. She'd fill it up just deep enough for the Petey to wade around and flap. The shower curtain prevented too much of a mess from happening. She could just spray down the tub and shower curtain afterwards to get rid of all the bird dander.

They had this ritual. When she'd get home she'd yell out Petey Pete and the pigeon would coo and frantically run around the cage. It was like the lamest game of Marco Polo. Eventually my aunt would "find" Petey and let Petey out of it's cage and Petey would do a couple laps around the house, always landing somewhere in whatever room my aunt had migrated to and then coo at her and fly around again.
>>
Pigeons are bros, give it to someone to knows about birds.
>>
>be dove hunting
>see a "large dove" early in the morning
>shoot it
>watch it tumble to the ground on to the road
>bounces 10 ft into the air off the ground and sounds like a bunch of smashing equipment
>It's a giant fucking pidgin
Fuck.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.