[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of mice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Capture.jpg (15 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
15 KB, 320x238
What do you guys think of mice?
>>
mice are cute
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 337x225) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
13 KB, 337x225
>>2037133
>>2037134
I had a mice problem last week, caught em with glue traps, and killed almost 5 of them. havent seen any this week.

I drowned one in hot spinning water, thought that wasnt too bad. I tried using the edge of a slab of wood to crush the next one in the backyard, i missed its head and completely flattened its bottom half and i quickly smashed its head a couple times to end its pain quick. I vowed to never do that again.

I caught the third and fourth in one trap and tried something different, more humane. I wrapped them in a paper towel, put them in a ziplock bag, and found a 30lb dumbell and squashed them. The last one my little brother wanted to let it free so I spared it. We went to the mountain and released it with olive oil. Coyotes would probably ate it by now.
>>
>>2037134
thats fucked up

mice r qt
>>
>>2037158
rice shit all over the place and have disease tho
>>
>>2037175
So do you
>>
>>2037123
Good snek food.

>>2037175
>rice shit all over the place and have disease tho
>rice

Chinese are rather nasty.
>>
>>2037134
Peta doesn't love animals by the way, they literally want to kill all pets on earth
>>
>>2037123
Pretty, but making a decent looking enclosure to keep them is impossible.
>>
>be moving stuff out of old home
>removing dressers drawers from vanity
>one of them is stuck
>finally pull it out and find a moma mouse feeding 2 pups under a chewed up teddy bear
>friend automatically picks it up by the tail
>babies are attached to the mother's nipples
>he tosses her into the nearby bush
>see her crawl away like a lizard with the pups still attached
>>
mice are great
scurry scurry scurry
>>
>>2037123
They're alright, but I'd much rather have rats as pets.
>>
>>2037123
Mice are qt and quiet.
>>
I like them. They aren't as friendly as rats, but can still be chill enough that you enjoy letting them climb on you. I want to start breeding sone pet ones in the next year or so when I have a proper set up to do it. Probably sell the extras for snake food once I figure out a humane enough way to kill them.
>>
File: i am snek.jpg (4 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
i am snek.jpg
4 KB, 284x177
Food ? ? ?
>>
They're really cute and I love the variation in their coats but they're just not up to snuff to rats. Not as smart or friendly.
>>
>>2037562
rats have awesome coat variations, from naked to smooth to curly (prefer rex/curly rats fyi, they feel like teddy bears) and they come in a million different colours. Can't get bored of ratties :)
>>
>>2037572
>>2037562
http://www.dapper.com.au/whatrat.htm
>>
File: rodent.png (369 KB, 412x425) Image search: [Google]
rodent.png
369 KB, 412x425
>>2037155
dude just put some water on them and you can get them off the glue trap, you don't need to sadistically kill them
>>
File: -2.jpg (122 KB, 1811x1358) Image search: [Google]
-2.jpg
122 KB, 1811x1358
kill a few with bbs

they get the message and infest someone else's apartment
>>
>>2037625
>Crossman
Spotted the poorfag
>>
Do pet mice shit everywhere also? Can you train them to shit at a spot?
>>
>>2037705
Probably could train them, but I imagine it would be a little harder and you would have to keep their territorial behavior in mind, making sure if you more than one that they don't feel the need to mark.
>>
>>2037705
Mine more or less use a certain area all by themselves.
They aren't perfect at it by any means though and shit everywhere when they're out. Fortunately the stuff is pretty inoffensive.
>>
>>2037737
thats disgusting
>>
This literally just happened 10 min ago.

>catch mouse in humane trap
>feel it running around in it
>10 min drive to field
>open trap, it just plops out, arm slowly moving

WHY

I didn't drive rough at all and the trap didn't even move. It's like it drowned itself in its own piss and shit on purpose. The most humane thing that I could have done at this point was step on it but I didn't have the balls so I left it and covered it in the snow thinking it would quickly freeze to death since it was already wet.

Still feel bad.
>>
>>2037155

It doesn't take a lot to kill a rodent dude, Jesus Christ. I had caught a massive fucking rat in a glue trap once, and it was screaming like fucking mad, so I gave it a pat with a wooden mallet. No muss, no fuss. No mess. It died instantly, then I trashed it.

I also had a cat that was teasing a little mouse. It's spine was broken, or it was in shock and just breathing heavily. She kept flipping it into the air and catching it. I couldn't watch it suffer like that, so when she dropped it by my foot to show me how proud of her catch she was, I stepped on it. She walked over, and ate it immediately. She never teased prey again after that in front of me. What she would do is drag them by me, and eat them in front of me instead. Strange creature. She caught a rabbit once twice her size. I was proud of her, but she kept the carcass nearby and ate it for a few days, which I wasn't as pleased about, but I let her do her thing. I miss that crazy little thing.

>>2037795

Mice are prone to neurological diseases. Major environmental shocks can be deadly. You probably frightened it to death without realizing it. Shit happens, they are fragile creatures.

>>2037486

Mice are adorable. I'm gonna spend tomorrow pricing some terrariums and non-toxic crafts at Micheal's to build a habitat for some.

>>2037429

Not really. You just need to have something they can't chew, or slip out of. Plexiglass terrariums are one option, but if they can find a way out of the top, they will. They are escape artists. They also offer poor ventilation. Wire cages offer great ventilation which helps with ammonia build up, but if the bars are spaced more than 1cm apart, they will slip out eventually.

Straight up plastic all-in-one cages are terrible. They will shit, and piss all over them and the smell will be disastrous. As will the possibility of poor oxygen flow killing them from CO2 buildup.
>>
>>2037738

Just use a bathtub for their out-of-enclosure "play time" and clean up wont be as much of an issue. It's child's play to clean a bathtub, and most tubs are nigh impossible for a mouse to escape from as long as you keep an eye on them, and make sure there's nothing they can use the climb out. Because they -will- climb the fuck out and they will be hard to recapture.

Rats tend to bond more deeply with humans than mice, and escaped rats are smart enough to know that their enclosure = safety, security, warmth, and food. So they might run around chewing things, but there's a good chance they'll come back. Mice? Not so much. Mice are like cats, they tend to like you, maybe bond with you, but not to the extent that rat's are more likely to. Or at least not as readily, or as often as rats will. In that regard you can compare rats to dogs. They can actually exhibit traits akin to loyalty.
>>
>>2037795

What happened was that it was left in a small, enclosed space with no "out" for an extended period of time which probably sent it into shock.

Mice, rats, and burrowing rodents/mammals crave security. They need to know that no matter where they are, there are always within reach of the safety of an escape route, or a hiding place at a moment's notice. Removing that possibility is traumatizing for them.

That's why when you build structures for them to explore inside of, it's always considered a good idea to give it windows. They love being able to peek out of them, both to survey their surroundings, and to give them the notion that they always have that "out" in case something goes down. It keeps them happy, calm, and satisfied. It lets them enjoy themselves without as much worry, which makes for a happy mousey/ratty.
>>
>>2038556
>Mice, rats, and burrowing rodents/mammals crave security. They need to know that no matter where they are, there are always within reach of the safety of an escape route, or a hiding place at a moment's notice. Removing that possibility is traumatizing for them.

They sound like introverts.
>>
>>2038568

That's just the way they are. They're insanely curious to a fault; they crave familiarity and safety at the same time. Without knowing they're absolutely safe in everything they do, they most likely wont do it.

It's what's helped them survive as a successful species up until this point, so it can't be a bad thing.
>>
>>2038575
Again, they're introvers
>>
>>2038581

Ehh... Not really. Introverts wouldn't crave social interaction. Males can live alone without issue if they're sufficiently stimulated, but females will fucking die of loneliness.
>>
>>2038594
Thats because the males can MGTOW but the females need the D
>>
>>2037704
spotted the american child
>>
>>2038597

Actually the females do best in pairs with other females.
>>
>>2037175
Lel I laughed because mice turds look like little grains of rice. Also Peromyscus are cutie as fuck.
>>
>>2037738
Not really, seeing as only one likes to be held, and only for very short little periods of time. So yeah they'd piss and shit on me if I was carrying them around but I don't do that, and they don't want me to anyway so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>2037419

They want to eliminate "ownership" of animals by humans and consider killing domestic animals to be a reasonable means to that end.

I don't think peta "loves" animals so much as realizes that they (as a whole) suffer incredibly as a result of being kept and bred by people.
>>
>>2037123
they are cute..
i had one that aways stayed at my shoulders like a parrot :)
but my grandma killed him and my others 30 mices :(
>>
i have 3 pet mice atm
3 females
they lived over a year and something
they still going strong but you can see they old
no problems whatsoever
nice pets
>>
>>2037123
cuter than rats but they don't seem to like people. you either get ignored or fear responses. how can something so similar to rats be so different?
>>
I think they are adorable...

But pet store fancy mice are horribly inbred and are disgustingly unhealthy.

My best mouse owning experience was when I saved a tiny runt barn mouse from my cat and kept it in a hamster cage for several years.

Super cute and funny.

Was always very skittish though. So we couldn't take him outta the cage often, so we put many ad ons and wheels so he could run more.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.