[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
>QTDDTOT
>Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I think you get the idea.

My question: I just started having odd vomiting that came suddenly and went away entirely when I vomited, no other signs of being sick, then it happened again after drinking some more tea.

My CAT also vomited at about the same time I did, but he rarely EVER vomits, like hasn't vomited for at least a year. We drink water from the same tap. Could that or something else be making us both sick?
>>
Sounds like a troubling health issue, yet you come to the slowest board for advice...I hope whatever it was killed you and your cat by now.
>>
Did your cat see you puke? Seeing a person vomit can make someone else do it too, your cat's body might hit the eject button in case he ingested the same gross thing you did. It's like contagious yawning, dogs can catch yawns so maybe cats can catch pukes.
>>
>>2017776
He may have, I think he really may have. This happened late at night, so I watied till this morning to do anything. His vomit was not abnormal looking, just his kitty food spit up, no blood or lots of hair or anything. I feel mostly better too. I am taking him to the vet if he vomits again though, vet's idea. So you really think he could have been sympathetic vomiting? I know people do that, I think the reason is survival oriented:
>if they have become sick from something, I might be too so I should get the poison out now

Also, qtddtot doesn't mean I made this to just post my own question, it's for anyone's oddball questions. Like a mini /r/ but board oriented.

I know you're a dumb broad /an/ but geesh.

>>2017774
>wishing a cat would die
Have you considered suicide today? Because it'd make me feel less sick if you did.
>>
Huh. Well I have a cat that started to have pinkish urine and it ended up being dehydration. I had always thought that dry food was totally better than wet food, but some cat's don't drink enough water so they need wet food to avoid dehydration.

Long story short, I didn't like the wetfoods available nor the prices versus dry food. So I just started grinding his dryfood up into powder and mixing it into water to make a pussy porridge.

Does anyone else do this, is this a terrible idea? He seems much more hydrated now and always eats it up. Any tips for perfecting this and other ideas for cats to stay hydrated? I hear fountains are useful, but I don't know...
>>
My cat keeps meowing and acting strange, hearing noises and running around the house. She's just really jumpy in general. Can somebody tell me why? It's beginning to really piss me off since I'm trying to concentrate on some things at the moment.
>quite an old cat, bit senile
>usually meows randomly but not like today
>might be because the rest of the family is on holiday and she's still trying to look for them
>I've fed her and she's still crying for attention
>>
>>2017875
How old is she?
>>
>>2017875
False alarm, she's finally gone to fucking sleep. Guess she was just having a senior moment. Looks like my question didn't deserve a thread after all.
>>
>>2017877
15 I think. She's actually pretty healthy for an oldfag. It was only about a year ago that she started acting weird and doing shit like this. Probably on her way out now but oh well.
>>
>>2017875
>>2017878
Well always check the regular signs for sickness, see if there's piss or poo in unusual places, check urine colour because females get FLUTD more often than males iirc. A kitty with that will meow out of pain and might release anywhere.

Also if they go outside at all, they may have picked up something from another cat, or even just been stressed out in someway you don't know. The senior but is just another can of worms on top.
>>
>>2017764
I believe your cat is detecting a ghost that is invisible to you. Tread carefully and monitor you feline's behavior,if she appears freaked out get the hell out of your domicile and perform a cleansing of your residence.
>>
>>2017880
Yeah, she never really soils inside the house. She throws up sometimes but I'm assuming that's a normal thing unless it happens often.
>>2017885
That's what I was worried about, don't jinx it pls ;-;
>>
hello /an/
I'm looking for a breed of cat that is around a medium/low energy level and doesn't shed that much hair. Any suggestions?

Also, can cats survive flight travel? Is it as bad for them as for dogs(or so I have heard)?
>>
>>2017893
I don't know anything about the dog-air travel concern, and I know cats are taken in planes more often than dogs (proportionally) because they're smaller on average and easier/cheaper to take. Some airlines might still allow you to have them in the plane with you.

What was that about air travel being bad for dogs though?

As for breeds, any short hair would be good except the exotics like savvanah cats because they are typically VERY energetic. You could also get a sphinx or other hairless/nearly hairless cat. If you want a talker who also has a better chance of liking water in addition to what you've outlined then get a American Shorthair. I love them and the girls seem just as sweet as the boys.

Consider getting a boy and a girl from the same litter, no matter what you get. It'll be good for them and good for you.
>>
How bad are stairs for growing big dogs? Are they okay if I take it slow and easy both up and down the stairs or is it bad for them no matter what?
>>
>>2017905
Bad for most animals with time, even cats.
>>
>>2017764
So my GF has been asking for a bunny rabbit for 2 years for christmas. She loves animals, my local family owned pet store that I trust sells them for $30 a rabbit. Should I just jump and get her one for christmas? She is really excited about rabbits and loves them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2017920
Pic related is the bunny selection
>>
>>2017920
They can be pretty nifty if the owner puts in the time to get them "housebroken." They'll shit in a litter box and play with cats that are introduced to the rabbit as kittens.

If they are just going to keep it in an outdoor hutch, or you think they won't be able to do proper inside-keeping, I'd advise against it. Outdoor bunnies get wary of people and everything really and that exacerbates the issue and eventually it is just another neglected pet. I am speaking in broad strokes here.

Big rabbits are way cooler than little ones imo.
>>
>>2017928
definitely indoors, and I want her to be able to keep care. She goes to conservatory in boston so she has space but not tons for animals like dogs or cats. I am going to assume its gonna be an indoor bunny.
>>
>>2017932
Indoor and caged is sad too.
>>
>>2017919
That sucks. I'd need an elevator then.
>>
>>2017977
Could just segreGate the stairs off from the pets, and take them up with you, or keep their life down/upstairs only (for the most part). And I would really only worry about it when they show problems with the stairs, they will have joint problems most likely no matter how much care you take. Just make them comfortable as their needs change, like you would want for you.

Not so bad that way is it?
>>
>>2017862
bump.
>>
>>2017889
Does your girl clean herself alot? Maybe more than average for a cat?

My last female threw up alot more often than the male but both were regularly seen and considered healthy, I think that might just be true of females. By threw up, I mean hairballs too. Can any other anon's confirm if their girl cats seem to puke more than the boys?
>>
My cat is lost, has to be third night that she hasn't returned home. Any suggestions? Tips? She has the chip in her neck but that's only if someone finds and scans it.

Pic related. She easily gets scared.
>>
>>2017862
It's better than just dry food, but will never be as healthy as wet due to the high carb content.
>>
>>2017905
Ideally try to limit them to once (very slowly) per day, and prepare for the eventuality that your dog will one day be too old to handle them.

Also Google epiphyseal plate injuries, that's what you're trying to avoid.
>>
Anyone know what kind of pets out there that can be left alone for 12 hours at a time?
I'm guessing like fish and hamsters?
>>
I got a mouse that is scratching the fuck out of his eyes. I believed I found the culprit to be his bedding, Carefresh, has perfume or something in it, so I switched to shredded newspaper. He keeps scratching like crazy. Apparently he formed a habit that he can not break. I am trying to make his cage very interesting so he will spend more time doing other shit than scratch his eyes, but it still doesn't seem to help much. He has a wheel, a fuck ton of sticks I place around, 2 houses, a rope, a paper ball and toilet paper tubes. Any ideas of anything else I could use to distract him? My vet gave me vetropolycin for the eyes, but he wiggles like fuck to get it on and I don't always get it on him well.

>>2018538
How much time can you devote once you get home?

A senior (as in, older than 7) cat may do well but you do have to spend time with it when you get home.

>>2018245
Is it an indoor cat? If so, look within a couple homes from your house. Most lost indoor cats are found very close to home, just hiding. Under decks and porches is a favorite. If she knows a certain sound, like a can opener or bells or a shaking treat bag, use that when you look for her. Put her (preferably dirty) litter box outside, and a live trap with her favorite food or cat food in it (prepare to catch animals that aren't your cat). Put up signs in your area, and in stores by your area (remember to take them down once you found her) and put signs up in local vet offices and animals shelters/rescues. Posts on social media, like facebook and twitter, and maybe on some websites or apps. Keep checking the stray section of your shelter often for her. You could also try to go searching at night and bring a flashlight, and try to catch her reflecting eyes in the light, but that could be dangerous because of wild animals.
>>
>>2017862
I have a water fountain for my cats because they still refuse all and any wet food I buy. I do notice they drink more often, and they are never dehydrated anymore. I was worried they would be scared of the flowing water or noise, but it doesn't ripple much and it is very quite. I have a cat mate pet fountain, got it on sale for $20. I can't hear it at all. You would have to keep on top of the water level, or it will gurgle and whizz and I'm assuming you will burn the motor out if it was left to run without any water in it. It's really only good for a cat or a small dog; anything bigger I would worry they would decimate the water in one sitting and maybe burn out the motor. Just like any other water dish, you do need to clean it out regularly. With water fountains, also make sure the holes leading to the filtration isn't clogged with food or hair. I also swear they cool the water, too. That shit is ice cold in the summer.
>>
Is there a term for this kind of farm?

I dunno if it counts as nature or not, but I didn't know where else to ask.
>>
>>2019580
Paddy fields?
>>
>>2019580
>>2019581
Yeah, rice paddies.
>>
>>2018538
snakes can be left alone for days at a time, and only then to check for poop + top up their water. They only need to be fed once every week or two depending on the species
>>
File: rhynchophorus-ferrugineus.jpg (19 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
rhynchophorus-ferrugineus.jpg
19 KB, 400x271
Do they bite?
>>
>>2019583
A snake sounds really cool, thing is that my girlfriend probably wouldn't be too open on the idea.
Are there any really small snakes out there? Like something that would get to like a foot long max fully grown and docile?
>>
>>2019606
none that are available in the pet trade.

a male garter snake is probably among the smallest frequently kept snakes
>>
>>2019609
I see
Are other lizards fairly low maintenance?
Like a Bearded Dragon or Geckos?
>>
When did bugguy get banned? Anyone have a link to the thread?
>>
>>2019597
No, weevils don't bite.
>>
Getting a new dog right before new years. She'll be 9 week. What should I do about fireworks? Everyone around us will be lighting up.
>>
Is it a good idea to house your bird in the same room you spend most of your time in/sleep in?
>>
>>2019907
AAAAAHHHH Don't say the b word
>>
>>2017774
An is the new /b/ ima invite btarda
>>
>>2020131
Caged in the same room, I mean.
>>
>>2020076
Just don't worry about it, the dog will react how it reacts, don't make a fuss just comfort it and distract it and it'll think fireworks are just normal shit at your house. I've never had a reactive dog (had about ten, all different breeds) I think it's about te first few times they hear them, if you make them a little cuddle fort and buy them a hug vest they're gunna be like wtf, if you act like it's normal, it'll take the ques from you... Also wtf 9 weeks!? Don't you know your dog will turn into a fucking pumpkin at midnight if it isn't with it's mother until it's 28 monts old!?!
>>
>>2019611
Sure. Leopard geckos, African fat tails. Those get to about 10 inches long as adults. Then there are arboreal geckos like crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, day geckos. The arboreals aren't quite as easy to hold though.

Other small snakes include Kenyan sand boa (18"-30"), rosy boa (24"-32"), western hognose.
>>
>>2020248
>>2020248
*Rosy boa should say 24"-36".

Hogmose vary the most between sex. Males can be tiny; 16"-24". Females over 30".
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I found this vertebrae on the beach one day. Any idea what it's from? Southern California and I have pictures from different angles, sorry about the shitty lighting.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2020275
From the side.
>>
I have a small dog who's eaten a bunch of shrimp tails and clearly isn't feeling well. Stool is watery and weird. Gonna take her to the vet on Monday but I'm freaking out.
>>
How do you stop your doggy from grabbing stuff around the house and chewing it? Like broom handles or shoes ect? She also has toys she chews on but still likes to go for other stuff. She is walked and exercised regularly and is about 9 months old.
>>
>>2020275
seal? They die all over the place
>>
>>2020291
could be. i can see the channel islands from the beach and i'm pretty sure great whites frequent that area, could be a shark or even orca attack victim.
>>
File: thoracic vert.jpg (3 MB, 3777x2200) Image search: [Google]
thoracic vert.jpg
3 MB, 3777x2200
>>2020275
I'm no expert on mammals, but if I had to guess I'd say it looks human.

doesn't match anything on a seal or dolphin.
>>
>>2020275
>>2020316
looks like cats have similar thoracic verts as well. That would fit the size better.
>>
>>2020316
>it looks human
Scariest fucking thing I've ever heard. I'd like to get confirmation before I call the fucking cops.
>>
>>2020323
the size and the curvature of the centrum have me leaning more towards cat or some similar smallish terrestrial mammal.

others here probably know more about mammal vertebrae than I do though.
>>
it's a fucking goat or deer or something.
>>
My dog barks whenever people show affection to eachother (eg hugging, kissing), and this doesn't seem too uncommon for dogs. Why do they do it?

The only thing I can think of with my dog is that hugging/kissing usually happens when people are saying goodbye to eachother so he associates it with that; he gets very anxious when people leave.
>>
>>2020373
My dog always seems to be jealous about it. He barks and then tries to get in some rubbing against you to try and get scratched and petted.
>>
I heard SBT makes poor watchdogs since they tend to like humans in general, is this true? Was thinking of getting a smaller dog to keep me company and who could warn me if anyone was breaking in during the night
>>
cat has an awful smell coming from the right ear despite no crust or dirt inside. vet?
>>
Anyone familiar with good cheap(healthy, and doesn't need much food) watchdogs?
>>
File: IMG_20151221_090028472.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_090028472.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
What is this? I found it in my school today and i became intrigued. I stared at him wandering through the hallway for about 20 minutes until someone came and killed it.
>>
>>2018245
>lost kitty bitty

You need to call out to her, but ONLY call out for her in a small area, like your own yard. BE LOUD! But DO NOT run all over the neighborhood calling out for her, that will confuse ther shit out of your cat.

You calling out for them is like a homing beacon for them to follow, cats won't break from their hiding spots until they feel totally safe again OR hunger drives them out. You want her to have a good idea what direction to head. I did this with my bitty boy and even though he got lost while I was on vacation in a new town with him, he found me again.

tl;dr call out for you cat, but only do so in a small area so the cat has a sense of what direction to head to when she finally breaks from her hiding spot. BE LOUD AS FUCK, and call for them REGULARLY, like do a bunch of calls every 2 hours at least.

You can also leave some food out, but that might attract other strays that will spook your kitty.

There are pet finding "detectives" that really work and can be the difference between a lost and a found kitty bitty.

I hope you find your girly, anon.
>>
>>2019580
Terraced farm, rice paddies DO NOT have to be stepped.
>>
>>2017764
Fuck
>>
>>2018351
>high carb content
Motherfucker, who says all dry food HAS to be bad? Morons. It is definitely better for their teeth, and gravy wet food is the worst for too much carbs anyhow.

Check your information.
>>
>>2022003
just ignore them.
recent research indicates most dogs are better at digesting carbs than humans are.

an intelligent person would quickly deduce that dogs evolved to eat carbs. There's no real point in arguing with unintelligent people.
>>
>>2017924
Rabbits need to come in pairs, it'll be a little bit more work, but it won't kill your one rabbit from depression.
>>
>>2022007
But we are talking about cat food.
>>
>>2022008
This anon is correct.

I believe the same is true for ferrets, cats, and most dogs. Basically, if you have a busy life and are only with your pet when you are home, you need to keep them in pairs.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
>>
>>2022016
True for african grey parrots for sure.
>>
File: 1450755844479.jpg (140 KB, 820x554) Image search: [Google]
1450755844479.jpg
140 KB, 820x554
>>2020275
>>
I am planning to get a free rescue dog because I have a really shit budget at the moment, anyone know the estimate of food costs for a year? he's a labrador/rottweiler mix and weighs about 40 kilo.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.