[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Puppy biting.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Fucking how do I manage this?
>tried redirecting
>tried lip pinching
>tried No and Leave It and sudden obedience training
>Tried fingers down throat
>Currently trying Timeouts.

She just gets to a manic state sometimes where she just endlessly tries to attack feet and hands and won't stop for anything.
I don't want to smack her or spray her or something but argh... I know it's a aerially just a phase too, just hard.
>>
File: dawson-cry-face.jpg.jpg (16 KB, 620x309) Image search: [Google]
dawson-cry-face.jpg.jpg
16 KB, 620x309
>>2015590
>>
>>2015590
Other than that.
>>
Assuming it's not because of lack of bite inhibition (if it is, I can't help you. I have a year old cat that still fucks me up because it left it's mom and siblings too soon) I would say get him a bunch of different chews. Antlers, bones, ropes, doggy teethers, whatever, and see if he likes those any better than your hand. If not, the dog trainer I trained under would fucking screech when a dog would bite or scratch her to 'train' the dog that it's not ok. I'll be honest, I've yet to see that work and it just sets off my anxiety, but it's worth a shot. Since the chew object is you, you could also use a deterrent like a squirt bottle and squirt him when he gets rough, just to get him off of you. Don't try this for anything else, though, because the dog will learn it's ok to chew on something when you aren't around. Of course, doing things unnecessary that would cause him to bite (like rough housing and hand playing) should simply cease.

I would say a mixture of distraction (water bottle), redirection and getting him to calm down via training should all be used whenever he bites. This will last throughout teething stage. Good luck
>>
What is that, a border collie?
It's what they do.
What worked for mine was to immediately stop all interaction, and leave it alone for a few minutes.
Be consistent, even if you are literally having to leave after a second.
You want it to learn that teeth on skin means that the games end and is no fun.
If it's just a flurry or mouthing and nipping and chasing appendages, it sounds like puppy is over tired. Bring it to its playpen/crate/room/bed with a chewie (stuffed Kong/bully stick/whatever) and let it calm down and nap.

Keep at it, mine didn't stop until he was 5 - 6 months. It's what puppies do, and BCs seem to really go nuts about it when they are overtired or overstimulated.
>>
>>2015585
You're the cunt that bought it, it's a border collie pup... Did you even google the breed before you signed up? Do you even know how puppies play? Do you just want a load of random strangers to give you an excuse to hit a dog you can't control because you don't have the patience or discipline it takes to correctly raise a puppy?
What lines is it from, why do you have a bc?
>>
>>2015622
>What lines is it from

It's that cunt again.
>>
>>2015585
I had a puppy that would do this, out of nowhere hed go and attack hands and feet, and one time he bit me nice and hard and I backhanded him across the room. He never bit me or anyone else for the remainder of his life (he died at 8 months because of extremely fast acting kidney cancer and brain tumors).
>>
>>2015623
I've never said his before. I'm a new cunt. But if he had a bc from herding parents he fucked up
>>
>>2015608
>Just give up. Just throw your hands in the air. It's easy.
>>
>>2015585
I got a 4 month old border collie, she still bites the trouser leg and jacket sleeve and her lead, but she listens to 'leave it', even if she does go straight back to it she gets the idea it's pissing me off, mostly she bites when she's trying to tell me something (stop I'm gunna shit here) or I've wound her right up for some tug and then stopped.
Understand your dog. Also could have done the research before it became a problem/before you got a bc
>>
>>2015612

Alight. Problem with timeouts and shit is that I'm rarely alone with her.

>>2015622

It's not even technically my dog, bro. It's the family dog, it's not coming with me when I move out. They wanted it, I bought it. Already told them they were in way over their heads.
I have midday shift so I spend the mornings with her.
>>
>>2015632

Its just a nuisance. Its worse in the evening. She's usually quite affectionate in the morning.

She's 12 weeks old (in two days). I expected the teething thing and the need to bite, I wasn't really expecting her need to bite to require my hands and feet periodically.

And its only when she reaches the really hyper states. The states where she just tears ass around the room at 90mph and ignores her toys and any other distractions, vocal or visual.

Its worse on my Mother. She explicitly goes for her shoes and hands whenever she enters the room. Eventually calming down, mind you, and its never anger, just some sort of crazed playfulness. Not sure if its a "motherly" thing or a woman thing or something. Very specific aggression.
>>
>>2015647
Sounds like she's been sleeping all day and has too much pent up energy. Play with her more, don't expect her to immediately understand that it's bad, just be consistent, especially when she finally calms down.
>>
>>2015674

I play with her practically all morning (3-4 hours) before work and usually an hour or two at night. I've been pretty much devoting most of my free time to her.
She's kenneled for 4 hours until someone else gets home.
if I need to do more vigorous play then so be it I guess. For the harder play I usually make her do laps around me, chasing her favorite toy. Throw in a leg for her to jump over too.

It'd be excellent to actually get her out of the house, but gotta wait for her last vaccine.
>>
>>2015647
Sounds like typical puppy behavior, the infamous "witching hour" where they go nuts and turn into a Tasmanian devil.
With BCs, it's often more intense, as they are very easily overstimulated and have instincts to chase, herd, and grip moving objects (like feet).
Like I said, everyone needs to remove themselves from the situation so the puppy learns that obnoxious behavior means the fun stops, and can calm herself down.
If you can't do time outs, all you have to do is stand still, fold your arms up and be boring. Only engage when she is calm (or at least not biting or having the zoomies). Reprimanding during this time, especially physically, will just rile them up all the more.

It's important for BCs to learn to be calm, and this is the starting point. If you don't lay the foundations now, you're gonna be in for a hell of a time when she's coordinated, has more energy, and enters her adolescent phase.

Also Protip:
They do not require any more physical exercise than other, typical fit breeds. Exercising her obscene amounts or giving her constant attention will only net you a dog with a large energy pool that will require all that and more every day. instead, work her brain, and teach her to settle and enjoy her own company when nothing is happening.

http://speakingofdogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SOD_February2015_AskTheTrainer.pdf
>>
>>2015585
Do you play with the dog? Does it have toys? When its grown are you comitted to exercising a border collie every day?
>>
>>2015708
Yes. I look forward to the day I can bring her outside and entertain her in the nearby fields.
Despite really shitty winter weather.
And like I said, I play with her at least a couple hours in the morning and a couple at night. And I'm not the only one that gives her this attention so she gets even more than that from other people.

>>2015706
Thanks. I have the house to myself today, so I'll see about doing these and some other recommendations.
I'm not really worried. She's a pretty great little puppy besides the crazy hours.
>>
>>2015585
>Puppy got toys and plays with them and people and dogs a lot.
>Starts teething.
>Keeps at it on toys.
>Suddenly switches to furniture and random shit lying on the ground outside.
Goddamnit pup.
>>
>>2018032

Needs more resistance.
>>
>>2018032
Get a play pen.

Confinement when people aren't there to monitor the puppy is really the only option.
>>
File: IMG_0040.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0040.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2018032

I feel really lucky in saying that she doesn't chew up furniture yet.

She does like to pull shit off a nearby shelf though. Pulled down a roll of paper towels earlier today and shredded a single paper, luckily. Might have to start clearing it.
She's gotten more manic this week. I had read up that Week 12/13 is the big psycho week for puppies usually, when they're at their most manic stages. It shows.
I've started putting her in her kennel to nap when she gets like that with her favorite kong. Most of the time, it actually seems to work. She doesn't even whine sometimes and dozes right off.

It can be a real bitch though when I need to do the ignore and leave-room inhibitions, she'll go for the feet while I try to walk away and none of her toys grab her attention.
I'll survive.
>>
File: 1450194475413.jpg (48 KB, 475x484) Image search: [Google]
1450194475413.jpg
48 KB, 475x484
>>2015585
Woah op puppies play by biting who would have guessed?
>>
>>2015585

I trained my puppy not to bite by holding her mouth closed every time she bit me, and saying "no bite" several times. If she bites, hold it for a while, until you can tell its driving her crazy that her mouth is being held shut. If she bites again, hold it closed again.

Be gentle though. Don't squeeze her mouth shut, just gently restrain her. It might take a few days, but your dog will learn quick that biting means it loses freedom of motion temporarily, and it will stop. The key to training a dog is to be patient.
>>
File: Snapchat-3367639213308220835.jpg (444 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3367639213308220835.jpg
444 KB, 1080x1776
>>2018262
>>2015585
Your dog is a cute
>>
what kind of puppies can i get that wont bite me
>>
>>2018318
Dead ones.
>>
>>2018321
not true, my german shepard learned fairly quickly not to bite people. At first I was letting him be, because he was just a puppy and didn't know what he was doing. But as he grew bigger, his bite was getting seriously strong, so I had to do something.
I just backhanded him a couple of times - not too strong of course - and told him "gently". For a month I reminded him with that word every time I went near his mouth (giving him treats,toys and such) and it worked. But if I forgot, he did bite me, not intentionally, but because he was being playfuly/silly. But after I think like another two months he automatically took away stuff from your hands so softly he wouldn't have a broken freshly laid egg.
>>
>Tried fingers down throat
What the fuck, OP. What a horrible idea.

This is what you need to do:>>2015612
>>2015706
>>
>>2018385
so glad I don't give a fuck about thsi dumb ass series

>all of my retarded friends going nuts over midnight premiers over childrens fiction

Its ridiculous the hype this drivel gets. Its not even from the original creators, its a soulless CGI cash grab from JJ Abrams and fucking Disney.
>>
>Ctrl+f "pepper"
>0 results

Fucking pussies
>>
Scream OW OW real loud to startle it and engage eye contact, because dogs understand a yelp of "too rough for play" naturally
>>
>>2018403
This
>>
>>2018034
Like, harder new toys? It has been a while since we got her new toys, after all.

>>2018208
Yeah, she's going to stay with me at all times now, like when we got her and she needed to go out real often. It's just that like 3 days ago, I could trust her alone anywhere in the house, she'd play with her toys, nap in her bed or on mine, and sometimes go look out the window, but now, nope.
And shit, she also started biting harder when playing. Not much, but she still was way more careful before. She's also... I don't know, irritable? She barks after toys that get away from her a lot more. She started barking outside too, goddamn.

>>2018262
Well she's nearly 5 months, so uh.
Didn't feel her psychotic at 12/13 weeks either. But then at that age, an older dog had really warmed up to her and they've been playing together a lot, so maybe she just tired herself playing and I didn't feel it pass.
>>
Op is this pup from working lines?
Can you post a kennel name?
>>
>>2018323
I don't know anon, I've met many a GSD that was mouthy as fuck

>>2018403
I know a self-proclaimed trainer that did that, with relatively poor results. Not sure if I believe this works very well with most dogs.

>>2018522
Why bother starting this shit
>>
>>2018574
Starting what shit? I think it is a valid question to ask, especially when the pup in question is a Border Collie.
>>
>>2015585
just smack it. it's not that hard
>>
>>2018403
9/11 top banter
>>
>>2018581
Sorry anon, it just usually brings in the byb/reputable breeder/animal shelter bull shit. I was thinking it was bait for bigger bait
>>
>>2018597
Well, if the pup did come from s BYB that would be valuable info. Not enough socialization and getting rid of pups too young would absolutely effect the development of the pup. Especially ehen it comes to inappropriate mouthing and biting.
>>
>>2018369

Yeah, thats what I've been doing for the last few days.

The leave-alone thing hasn't worked so far but I'll keep at it.

The kennel naptime is definitely working when she goes berserk though. Gave her a forced nap this morning when she started going super nuts. Put up a fight trying to get her in a little bit.
5 minutes later she was out like a light.

An hour later I let her out and she was calm and collected, spent the next couple hours on my lap on the floor chewing on her Cow Dick sticks.

>>2018522
Got her from a local petstore. She was a window puppy along with the other 6 of her litter. Last of two left when we got there.
Wasn't a breeder or anything as far as I know.

>>2018403
This doesn't work for me at all. Partially because I have a really deep voice and reaching high puppy pitches is impossible.
>>
>>2018677
>using kennel as punishment

Hope that doesn't bite you in the ass.
>>
>>2018683

Its not really intended as punishment.
I've been reading up on over-stimulation and over-tiredness leading to crazed behavior. She had been awake for 4 hours before she was kenelled, I'd say thats a good timing for a nap.

Plus I filled her kong with her favorite weirdass goo spray, and I use a positive voice.
>>
>>2018688
just smack her or grab her scruff for fucks sake m8. don't worry, you'll only have to do once or twice.
don't be such a whiny cunt
>>
>>2018677
>local petstore. She was a window puppy along with the other 6 of her litter. Last of two left when we got there.
>Wasn't a breeder or anything as far as I know.
literally BYB. just a BYB who had a middleman who sold to a petstore.

regardless, here might be why the forced naptime is working out: she's OVERstimulated at that point. which is fine, for a pup, as long as you keep reinforcing naptime. if she drops as soon as she's put in the crate, you can tell she was overstimulated.

as for nipping and biting and attacking your feet: whatever you do, be consistent. I did the "yelp, then ignore" thing that other people have mentioned in this thread, and it worked because I was consistent with my dog.

my mom has a shitty terrier who nipped all the time when he was a pup, and he never learned because she tried something new every time he bit her. sometimes it was a time out, sometimes it was ignoring, sometimes it was a swat on the butt, etc., but she was never consistent and so he never learned.
>>
>>2018700

It wouldn't work when she's in that state anyways.
Besides that I don't want to physically punish her just because she doesn't understand when she's taking it too far.

She will be going to a puppy socializing thing next week though, I think that might help.
>>
>>2018732

Yeah, I do need to do something consistent. Its just hard knowing if something works or not because she doesn't really respond to anything regardless right now unless she's in a not-crazy state, but even then, its hard to tell.

I think the room-leaving is working from the standpoint that she'll lay on the floor next to the gate and look depressed for a while before going off to entertain herself. But its probably not the best way to do this since it always requires getting up which just leads to nippiness.

The other problem is that my other family members probably aren't being consistent either. I just gotta figure this shit out. Its my first time with a pup.
>>
>>2018735

Just an update:

Spent this morning doing more of the room-leaving stuff.

I hopped over the gate when she started getting too rough, crossed my arms and stared at her while repeating "No bites".
After a short while she'd lay down and stare at me all sad like.

After crossing the gate she'd USUALLY jut go back to trying to bite my feet (which lead me to just go back over the gate again). But a couple times she would just lay there and wag her tail and wait for me to pet her.

Is that like a sign that this might be affecting her behavior maybe? Its the closest thing to real results I've gotten so far, besides the occasional forced naptimes.
>>
>>2015626
Why is that? Pls explain
>>
>>2019097
Dogs from working lines from parents or grandparents who were very recently used in actual herding, whether in the field or in competitions, are more likely to be a lot more energetic than your pet counterparts that have been bred for generations for the sake of being bred.

http://dogwellnet.com/content/health-and-breeding/breeding/breeding-for-health/breeding-for-behavior/excerpts-from-dog-breeds-and-their-behavior-r290/

>>2019086
Ignoring is a huge diss to dogs, especially playful ones that really want attention. You can try to turn your back to her and say nothing at all, so then she won't even get the satisfaction of being acknowledged.
>>
>>2015585
She's a puppy. That's what puppies do. She'll grow out of it. Enjoy her youthful energy the whole six months it lasts.
>>
>>2019559

Bites here and there aren't really a problem to me.
But I'm more concerned about her hurting herself at this point.

She broke off about a millimeter of one of her baby canine teeth when she bit into my mother's boot and poked the tendon in her heel, tooth got caught in the shoe.

Luckily it didn't end up getting infected, and the nerve receded.

>>2019137
>You can try to turn your back to her and say nothing at all

Yeah, that seems to be even more effective. She whines more.

In other news: Holy shit this dog learns tricks fast. Already taught her to sit, rollover, lay down and give me her paw.
>>
>>2019643

You need to give her shit to chew. Rubber toys/logs etc
>>
>>2019656

She's got plenty of shit to chew on. Soft-digest rawhides, Cow Dick sticks, rubber squeakies, tugropes, kongs and so on.

She'd rather bite feet whenever I'm up and about though. Its normal behavior for the species.
>>
Just be diligent. I've had mine for a few months and she is barely biting at all now. She did it less when she got fixed.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.