[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For animals working to pull a heavy load, say a team of buffalos,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 6094675869_76bfd9a73e_b[1].jpg (292 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
6094675869_76bfd9a73e_b[1].jpg
292 KB, 800x600
For animals working to pull a heavy load, say a team of buffalos, oxens, horses or dogs...Do people need to train them to work together? Or do they just hitch them onto the load and make them follow a leader?
>>
They don't really fight with each other, oxen especially because oxen usually refers to castrated bulls. These animals have been raised around each other and their environment so they're pretty much just used to everything.

How much training they get is sort of a geographical thing but in general they are trained to respond to signals, be it verbally or physically(poles, whips, tugging a certain way on a rope, etc). It would be extremely dangerous to just take a random ox/horse/etc and strap them up if they've had zero training.

They don't really 'follow' the leader. A pair of oxen are connected by a yorke, one can't move without the other. Two oxen are usually good enough to pull just about anything that needs pulling but yeah, I suppose if you have multiple pairs in single file then yes, the ones from behind would have to follow what the ones in the front are doing.
>>
>>2011560
*yoke
>>
I don't know anything about it, but ya it totally takes a lot of training for the critters and being a teamster for more than two is a pretty skilled job. You don't just hitch something up that has never seen a wagon before.
>>
>>2011560
Say, if the load is a huge-ass road roller, would they need to be trained to handle the inertial of moving and slowing down as well?
>>
>>2011564
I imagine that this is already what they are trained for. You need them to stop and go, stop and go and speed/slow down anyway. Unless I'm not quite understanding the question.
>>
>>2011565
>>2011563
I see. Thanks, anons.
>>
>>2011559
Yes, oxen are specially trained. The or on the left is always on the left and the in on the right is always on the right. If one of your oxen dies you have to replace him, a left oxen does not do well being switched to a right oxen.
>>
>>2013676
It's not an oxen trained to pull in a team.
>>
>>2013651
>The or on the left is always on the left and the in on the right is always on the right. If one of your oxen dies you have to replace him, a left oxen does not do well being switched to a right oxen
Seriously?
>>
>>2014037
Yes.
>>
>>2014038
How comes?
>>
>>2014092
A left hand oxen is trained to one set of commands, the right side is trained to another set of commands.
>>
>>2014248
Pls don't do this to me anon.
>>
>>2014266
What?
If you have something to say, then say it.
>>
>>2014267
I don't know if you're trolling me or what.
>>
>>2014272
I'm not. But if you can only express your thoughts is short, single sentences I'm done here. You are like a four year old that answers everything with "why".
>>
>>2014274
That's because I know nothing about these things. If you have any insight, just spit it out.
>>
I love this board
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.