[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright guys tell me your opinion about my current situation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: mosscreeksashermcdoodles3.jpg (1 MB, 1441x1465) Image search: [Google]
mosscreeksashermcdoodles3.jpg
1 MB, 1441x1465
Alright guys tell me your opinion about my current situation.

>have kid young
>now 40
>son is 18
>live in a rual area with a small house and a huge gated yard
>have 2 dogs and 2 cats
>dogs are both mini poodles and cats are small (don't know anything about cat breeds)
>never tried to train are dogs before
>son now wants a third dog and wants to start training it from day one
>wants it to be his dog and to be 100% responsible for it
>say it will help him become more mature
>wants a standard goldendoodle
>look online for prices
>their expensive as fuck

Should i get him this dog?
I'm not sure if we can handle another dog.
any advice?
>>
There's no reason for him to get a brand new dog when you have two untrained already. Make him take responsibility for them and if you see an improvement in their behaviour consider getting a new one? Or make him get a job and pay for all pet expenses himself
>>
>>2168314
One of are dogs is 13 and one is 4 so maybe he could train the four year old.
>>
>train are dogs
>their expensive
>one of are dogs
Whew lad that's some ignorant spelling
>>
>>2168317
Gotta train both. Otherwise they'll reinforce each other's bad habits. It isn't that big of a deal to train an old dog unless it's blind and deaf.
>>
>>2168328
>Whew lad
Now that's some ignorant spelling
>>
>son is 18
>wants his dad to buy him a puppy

Why can't he get his own dog?
>>
>>2168346
doesn't have a job.
he's autistic and has lots of depression and anxiety.
he may never get a job.
>>
if you cant have a job you should not have a dog
>>
you're the son and you want the dog to fuck it
>>
>>2168350
This.

Also when I really wanted a dog. I was motivated enough to work for it and buy it myself. I was around your sons age. I also bought group-training classes for the puppy myself, bought the dogs food, provided the vet care. And, I am severely schizophrenic and have depression. Don't underestimate mentally ill or challenged people. Most extremely austistic people can still do janitorial work. Encourage him to get a job with dogs (which is what I work, I managed to get two dog jobs on my own). And tell him if he really wants it he can save up himself. If he can't, he does NOT want it. Trust me on this one.
>>
>>2168363
sounds fair.
>>
He will take care of it well for like a week and then get bored. He is 18. Yeah he's young but he too damn old to use that learn responsibility shit, especially since you already have dogs.

Or if you must, make him prove he can take care of it properly and have that 'responsibility' by taking care and training the other two. You can still train an old dog. Not always perfect but you can always make progress.
Also make him pay for his own expensive ass dog.
>>
>>2168363
Oh and the dog I wanted was 1500. the vet care (initial vaccines, preventative dewormer, flea/heartworm preventative), food, toys, crate, and puppy training classes(essential tool for puppy socialization), meat chews (to prevent teething and chewing on everything that was inappropriate), bed amounted to something like an extra 700-1000. So you're gonna pay for all that plus whatever the goldendoodle is worth. Why do that to yourself? Let him know the magnitude of what he is asking. Puppies are fucking expensive and if you don't spend on the preventative stuff like baby gates, chews and toys you will regret it when the dog gets bored and chews on stuff. Can you really trust someone too depressed to work to house train a puppy? Its 4 months of work until the puppy develops full bladder and bowel control. You gotta be consistent. Then the chewing and teething, teaching the puppy bite inhibition, self-control... its hard work. Especially with goldendoodles, they have a lot of energy and any doodle can become a problem dog really quick. Oh and they will need to be brushed daily and possibly given hair cuts. The brushing requires dilligence and the haircuts require money. So... Anyway. Think hard. You don't want to end up with your son's problem dog and spend lots of money on it if it turns out he doesn't want it. The only way to tell is to see if he can work for it himself cos only then will he realize what he's getting himself into.
>>
If you're not sure you can take care of the dog if he doesn't, you shouldn't get him the dog. If you do decide you're in an okay place to take care of the dog, go for it. There's no reason he needs the expensive goldendoodle though- try getting a mutt puppy off CL instead, or try a shelter. You should never get a dog for a child to test their maturity though, so only get one if you're willing to take care of it if he fails.
>>
>>2168313
Get a fucking shelter dog, they need love more than anything.
>>
>>2168349
I'm autistic and have depression and anxiety along with other mental illnesses and am disabled and I still got a job, am going to college, and take care of my cat

People will live up to your expectations, so if you expect your son to be dependent on you be will. I started out volunteering at the local ASPCA to get comfortable socializing and to get experience since my autism makes it easier for me to connect with animals than people. Work with your son to find a job and train your current dogs so he can build responsibility as well. Don't underestimate disabled people; plenty of disabled and mentally ill/disordered people live normal and successful lives
>>
File: 1465910376468.jpg (16 KB, 573x609) Image search: [Google]
1465910376468.jpg
16 KB, 573x609
>>2168313
>have kid young
>22 years old
that's not young
>>
>>2168313
I take it he's not going away to college?
>>
38 year old with no kids but it sounds like you will be taking care of another dog. I would base it on how much he helps with existing dogs. or just wait until one of your dogs dies. say there is no more dog room.
>>
>>2168349
my brother is moderate to severely autistic, much lower functioning than most other autistic people I've met, and he has a job. He works at Mariano's as a dishwasher, I'm fairly sure they work with special needs groups to help hire them, if that's any help at all.

I think it's a good idea to do this for your son, but don't just straight-up buy a dog. It'll help your son's confidence and motivation if he at least helps to pay for it (half and half maybe?).
>>
First off, he needs to be buying his own damn dog. I know it's hard for an autist, but even my severely autistic cousin could shelve shit at a supermarket.

Second, designer dogs are just expensive mutts for idiots. If he wants a mutt, tell him to get one from a shelter or rescue. It'll reduce the cost greatly, and they need love. Goldendoodles aren't bad mutts, but people severely overcharge for them because they have a silly name.
>>
File: 1264036373121.jpg (85 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1264036373121.jpg
85 KB, 500x371
>standard goldendoodle
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.