[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dogs & Envy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1460505554535.jpg (473 KB, 2000x2190) Image search: [Google]
1460505554535.jpg
473 KB, 2000x2190
Anyone know anything about this? I have 2 dogs, and only one of them is well-mannered enough to sleep in the bedroom at night. The other finds and eats dryer sheets, licks whatever body part of ours she can reach from the side of the bed, or starts trying to play rough with the 'good' dog that is trying to sleep. Nothing you can actually *punish* her for, just harmless mischief.

Will I be birthing a serial killer if I allow the 'good' one to sleep in the bedroom and not allow the other?

Don't get me wrong, the 'bad' one has her own strengths - she is the only one that can be left alone and not meltdown completely, and she won't bark like an asshole at every little noise not in line of sight, or start whining if she can't get to us.

Just ... strengths and weakness ...

TL;DR will a dog feel envy and act out if denied a privilege that another dog is given right in front of them?
>>
Yep. Recent study proved that dogs do feel jealousy when other dogs are afforded privileges that they are not.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/living/study-dogs-jealousy/

Tire out your silly doggy more before bedtime.
>>
>>2167588
In my experience with this exact tipic, denial of the privilege actually bad the not so good doggo be a good girl during bed time. So I just don't know for sure.
>>
File: 1453733684561.jpg (387 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
1453733684561.jpg
387 KB, 2656x1494
>>2167598

Thanks for the link. I read through it. It seems to suggest that at the very least, a dog's capacity for jealousy is the same as a 6 month old baby's. So I imagine the long-term effects of another dog being favored would be detrimental.

So I guess neither of them will get the bedroom. Poor pups. Oh well.

Thank you for answering.
>>
>>2167613
>So I guess neither of them will get the bedroom

>gets advice to tire out the more energetic dog before bedtime so she'll settle down more easily
>nah that sounds like work, better just make them both miserable
>>
crate train her and let her sleep crated in your room
>>
>>2167902
This.

I tried to type out this reply but got raped by autocorrect.

>Two doggos: good doggo and not-as-good doggo
>Good doggo goes under the covers, curls up, and peacefully sleeps the night
>Not as good one runs all around the house exploring, harassing the cats, playing, running around etc.
>Like OP, nothing you can really correct
>Can't exercise her because she is HW+ and got treatment a month ago (adopted her that way)
>Start crating her at night
>Do it for about 2 weeks
>Decide to see what happens when I don't crate her on a Friday night
>Curls up and sleeps peacefully like a good girl

I don't know if she saw the other dog sleeping on the bed and realized that is what she had to do to be part of the pack, or what, but crating her fixed the issue. She will still get up every now and then, so I usually give her 3 strikes before she spends the night in her crate.

I would definitely try crating her in your room. She might figure things out like my dog seemed to.
>>
Yes, dogs can get jealous, so she may be upset if she can't sleep in the room with you and your other dog can.

Instead of not allowing either dog to do so (which will likely upset the "good" dog more,) I suggest:

-Tiring the "bad" doggo out more before bed. Something that combines physical exercise and mental exercise is best--can be simply throwing a ball as a reward for obedience commands

-Crate train the "bad" doggo and have her sleep in the crate in your room at night. After a while of this, you can let her be in your room out of the crate. If she starts acting up, have her go back to her crate and calm down.

-If you don't want to use a crate, you could try just letting her in your room and if she's not behaving calmly, remove her from the room. Let her in after a few minutes, repeat. She will learn that calm behavior lets her stay in your room, and acting rowdy means she can't be in the room with you and other doggo.
>>
File: 1459673085155.jpg (301 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
1459673085155.jpg
301 KB, 1632x1224
>>2167902

>typical know-it-all presumptuous /an/ response made only for the sake of insult, argument, and condescension.

The behaviors have nothing to do with tiring out the dogs, who both get walked at night (because it's fucking hot outside). They are all low-energy, low-stimulation behaviors (and this is a very low-energy breed, of course). And the breed is nocturnal, which she never 100% corrected when being raised.

It's hard for someone to understand what a low-energy breed is without actually having one in their house. They do everything slowly, and exert as little energy as possible. They don't jump on people, or furniture, or tear around the house like an asshole. In exchange, they also don't like games such as fetch that require moving alot, and will not be winning any races or agility events. And, of course, they still require walks.

But the point is, what you're thinking the dog looks like at night is probably not correct. It's more like moping around, sulking.

>>2167971

She is crate trained and spent her first 8 months (pic) in the crate at night. We abandoned the crate because she is too big for a 48" crate. Leaving her in one is cruel because of how tight it is, and the biggest ones on the market are just a few inches bigger (and, really, we're pushing the bounds on what is reasonable to keep inside since we use 2 of them).

We have nothing against crates themselves, the dogs are just entirely too big for them. They're both a slender 120 pounds. Lean, just enormous frames. We call them boxcars, because they're sleek and long, easily able to put their paws on my shoulders while standing - and I'm 6' tall. I guess it might be hard to visualize.
>>
>>2168129
If the issue is not the dog needing to be tired out more before bed, and you cannot use a crate, you could still do this:

>>2168029
>If you don't want to use a crate, you could try just letting her in your room and if she's not behaving calmly, remove her from the room. Let her in after a few minutes, repeat. She will learn that calm behavior lets her stay in your room, and acting rowdy means she can't be in the room with you and other doggo.

That said, it is still possible that the behaviors you are describing are a result of not enough mental stimulation, even if she's getting enough physical exercise. She could be unable to settle down just because she's stressed, or her mind is too "awake" if you will. You could try offering her a puzzle toy or filled kong to keep her occupied at bed time, which might help with this.
>>
>>2167588
>eats dryer sheets
I am appalled.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.