[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When it's time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: FB_IMG_1467938580346.jpg (41 KB, 952x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467938580346.jpg
41 KB, 952x540
I posted earlier this week about Damon, who was having sudden pains. We got the results back.

Ass cancer.

Seriously though, a malignant tumor in his anal gland. I don't know if it has spread-I don't know that it matters. Even if it hasn't, ~2,000 for surgery is too high a price to pay for a 12 year old dog, even if I could come up with the money somehow.

Really, my question is what do I do now that he will never be better? How long do I wait before I put him down? Do I wait at all?
>>
Damn ur ugly
>>
File: FB_IMG_1468517859183.jpg (56 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468517859183.jpg
56 KB, 960x720
>>2167548
I know. Good thing your dad has bad taste
>>
File: FB_IMG_1468517866406.jpg (69 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468517866406.jpg
69 KB, 960x720
>>2167550
>>
>>2167546
Simple:
Keep him happy until you notice it's hard for him to live or he declines suddenly. He'll always be spirited, but his body won't. If he's in a bad state right now put him down. Your vet should've given you a suggestion or at least an estimate of time.

Also, start looking into having younger dogs.
>>
>>2167546
I'm sorry to hear that, anon. That is an unfortunate cost of adopting am older animal. You just don't have as much time with him.

What you do is you treasure every moment with him and make every day even more special. Make his life as wonderful as you can until it gets too painful for him to live, and then give him a humble, humane death.

You've given him the best years of his life. Now it's your job to make his twilight years just as good.
>>
>>2167546
I probably should've checked if that thread was still up before starting this one

>>2165075
>>
>>2167546
If you wanted to try and save him you could put up a gofundme or whatever that website is. Someone was trying to raise 6 grand for their stupid cat and people kept on donating until they had well over 25k.

Obviously you'd have to be pretty good at spreading it on social media, but if you think it's worth it I would do it.
>>
>>2167667
That seems insane to me, but maybe I'm just a poor fag and not a social media whore.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet it has spread beyond his gland. Even if it hasn't, removing a gland is notoriously troublesome due to the likelihood for infection in that area. I wouldn't put him through that just to make myself feel better for a little while.
>>
>>2167671
It is insane. I wonder what those people did with all of that extra cash. Just thought I'd throw it out there, it's not worth it if he will just suffer anyway.
>>
It's better to put him to sleep early than it is to put him to sleep late. For both your sakes. You don't want him to suffer and you don't want to have to deal with waking up and finding a dead dog.

If he's mostly good now that's fine, but once the question starts nagging on you whether it's time or not...it probably is.
>>
>>2167701
As sone one who has a cat that is getting near time, coming home to a dead cat is a definite fear.
>>
>>2167701
Yeah but it's hard to tell exactly how much he's suffering
>>
>>2167704
I have this fear as well. My cat has had kidney disease for some time, and I just got back from the vet today to learn that his stomach wall is thicker than it should be, they took some samples of it and sent it out but with his age (18) they really only think that it's a tumor.

I dread coming home or waking up to my little guy being gone, but at the same time I kind of hope he goes that way. He hates the vet more than anything, I don't think I could stand his last moments being so stressful. I'd rather he feel safe and secure in his home when he goes but I don't want him to suffer when he doesn't need to.

People always say that you just sort of know when your pet is ready to go. That they seem like they lost that spark in there eye, or something. I don't know if it's true or not, but I'm at least thankful that my little guy is still real active and he's still got that same look in his eyes that he had when he was a kitten.
>>
>>2168403
My dude has kidney disease too. I adopted him as an old man, and his hind legs have never worked right. I think he was abused. And every day I just see him having just a slightly harder time getting around. The vet said his kidneys are functioning at 30% and his hind legs are almost completely atrophied. Once I came home to shit all over the floor and he was dragging himself. I was freaking out, but then I helped him up and it was like nothing happened. He'said been fine since that day...

I am always so worried he won't greet me at the door when I walk in with his little silent meow. Or I will find him dragging himself to the door to try to say hello.

And I know what you mean too. He is still his same old self. He hasn't lost a beat. He still loves cuddles and food and his favorite cat tree. If you didn't know, you'd probably think he has just an old cat.
>>
>>2168407
It's just kind of this idea that it's still them there, you know? Until I look at my guy's face and I don't see that little kitten looking back at me, I'll have hope.

I'd read on a blog by this woman that had three cats with various progressions of kidney disease. She said that talking to their cat, not the baby talk stuff I'm sure so many people do, but really speaking to them helped her know when it was time. That her cat let her know that he was ready.

I've started doing that, but mostly the only answer I get back that he wants to be on the floor, he's got a patrol to do.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.