[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are bones okay for dogs, /an/? I've tried searching and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: rumbles.jpg (238 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
rumbles.jpg
238 KB, 960x1280
Are bones okay for dogs, /an/?

I've tried searching and searching for a proper answer, but opinions seem split. I've heard "all bones are fine since splintering is rare", "never small bones but huge bones are safe", "only pork or beef bones and only raw", "never pork bones", and "never ever feed any bones whatsoever". It seems like raw bones might be a bit safer, since there's not much of a chance of splintering...? I got a natural pork femur bone specifically packaged as a dog chew, and gave it to this handsome guy, and he ADORED it but within 5 minutes he'd bitten off one of the chunky ends. I took it away from him since it was a little too small and I was worried he'd swallow and choke on it. The rest of the bone seems fine, still greasy and meaty and not splintered at all even where it broke off, but I'm worried about giving him the rest. Thoughts?
>>
>>2167533
Just beef and pork.
Never chicken.
T bones are the hardest.
Use your brain to figure out if the bone will splinter.
>>
>>2167536
>>2167536
I heat chicken is okay but only when it's raw?
>>
>>2167536
do you generally want the hardest bones possible? I've heard people say soft bones are safer since they won't splinter and can be digested easily.
>>
File: bones1.jpg (33 KB, 440x298) Image search: [Google]
bones1.jpg
33 KB, 440x298
>>2167536

Wrong. All bones have the potential to splinter - raw or cooked.

All bones have the potential for impaction and perforating the gut. The risk is not worth it.
>>
>>2167547

Harder bones are perfect for chipping dog's teeth.
>>
>Dogs have been chewing bones for centuries
>Suddenly you cannot do it
Holy fuck why is everyone on this board so God damn stupid?
>>
>>2167565
exactly my thought.

you can throw the rest of you supper to your dog and he will lick those bones clean. People are retarded and scared of everything. Thinking animals cannot be allowed near objects because they could choke on it? wtf, they know what they put in their mouth the same way as you do, they won't eat rocks just for fun.
>>
Cooked bones will splinter. Raw bones that are fatty/meaty still are best :)
>>
>>2167572
Tbh, most wolfs (dog ancestors) aren't used to eating the same animals we do, for example chicken. So while its fine to give them bones you might need to take some precautions. A puppy is more likely to get damaged by chicken bone splinters than an adult dog, there you wouldn't give bones to a puppy. I give my doggos chicken bones and they do fine (chicken wing bones and drumsticks), as for puppies, I would only give them the cartilage of the bones.
>>
>>2167565

>Dogs have been chewing bones for centuries
> Dogs have died from chewing bones for centuries.

All you need to do is ask your local vet, I'm 100% sure he will have at least a few cases of bone impaction/perforation. Bones are downright dangerous and a dead dog waiting to happen.
>>
Raw bones, not cooked.
Limit bone consumption to less than 10% of diet.

rawfeddogs org/rawguide html

have fun
>>
>>2167572
And for centuries dog died before reaching their ten years.
I wonder why it's so much more common now?!
>>
>>2167600
>Believing jewinarians
>>
File: Google-doctor-mug-300x300.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Google-doctor-mug-300x300.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>2167656

Sure, I go to University for five years and you're more qualified on the matter for a five minute google search- lovely.
>>
Antlers are generally safe, right?
>>
Just based on personal experience, I don't give my dogs hooves or bones or antlers anymore. Just too many strange coughing and gagging fits for me to believe that it is safe. Sorry doggos.
>>
>>2167674
yeah I go straight to http://www.findzebra.com/ webmd/google is too weak senpai
>>
>>2167739
Same. I think it also depends on the dog. Some dogs will just go to town on it for ages and no matter how big the bone or chew is, it will wear it down. One of my dogs easily cracked and sloppered down hooves and would gag on even the tinest of pieces. The other dog chews only here and there.
Kinda like how some dogs just love eating rocks and others just don't. Depends on the dog. Replace them soon enough this shouldn't be a problem for bones and hooves.

Also wolves in the wild just don't chew 24/7 on the same bone or hoof for ages. They don't got time for that, and they forget about it/lose it before its too worn.
>>
>>2167688
people say they'll chip/crack dogs' teeth because of how hard they are. while I believe that, it hasn't happened to my dog so far. he loooooves antlers. buy one that's split the first time--they're cheaper and then when you buy a whole antler (they last way longer) your dog will have an easier time figuring out there's marrow inside.

I have one whole antler that's lasted almost a year and is still relatively unchanged, one split antler that lasted about a week before being whittled down to a choking hazard, and one large antler that had only a little marrow exposed that he's been working on since march or april and has made a noticeable dent in.
>>
>>2167572
When I first got my dog before we put a stop to it... she'd try to eat rocks for fun.. dogs are dumbed down wolves and cannot be left to their own devices
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.