[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally now feeling that I should have an animal to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 20160711_005521.jpg (2 MB, 2299x1957) Image search: [Google]
20160711_005521.jpg
2 MB, 2299x1957
I'm finally now feeling that I should have an animal to keep me company here in this suburb that i'm now living in aside from my plants, but it would have to be something completely fine with being confined to a very small space. I've thought in the past of having some kind of grasshoppers or similar orthoptera as pets to keep and breed within this old fish tank I have, what do you guys think about this? They wouldn't be able to be outside of the room in which I sleep in, so I guess they'd be loud as everloving fuck while i'm trying to sleep? Are there other types of relatively easily obtainable, moderately sized insects that are quiet as well as being fine with being cooped up into a tiny box? Are there quiet types of grasshopper/orthoptera?
>>
tarantulas/scorpions/mantis/centipedes/millipedes are cool and could live there
>>
>>2165348
I'm now thinking centipedes sound pretty cool, also I forgot to include that the dimensions of the box are 11.5 inches wide by 7.5 inches wide by 10 inches tall
>>
>>2165354
> Centipedes are known to be highly venomous, and often inject paralyzing venom.
>Centipedes are predominantly carnivorous.[4]

Eh well, maybe not then
>>
>>2165360
you'd only get a big swelling if you got bitten. but they're very fast. so just don't ever touch it and you're fine.
>>
I have a ton of millipedes that I got by accident.

They live in my potted houseplants--don't seem to be causing any problems, and they never leave the pots.
>>
>>2165376

Only thing is, it can be hard to see them because they sort of blend in with the compost/potting mix (which they seemingly eat as well as live in).
>>
File: roaches.jpg (71 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
roaches.jpg
71 KB, 500x350
>>2165338
Madagascar hissing roaches.
>>
>>2165368
The biggest thing would be the feeding, i'd much more prefer to just have something to feed grass and herbs and stuff

>>2165382
I'd be totally fine with the idea of these if they didn't apparently make a noise as the name implies
>>
Get an anole.
>>
File: Anoles_Cuba_2012-4-of-16.jpg (375 KB, 1787x1189) Image search: [Google]
Anoles_Cuba_2012-4-of-16.jpg
375 KB, 1787x1189
>>2165394
Noted
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
Also crabs.

>>2165387
Pretty sure they only hiss only if you piss them off.

>>2165396
10 gallons is crap for an anole, and they need special lighting and live food.
>>
>>2165410

Not for a single male.
>>
>>2165387
millipedes are a good option then if you dont want to feed it live things, they eat decomposing fruit/plants/veggies and I kept 6 together in a space that size, no noise, just leave them some fruit and leafs and water thats all
>>
File: redtailfairy.jpg (25 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
redtailfairy.jpg
25 KB, 275x183
>>2165338
This is too small for vertebrates, so consider something like stick insects, a spider, praying mantis, millipedes,..

You could also fill it with water and keep brine shrimps, fairy shrimps or triops in it
>>
>>2165643
S E A M O N K E Y S
>>
>>2165643
>vertebrates
You mean like fish and small frogs? Because I disagree.
>>
>>2165700
cool. it's still too small
>>
>>2165703
Disregard. I got mixed up and thought this was the thread about the 10 gallon.
>>
Op back here again, I just realized the absolute best thing to have in it is beneficial garden insects like ladybugs
>>
>>2166403
Post pics once you have it set up.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.