[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, rookie rabbit owner seeking advice and possible comfort
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1365562984761.jpg (38 KB, 960x528) Image search: [Google]
1365562984761.jpg
38 KB, 960x528
Hey /an/, rookie rabbit owner seeking advice and possible comfort in regard to how my vet is treating my bunny

Took advice from a previous /an/ thread and set up an appointment to neuter my new pal, as well as treat an ear infection I noticed, due to shaking his head, and one ear always dropped. Was given ear drops on first visit to establish new patient, and found out his liver enzymes were over double what they should have been when pre-op bloodwork was performed on the next. Was told to continue ear drops, and to give an oral med to help with the enzymes. Came back a few weeks later, and more blood work shows the enzymes went down a bit, but not nearly enough for surgery, and the ear infection has persisted with treatment for over six weeks now, with the doc ordering a special balm to rub in his ears, so I won't have deal with daily drops anymore. Also, the nurse / tech told me that the doc was going to consider a procedure for the liver issue, but had to think on it and give me a call later that night, with no follow up thus far, and no meds issued to help treat it.

I'm no rabbit expert, and I'm looking to find out if there are things I can do to assist my bunny in all this. One of the bills notes that they think it is coccidia, and that was when they handed the oral meds, which has me feeling uneasy that there wasn't any additional meds given out this time around, and the doc having to take time to consider a procedure for the elevated liver enzymes. My family keeps saying that my rabbit isn't going to live long if it's liver issues, and that I should put him down, but I don't see any real signs of him being in pain, since lots of binkies and grooming kisses when I let him run loose, as well as lots of high speed zigzags.
>>
>>2164820
I plan to either email or call the doc tomorrow and ask about things, and I'm trying to just learn as much as I can, to hopefully ask the right questions and obtain proper care for my rabbit.

Would it be unwise to ask the doc if they're yanking my wallet on all this, due to three visits over six weeks, with two more already planned and a possible surgery and follow-up after that? I mean, they charge $17.50 for a nail trim, as well as double the going rate for ear medicine that I can nab off Amazon, and $50 for a follow-up visit, which is tearing through the bank account, but at the same time, I don't want my rabbit to die, and not sure if he will if I don't keep on top of all these vet deals. I feel I need to explain to her that I'm at the end of my spending limit, before she suggests something really pricey, since I have about $200 left in the money I put aside for rabbit expenses for the year. I figure being honest and upfront is better than going in and landing another bill twice or more from what I expected, right?

I also am guessing it is fine to ask the vet about if my rabbit is potentially dying due to the enzyme thing? Stupid family comments and mixed google searches have me worried that he may be on the way out by natural selection over this coccoidia stuff. I'm trying to treat it the best I can by sterilizing things bunbun uses, but the doc never gave any plans outside of "give this oral med, come back later to check results", making this feel like unexplored territory for me.
>>
>>2164820
I don't have the attention span to read all that, nor do I know that much about rabbits, but I do have some words of advice. Exotic / small animal vet or no vet at all. If your vet isn't explicitly experienced with rabbits and other small animals, take it somewhere else. With anything other than cats and dogs, regular vets simply can't be trusted. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>2164887
This. Find a vet that knows how to treat rabbits. 'Regular' vets will just use a cat/dog procedure in smaller doses, which doesn't always work.
>>
>>2164820
If you can try to find another vet that specializes in rabbits to get a second opinion.
>>
File: Assignment 1-2.jpg (350 KB, 1000x894) Image search: [Google]
Assignment 1-2.jpg
350 KB, 1000x894
>>2164887
>>2165111
>>2165391
OP here, and thankful for the replies. I've looked into it, and the doc I'm using is the only noted rabbit vet based on various rabbit sites online, unless I want to push 100+ miles out of the area. This specific one is noted for working with rescues and specializes in buns, which is a big reason I went with her.

Not sure how vets work, but can I request records to take to another vet? I found a vet a few towns over that deals in rabbits, and I feel a second opinion is in order. Possibly even a change of doctors / vets at this rate.

Current doc has treated for an ear infection for over 2+ months now, ignored recent concerns of eye discharge in the past two weeks, on top of seemingly giving up on treating the elevated liver enzymes, and I dunno if I'm entitled to feel it, but I think my rabbit deserves better care.
>>
>>2165413
You should be able to request the records. If there is another vet a few towns over definitely take your bunny there, sometimes it takes a second opinion to see what's actually wrong. It's also a negative sign if you think your vet is ignoring your concerns.
>>
File: Kokz_oozysten.jpg (194 KB, 600x408) Image search: [Google]
Kokz_oozysten.jpg
194 KB, 600x408
> Not sure how vets work, but can I request records to take to another vet? I found a vet a few towns over that deals in rabbits, and I feel a second opinion is in order. Possibly even a change of doctors / vets at this rate.

Firstly, you are perfectly within your right to ask to take him/her to another vet.

Secondly, I’m only a vet student, so please don’t take what I say as bible- coccidiosis is a disease caused by protozoan parasites (see pick related), which affect the intestinal tract- and in particular if your Bun is infected by Eimeria Steidae (a species of coccidia) then it also affects the liver. However, where I’m going to confuse things further is from what I’m aware of coccidiosis is a disease of husbandry- typically crowded rabbits in a damp environment are predisposed to it (mind, wild buns can also carry it- does your rabbit graze on grass that has been grazed by wild rabbits?). Typically, we see it a lot in farmed rabbits, however I'm not a rabbit expert by any stretch of the imagination so could be wrong!

Has your vet done a faecal sample yet? Does your rabbit have diarrhea? However, has he actually given you the diagnosis of hepatic coccidiosis? I just say that as a biochemistry alone is only an indication of coccidiosis, and there are quite a few other causes of liver disease/failure.

But, IF you do get a diagnosis of coccidiosis – there are drugs out there for treatment. However, in rabbits with a heavy infestation, prognosis to be brutally honest with you OP is poor- it really depends on the stage of the disease/when treatment starts.
>>
>>2165425

Ear diseases- again, it could be a plethora of things. Is there a discharge from the ear? (If so, has he taken a swab?) Were there elevated neutrophils on her biochemistry? Has he taken an x-ray? Has he used an otoscope and looked down the ear? For a persistent ear infection, I’d personally be looking into further diagnostics- in particular an x-ray, as it could be primarily a dental problem causing a secondary ear infection (and now eye infection by the sound of your discharge). What has he put your rabbit on drops/rub wise?

Finally, if you are not happy with your current vet then you have every right just to get up and change. Lagomorphs are essentially an exotic, and your current vet may just not be very knowledgeable on them- if you have an exotic vet in town that deals with rabbits go to them.

I'm positive your vet is doing the very best he can, and I haven't even seen the animal so all I can do is make guesses- hence why please don't take anything I say as bible.
>>
File: Oreo eye discharge.jpg (62 KB, 960x528) Image search: [Google]
Oreo eye discharge.jpg
62 KB, 960x528
>>2165422
>>2165425
Thank you both for clearing up my confusion about vet records. The current vet was supposed to call me five days ago after considering a different procedure to treat the liver issue, and still nothing, which means I need to start seeing other people.

>>2165425
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help explain this to me, since all I know is the bill states that, and the vet keeps mentioning elevated enzymes of the liver, preventing neutering until it is under control, as the anesthetic could kill my rabbit.

Given the horrible story my rabbit seems to have had before I obtained him, going to guess he came from the rabbit equivalent of a breeding mill, since he was sold as a minilop due to his right ear being down (and that's the heavily infected ear), and he didn't even have hair on the back of his neck when I bought him from the original owner off Craigslist. Was also sexed as a female at the pet shop, but I understand younger rabbits are hard to tell, while his fuzzy dice are not hard to identify at this point.

Anywho, I suspect that the breeder situation could be why he has it, depending on how long the parasite can live. No dirarrhea, and hasn't eaten anything wild rabbits have grazed.

There was a discharge plan from the vet bill stating "high liver enzyme. More than double the value it should be. Most common cause is coccida. We will check fecal sample for parasites, will treat even if we don't see it"

That same bill states "Both Ears: mixture of cocci + rods TNTC (right ear worse)

Ear infection started as yeast infection, then flakes or something after yeast cleared out, and a month later, still has signs of the ear infection. His left ear seems fine, since he won't flinch anymore when I put drops in, but he jerks in pain everytime I put drops in the right, and latest visit confirmed the infection is still there.

I included an image of the eye discharge, which was solid. Twice in the last two weeks, three in last month.
>>
>>2165868
>feeding pellets
enjoy more vet visits in the future due to fucked up teeth and organ failures
>>
>>2165871
I feed unlimited hay, as well as veggies on the side. The issue is that my rabbit loves everything but hay outside of nothing else to eat.

Vet said I can start limiting his intake due to being over 6 months, but never really said how much, nor how little to shoot for. half a cup is good, or overkill?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.