[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the anon on here who keeps crested porcupines still around?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
Is the anon on here who keeps crested porcupines still around?

Debating getting one in the future and have read some zoo husbandry guides and shit, but I had a couple questions none of that stuff answered.

I remember the videos you has some young ones inside. Can you do the same with an adult? I mean obviously not all the time like a dog because i'm sure they'd chew the shit out of everything, but just on the level of getting home and letting it out while you're around.

Also how safe is a properly hand raised adult? The zoo manuals kept talking about using wooden shields and shit but I assume that all depends on how the individual was raised? I've seen pictures and videos of people carrying them and them being around children so they can't be THAT bad. (Not that I'd ever let it around kids)

Anyone else with experience with these guys would be more than welcome too!
>>
This is stupid as fuck, get a proper pet. This is something that can injure you very badly extremely easily just by accident. It lives in fucking Africa where it has to deal with huge predators all the time, they are not chill at all. An american porcupine would be better but even then it's crazy.
>>
>>2164228
Actually you are more likely to get hurt by an American porcupine. Not talking about range or anything, but it takes little to no effort to get stabbed with American porcupine quills. They are sharper, barbed and easily released. Having one in your house would be a nightmare you'd probably sit on a bunch of quills if it had been on your couch.

Crested porcupine quills are much thicker and unless you're especially retarded or purposely pissing it off then youre most likely to be fine other than a couple pokes here and there.

Nature is so cruel. Both are very playful animals that love to be pet and climb on you when hand raised.
>>
>>2164228
Faggot
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cILZ_cB3_so
>>
>>2164174
Okay to try and answer your questions here, you can bring an adult inside to interact with but they really do need an outdoor pen. They will sleep all day and be up most of the night and early morning. They will poop in the same spot most off the time so poop isn't the problem its pee. They piss all the time on everything and don't care where they piss either. They do chew a lot but mostly on bones so chewing isnt that big of an issue its digging. If you have carpet they will dig that carpet up with there nails and can do a good amount of damage pretty quickly. If you have tile floors they will try and find a crack or opening between the tiles and pull them up.

When it comes to the adults they are all different. I have a male and 2 females. one of the females was parent raised and I got here at 5 months old. I can walk around her, hand her food and she will come up to me but she will not let me touch her. The other two are bottle babies I got at 2 weeks old the male is super friendly and I can pick him up with out him puffing out. The female does not like to be picked up and gets wiggly and try's to get away. If you have a porcupine you will get poked, and it can be completely by accident from stepping on shed quills or they just excited to see you and wagging their tails and poking you.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.