[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions from a new fish keeper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 989754-center-1.jpg (126 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
989754-center-1.jpg
126 KB, 1500x1500
Hey /an/ i am a new fish keeper and today was the day i filled my 20 gallon fish tank, i had purchase a kit but the ratings on the filter were somewhat negative so i purchased a separate filter that is rated for a 30-50 gallon tank, anyways my question was can filter outflow be too strong for fish??? PLEASE RESPOND. picture is my filter btw
>>
>>2162173
Yes, use rubber tubing to downsize it or little fish will get sucked up.
>>
>>2162173
I thought you said inflow. I'm not sure how to modify outflow.
>>
>>21621 could you please be more descripitive
>>
>>2162173
Most fish live in places with much stronger currents than that filter will produce.

Some fish that have been bred to have extremely long fins may not be able to live with it. Bettas and fancy goldfish are a couple types that might have problems with strong flow.

You can build a baffle in front of the filter to direct flow downwards if you want. Or stick plants or decorations in front of it to break up the flow.

in my experience HOB filters don't create that much current, so I'd probably just try it out and see if the fish are fine.
>>
>>2162173
is it a tall or a long 20 gallon tank?
>>
>>2162173
Unless you're keeping very small or retarded fish, it's fine. The outflow needs to be disruptive in order to aerate the water.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.