[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aq/ - aquarium general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg (82 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg
82 KB, 600x422
- Crystal Red Shrimp Edition -

Continued from >>2158906

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

FAQ Section

>How to handle algae, snails, lighting, easy plants for beginners etc:

http://pastebin.com/KcJUJeV7

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters:

Flowgrow
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

KGTropicals - Mostly Cichlid Talk
https://www.youtube.com/user/KGTropicals
>>
What are your favorite marine aquarium information resources. Ive been doing research for the past few months but I want to be sure I have a good base of knowledge before making a move
>>
File: IMG_1971.jpg (70 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1971.jpg
70 KB, 600x450
Kuhli's are so cute! I want a tank full of them!
>>
>>2162084
Wetwebmedia
>>
>>2161964
How does that work? Do you keep the plants in bags and fill them with CO2?

>>2161974
I've run into this problem trying to get info on houseplants, too.
>>
>>2161330
Marimo balls are hollow inside. Imagine peeling an orange, except it doesn't split up as much.
Then you get some slate flooring tile from a home improvement store and beat it with a hammer until the pieces are small enough to tie the marimo to.
>>
Anybody have any experience keeping fire belly newts? I'm preparing to set up a tank for one and would appreciate some tips/pointers
>>
Hey guys.
Im thinking of starting a new forum website. Would anyone here wanna be a mod and help write some starter articles? e.g cycling tank planted tank forum etc etc.
Will be hoping to grow it and start doing aquascape competitions etc where people vote for best tank. Thoughts anyone?
>>
Hey guys recently came into some money and want to upgrade.

I currently have a pet shop betta in a 5 gallon.
Hes cute but pretty colourless and stuff so I wanted to make it more interesting. Do you think I should get a 50 gallon and add other fish or get a 50 gallon, split it and get a couple more betta?

Obviously the problem with the first one is there are not many fish that you can house with a betta. I could get some corys I suppose.

Which would you recommend?
>>
>>2162080
Any tips on green star polyps?

I have a baby 5 gallon right now cycling. It's just going to be in a invert tank. Light requirements?
>>
>>2162125
I'll contribute. I have zero writing experience, and a moderate aquascaping skill.
>>
>>2162129
Get a 50 gallon and put better fish in it. Leave the betta in his 5 gallon.

Do some cichlids or a planted angel tank.
>>
>>2162129
would reccoment leaving beta in its mini tank maybe getting a 10gal for it then start a new 50 gallon.
Once you get a big tank theres no going back dont limit yourself with a beta fish. Also get him alot of plants for his mini tank to help keep water clean
>>
>>2162125
What's it going to offer over other well-established aquarium forums?
>>
>>2162136
well hopefully more regular competitions was thinking raffles if it got a nice community going and several topics I havent seen in other places.
>>
>>2162137
You have to bring in people before you can do competitions. What topics were you thinking?
>>
>>2162139
The usual for starters like setting up new tank etc etc. But I was hoping to do whole diy section link all the great youtubers like joey etc and tricks to getting cheap supplies.
E.g the ebay driftwood thats only 5$ shipped and is looks great.
>>
>>2162141
also growing issues like camallanus worms which are becoming more and more common in retail shops
>>
>>2162142
I like the DIY part. The thing about is that you have to create content, not just link to content.

Personally, I think there is no good database of fish keeping tutorials. You can ask on forums, but that isn't structured or retained well.

Do you have any experience in writing or web design?
>>
>>2162145
>I think there is no good database of fish keeping tutorials
You mean like Seriouslyfish or Badman's Tropical Fish?

>>2162142
Personally I've always wanted something similar to Seriously fish, but for inverts. Planetinverts is okay, but it isn't as detailed and it's missing a lot of profiles.
>>
Speaking of shrimp, are bamboos illegal now? I can't find those guys anywhere for sale, not even online.
>>
>>2162145
Not so much. Ive written before and ive been in the hobby for years.
I agree about the structure which is why I was hoping to create my forum. I know ill need alot of content which is why Im not gonna start untill I have a few people who wanna contribute and help. Also I wont just be linking to others content purely just have a few helpful links mentioned.
I know it comes down mainly to amount of content and the website interface which is why im trying to find people interested in helping
>>
>>2162147
could have a whole section devoted to inverts structured etc.
Ive never really delved into invert keeping that much tho so not something I could handle. Only ever kept a few cherry shrimp
>>
>>2162147
>I think there is no good database of fish keeping tutorials
I should have specified, aquascaping. Also, almost every forum is slow. Reddit is shit

>>2162151
As I stated in >>2162131 I have no writing experience other than college comp, but I have experience in building communities. I'd be willing to contribute, and help with general management
>>
>>2162154
hey email me at [email protected]
Its gonna take a while to get site going so give me a message in case thread 404s.
Send me any ideas/content you have aswell.
This goes for anyone interested
>>
File: 20160704_192627.jpg (2 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160704_192627.jpg
2 MB, 4032x2268
Sorry for upsidedown pictures.

What shrimps could i breed without risk of cross breeding? Also what shrimp are the most sought after? Why Is it only the CrS? Also why are RcS so expensive for what you get?
>>
>>2162149
saw some on aquabid some days ago. They have them in my local petsmart
>>
>>2162168
They're technically illegal in Idaho for some stupid ass reason. So is have to ship them, so aquabid it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 720x405
How do I deal with the algae on me anubias?
>>
Interested in putting live plants in my new tank. Just a 20g but would like to have a dwarf hair carpet and a driftwood tree but am unsure of what type of plant to put on that.

Would I need to get a CO2 system for this set up? I already have a twin bulb T5HO so I don't think lighting will be a problem and have a good substrate. I have seen some Seachem bottle that apparently makes CO2 for plants but would feel iffy adding that all the time. Have also read that you can make your own system with yeast and a gatorade bottle but want /aq/ input before I do/buy anymore
>>
>>2162175
turn off your lights for awhile
UV sterilizatiom
>>
>>2162176
A co2 system for a heavily planted tank is necessary, you can always just do a paintball co2 delivery system, it's cheaper than a regular system but just as effective. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/115850-paintball-co2-injection-diy-setup-tons-photos.html#/forumsite/20495/topics/115850?page=1
>>
>>2162167
>What shrimps could i breed without risk of cross breeding?
Get one species of Caridina and one species of Neocaridina.

>Also what shrimp are the most sought after?
Where I live blue and yellow neos seem to be the most sought after neos. Black king kong and blue bolts are among the most expensive caridinas, but crystal reds seem to be the most popular.
That may be different where you live.

>Also why are RcS so expensive for what you get?
Are they? The shops around me sell high grade ones for $2-3 and hobbyists for $1-2.
>>
File: 20160705_210006.png (4 MB, 3061x1723) Image search: [Google]
20160705_210006.png
4 MB, 3061x1723
>>2162192
Yeah, rcs are so common I dont see how they are so expensive.

>High grade for $2-$3

Seriously? I get low to mid mixed grades for that much. They sell high grade sakura shrimp at about $4-$6 here. I haven't seen painteds on the market here at all.

What about blue tigers? Do they have a decent market?
>>
>>2162175
brush of gently with toothbrush or get a bristlenose.

Bristlenose is life
>>
>>2162195
australia?
>>
File: 267.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
267.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>2162197
No, in the northwest of the U.S. we have alot of plants. But when it comes to the pets, its fairly bland. We used ti have alot of aquatic shops. But they all dies out before i got to have my own tank.
Why, does Australia not have a good shrimp market?
>>
Where does /aq/ get rocks and wood? None of my LFS carry anything besides slate and basic brand name stuff that doesn't look natural.

I live on the coast but haven't found anything decent so I am thinking about ordering.
>>
>>2162202
I've only found ebay to work for me. Every item has the actual picture, usually with a soda can as comparison. Most websites only have a generic picture of the product, so you don't know what exactly you'll get
>>
>>2162202
I get mine from local rivers and lakes. Bit more of a hassle but nothing to bad.
>>
File: 003__3_seahorse_tank.jpg (2 MB, 3518x2512) Image search: [Google]
003__3_seahorse_tank.jpg
2 MB, 3518x2512
Anyone ever kept seahorses? What would I be getting into?
>>
>>2162084
reefcentral.com
you can ask here too, there's a handful of reefkeepers on /aq/
>>
>>2162234
There's at least one anon that lurks here and keeps them.
How much experience do you have with marine tanks?
>>
>>2162159
Call it aquachan or 404tank

I'd be very interested in a network for trading/selling inverts
>>
>>2162253
Moderate, ive had one in the past but had to take it down and was thinking about keeping seahorses because they dont need crazy flow and light like a standard reef tank. Also it would be cool to have a bunch of marine plants in there for them to hang onto. I understand that they need pristine water though. that could be a challenge.
>>
>>2162255
yeah, but the macro algae can help with keeping nitrates extremely low. You'd still need moderate lighting to grow most of those.

My thinking is you set up a low flow tank with a bit of live rock and some macros, and once the algae are growing good you could start introducing seahorses. Macro algae can be fairly sensitive to water quality as well, so if you can grow those without any problems you're probably going to do fine.
>>
>>2162234
Are there any freshwater/brackish species of seahorses? Or at least a freshwater species of aquatic animal that physically resembles them?
>>
>>2162266
Look into freshwater pipefish. Most seahorses and their relatives are salt and brackish, but there are some pipefish that are freshwater
>>
>>2162266
none that I know of, but like most reef fish seahorses can tolerate salinities down to about 1.011 SG which is well within the range of brackish tanks.

I don't know why you'd bother though. Brackish tanks aren't necessarily cheaper or easier to keep than full marine. Especially if you're keeping marine fish in them. And while marine parasites can't survive in brackish tanks, neither can the bugs that seahorses eat nor most of the algae and plants they normally like to live in.
>>
File: 4b07e2df.jpg (333 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
4b07e2df.jpg
333 KB, 1024x764
>>2162264
Another interesting idea would be seahorses in the refugium of a reef tank. im always interested in people displaying their refugium as a second tank instead of hiding it away in a cabinet. I wonder if it could work with a healthy population of copepods.
>>
>>2162280
oh god that lighting

yeah, you could set up a fuge as a second display tank. I think that's what the anon here that keeps seahorses did.

but at that point you're really just running multiple tanks off a central sump. It would be cool to do, but the cleanest way would be to put the filtration in a closet and then run plumbing for saltwater throughout the house. Have a bunch of tanks connected but in different rooms.
>>
>>2162287
Yeah idk what the fuck that lighting is but I love experimentation within the hobby. I like when people do something different and dont just copy things they saw on youtube. It helps the hobby move forward when people invent new methods of keeping aquariums
>>
I have something like 30 new platy fry in my hospital tank

Help
>>
File: 2016-07-04 16.30.24.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-04 16.30.24.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
>>2162175
My amanos sit for hours and groom all the leaves in my tank.
>>
File: 1463307118697.png (219 KB, 545x521) Image search: [Google]
1463307118697.png
219 KB, 545x521
>>2162201
>Why, does Australia not have a good shrimp market?
Because they're all on the barbie.
>>
>>2162167
CRS is still in high demand and the most popular Caridina, but keep an eye out for pinto, galaxy and skunk shrimp - especially pintos have a rising demand.

In my eyes, you make the most money by selling low-mid-grade shrimp since most people dont care about how high graded their shrimp is and don't wish to spend money for the extra price.

The most money I ever made was by selling yellow fire shrimp of various grades to other aquarists in my city, just advertised them on this country's version of craigslist.

With Neocaridina colours, the demand can vary, depending on your region.

Here in Germany, it's usually (highest demand -> lowest demand) Blue, Orange, Yellow, Red, Green, White, Wildtype and with Rilis inbetween.
>>
File: shrimps082-vi.jpg (303 KB, 1000x674) Image search: [Google]
shrimps082-vi.jpg
303 KB, 1000x674
I still want some black tiger shrimp.
>>
>>2162349
Imagine a swarm of those guys coming out of the cracks of your rockwork to pile up on a bit of zucchini.
>>
>>2162325
Freeze them in an ice cube tray and use them as food.
>>
>>2162346
>skunk shrimp
Aren't those low order? How are you supposed to keep the larvae alive?

Orange rilis are my dream neo, but I've never even seen them in person.
>>
>>2162382
nah, skunk as well as pinto and galaxy are just regular caridina. Skunk is just a Taibee morph. So no need for saltwater. Issue is rather, stable selection on the skunk pattern.
>>
>>2162308
>It helps the hobby move forward when people invent new methods of keeping aquariums
true, but this guy is using a method that was outdated in the 1920's.

I've done lighting like that too, the only reason to do it is because you're both too inept to build actual LED's and too poor to buy them built. On top of that your credit has to be so bad that no bank in the world will lend you $100.

that's pretty fucking poor. But like I said, I've been there. That's a ghetto fish tank though. That lighting probably cost more than a real LED system, the only advantage is he was able to buy it $10 at a time.
>>
What is the cheapest and smallest setup I could buy to keep some very happy and healthy shrimp?
>>
>>2162522
A used 5-10gallon with sponge filter or hang on back filter and included (led) lighting.

You can go smaller, but if you are a beginner, rather get 5-10g, easier to manage parameters.
>>
File: pinok1.jpg (27 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
pinok1.jpg
27 KB, 500x334
>>2162408
I think we may be thinking of different shrimp.
>>
>>2162522
"Cheapest" and "smallest" don't really go hand-in-hand, unless you're keeping them in a storage bin.
I have 1.3 gallon and a 1.8 gallon tanks with shrimp in them, but honestly if you're going to set up a tank from scratch a 5 or 10 gallon will cost nearly as much and be easier to keep.
If you get a hang on back filter, buy an intake sponge so that smaller shrimp don't get sucked up.
>>
File: skunk-taiwan-2.jpg (47 KB, 960x543) Image search: [Google]
skunk-taiwan-2.jpg
47 KB, 960x543
>>2162535
Yeah I figure. That's what happens when there's a million morphs/mutations and people create some designer morphs.

Pic is the skunk I was talking about.
>>
>>2162540
I just don't have a ton of space for it so the smaller the better. I figured it would be cheaper for a smaller one as well but I'm just researching everything right now so I'm a little clueless.
If I were to buy everything used what could I expect to spend on a 5 gallon setup?
>>
>>2162567
Woops meant to say new not used.
>>
>>2162567
All new, including shrimp, plants and all? I'd say 70-120 $ depending on what prices and products your store offers. You can save a lot of money via buying shrimp and plants from other hobbyists.
>>
>>2162134
>mini tank
>>
>>2162653
Just because normies thing 5 gallons is fuckhuge doesn't mean it is.
>>
Anyone ever see pet store stock get labeled weird? At a local petco they have 2 tanks with Amano shrimp one is label as such and the other is Japanese algae shrimp and they are $2 cheaper but smaller.
>>
>>2162567
Depends on what's available to you. I was able to set my sister up a 5 gallon betta tank for about $40 because I was able to get the tank and plants for cheap.

If you only have access to big box stores and online, you'd probably spend closer to $50 or $60, depending on what you did with plants and wood.
>>
>>2162670
PetSmart carries peace lilies (Spathiphyllum), but insists on labeling them "umbrella plants." Also, their "white/gold ribbon plants" are just lucky bamboo.
>>
>>2162090
I've heard Kuhl is are nocturnal and will generally hide during the day and hunt at night, if I get one or two of these will I ever see them?
>>
>>2162727
If you get one or two, no, you'll never see them. Loaches are social animals. They don't do well on their own.
If you get five or six and give them a few caves for security, you'll see them regularly.
>>
>>2162655
its not mini though, its small.
But anyway calm down
>>
File: fish tank.jpg (245 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
fish tank.jpg
245 KB, 1600x1200
Someones selling this saying its 20 gallons.

Reckon it is? Looks tiny.
>>
>>2162749
They're synonymous.
>arguing semantics on an Uzbekistani ice sculpting BBS

>>2162752
Looks legit to me, but the best way to know would be to ask the seller for the dimensions.
>>
>>2162760
>>arguing semantics on an Uzbekistani ice sculpting BBS

None of this means anything to me lad haha

And I think I should just buy it before it goes. Its way to cheap.
>>
They have 10 gallon for 10 pounds as well. Thats a good deal gonna have to buy them both.

Any suggestions what to put in here?
I want to add corys to the the 20 gallon should I just put one betta in here on its own.
>>
>>2162763
Dumb 4chan joke.

>>2162766
Get a pair of dwarf cichlids to go with your cories.
>>
>>2162770
Not really a fan of cichlids but thanks anyway.
I'll do some research of what can be kept with cories, I only know about looking after bettas really. I've never had anything else.
>>
File: Mikrogeophagus-ramrirezi-pair.jpg (85 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
Mikrogeophagus-ramrirezi-pair.jpg
85 KB, 1024x708
>>2162777
Dwarf cichlids are a world different from the behemoths of Central America and the African rift lakes.
Any peaceful fish will get along with cories, though. You could also look into killifish.
Other gourami will have very similar care to bettas, if that's your comfort zone. Sparkling gourami and honey gourami are nice, but there are quite a few that would be happy in a 20 gallon tank.
>>
>>2162268
Oh my god that fish is so derpy looking and fucking adorable.
>>
Do ghost / cherry shrimp eat dead plant matter? I'd like a little help with that in my bettas tank
>>
>>2162814
Oh right thank you. So would you say definatley don't put a betta with cories? I've been told those two get along fine.

>>2162850
Mine doesn't but I think they are suppose to.

Anyone know anything about filters and heaters here?
Which off these would you say is a better deal?

http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquael-econoline-70-bow-aquar

http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-tanks-and-cabinets/aquarium-kits/aquael-leddy-80
>>
>>2162879
>So would you say definatley don't put a betta with cories?
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I was just making other suggestions. Bettas and cories get along fine. If you want a small shoal of rasboras or tetras to go in there as well, they'll all get along.

Of those two I'd get the first one. Stock LED lighting is rarely ever strong enough for most plants. The T5 light on the Econoline 70 isn't great, but it should be good enough for low light plants. I also like that the filter on that one has an adjustable flow rate.

>>2162850
Yes. Amano seem to do a much better job of it.
>>
File: camarón pequeño.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
camarón pequeño.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
Cute little bugger.
>>
Well, my guppy just died. I'm not sure if it's because of fin nipping (there were only 2 of them, both males and the other one was the only one eating) or if it was because of fin rot. What are the indications of fin rot?
>>
>>2162910
Saddle-like infection before the dorsal fin and similiar infection around the mouth, generally heavy breathing, deterioration of the fin.
>>
>>2162908
You just got the one?

I don't see the appeal with shrimp
>>
>>2162908
Wow, nice tank. What is that carpeting plant?
>>
>>2162918
Six. The others are just out of frame.

>>2162926
Thanks. The carpet is marimo. See >>2160664 and >>2162108.
>>
>>2162879
Depends on the betta, my betta would harass and bite my cories so I gave him away. Some bettas are chill and will even do good with mollies others are shit heads.
>>
Which one of you said an Oscar could live with by bass. I put him in there Being 7inches as big as my bass. Within an hour that Oscar was nearly dead and I ended up giving it away. So damn you to whoever made me lose 20$
>>
>>2162941
A bass is way too aggressive and dominant. Sorry that someone gave you that advice.
>>
>>2162941
Why would you take advice from 4chan about animals without then double checking and researching elsewhere? Sucks about your fish though.
>>
>>2162941
this:
>>2162991

/aq/ is a gaggle of frothing retards jerking each other off.

under no circumstances should you do anything they say. In most cases you should do the exact opposite. You can't overstate how stupid the people here are.
>>
File: Killifish fry 1.webm (3 MB, 700x392) Image search: [Google]
Killifish fry 1.webm
3 MB, 700x392
My killi fry are tearing up some brine and fairy shrimp.
Got some daphnia ordered, should arrive today.
>>
>decide to clean my marbles crayfish tank
>she has black eggs
w-what do i do anons? i don't have pvc pipes yet
>>
>>2163124
Run to the hardware store and get some. They're cheap as balls
>>
>>2163020
What species did you get?
>>
My friend brought me some ammonia too dose my tank, since I'm starting a fish less cycle. Is it safe if the ingredients say ammonium hydroxide amd surfactant, is this safe?
>>
>>2163185
The ammonia hydroxide is fine but the surfactant is bad. Just go to a gardening store and pick up ammonia chloride or hydroxide.
>>
Thinking of making my own CO2 system for a new tank I have planned. Been looking at the paintball canister method but heard some horror stories about it. Has anyone successfully done it before?
>>
>>2163019
But if your post is true, then it is perfectly fine to keep bettas and goldfish in bowls. Because anons in these generals always say that you have to give them their own tanks that are of the right size, with the proper amount of filtration and heating.
>>
I'm new to aquariums.

I bought Malaysian driftwood, just put it in my tank, and now the water is brown. The Internet recommends that I boil the piece of wood but since I have no fish yet can I just wait it out?
>>
>>2163230
The tannins dont go away, or rather just rather slowly via water changes. Boiling might open the pores and might release even more tannins.

Best advice of mine would be to put the wood in a bucket or pvc container with water and replace it daily till the water no longer gets brown. Could tanke a week or two.
>>
File: anna kendrick's fish.jpg (23 KB, 580x572) Image search: [Google]
anna kendrick's fish.jpg
23 KB, 580x572
>>2163214
>But if your post is true, then it is perfectly fine to keep bettas and goldfish in bowls.
and the thought has never crossed your tiny little mind that it might be perfectly fine?

this is why I love reading what you guys write.
the un-ironic retardation is amazing.
>>
>>2163240
Hi Ila
>>
>>2163253
that tripfag was wrong over half of the time.

which is still a way better record than the rest of /aq/ manages.
>>
>its another everyone obsesses over nanos, shrimp and plants episode

Jesus anyone keep anything predatory or interesting?

>>2162234
They're a pain to get consistently feeding. I've had some that would only eat live brine shrimp 2-3 times a day and some i weaned off live to frozen.

Pipefish have been easier in some respects.
>>
>>2163240
>says the frothing retard jerking himself off
>>
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 500x332
>>2163262
I've always wanted some of picrelated, but they can't ship here.
>>
>>2163262
I just got myself some threadfin rainbowfish, they seem to be doing fine seeing as the males immediately started courting the females.
>>
Lads could you keep cories in a 10 gallon?
>>
>>2163262
My neighbor has a FOWLR with about 5 trigger fish its fucking awesome but the tank is so ugly
>>
File: quoyi parrotfish.jpg (304 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
quoyi parrotfish.jpg
304 KB, 1620x1080
>>2163274
Also he just picked up pic related
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rM9BX74WnE
>>
>>2163277
I don't like saltwater tanks.
>>
File: 2016-07-08-00-00-33-1705444591.jpg (4 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-08-00-00-33-1705444591.jpg
4 KB, 318x159
>>2163274
Picasso triggers are top tier alongside clowns and nigers. Had a queen trigger shred my knuckles once for a dare. Was not fun or painless! They're piss easy to maintain and easy feeders, great at bringing out hesitant lionfish, wrasse and groupers into feeding mode.

>>2163268
Closest I've had to those are pic related, "Silver Garfish" (Hujeta). They were wild caught or live fed because they wouldn't eat much else but minnows or brine shrimp. Dominant fish starved the others then died. Bad batch, wouldnt recommend.
>>
>>2163265
>tell me again about my fishes' feelings, George.
>>
I would give my right arm for this tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEhJWdFUAY
>>
Are there any plant/fish combos I can have in like a glass sphere without a pump
>>
>>2163286
looks a little cartoonish to me.
Not that I could do better.
>>
http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquael-hexset-60-litre-black

Lads what fish would you be able to keep in that?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 700x466
>>2163262
Ever kept groupers? I miss my little panther grouper; one of the most puppy-like fish I've ever raised.
I wish I could have seen him full grown. He was about 8 or 9 inches when the power went out and my tank crashed while I was away for thanksgiving.
>>
>>2163297
Yeah I've kept panthers for the most part. Currently raising a blue spot grouper up too. Great fish, very, I wouldn't say intelligent, but reactive? Especially visually. But then again..duh.

I find marine fish are more inquisitive and have better personalities, I just prefer trops.
>>
>>2163289
The lady who owns it gave a tour that was pretty in depth and its actually a very simple system.
It is very bright and colorful but I think thats the best thing about marine systems, there are much more colors available than freshwater systems
>>
>>2163301
It's difficult to balance the low-nutrient needs of corals with the messy feeding and shitting habits of predators. She's doing a great job with it.

I was first drawn to marine tanks by the riot of colors, but after a few decades keeping them and comparing them to actual reefs in the ocean I find most tanks crowded and almost painfully unnatural looking.

I just like to be reminded of the ocean when I look at a tank.
>>
>>2163277
Looks like ADD in aquarium form. Not my thing.
>>
File: strawman.jpg (91 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
strawman.jpg
91 KB, 600x450
>>2163284
>>
>>2163321
then what's your complaint with the tens of millions of people that keep fish in bowls?

if we agree the fish can't suffer and that the owners aren't in any financial hardship if their fish dies, what's the fucking problem?
>>
>>2163323
DEVO
>>
Lads I'm gonna add some catfish to my tank.
Should I get a school of the same type or can you mix them? I wanted two albino and 3 peppered ones.
>>
Lads I need help

I like

cory catfish
Pgymy catfish
dwarf frogs
Shrimp (all types)

Size isnt an issue so not worry about how many of each which of these are safest to keep together?

Frogs and shrimp im guessing no
but what about shrimp with catfish?
>>
Lads
>>
>>2163354
To many British people in these threads
>>
>>2163272
>>2163294
>>2163331
>>2163346
>>2163354
Fuck me lads
>>
>>2163331
It's best to stick to one type/color, but if you're going to mix them get albino and green cories since they're the same species.

>>2163346
>Pgymy catfish
You mean pygmy cories?
Those three can all go together okay, even in something smallish like a 10 gallon. Cories will leave adult shrimp along, but might eat newborn shrimplets. The frog might eat some shrimp if they swim in front of him, but they're not especially good hunters. A larger tank with some densely planted areas where the shrimp can hide would lessen the risk, but keep the tank shallow so the frogs can get to the surface easily.
>>
>>2163311
Im not a fan of corals stacked on top of each other I like this guys tank though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXNXUouXRts
he does a good job of keeping corals spaced out and giving them room to grow in
>>
>>2163363
I decided not to get frogs. I went with 3 pygmy cories and 4 ghost shrimp.
Do you think I should get 6 pygmys or will 3 be fine?
>>
>>2162080
I live in North Brisbane, Australia and would be interested in owning seahorses but no nothing about taking care of them.
>>
>>2163272
Pygmy, dwarf, and dainty cories (C. pygmaeus, hastatus, and habrosus) are okay in a ten gallon. Others are going to get too big to have a proper school and give them adequate swimming space.

>>2163294
It has a very similar footprint to a standard 10 gallon, so stock it like one. If you get strict top, middle, and bottom dwelling fish (eg. marbled hatchetfish, celestial pearl danios, and pygmy corydoras) you can increase the numbers of each fish.

>>2163358
>>2163361
I thought maybe it was a joke, or a single person asking a bunch of questions.
Or both.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 404x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 404x484
>>2162337

I need shrimp
>>
>>2163366
Get as many as you can afford. They aren't bothered by close quarters and they're more active when you have a lot of them. I have about 15 in a 40 gallon, but they all used to be in a ten gallon together before I upgraded.
>>
>>2162337
I had a bunch but I suspect my Syno lucipinnis ate them all.
>>
>>2163376
Why don't you buy one?

>>2163380
Ok I'll get 6, be nicer for them.
Thanks a lot for your help.

>>2163373
I did it twice, its because I usually post on /brit/ and they all just say it every post haha. Think the rest are mocking me.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4000x4000
What fish have the best personalities that you guys have had?
>>
>>2163386
Bolivian rams and the green sunfish at work for me.
>>
>>2163323
Because fish are still susceptible to stress and because I value the lives of animals.
>>
>>2163386
My albino cory catfish honestly
>>
>>2163386
i had a chinese algae eater that had great personality

it would come stare at me when I stood in front of the tank too long or sometimes if I waved at it and would even move around/prop itself up on its front fins seemingly for a better look. Would hang out near the hose when I vacuumed the gravel

sadly he also mutilated half of my platies and mollies then suicided out of the bowl I put him in for temporary relocation

Man I miss that fish
>>
>dark as hell, just took a shower an hour ago
>feel something wet
>crayfish tank water all over the floor
>pregnant cray just waddling in it, probably thinking it fucked up
>refill water and dechlorinate
>realized i took a shower and handled the crayfish without a net
How stressed is this crayfish and how much did I damage with the shower?
>>
Anyone here order fish?

I've never done it before but no local pet shops sell any good fish so I've just placed an order now.
It was really overpriced as well.

Still, can't wait till Wednesday when it arrives.
>>
File: Green-babaulti-shrimps-2.jpg (375 KB, 2001x1397) Image search: [Google]
Green-babaulti-shrimps-2.jpg
375 KB, 2001x1397
Can you believe people still buy ghost shrimp when green ones exist?
>>
>>2163426
very stressed.
very little.
did you refill the tank without looking for leaks?
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 670x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 670x506
>>2163386

Chalk bass
Niger triggerfish
Coral beauty
>>
>>2163443
What about flame angels?
>>
>>2163444

Same as coral beauty
>>
>>2163433
>25¢/ea
>available everywhere
>$3/ea
>available nowhere
I can't imagine why.
>>
>>2163474
just ordered 10, not that hard to find
>>
>>2163230
Don't worry about the brown water, tannins are good and can help promote better health in your fish.

This is because tannins sooth fish, and the less stressed out they are, the less vulnerable to illness they are.
>>
>>2163288
Shrimp, snails, and moss. Along with air plants like dracaena or potho vines.
>>
>>2163428
The only thing I can think of is if the box with your fish are left too long on your doorstep, or take too long getting to you in an unheated/uncooled van.

Depending on your exact region, your fish could potentially freeze/overheat.
>>
>>2163489
Normies don't "order" animals, much less shrimp.
>>
>>2163489
>ordered
>>
>>2163522
>Normies
oh dear

>>2163523
prawn salad
>>
>>2163386
I have two lyretail creamsicle mollies and they have the best personalities ever! The female one doesn't care much about me but the male one is always playing hide-and-seek with me whenever I come over to the tank, I can sit there for nearly 20 minutes without getting bored just swaying my head back and forth cause the molly will follow me around. He also nibbles at my fingers when I stick them in the tank :)
>>
>>2163504
I think they should be fine. It says this

They will then be shipped on our overnight service. You must be available to receive and sign for the fish to receive our arrive alive and 5 day guarantees. Please then read our acclimatizing guide on the best way to settle your new fish in. If there are any problems with your delivery please call us. There are sometimes delays out of our control due to weather, traffic and accidents, please call us if your delivery is late, we do still need you to be available for the delivery due to it being livestock.

So not much chance of it freezing. I think they should be fine just think I got ripped off
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aquariums-Complete-Package-24x24x20/dp/B00HY5PD56
How does this look for a marine tank?
>>
>>2162110
if you ever kept fire belly toads you'll know what to do, they're pretty easy, land and water and food twice a day
>>
>>2162541
thats beautiful where can i buy those
>>
>>2163386
My cories, they're playful little buggers. They're dumb little shits but they are always playing together and enjoy riding the air bubbles to the top of the tank.
>>
>>2162110
They prefer cooler water, so dont let their water get too warm. Offer them enough space on land - like 1/3 land, 2, 3 water.

Depending on their age, some primarily hang out on land, before migrating to water and just going out of the water for basking.

They don't like too strong currents and should be kept in a species only tank.

Get them frozen bloodworms - they love those.
>>
Hey guys.

I've got a dwarf honey gourami and some cardinal tetras in my tank.

I had about 10 tetras but due to them getting sick or jumping I was down to 6.

Recently I noticed there were only 5 in the tank. I checked all around and couldn't see a dried up body. Then a couple of weeks later it was down to 4.

I've recently noticed my honey gourami chasing them. He's definitely fed well enough but I assume he's eaten the last 2?

Is he only doing this because the numbers have dwindled? I have never noticed him chasing them before, they've always been fine together.

Will getting more tetras bring balance back to the force?

>tl;dr
>had 10 tetras and dwarf honey gourami
>was fine until numbers dwindled
>2 possibly eaten by gourami
>wat do

I'm going to get more anyway but holding off because I want to be sure they won't get harassed before doing it.
>>
>>2163562
Cardinals usually get a bit bigger than neon tetras, so a honey gourami shouldnt be a issue or are we talking still young and small cardinals?

If so, observe how it goes. You could try to introduce a male/female gourami, depending on the gender of yours, so they can socialize and dont project aggression towards your tetras.
>>
>>2163567

I've had them all the same amount of time.

I don't think they'll get any bigger than they currently are.

I might reshuffle all the driftwood/etc in the tank and see if that changes anything
>>
>>2163567
>>2163562
As an addendum, if yours were smaller, I had a similiar situation with smaller cardinals and already full grown black skirt tetras in my tank.

The black skirts ate the smaller ones and hunted them. The bigger ones weren't bothered, so if you had small ones by now, consider buying bigger ones.
>>
I'm looking to start a 10 gal planted aquarium for my betta.

Is Fluval a good substrate for keeping plants nourished? Is there anything else I need? Is a CO2 system really nessecary? Also do I need lighting or are there aqautic plants that grow good in bright ambient room lighting?

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>2163577
get at least some basic lighting, like a cheap LED or T5 fixture, if you wanna keep low/medium demand plants java ferns, anubias, hygrophila, elodea, cabomba or echinodorus etc.

Only get co2 if you wanna keep more demanding plants, for example carpeting ones or red ones and have a stronger light for those.

Fluval is a brand name, do you have the product name by chance?
>>
>>2163581
It's called Fluval plant and shrimp stratum substrate. So its volcanic ash basically. It's just the only stuff available to me locally but it seems like its good stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I'm going to have fun researching those plants. I like anubias a lot. I have a vivarium but don't know much about the demands of aquatic plants. Thanks for laying it down.
>>
>>2163585
Stratum is a fine substrate for planted tanks. Since its an active substrate, you don't need to fertilize your plants that much or even at all, depending on what you wanna keep.
>>
>>2163585
No Problem. If you are not sure about plants. you could always look up plants on sites such as flowgrow (in the OP) or do it in reverse and set your parameters and desired plant characteristics and get plant recommendations from the search engine. Really handy.

Got pics from your vivarium? What you keeping there?
>>
File: 10G.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
10G.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>2163577
This tank was done with Fluval Stratum, Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel (no CO2), and this hood https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aquarium-AAG20009-Economy/dp/B0002AS59G with two Great Value brand "daylight" CFLs from Walmart.
>>
>>2163593
Well I don't want to overstep /aq/ but here's a shitty pic. For now there's only hissing cockroaches in it, and supposedly the isopods and springtails I put in there but I haven't seen much trace of them. I want to get a crested gecko later on and move the roaches or something but I don't know if the space qualifies. Maybe get frogs or something more interesting down the road but I digress.

I had a vivarium/paladarium thread but it doesnt seem people plant their reptile's tank as much as their fish. With a good clean up crew you can make it very low maintenance though, I guess it's just not as common in the herp keeping hobby.
>>
File: 20160708_011801.jpg (737 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160708_011801.jpg
737 KB, 2048x1152
>>2163607
Shit forgot my pic
>>
>>2163609
Are you spiderman?
>>
File: 20160707_194055.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160707_194055.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>2163607
I also prefer heavy plantation, if the species you keep allows it. It's not even hate but all this repticarpet and very bare tank design I see is very unappealing to me. I know its practical with many herps though. Can't deny that.

Pic is btw my fishtank, need to trim plants and maybe get a better phone cam someday, mine can't handle the light.
>>
>>2163598
This is a beautiful setup. I love floating plants.
>>
>>2163618
Very nice, what did you use for substrate, what dimensions and what kinda lights? I see some shrimp anything else in there?

And yeah, it's just funny how much money people could save, at least for smaller tropical herps, by investing in bioactive substrate. It can even provide supplemental food sources. I hope the hobby gets somehow more popular in the future.
>>
Lads I legit can not wait
>>
>>2163622
Its a 54l, which should be a 13,5gal.

Inhabitants are

70+ Blue Dream Shrimp + uknown amount of shrimplets
8 Amano Shrimp
12 dwarf cory cats (habrosus)
8 Otocinclus
2 juvenile Black Bar Endlers (used to breed those, kept them as leftovers)
3 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 mal, 2 females
Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Ramshorn Snails

All in all, the ADFs may seem controversial with the shrimp if the desire is to breed them, but I had the same setup with yellow fire shrimp, selling them off on a regular basis. My guess is that the frogs don't really bother to predate the shrimplets, since the really small ones usually hang out on the plants, where the frogs don't go and the slightly bigger ones that visit the bottom are too agile for the frogs. Never even witnessed how a frog tried to grab a shrimp.

My substrate is JBL Manado, which is basically a non active version of Fluval Stratum but smaller grains (1-2mm).

Lighting is an Eheim Power LED with 16 Watts/1600 Lumen, a bit costly but a well worth investment for me. due to long warranty, energy efficiency and strong output.

For CO2 I just cook up my own sugar/cake topping base and mix it with yeast and water to produce the desired CO2 output via a ceramic diffusor. But I do plan on investing in a more professional pressure based CO2 system, so I can regulate it better.

Ferts I only use Easylife Profito 3ml daily and Easycarbo (basically EU-Version of Flourish Excel) 2ml daily.

Water changes are about 30%-50% per week, which amounts to a bucket or two, so not that much of a hassle. I plan is also to soften my water a bit up via a reverse osmosis system, so I can control some algae better and allow easier CO2 distribution for enhanced growth.

All in all, cost wise, this tank is pretty self sustaining. I sell plants, moss, snails and shrimp regularly and use the profits to invest in new equipment, food, ferts and plants.
>>
>>2163627
thats a bit overstocked lad
>>
>>2163630
Maybe, I seem to be able to get away with it, since the shrimp barely up the bioload and heavy planting and sufficient filtration keeps parameters very stable.
>>
Is it normal for cherry shrimp to ride around on top of a twig catfish?
>>
>>2163704
That sounds adorable, I hope you took pictures.
I'm not sure what a twig catfish is or how big it is.
>>
File: dirty tank.....jpg (2 MB, 2736x1824) Image search: [Google]
dirty tank.....jpg
2 MB, 2736x1824
I would like some recommendations for a larger fish for my 29 Gal community tank.

Right now I'm planning on (eventually) getting 6-8 neon tetras
4 Cory cats
and 1 bristle-nose pleco

I originally wanted to get a pair of Angelfish, but I'm afraid they'll try to eat my Neons.

Could anyone recommend a more peaceful "showpiece" fish for my tank?

So far I've been considering a pair of Dwarf Gouramis or a Bolivian Ram.

Thanks!
>>
>>2163181
Nothos.
>>
Anyone owned a mystery snail before? How much did they add to your bioload? How well did they clean algae?

I've heard they poop like crazy. I think they're quite cute but not worth it if I need to double cleanings. Would just one snail make much of an impact?
>>
>>2163727
Pearl gourami or kribensis would be my top picks. You could swap the neons for cardinal tetras or harlequin rasboras if you want the angelfish. Or, if you get the angels young, there's a good chance they'll never bother the neons anyway.

>>2163750
Very cool. Rachovii?

>>2163765
I haven't, but I've known people who did. They're fairly dirty for their size, and they aren't great at eating algae. They'll also eat soft-leaved plants sometimes.
Nerite snails are much cleaner and way better algae eaters, but hey lack the big antennae that give mystery snails their "personality."
With either one you'll need a tight fitting lid, because they can crawl out of the water.
It's really unlikely you'll need to double cleanings for one snail, but the overall impact will depend on how big your tank is.
>>
File: killi.png (463 KB, 1530x522) Image search: [Google]
killi.png
463 KB, 1530x522
>>2163777
>Rachovii
Supposedly. Here's the listing I got them from
>>
So I've been cycling my planted 5g in preparation for a betta and some shrimp for a while now. I bought some of those API test strips to test my parameters as it gets closer to time for the fish. They've been holding pretty steady at: NO3 and NO2 both at 0, pH at 6.5, KH at 40, and GH at 120. Does that all seem alright for me to go ahead and get my fish?
>>
>>2163787
How long has it been?
>>
>>2163727
Rams are a good idea if your parameters and temperature are up to par.

Kribs, pearl and dwarf gourami are ok aswell. As for angels, I wouldnt keep them in under 50gal, but thats just me.
>>
>>2163792
About a week of testing
>>
>>2163612

he's just the retard who posts every picture upside down to get people to think he's aussie or something
>>
>>2163787
NO3 at zero is suspicious. Do you know what the ammonia is at?
>>
>>2163843
The strips don't test that, but I've been having my brother save the water from my nephews tank when he does water changes to use in mine to kickstart everything. I'm suspicious of these test strips really, I'm not sure how accurate they really are.
>>
>>2162080
Anyone here have experience for treating ich in a freshwater tank with plants and inverts?
>>
>>2163869
I used salt and heat for flame tetras and it worked. That didn't work for upside down catfish, though, so I upsed Seachem Cupramine for them and that worked well. Cupramine isn't safe for inverts, but if you can remove them to a holding tank you could make it work.
>>
>>2163869
Look up the Esha brand - Esha Exit is the product you need. Best treatments I've ever used, that and Esha2000
>>
>>2163824
Too soon.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqZ46zdMX4&feature=youtu.be

What's the scoop on red-cap orandas? I've done some 'research' on them but almost everything that provides information on them, only goes into a short info blurb before talking about the other fancy goldfish breeds. Is their intestinal tract all fucked up like everyone else's? Do their wen's have nerve endings and should I cry when I trim it because the fish is feeling pain? How well do they get along with other goldfish?
>>
Will my betta be happier in his own 2.5 gallon or in a 20 gallon with 6 albino cories?
>>
>>2163994
>>
>>2163990
Their intestinal tract is the same as a regular fantail goldfish. It's very compacted, but as far as short-bodied goldfish go, orandas are among the healthiest.
You might have to pay more careful attention to water cleanliness, since the folds of the wen give a larger surface for potential bacterial infections.
Personally, the risk of hurting the fish while cutting the wen is high enough that I just wouldn't do it. They can get along fine without being able to see well as long as they're kept with other mellow varieties of goldfish. It usually just grows back anyway.

>>2163994
Put him in the 20 gallon.
>>
Is it worth getting the really hard to remove algae off tank decorations or not? I've never heard of it being detrimental to the fish and I don't care about aesthetics.
Also, what's the best way to get algae off silk plants?
>>
Hey guys, are aquarium LED lights supposed to be super fucking expensive? I want to setup a planted 10 gallon so I wanted a full-spectrum light. I paid 200 something dollars CAD for this thing by Current. It has a little remote and everything. It's cool and all but can't I just buy the light by itself and not the remote?
>>
>>2163727
for showpeice get a bunch of kuhli's, you could keep atleast 15 in that tank
>>
>>2164022
It isn't detrimental to the fish.
Best way if it's really stubborn would be boiling or bleach, but it might damage the silicone or affect the color.

>>2164023
That light is about half that in the US, but that could just be regional. That model is only made with the remote AFAIK.
>>
>>2164027
Kuhlis aren't exactly "showpiece" fish, there's no guarantee he'll see them most of the time even with that many

I keep 10 Kuhlis in a 40 breeder, and they only occasionally showed themselves even in a heavily planted tank. After rescaping and making the tank more open, I actually see them doing their little dances in a corner of the tank all the time instead of just hiding like before
>>
Fuck myself

Just got an ich outbreak in my 20 Gallon
>>
Ive got an existing tank that is gravel only substrate that I'd like to put live plants in. If I lay a soil base down, put my plants in, let it settle etc am I okay to put my fish straight back in or do I need to cycle the tank all over again?
>>
>>2163999
Really? I thought they liked there own little space. Hope he doesn't bully my catfish
>>
Someone convince me not to make a nano reef tank. I spend lots of money on my hobbies and I have had planted freshwater aquariums for years and I just want corals and motile inverts. I know I'll probably just make an algae ridden mess but the possibilities of it being beautiful no matter how small is still alluring. I have a 3 gallon rimless tank, a 7 gallon rimless tank and a 15 gallon standard tank laying around. I've been researching all evening and I'd actually planned out doing this about a year ago so I researched it extensively then.

Will I have to do like daily water changes or just top ups?
>>
File: fill.jpg (13 KB, 371x248) Image search: [Google]
fill.jpg
13 KB, 371x248
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have loads of these lying about.

Can I put them in my tank?
>>
>>2164089
as long as you don't have any fish you probably won't be changing water more than once a week or maybe once every 2 weeks.

You will be topping evaporation pretty often on a lidless system, invest in a good RO/DI unit.

there's no reason you shouldn't do it if you want. Just take your time. Get some sand and live rock in there and let it sit for a month or two with everything running. Then add some clean up crew if you like. Then start adding livestock very slowly.

Nano's without fish aren't that difficult in my opinion. Even with fish people make it more difficult than it needs to be by feeding every day or even several times a day.

I feed my fish twice a week, the rest of the time they hunt whatever they can find in the rock and sand. I think a lot of algae problems come from overfeeding fish.
>>
>>2164084
What plants do you want to use? You could just use root tabs.
>>
I've never cycled a tank in my life...
>>
>>2164089
Do more research bro, limit nutrients as much as possible an think about getting a bigger tank and running a sump.
>>
>>2164089
there are hang on the back refugiums and protien skimmers, as long as you are running something to pull excess detritus and nutrients out of the water and not overfeeding your tank your nitrates wont get out of hand. People think that reefing is hard but as long as you arent a retard its fairly straightforward, do 5-10% waterchanges weekly and depending on what corals you want you should dose some kalk.
>>
File: image_large.jpg (70 KB, 680x460) Image search: [Google]
image_large.jpg
70 KB, 680x460
Do you guys quarantine livestock?
>>
>>2164131

I dont have anything worth the additional setup.

tl;dr I'd rather lose all my stock than set up a quarantine tank
>>
>>2164133
I guess its more of a marine thing sence ich,hole in head, boryopsis, and various parasites can ruin thousands of dollars worth of stock
>>
>>2164073
Salt and heat man, salt and heat.
>>
File: pan_fried_fish2.jpg (112 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
pan_fried_fish2.jpg
112 KB, 500x361
>>2164140

Just like other times we handle fish
>>
>>2164073
>>2164131
:)
>>
File: 1360922056541.jpg (61 KB, 458x594) Image search: [Google]
1360922056541.jpg
61 KB, 458x594
>>2164143
KEK
That looks delicious tho...
>>
>>2164143
if your fish have ich its a quicker death desu
>>
>>2164104
What kind of fish would you suggest for a tank 10 gallons or less?
>>
>>2164168
Arapaima
>>
>late night walmart run
>walk past the fish center
>parrot cichlids and mollies are all scratching against the surfaces
>goldfish at the bottom are all covered in ich

jesus
>>
>>2164168
Dwarf cories
A betta
A dwarf gourami
Ember Tetras
Neon Tetras
Endlers
Otocinclus
Micro Rasboras (Chili, Galaxy etc)

Basically anything that's small.
>>
File: IMG_20160709_181344.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2336) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_181344.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2336
I just finished this tank! I live next to lake Kasumigaura in Japan, it's the country's second largest lake. I received the tank for free and I I thought it would be nice to do a local species tank. The plants, driftwood, mud, rocks and even water are collected from the lake and its tributaries. Little worms can be seen digging through the mud, and snails came with the duckweed. The fish were bought from a local fish shop that sells several species from the lake. I have Dojou loach and Medaka in here, and may expand with more species in the future. Dojou loach are a very charming fish, they do silly things like piling up on top of each other. Fish shops keep them in all their tanks because they help clean and are super chill. Medaka are also chill, and children keep them as first fish because they are hardy, clean, peaceful and small. They live in the rice fields, as do loach, and people have kept them for centuries. So far I've only spent about 15 bucks on this tank, and I'm very happy with how it's turning out.
>>
File: IMG_20160709_182128.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2336) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_182128.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2336
>>2164233
Another shot of the loach, there are four in the tank and ten medaka. The silly critter decided to wedge itself behind the filter for whatever reason.
>>
>>2164233
Cool idea. I'd love to keep local species too, but our streams and lakes are too cold to replicate the temperatures at home, unless you set up a pond in your yard.
>>
File: 20160709_150631.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160709_150631.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
Betta cost my 6 dollars

He's not the cutest but he's very playful.
>>
File: mybetta.jpg (544 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
mybetta.jpg
544 KB, 750x1000
sorry bout that
>>
>>2164178
I am so glad my town's walmart did away with their fish desu. Nothing breaks my heart like diseased, unhappy fish :(
>>
>>2164207
Whoops, I meant saltwater.
>>
>>2164233
>>2164234
Dojo loaches are social and shouldn't be kept alone. They also get up to 30 cm long.
>>
>>2164305
whys that veal tail tryna pretend its a halfmoon?
>>
>>2164348
personally I'd go with a tank raised neon dottyback or perhaps an ocellaris clown. Maybe a purple firefish, but they're more delicate.

If I was feeling really lazy I'd probably just go pick out a good looking damsel that doesn't get big. I like the Fiji blue devils, they're pretty much indestructible.

sticking a fish in a pico reef makes it harder to keep though. Water quality will suffer because fish produce a lot of waste.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.