[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a strange incident that keeps occurring, not really a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Honey_bee_Apis_mellifera.jpg (1 MB, 3161x2107) Image search: [Google]
Honey_bee_Apis_mellifera.jpg
1 MB, 3161x2107
I have a strange incident that keeps occurring, not really a problem but I'm finding it hard to believe.

>Recently went to local farm for berry picking
>I go every year as per tradition
>A part of this tradition is to buy a small container of fresh honeycomb to enjoy
>Bring it home, dip my finger into it and have the occasional taste
>ohgodyes.jpg
>Day goes on, but as I walk downstairs later on notice a single honeybee by the staircase
>Put him on my finger and rest him on a flower outside
>Wake up the next day
>The same bee is in the same spot
>Confused, I pick him up again and let him fly off outside
>next day
>The bee is inside AGAIN, this time closer to the container of honey
>No signs of other bees or nests whatsoever
>Just this little guy sitting around, not even flying

I'm pretty confused here, do bees get naturally attracted to any kinds of honey? I'm no bee expert here, but I know it's their source of food. Could he possibly be mixing up this honeycomb with his nest? Why is it always (presumably) the same bee anyways? As we speak he's just chilling out next to my desk, it's very strange.
>>
>>2161414
It could be a male bee. During certain times of the year the females of the hive kick the males out because males do not collect pollen and thus do not contribute to the hive.

Their sole function is to produce sperm to impregnate queens. Once that has been accomplished they either leave the hive and freeze/starve to death, or stay and be stung to death.
>>
Also, thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvqmD0CZao
>>
>>2161417
Geez, and I thought guys paying alimony had it rough. Is there any sure way to tell if it's male?
>>
File: Capture.png (554 KB, 488x526) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
554 KB, 488x526
>>2161417

Gave the little guy a piece of the wax from the comb.
He's just sorta checking it out with his antenna.
>>
>>2161429
Bees don't eat the wax, lol. Try mixing a drop or two of honey in with a teaspoon of water. Little thing is probably dehydrated.

>>2161421
I wouldn't know, personally, but I am sure there are image guides on google that could show you how to identify male vs female drone/queen.
>>
Turns out there was two.
I'm starting to think this might be a problem. On the other hand, I move in less than a week...
>>
>>2161421
males have big eyes that touch. look kinda like wraparound sunglasses
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.