[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Putting dog on vegan diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: s7ocutO.jpg (46 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
s7ocutO.jpg
46 KB, 500x668
What are your thoughts on this?
Information on brands that meets dog's nutritional needs?
Health risks?
Changing food portions?
>>
>>2160604
>Information on brands that meets dog's nutritional needs?
There are none
>>
It's a carnivore
It needs meat, it's evolved specifically to eat meat
It would not only be unhealthy but depressed if you didn't feed it meat
>>
>>2160605
I suppose there are no one size fits all for a dog's nutritional needs
>>
>>2160610
As long as the dog's dietary requirements are being met, why would it need to eat meat?
What specifically about not eating meat would make them depressed?
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 236x236
>>2160612
>As long as the dog's dietary requirements are being met, why would it need to eat meat?
The dogs dietary requirements ARE meat
>>
>forcing animals to follow retarded meme diets
>>
>>2160612
Clearly bait, but fuck it. Just how are you going to give a dog a healthy diet without any meat/meat-derived products? Hint, force-feeding it kilos of high-end tofu isn't going to end well. You're the one wanting to put these abusive and pointless restrictions on a dog's diet, you're the one who needs to do some research on why it'll never work.

And regarding a dog getting depressed, just look at the physical and mental state of people that become vegans - would you really want your dog turning out like that?
>>
>>2160614
You didn't answer my question. As long as the dog is consuming an adequate amount of calories, vitamins and minerals, protein, and breed specific supplements, wouldn't it be healthy even if it wasn't consuming meat?
>>
>>2160621
because it's intestine length will not suddenly change and adapt to consuming large amounts of plant matter
>>
>>2160621
In theory: yes, as long as the dog is consuming an adequate amount of calories, vitamins, minerals and proteins, the dong should remain healthy.

In practice: not the case.
>>
>>2160621
Feeding it a vegan diet is exactly like eating all your meat raw. Even if you don't eat meat, you would not be able to digest it raw. They will slowly die if you do not feed them a proper dog diet.
>>
Thankyou some of you for your input. You've helped me make this decision regarding the welfare of my dogs
>>
>>2160639
Fyi some vegan who had a huge following killed her dog recently trying to do this. Saw some hipster blog about it on youtube. The thing suffered and died because you stupid vegan shits don't understand that dogs need meat. Heck, I bet you're stupid enough to spend your sheckles on vitamins.
>>
>>2160612
>As long as the dog's dietary requirements are being met, why would it need to eat meat?

Devil is in the details, you won't be able to handle the requirements without some very careful planning and a good understanding of dietary science.

For starters, it's probably going to need a lot of protein supplementation and some fat supplementation, since plant-based foods tend to be too high in fiber and carbohydrates. Vitamin supplementation too.

Also, not sure how good dogs are at clearing phytochemicals and stuff like oxalates, either. Probably take a good bit of research to pull it off.
>>
>>2160971
I love how you idiots get emotional about things and then happily contribute to the suffering of animals. The guy has taken advice about something he cares in principle, you probably couldn't understanding caring about things beyond your most basic feelings.
>Cute dogs are cute but meat is yummy xd
Actually kill yourself you fucking hypocrite waste of life.
>>
File: steam_iron.jpg (57 KB, 800x684) Image search: [Google]
steam_iron.jpg
57 KB, 800x684
>>2161028
>>
File: 1397300816159.jpg (25 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
1397300816159.jpg
25 KB, 450x349
>>2161028
"you idiots get emotional" followed by:
>generic dehumanization of opponents
>I'm caring, you're all dumb and evil
>ACTUALLY KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>2161028
How am I a hypocrite?

I'm a vegetarian but i know how canine anatomy works
>>
>>2160604
>Putting dog on vegan diet
but why?
If you choose for yourself to be vegan, fine, it's your life. But dont be that kind of vegan cunt who wants to shove his picky eating habits down everyones throats. Dogs are carnivores. Let them be
>>
>>2161028
>happily contribute to the suffering of animals
You say this but still want to give a carnivore a vegan diet, are you trolling?
>>
> Many vegetarians and vegans feed healthful, meatless diets to their companion animals. One remarkable example is that of Bramble, a 27-year-old border collie whose vegan diet of rice, lentils, and organic vegetables earned her consideration by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest living dog in 2002. Studies have shown that the ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and kidney, heart, and bone problems, also affect many nonhumans.

PETA website
>>
>>2160604
Anon dogs come from an order called CARNIVORA, they have literally evolved to be meat eating killer animals, you are a fucking lunatic imposing your stupid veganism moral righteousness over an ACTUAL CARNIVORE AN ACTUAL CARNIVORE. Dog need meat you jackass they are programmed to want meat.

I once tried to feed my dog a fruit it just looked at it and left.
>>
File: kekcat.jpg (111 KB, 497x640) Image search: [Google]
kekcat.jpg
111 KB, 497x640
>>2161090
>PETA website
no surprise.
Those guys are a joke at best
>>
>>2161092
Fish live just fine in aquariums, eating fish flakes. Humans can eat cooked food, which is something that doesn't exist in nature. Birds have found a way to create their nests in buildings rather than trees.

What's to keep a dog from changing its lifestyle too?
>>
thing is the natural argument is not exactly valid as dogs are not naturally evolved wild animals they, like cats are meme creatures, a dog's canines did not evolve to tackle processed dog food, dogs don't hunt in packs anymore, they suck up to their human owners for food.
>>
>>2161096
What the fuck is your problem? The dog is not a human so you shouldnt be a little pussy and cry that animals have to die to feed your dog thats just nature also dogs have different digestive tracks from humans because they are CARNIVORES. Honestly you vegans are disgusting you maniacs want to make all animals eat plants fucking nutjobs.
>>
>>2161098
>dogs don't hunt in packs anymore
You must have seen wild dog packs in bad neighborhoods.
>>
>>2161094
give evidence, cite source = argument
state opinion = opinion
>>
>>2161102
you got dog?
you let it hunt in pack?
or do you just feed it standard food?
>>
>>2161090
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_dogs#cite_note-Guinness_World_Records-7
>"The source is purported to be GWR however no edition or page number is provided. Editors are encouraged to find and update entries for each dog if they have access to past editions: Guinness World Records"

Pretty sure PETA's the only 'source' in that, bucko. Every other link I've seen regarding Bramble's a Vegan site, no mention of it even in the comments on GWR's own website.
>>
>Putting dog on vegan diet
If you wanted your dog dead then rat poison or just shooting it would be quicker.
Humans can be vegans but fuck you if you impose your shitty beliefs onto a animal that needs meat and is not self aware.

I have been feeding my sisters vegan cat meat when she is not around.
At least it does not look like a corpse anymore.
>>
>>2161107
>vegan cat
>cat
Cats are hypercarnivores they literally can only eat meat, your sister should have that cat removed from her.
>>
>>2160604
Come back when synthetic meat is commercially available and cheap.
>>
File: 1402429029159.jpg (8 KB, 249x244) Image search: [Google]
1402429029159.jpg
8 KB, 249x244
>>2161090
>PETA
>mfw

>>2161096
>Humans can eat cooked food
Cooked food is easier to digest for humans and is actually key to why we are so successful as a species.
Dogs can eat some non meat food but their diet is mostly meat, stop trying to force your shitty ideals onto an Animal.
>>
>>2161103
To spell it out clearly for you: PETA isnt a trustworthy source for anything. They have an agenda and view any through extreme confirmation bias. Dont even get me started on how hypocritical and harmful they are.

All that aside, a single vegan dog who became old doesnt prove anything. Nobody says that it will necessarily kill your dog. Thats besides the point
>>
>>2161112
Wanna hear the best part? She is not even Vegan herself.
>>
>>2161103
Anecdote != Evidence
>>
>>2161112
My cat eats a little cucumber from time to time. But those are pretty much just water
>>
>>2161103
>give evidence, cite source = argument
thats true, but you didnt do that

>state opinion = opinion
Thats what you did. You cited PETAs opinion

Now kys, PETA shill
>>
>>2161096
Fish only live fine in aquariums kept in the same pH/temp as their natural habitat and fish flakes are made of other fish, which is what they eat in the wild

A nest a bird builds in a building is exactly the same as one in a tree. They did not have to change or evolve to build nests in buildings

Humans can eat raw meat. There is literally nothing stopping someone from eating raw meat. Cooked meat is easier to digest and heating it kills bacteria that could cause disease which is why we typically cook our meat. Why do you think people eat rare steaks? Also why we can eat sushi, which is literally raw fish. There aren't many diseases fish have that humans can catch so it's safer to eat it raw
>>
>>2161120
Cats will eat a lot of things humans will gave them but does not mean it is good for them.

I think I read an article that cats are not able to taste sweet things because it might distract them from meat.
>>
>>2161120
Hypercarnivores have 70% of their diet made up of meat. There's nothing wrong with cats eating plant matter as long as the majority of their diet is meat
>>
>>2161121
I never understood how PETA is still viewed in a good life, I have a cousin who talks about going Vegan, he sends me PETA links all the time and will not listen when I tell him PETA kills a lot of cats and dogs.

He thinks they are epitome of animal rights activists/
>>
>>2161090
>One dog didn't die on a vegan diet so that means it's healthy!

Animals have different genes so just 'cause one dog was able to survive on it it doesn't mean most other dogs will

And just because it didn't die doesn't mean it was healthy. Length of life =/= quality of life
>>
>>2161115
>Nobody says that it will necessarily kill your dog

that would be a good point if not for stupid comments like these⤵

>>2161107
>If you wanted your dog dead then rat poison or just shooting it would be quicker.

>>2160627
>They will slowly die if you do not feed them a proper dog diet.
>>
>>2161127
I understand how you feel. I'm a vet student who wants to help poor animals and owners and help with animal conservation. This vegan on Twitter went off on me for eating meat and said I actually don't care about animals. Apparently sharing Tumblr posts about incorrect information is better activism than actually providing animals veterinary care
>>
>>2161130
You're just gonna kick and scream until the thread dies aren't you?
We get a lot of your types on /an/.
>Help my dog is sick
>Take it to the vet
>FUCK YOU I AM NOT DOING THAT, VETS KILL ANIMALS I WILL DO WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO ALL ALONG BUT FOR SOME REASON I POSTED HERE.
If you want to murder your pet, then feed it Vegan and fuck off.
>>
>>2161123
I dont think it is bad for her. She seems to like the taste and there is nothing about cucumbers that a cat couldnt digest. But yeah, just brought it up to share this weird observation. Of course kitty eats 95% meat
>>
if anybody could give me a scientific source that says dogs need meat then I will consider, until then, I can't really rely on emotional reaction and opinion.

>>2161099
what's a digestive 'track' ?
u need skol lol
>>
>>2161127
I thought they became notorious for all their bullshit even amongst the most ignorant normies by now.
>>
>>2161139
I was not chastising you for feeding her cucumber as long as it is treat or just a something you find funny every so often.
>>
>>2161134
prove me wrong dickhead
>>
>>2161143
Nope, still a shining beacon of veganism apparently.
Their cruelty videos circulated facebook all the time.
>>
>>2161130
That doesnt even matter. You made a non-argument by citing a shitty source anyway
>>
>>2161145
Nope you have had the whole board arguing with you and providing facts.
Your right in your own mind and if your pet could speak and tell you to stop feeding it crap, you will tell him he is wrong.

Enioy inflicting cruelty to animals.
>>
>>2161142
Google "dog omnivore" or "dog carnivore", the results are literally the same thing, that dogs are in fact carnivorous by nature.
>>
>>2161090
PETA thinks all human created breeds are abominations that must die.
>>
>>2161130
Every single time I see a vegan go full retard, I want to believe they don't represent all vegans... but I never see anything else besides these quasi-narcissistic circular arguments and stubborn rejection of basic facts. I'm starting to think veganism is just a rallying point for mentally-ill would-be altruists with no personality or otherwise discernible characteristics to define themselves.
>>
>>2161146
>Their cruelty videos circulated facebook all the time.
They arent even subtle about there propaganda, arent they? Thats just disgusting.

>if you find this nitpicked video repulsive, join the army. heil peta
>>
>>2161151
I cant tell you whats the minority or majority here, but I definitely know vegans who dont act morally superior and are very subtle about it.
>>
>>2161148
it's a she and she is a cat and I feed her processed meat.
I have met perfectly healthy, happy vegetarian dogs, healthier than many meat eating dogs, I thought it was a well known fact that you can omit meat from a dog's diet. As for vegan diet, not entirely sure but probably OK if done correctly.
I think the word vegan rubs people up the wrong way and that's what this is partly about, also nobody likes the idea of being wrong so they create a strong sense of their way being the righteous one.
Please provide a link to some text made by a professional if you wish to try and convince me otherwise.
this took seconds: http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2014/jan/can-dogs-stay-healthy-on-a-vegetarian-diet-31188
I hate bad logic and knee-jerk argumentativeness.
if dogs could talk, eh?
>>
>>2161090
>believing anything PETA shits out without a valid and reputable source
How retarded are you?
>>
who /highhorse/ here?
>>
File: strawberry feels.png (51 KB, 1231x540) Image search: [Google]
strawberry feels.png
51 KB, 1231x540
>>2161151
Religion is on decline. There have always been that many fact-ignoring nutjobs, they were just part of a different circlejerk. And at least from where I am, veganism, religion and esotericism go hand in hand. We need to contain them, else humanity will always be fucked.
>>
>>2161096

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-fire-makes-us-human-72989884/?no-ist

Educate yourself
>>
>>2161177
Actually anon, religion is growing because of Islam and sand "people" shitting out 15 kids
>>
>>2161177
Yeah I suppose so, despite a rise in *tips fedora* atheism, people don't embrace muh science and logic, they simply transfer to new forms of fanaticism and ever-flimsier notions of community and cohesion
>>2161180
True also, but religion in whites is definitely taking a nosedive. It may not even have much of an impact of course if this demographic crisis in the West keeps up
>>
>>2161096
Yes, and I bet you think goldfish are happy in a fucking uncycled bowl when they need 20 gallons per fish and NEED to be in a proper aquarium or a good-sized pond.

For fuck's sake, unless you're an animal nutritionist with a ton of cash to burn on a very pointless experiment, don't feed your dog vegan shit.
>>
>>2161168
That doesn't seems like proof it's just two sentences saying veganism is possible.
>>
I can't believe what I'm reading. Dogs are carnivores, they are meat eaters, and get everything they need from meat. Next you'll be trying to mate 2 males, because muh genderfluid.

PLEASE remove yourself from the gene pool op.
>>
>>2161028

I was the original poster this person is responding to. This is has to be a troll, no one is really this stupid.

>The guy has taken advice about something he cares in principle

This is my first problem, if he cares he will talk to a fucking VET about the radical diet he wants to feed his dog. Not come to 4chan. If you give a shit about your animals wellbeing you take it seriously, not ask randoms who for all you know, have no idea what they are talking about.

Also going to reiterate what this person points out.>>2161071 You have zero self awareness if you're not intentionally being ironic. I think you have huge problems in your life if you're using this sort of logic. You may an intellectual disability and I'm not trying to be spiteful, you just need to consider this as being likely.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.