[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Abandoned Baby Hare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: bune.jpg (257 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
bune.jpg
257 KB, 1024x681
Oh boy, it's this thread again.

Found two baby hares just now next to a third dead one plus their dead mother. Took those two fuckers home and checked what to do.
According to the law where i live, you are not allowed to keep injured or abandoned animals for longer than 48 hours and need to contact a shelter. I will do that in the morning but they are still young enough to still suckle and i am not sure they will survive the night.
What i didn't find was answer on what to feed them.
I do have baby formula at home that contains mostly wheat and grains.
Pic related is not mine.
>>
>>2160041
Checked some more. Apparently i need milk substitute. Everything is closed at this hour.
What do?
>>
Take them to the vet
>>
>>2160043
I plan to in the morning but everything is closed right now, i called all places i could find
>>
>>2160042

24 hour convenience stores sell powdered milk usually.
>>
Please do not feed them powdered milk or milk formulas they can not digest it cuz its different from the rabbit milk they would eat. Just give them warm water or warm pedialite its more important to keep them hydrated until you can take them to a rehabilitator. You can do more harm then good by giving them the wrong food.
>>
>>2160052
I'll do my best. The bigger one does not like my presence at all, the smaller one is only slightly scared of me. I am not even sure how i am going to give him water, i could scare him to death.
>>
>>2160053
They wont die if you dont feed them, but if their eyes are open you can leave a shallow pan of water. If they are closed, very gently hold them and give them water orally with a syringe or eye dropper; just one or two mL. Also, if you could keep them in a warm, dark quiet area, like a shoebox with a towel on a heating pad. Warmth is very important too, and dont put the heating pad directly on the rabbits; just put it under the box. Try to handle them as little as possible to avoid stress. I realize this may sound contradictory but try to do it all in one fell swoop and let them rest for the night. If you could contact the rehabilitator and leave a message, they will appreciate it and can prepare an area for them to receive care as soon as possible. Thank you for caring about these rabbits!
>>
>>2160057
First thing i did when i got home was to place them in a box with a towel.
Their eyes are open. I did handle them to make them be more ok with my presence. I didn't see how else i was supposed to give them water. I did manage to give them some with an eye dropper before you posted, and moisturized their lips at least. They seem way more calm.
I'll leave a tray of water and get some sleep for now before i call the vets in the morning.
Good night all and thanks for the help.

Hares are fucking retarded i swear to god.
>>
>>2160057
Seriously though. Are you sure i can't feed them? What will i do if this happen again in the future?
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 273x184
whatever illness killed the sibling and the mother, they likely have too.

the best you can do is keep them hydrated and hope they pull through the night

but my bet is that omae wa mou shindeiru
>>
>>2160085
Cats. I dont have any. There was a piece of flesh missing from the neck of the dead baby one.
>>
I wonder if this link may be of any help

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

No guarantees on anything. I am not a vet.
>>
>>2160089

Oh, oops. That link says it's for domestic rabbits.

They link to this site though

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

I hope the rehabber you take them to won't end up using them for bird food (apparently that's a thing :( )
>>
>>2160090

>I hope the rehabber you take them to won't end up using them for bird food (apparently that's a thing :( )

I got that from the site, btw. They say:

>If you are helping this bunny because you feel sorry for it, I prefer you not leave it off at wildlife centers that take in birds of prey and small carnivores for reasons I will not dwell on. Find a rehabilitator that cares for only wild rabbits and squirrels. Avoid facilities that have multiple volunteers caring for individual cottontails - that never works out well. Avoid surrendering the bunny to people who are unpleasant or speak badly about other wildlife rehabilitators. Bunnies are very attune to the personalities of their caregivers. They like calm, pleasant, nurturing people.

Really hard to know what to do... I don't mean to give you information overload or confuse you or anything so I'll leave now.
>>
Bad news everyone.
Called the community, all said no, no one will take them.
All vets are closed. The one responsible for local wildlife suggested i should kill them.

What do i do now? Feed them or kill them?
>>
>>2160295
Went back to the field where i found them. Another hare parent are unlikely to care for them given how fucking retarded they are.
Judging from >>2160090 article i say there is a 50/50 chance of survival. They seemed more energetic today than last night and still scared shitless of me. They'll either actually survive or get eating by a fox or a cat, in which case the circle of life continue.

You all were helpful but it were for nothing, sadly.
Reason for why neither community nor vets would take them is because the animal laws in my country are ridiculous. PETA did good work here during the 70's and 80's. And as we all know animal rights = never interact with nature or helping injured animals.
As a result, no one knows fucking anything to care for wild animals other than leaving them be. You are not allowed to have ANY kind of wild animal as pets, no foxes, badgers, squirrels, wild bunnies etc (unless you intend to use them for fur farms, which is double retarded). Exotic animals like lynx or tigers are super illegal and you can't get a license for them unless you are an owner of a zoo.

Fuck PETA. Seriously, thank you guys. You were greater help than any veterinarian would have been. I figured that you of all places on 4chan would be the most caring.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.