[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anal Glands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I got my dog's anal glands expressed at the vet's last month. The tech who did it told me they were "extremely full".

Well fast forward to today, and I've bee noticing him whimpering to go outside a lot, doing some scooting, and licking at his butt a lot. So maybe he needs them expressed again. I take him to the vet, and the tech this time said the glands were incredibly full, expressing them caused him pain, and the discharge was "chunky". They suggested that I may need to have them expressed every two weeks.

Is this fucking normal??? All the techs at the vet seemed to say it was normal, and some dogs just dont have the anatomy to express them the natural way. This is my first dog, so I don't have a frame of reference, so is this true? Should I get a second opinion on this? Has anyone else had a dog in a similar situation?
>>
>>2159968
is his poop soft? try feeding food that causes firm stool, the glads then get cleaned with each shit.
>>
>>2159968
My foster dog had somewhat chunky glands that need to be expressed. Not that often, but it is not unheard of. If your dog isn't difficult, see if you can ask the vet to show you how to do it so you can do it yourself.

I just brought my dog to the vet to get it done because fuck that.
>>
>>2159971
No. His poop is pretty firm.

>>2159972
So not unheard of, huh? That makes me feel better. This just seems really strange to me.

My vet charges 15 dollars for it and I don't need an appointment for it too. For how revolting I have heard it is to do, I will fork over the 15 bucks.
>>
>>2159989

well, you know, it involves inserting a finger and applying pressure. it smells how you would expect but worse than you expect.
>>
>>2160120

i should say, the finger insertion isn't always necessary. you can do it from external pressure as well in most cases.
>>
My dog goes through the same thing. She's old (almost 14 years) and that's her only health problem, so I guess I should be thankful, I guess. But whenever she's noticeably distressed I take her into the vet, and more often than not the vet-tech describes the discharge as "chunky," just like your pupper's. She's always so happy coming back from the vet, but I can't help but feel bad for how awful she must've felt before getting them expressed.
I've heard small dogs have this problem more often than others, and that it's not at all uncommon. Like you, I haven't bothered to learn how to express them myself, despite my dog having had this problem for 2+ years now. It's just easier to take her to the vet.
>>
God damn dogs and dogfags are disgusting
>>
It's weird, anon, I've had it happen before but I wouldn't say it's super common. I've had three dogs. Our first dog had to get her anal glands expressed on a regular basis. Like every couple months. Our second dog had to have it done one time, but it was an isolated incident. Our third dog is 6 years old and hasn't had this happen yet.

I guess it's kind of random, I think some breeds may be more prone to it than others.
>>
>>2160433
Afternoon, Ahmed
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.