[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My First Guinea Pigs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: keisukeryosuke1.png (854 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
keisukeryosuke1.png
854 KB, 1200x675
Hey everyone. I just bought two Guinea Pigs, Keisuke and Ryosuke, and I saw a few online guides on how to take care of them but /an/ tends to come up with really good tips on how to tend to pets. What are certain things I should do to make sure they're happy and healthy? Are there speciic foods I should focus on, or avoid? Can they be fed mostly on rations or should try to balance it out with vegetables? I read that they like carrots and bellpeppers, and so far I had success trying the former. I also cut pieces of a big fleece sheet I had stored around and made some soft zones for them to rest on, including a comfortable nest of sorts. Any other tips, advices, anything?

As far as interactions went, Ryosuke (the black one) is pretty amiable and has been accepting of carresses and treats, and doesn't really seem to be all too nervous about touching or even being moved around. Keisuke on the other hand seems to sort of freeze up, staring blankly while making purr-like noises when he's being caressed. It's hard to tell if he's scared shitless or enjoying it and just happens to be too quiet for his own good. Otherwise, both have been eating and drinking regularly and are adapting to their new home.
>>
Bump?
>>
Hey man, I've had a guina pig back in time but it didnt last long. Anyway, the lil guys like carrots, apple and many more vegetable. With that they tend to poop a lot and it it up again but it's normal. Make sure they drink and eat regularly, if they don't it's a bad sign.

They're top tier cute and fun to play with so have fun with them !
>>
Cute guinea pigs. The left one (keisuke?) looks very fluffy
>>
File: Lucky Pig.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
Lucky Pig.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
It's good you have two. A single will just hide all day, two can chase each other around and are much happier.
A big homemade pen is better than the biggest pet store cage, and cheaper too; look up "C&C cage". Guineas cannot climb and have no sense of adventure, my pen is more of a symbolic barrier but they never hop out. Some sort of heat pad or hot rock is not strictly necessary, but mine like it.
Give them plenty of hay. Consider buying a bale of horse hay, it's almost as good and vastly cheaper than the little bags at the pet store. Give them something fresh to eat every day. Imported vegetables in the winter (do you do winter where you live?), weeds and grass in the summer. Or just put them out on the lawn if safe and practical.
The fluffy one might need a bath every month or three. Do it in the sink, with fancy pet store rodent shampoo. Be careful they don't get hot or cold as they dry out after. They tend to be pretty tough in the cold (when dry!) but cannot take the heat at all.
Weigh them on a kitchen scale regularly, like when you clean the pen. It's hard to tell when their sick and weight loss will be your first hint.
>but you're on the right track, seems yours are lucky too
>>
>>2158996
>>2159184

Thanks, I'm working on building a better cage of sorts with the idea of a C&C cage in mind for them. There's not really snowy winter around here, I live in Brazil, but during January and the early months of the year we have some constant rains and colder climates. There's a park lot not too far from here so even collecting them some tall grass shouldn't be an issue, it's a clean park anyway. I've noticed they've started squeaking once being petted, is that a good sign? What do their sounds usually represent?
>>
>>2158708
Limit carrots to every other day and bell peppers to twice a week. Romaine lettuce you can give them daily, but don't give them iceberg lettuce or cabbage. Also make sure they have timothy hay available at all times.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.