[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /an/ I am in need of some advice. My girlfriend has two
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: IMAG0025.jpg (677 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0025.jpg
677 KB, 1520x2688
Hello /an/ I am in need of some advice.
My girlfriend has two ferrets(female), and one of them had pancreas cancer. We take good care of both of them, the one with cancer takes medicine twice a day every day to regulate its blood sugar. Recently we both have noticed he sick ferret had been losing weight despite the fact that it eats well every day. We also noticed that she is losing fur in places too. My girlfriend texted me today telling me the sick ferret had a bout of diarrhea in the middle of the living room, which is usual because she ferret normally uses the litter box or a puppy pad in the corner, even when she has diarrhea any other time. My girlfriend asked me my opinion on putting the ferret down soon. She gets really depressed when I bring it up so it surprised me that she brought it up this time. My question: based on the given information, when would be the right time to put the poor ferret down? Should I keep up the medicine and see if she improves? She was diagnosed with the cancer a few months ago and has been slowly declining ever since.

Pic related. The sick one is the brown one.
>>
>>2158517
It's a really tough decision, OP.
I personally waited a long time to put my cat down. It wasn't until she had an awful seizure that I could bring myself to go to the vet for the put-down. I regret not doing it sooner, it was selfish of me. She was in pain when she went because I waited.

My point is, I guess, that you guys will feel like shit no matter what, whether she dies naturally or by drugs. Either way she will die and it will be awful for you guys, but you can make it less painful. Plan the day before and make it the best day possible together. Then you got to let her go.

Feel for you, good luck.
>>
Thank you for the advice. I'm gonna talk to my girlfriend when she gets off work and discuss what she wants to do.

Anyone happen to know any great homemade treats I can make for the little fuzz butt? Something I can give her that she would love? Doesn't necessarily have to be healthy as it would be a last day treat. But I also Don't want to feed her anything that would kill her.
>>
>>2158565
Raw meat
>>
Hi, what is the vet opinion on this? I mean does he thinks the ferret is suffering? And what is his explanation for the slow declining? I mean normally, with a good treatment, you could have hoped for a better life for your ferret, not this. Do you absolutely trust your vet 100%?

For a nice treat you have egg yolk, duck grease, salmon oil, ... Maybe mix meat like beef with duck grease if she likes meat.

Also is she still playing? I know it can be difficult to say, but does she seems to enjoy her life? What is she telling you, or telling your girlfriend if she is closer to her? Sometimes you just know when it's time.
>>
OP here. The ferret had a seizure earlier today about an hour ago. She also vomited up her medicine when I tried to give it to her and she is looking very pale. I Don't want the little fuzz butt to suffer anymore. My girlfriend and I decided to let her go so she won't be in pain anymore. The vet did not sound surprised when I called. Thank you all for the advice and input. I say goodnight to you, Tiky the ferret.
>>
>>2158803
I'm so sorry Anon, you're making the most difficult choice of all, and you're choosing right. Dook in peace Tiky.

And a lot of hugs to the remaining one. Watch carefully over her as she could be depressed and confused.
>>
It's a tough call to make. Dook in peace, Tiky. I'm so sorry for your loss, anon.

And as another anon pointed out, please watch the other ferret carefully. I had two ferrets and when one died, her companion became severely depressed and wasn't eating enough, etc. We had to give her extra attention, some special food to keep her weight up, and we soon got two more ferrets to keep her company (even though it felt too soon to get another.) You might need to do something similar. Ferrets get really attached to their companions so the loss of their buddy hits them really hard.
>>
>>2158803
F
>>
I had an albino ferret that was 4 when I adopted him. I found out later he had pancreas cancer. If I ever woke him up by touching him he would have a seizure. Also, any time one of my other pets would wake him up he would also have a seizure. Apparently if you don't let them wake on their own or do anything to startle them, their blood sugar will quickly lower and have seizures.

His longest one lasted 2 hours and it was his last. The next morning he passed. During the seizures I would wrap him up in a towel, hold him so we couldn't harm himself and with a q-tip with small amounts of honey I would rub it on him gums. After the honey got in his system he would snap out of it.

Its a sad thing to see him go through that. I wish I would've put him down sooner :(
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.