[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good service dogs? I want to adopt a puppy and train him as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 20160625_171630.jpg (200 KB, 510x419) Image search: [Google]
20160625_171630.jpg
200 KB, 510x419
Good service dogs?

I want to adopt a puppy and train him as a service dog. Ex military/ptsd/etc

I really like the way Brindle dogs look... I prefer larger short hair breeds like mastiff.

What are your suggestions for breeds to look for? Also I'm male, want male dog as well, that shouldn't make any difference though right?

Also can anyone identify pic related, and would it be a good service dog?
>>
>>2156874
Also a big fan of huskies... I live in the Midwest though so summers are very hot. And I like border collies personalities... Very loyal. Just wish they were a lot bigger
>>
by the time it finished proper service dog training half it's life would be over.
>>
Honestly you're better going through a service. Not every dog is fit for service, no matter how much love and work you put into then. Even professionally raised dogs sometimes flunk out right at the end because they couldn't cut it. If that happens to you, what then? You've already grown attached and spent a long while without a proper companion. Are you just going to start over?

There are plenty of groups that train dogs specifically for PTSD-afflicted soldiers, including ones that'll help subsidize the cost. If you just want a pet, go on your own. Otherwise seek them out.

Also a husky is excitable, loud, and stubborn. Not really service dog material.
>>
>>2156904
I see... Most services that I've checked with have long wait lists... I also thought training the dog myself would be good for bonding as well
>>
>>2156911

If you buy a puppy, it'll take several years (3-4) for it to get out of the puppy stage and be trained properly. It's pretty well a guarantee that you're going to end up waiting significantly longer for an animal on your own.

And bonding from puppyhood is great and all, but it's not as if you won't get a close bond with an adult dog as well (just ask anyone who's rescued theirs). That, and I don't know how many dogs you've had but a puppy is literally a baby that requires a ton of care. That's a lot of stress to take on if you're in a fragile state.

To your other questions, a male dog is larger and heavier than a female. However, especially if it's neutered, there's generally not going to be a massive difference. And mastiffs (pretty well all of them) are not a great choice for this kind of work. They're a wet-mouthed breed with a short lifespan known for stubbornness and animal aggression. As bland as labs can be there's a reason they, and breeds like them, are the standards.
>>
Your best bet might be a boxer. It's not the ideal but they're a nice moderate size, give you the look you want, and a lot of service agencies have had success with them. Plus with their popularity you have a better chance of finding one in training than something rarer like a mastiff.
>>
Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'll go ahead and sign up with one of the companies who train service dogs for vets... Seems the way to go
>>
>>2156937

Best of luck to get a short wait!
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.