[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so there's something that's been bothering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
Alright, so there's something that's been bothering me.

>be dude

>loves pets

>one day, pet gets in a freak accident that i couldn't have stopped

>go online for help

>tell story

>50 replies about how "I shouldn't have let this happen" and how I'm an irresponsible pet owner who should die

Why the FUCK do 'animal rights activists' do this? I've even seen it on our very own /an/.
>>
>>2156375
because /an/ and animal rights groups consist of a bunch of hatchet wounds for whom moral signalling is a safe and effective way to assert superiority and climb their own localized clique ladders.

Same reason why a vid on youtube of someone petting an animal will invariably have at least 10 female commentors sobbing
>you don't pet them that way they'll get psychological damage this is super cereal whyyyy?!?
>>
>>2156375

Sounds like /an/ to be honest. I see threads all the time where people are asking for help, and /an/ goes batshit because not everyone can afford proper healthcare or keep their arm up their dog's ass to prevent it moving more than a few inches away from them.

People are crazy, man. If you genuinely love and respect your animal, it's more than likely gonna be just fine. Millions of dogs are in loving homes that haven't done socialization and obedience and taught the basic 9 commands. It works itself out.

Animal nuts need to relax a bit.

And I did do 8 months of 2hr/week socialization and AKC Star Citizen so don't start giving me shit, /an/ you fucking hippies.
>>
>>2156375

Because most of /an/ and, by extension, 4chan, is autistic and can't comprehend that people's actions can be unintentional.

Sorry about your pet, anon.
>>
>>2156398
Oh, my pet is fine. It's just in general, I've seen this happen to tons of other people.
>>
It's hard to say where the golden mean goes.

Kind of how there is a limit to how much airplane maintenance can be done. Sure they could ground each plane for days after each flight, to check every nook and cranny, but it would be uneconomical and impractical. As a result we have some airplane crashes (exaggerating for effect).

Where is the line between too much and too little? It varies between people. And of course some people are just being asses.
>>
Just fags being fags
>>
I mean, it depends what it is. Sometimes ripping into someone over that stuff is retarded, but sometimes it also IS the persons fault.

What happened anyway?
>>
>>2156426

Most people don't research pets before they buy them. They don't know about training dogs, or stimulating cats, or dangerous substrates for reptiles, or gerbils eating anything that's not metal .... This is normal. You can't tear someone's ass out for it. It was an accident. What you do is give them resources for information to keep it from happening again. I assure you, they will learn from their mistakes. Simply pointing someone to the key phrase "care sheet" is all you need. "gerbil care sheet" "ball python care sheet" "parakeet care sheet" ... that's it. Your job is done. Any person that looks at a care sheet is already above par in caring for their pet.
>>
>>2156450
>You can't tear someone's ass out for it.
If it's as easy as googling "[animal]+care sheet", you bet your ass I can.
>>
>>2156450
Honestly, if you don't research the pet before you buy it, or at least soon after you buy it, you deserve to get your ass torn out (figuratively). It's not hard to google basic care requirements. Just because a behavior is common, doesn't mean it's okay.

Freak accidents happen, but if you do stupid shit and something suffers for it, you should be called on it.
>>
>>2156389
You shouldn't own an animal if you cannot afford to keep it healthy though, that is basic common sense.

Nobody who gets a dog they cannot care for properly actually loves or respects animals.

>>2156450
Utter nonsense, there is no excuse for buying an animal without doing the research. If lots of people do it that just means lots of people are lazy and immoral.
>>
>>2156648
>Freak accidents happen, but if you do stupid shit and something suffers for it, you should be called on it.
While I whole heartedly agree with this statement, I feel you have to take in account the fact that this is 4chan, so you dont even get the luxury of having an accident. No matter what happens, someone on this board will say you are a shit owner, period. Add to the fact that they can't even put themselves in someone else's position, or even consider the possibility that they may be mistaken, and it creates a rather toxic environment.
Of course if you showed up here expecting an atta boy or a hug box you've already fucked up, but really it seems like there is no middle ground on /an/ and no matter what you are a horrible pet owner a shitty person, and you need to take it to the vet.
>>
>>2156650
Doesn't help though that a lot of people start with 'my dog is sick but I cannot afford the vet'.

After that they deserve every horrible thing /an/ says to them.
>>
There is a big difference between freak accidents that just happen because of already shit luck, and freak accidents that could have easily been prevented.

/an/ typically tears up people for preventable shit. Also, "only get a pet if you can afford it" is an idea really central to this board.
>>
>>2156649
>>2156648
>>2156637

I'm not saying it's okay. I'm saying it is normal. And it is not malicious. Save the ass-tearings for the people setting cats on fire. If it's not malicious, then there is no reason to be an arrogant dick about it.

Think about your first pet and all the mistakes you made even AFTER combing over hours of pages on the internet on the "right way" to do things. You can't replace hands-on experience with care sheets. You know damn well that you screwed up at least 3 things with that first pet - of each species. First gecko, first dog, first hamster, etc. You just have to experience them, and every pet is different with their own personality, so even care sheets only go so far.
>>
>>2156650
>even consider the possibility that they may be mistaken

Assumptions run absolutely rampant here. For example, I am a professional reptile breeder. And I was showing some pictures of eggs in Reptile Gen and talking about my wife fawning all over them. And someone wrote up 3 paragraphs educating me on proper husbandry (like this was my first pet and I was 12) because I aid my wife didn't know where the incubator substrate was in the cabinet. It was like ... what the fuck?
>>
>>2156651
>I cannot afford the vet'.
>they deserve every horrible thing /an/ says to them.

There is no reason you can't go to other people and ask about, say, a rash under your dog's arm. They aren't looking for professional care. They are asking for people's personal experiences.

This happens on forums EVERYWHERE. It is a common exchange of information. It's what the internet is for.

It sucks that they're poor, and their fault for not knowing the actual expense of a dog when they got it, but if you're going to yell at them just for being poor instead of trying to help the animal, then who is the real asshole there?
>>
>>2156653
Yeah, I have screwed up with my first animals. But I researched enough such that those screw ups were pretty minor and harmless. And the one bad one I had, I was on the phone with my vet prepared to rush my dog over to the vet at a moment'S notice. I didn't need to sit on /an/ pleading for advice. I was ready to rush my dog to the emergency room.
>>
>>2156658
It's how it is communicated. If you have been here long enough, you'll see two kinds of threads about animal sickness. Let's use your rash example.

>My dog has this horrible rash but I am too cheap/poor to take it to the vet.
>My dog has this horrible rash. She has a vet appointment in a few days. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

The only time people bash #2 is when they don't read the thread. In my general experience, we only tear people new asshole if they refuse to acknowledge vetinary treatment as an option.

Not taking your pet to the vet when it absolutely needs to is animal abuse. That simple.
>>
>>2156652
>/an/ typically tears up people for preventable shit
No. /an/ typically uses any excuse to criticize and belittle somebody. The handful of knowledgeable people that can and do give good advice will do what you say, but they are far from the majority.
This board is populated by trolls, kids, and fools. This should be a given considering we are on everybody's favorite taiwanese finger painting website.
>>
>>2156375
>freak accident
Please explain

>go online for help
/an/ isn't your vet. You should always go to the vet when something happens and use /an/ for tips and 2nd opinions
>>
>>2156450
No, what's normal is thinking "hmm, I want a parrot. How do I take care of one?", not buying a giant macaw as a first time bird owner then wondering why it's bald and screaming after a week.
>>
>>2156658
>help

But when the animal needs a vet urgently and all they can say is 'im poor' then yes they deserve to be criticised.

>>2156665
>giving a damn about animals and realising only irresponsible assholes buy animals without extensive research makes you a troll, a kid or a fool

The only troll here is you.
>>
>>2156672
>giving a damn about animals and realising only irresponsible assholes buy animals without extensive research makes you a troll, a kid or a fool
No, the trolls, kids, and fools start bait threads, respond to posts simply to argue, or just suck at reading comprehension and make false assumptions.
Considering you just hit 2 out of 3 this pretty much makes you the troll.
>>
>>2156685
I am not the one implying that most of the criticism of animal neglect here is motivated by immaturity, stupidity or trolling.
>>
>>2156715
Then I suggest you read my post here>>2156665 again, because I never mentioned animal neglect, nor did I imply it.
I did say this board is populated by trolls, kids, and fools who jump at any chance to criticize and belittle someone.
>>
>>2156667
It's just in general.

This has not happened to me, but I've seen it happen to other people.
>>
I've created a fucking flame war, help me
>>
>>2157139
Nah
>>
First of all, it all depends on the accident. Freak accidents do happen, however most of the ones I have seen come from people being idiots or dicks around animals.

Secondly, never go online and ask people's opinions on medical conditions, whether it's for yourself or your pet. With the rash example, it could be anything from pretty common and nothing to worry about rubbing or it could be something a lot worse like certain parasites. There is no way of telling by looking at photo.

When I was working in the pet trade I had at least one person every day come into the store and ask a medical question and give me a general verbal description. I always said take it to the vet and they walked out looking very pissed off. Why? Because they wanted to get medical treatment for their animal on the cheap. I hate those people.
>>
>>2157139
Your good anon and as much as I love animals, animal lover people tend to have this huge insufferable arrogance about them. Reminds me of SJW's and feminists.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.