[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any crab lovers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 175x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 175x144
Any crab lovers?
>>
>>2156139
I LOVE to eat CRAB. Heh.
>>
>>2156139
I had two hermit crabs as a kid and they were so much more active and intelligent than you'd think. Really really cool and underrated pet.

I'd like to have some again, but I don't know much about the "hermit crab industry". Where do pet hermit crabs even come from? Are they mistreated or gotten in bad ways?
>>
>>2156335
ALL pet shop animals are treated in bad ways.

Buying them saves them from further harm, though.
>>
I love mine, theyre so weird and alien.
Also, really easy to take care of as long as you take all the proper precautions, like leaving sponges in their bowls, natural food, etc.
>>
>>2156139
I have crabs, but I don't love them
>>
File: undine.png (39 KB, 210x209) Image search: [Google]
undine.png
39 KB, 210x209
>>2156335
All come from the sea initially.
Nobofy breeds them in captivty.
The ones in the painted shells are electrocuted so they leave their original shells.

They need salt water and fresh water most of the time. You must never mix species, and provide them with enough coco-husk to bury themselves, or they will be eaten by their tankmates.

>>2156515
Buying them DOES NOT prevent further harm, unless you also buy a heat mat, thermostat, glass tank cover, ocean salt mix, and seashells that are the right kind/size/ and shape.

Don't get me wrong, they're awesome pets, but they do have stuff that they need, and that includes seashells, and seaweed, and seafood sometimes.
They're slow to die too, I had my first three without seawater for six months, before they tried to moult and failed for lack of iodine and trace minerals.

So basically they're like a reptile, but also like a saltwater tank, because you need to mix the water, and stuff. But a ten-gallon box of seawater mix might last them almost a year, and if you eat seafood even twice a month, they'd be good on the fatty acids.

They're really fun if you watch them hunt, they love earthworms, and crickets.
>>
>>2156942
>Nobody breeds them in captivity

There're youtube videos on how to do it

>They will be eaten by tankmates

It's usually the opposite. Hermit crabs are incredibly social creatures and need some friends
>>
File: hermtank.jpg (1 MB, 3726x1620) Image search: [Google]
hermtank.jpg
1 MB, 3726x1620
>>2156872
>sponges in bowl
#triggered

do you even know how to care for your hermit crabs?

picc is and old photo of my hermit terrarium
the sand part is about 15cm deep. The "earth" part much deeper as you can see.

the waterbowls are a bit bigger now and some plants changed, but all in all it looks pretty much the same

>>2156942
>nobody breeds them
wrong, I know 3 people that did
it just is pretty hard to do, similar to other marine decapods
>>
>>2157175
>similar to other marine decapods
marine decapods with a long planktonic stage haven't been bred in captivity. Hell, most marine animals haven't been bred in captivity because of the planktonic stage.

I've also heard rumors of people breeding terrestrial crabs though. I've never personally seen it done and last time we checked this claim on /an/ nobody could show any examples of successful breeding in labs. Currently no ruling, your friends may or may not be full of shit.
>>
File: 2016-06-29 07.07.19.jpg (146 KB, 818x723) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-29 07.07.19.jpg
146 KB, 818x723
>>2157175
forgot to say that the eart parts go all the way down to the bottom of the tank

allso, you CAN mix species, just make sure they have the same care requirements (sand to eart ratio (some live more on beaches), temp, humidity)
And don't mix a species that molts right under the surface and one that digs a lot
>>
>>2156942
Yeah, thankfully even as a kid, I gave them all of that stuff. They molted and changed shells successfully multiple times over the years. Everything was peachy until one day after I came home from school, I found that my parents had bought two new baby hermit crabs for my brother and put them in my tank. I got upset that they didn't quarantine them first, and sure enough they were sick and gave my two crabs a disease that killed them all. And that was the end of my hermit crab experience.

If they are all collected from the wild, I don't know if I'd feel good about buying the and keeping them as pets.

>>2156515
It might save the individuals, but my money would then go to support the mistreatment of even more hermies.
>>
>>2157180
many Lysmata species are being bred in captivity
Thor amboinensis
just to name a few

here are a few hermit examples (most from the same person)

http://www.landeinsiedlerkrebs-forum.de/showthread.php?t=5874

http://www.landeinsiedlerkrebs-forum.de/showthread.php?t=4767

http://www.landeinsiedlerkrebs-forum.de/showthread.php?t=4387

http://www.landeinsiedlerkrebs-forum.de/showthread.php?t=5982

Or better just look through her blog
http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.co.at/?m=1
>>
>>2157194
is it just me or are none of the pics loading?

either way, yes I'm aware bloggers have claimed to have done it. I've seen the videos and read the instruction manuals.

bloggers have also claimed to have bred a homunculus from human sperm and a chicken egg. Some have claimed to see angels or bigfoot.

that's why I don't really like blogs as a citation for anything.
>>
>>2157199
you are right, some of the pics aren't loading

I have seen her pics and her live updates, she bred C. violascens on multiple ocasions as well as C. purpureus
Where do you think they got the daily larval pics/vids and the pics/vids of the extremely tiny hermit crabs right after their transition to a terrestrial livestyle?

It's not that hard apparently, but not as easy as Thor amboinensis as their larvae are more cannibalistic in a certain larval stage
It is impossible without a "Larvenkreisel" (what's this thing called in english?), as with all marine decapoda that have planctonic larval stages.

but you don't have to believe that they bred them if you don't want to.

But as you (?) said before, all of the Hermits you can buy are wild collected
>>
>>2156139
>crab lover
My dad told me to stay away from them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.