[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /an/. Don't come to this board very often, but I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (433 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433 KB, 1600x1067
Hey, /an/.

Don't come to this board very often, but I thought you guys could help me out.

I'm thinking of building a badass aquarium. Practically an underwater ecosystem- full of a bunch of different organisms.

Any suggestions for awesome plants, fish, or anything else I could put in there?

I live in the U.S. and am willing to blow about $1,500.
>>
>>2155196
Saltwater or fresh?

How big of a tank?

Aquariums are expensive, dawg. From their setup to maintenance.
>>
File: Akysis-vespa.jpg (53 KB, 800x557) Image search: [Google]
Akysis-vespa.jpg
53 KB, 800x557
>>2155196
Check out the links: >>2152558
>>
>>2155200
I'm thinking a 50 to 80 gallon tank.

And I'll be using freshwater.
>>
>>2155203
Thanks, man!
>>
You can focus more on the fish, do whatever you want, but I think aquascaping with some schooling fish looks cool
>>
Make paludarium. Land portion can be poison dart frogs or geckos. Water you could do a simple beta fish harem or some dwarf puffers.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70vUELwwbU

A video about tropical fish tanks and the business of selling and taking care of the fishes.
>>
>>2155196

patience and knowledge are the key factors.

for 1500$ you could set up a very nice malawi cichlid tank but since you are a beginner(?), it might be hard in terms of stocking and managing aggression.

I'd advise you to start out with a big planted tank and populating it with species you find interesting but which are also beginner friendly. So maybe some tetra species as schooling fish, corydoras, plecos or loaches for the bottom, Gouramis or Angelfish as centerpiece.

The most important thing is that you take your time researching the species you want to keep and time to set up your tank. Let it cycle for a month maybe. Make sure plants are grown in and the water parameters are stable.

I'm sure /aq/ can help you there if you have any specific questions.
>>
>>2155203
Fukin' cutie
>>
>>2155196
Is it possible to grow edible fish and seafood at home?
>>
OP, look on craigslist as well. There are people selling their whole set ups. You have nothing to lose from just looking, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper. I just sold a 44gal corner tank and made $40 more than I bought it for, might put it towards the 90gal complete set up that I found for $300 on there too.
>>
Start with the best decorations you can find first
>>
>>2155200
They are expensive to setup but the cost of maintenance even on marine tanks is less then a "Good" dog owner when taking vet bills and food costs into consideration.

The biggest maintenance expenses are going to be electricity and water and salt (if marine). That being said I manage to keep my consumables down to less then $60 a month for a 110gal tank. That includes salt, frozen food and additives.
>>
>>2155741
People grow out tilapia fingerlings in 55 gallon drums, no reason a tank would be any different. You'd just need really good filtration.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.