[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rabies and cats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 7654q35467.jpg (49 KB, 354x352) Image search: [Google]
7654q35467.jpg
49 KB, 354x352
(redirected from adv)

A little while ago I was waiting in the streets and found an outdoor cat. This cat seemed young, looked well-groomed and was rather friendly. He was really needy and as I pet him, he begins to drool a lot. A bit fell on my wrist/arm and everything. He also looked a bit retarded.

I later read that it could be, among other things, a sign of rabies in cats. As soon as I get home, I desinfect my whole body with ethanol (by which time the drool was pretty much dry). I didn't have any open wounds.

If the cat did have rabies, am I fucked in any way?
>>
Cats drool when they are really happy. It was probably just that. Also, unless you had an open wound that the drool dripped into, you're good
>>
>>2154655
>Cats drool when they are really happy
he was drolling a fuckton though, like a stream so heavy it got on the floor. He also, like I said, looked retarded, and when me and my friends were about to go, he positioned himself like he was about to jump on us (we interepreted as him being aggressive suddenly).

Maybe I should have mentioned this before.
Assuming this isn't relevant though, I tak your word anon, thanks. (unless this is revelevant, in which case I'd like it very much for you to inform me)
>>
>>2154655
this. My cousins cat would drool all the time when pet, it was gross honestly. Sweet thing though, she never bit or scratched.
>>
>>2154658
>He also, like I said, looked retarded
could just be bad breeding. would also explain he drooling an behavior.

Some cats/other animals can actually be retarded, especially if they're too inbred.
>>
>>2154660
true, but isn't that sort of oddness also associated with a rabies phase?
>>
>>2154661
It can, but going by this he was probably just retarded, especially if he was overly friendly.

even if he did have rabies, unless the saliva got in any cuts or your mouth or something, you're fine.
>>
>>2154667
ok, but, one last thing (and thanks for hanging around), when I said retarded, I meant act retarded, not actually look retarded.
>>
>>2154670
thats exactly what I'm talking about. you're fine m8.
>>
If you are truly paranoid, go get a rabies vaccination. If you get a vax in a few days, and this just happened recently, then you will be fine.
>>
File: 6yWhP88.jpg (82 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
6yWhP88.jpg
82 KB, 2048x1536
>>2154674
jesus... thanks man. That's a load off my back. I'm still a bit shaken up, but nothing that a bit of time won't cure, I think.
>>
>>2154648
You would have to have been bitten pretty deep, or opened a big wound up and let his drool fall into it, to contract rabies. Rabies in cats manifests in more than just drooling; once symptoms occur, they generally die in a week, at most 2 weeks. The most common sign is lethargicy, weak/wobbly/disoriented, aggression and inability to drink water. If it makes you feel better, cats very rarely are found to have rabies. Rabies is nearly non existent in the states, with only a few cases a year reported.

If you are actually scared you contacted rabies, disinfectant won't do shit to rabies. You'd have to go to a doctor right away. Once symptoms pop up, your chances of survival plummet. I know the rabies vaccine comes in a series of like 4 or 5 shots and costs around $500, but I'm not sure how they treat someone who may have come into contact with rabies
>>
>>2154679
I'm not in the states, and did you mean ethanol? 'Cause shit man, now you're making me shit my pants just now.
>>
>>2154679
>Once symptoms pop up, your chances of survival plummet
Read:nonexistent

There's been like one case of a person surviving rabies after showing symptoms and they put her in a medically induced coma and they've had difficulty in repeating results.
>>
>>2154679
>I'm not sure how they treat someone who may have come into contact with rabies
Generally they try to catch the animal that bit you and will monitor it or perform a biopsy on its brain as it's the only way to positively identify it.
>>
>>2154679
>disinfectant won't do shit to rabies
A lot of sources on the web say otherwise. Even some household detergents seem to be effective against it. Not sure where you got that
>>
>>2154679
>I'm not sure how they treat someone who may have come into contact with rabies
They vaccinate them.
>>
>>2154710
>>2154896
That's not treating someone who definitely already has it and is showing symptoms. Once actually diagnosed with rabies, vaccines are no longer helpful (although if vaccinated early enough before symptoms show, vaccines do very well). Usually like stated >>2154692 they try to induce a coma in the last stage and wait it out. But I think only a few people actually survive that.

OP would have to find the cat and have it decapitated by some laboratory, assuming he doesn't live in a 3rd world country, to have it tested for rabies. And if he doesn't live in a 3rd world country, the chances of any cat having rabies is already very low, let alone a friendly cat that simply drools when excited.
>>
>>2154905
>drools when excited
He was drooling a lot though, had a huge stream dripping off it's chin. Does this make a difference?
>>
>>2154920
No. That's far more likely indicative of dental problems in the cat than rabies.

You aren't rabid, guy, I promise. Just chill out.
>>
>>2154920
Even if the cat was rabid, which I doubt, unless it bit you or the saliva got into a wound you're fine.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.