[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/ what is a good pet bird to get? I always loved cockatoos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 1280x850
Hey /an/ what is a good pet bird to get? I always loved cockatoos but I'm not sure I'd be able to handle the screaming some of them do. The thing I like most about them is how much personality they have and how loving they can be. Do you know any other birds that grow really strong bonds with their owners?
>>
>>2154056
My girlfriend has a Quaker parakeet and the fucking thing screams so often I want to crush it in my hand and throw its lifeless corpse off the balcony. Fuck those things.
>>
>>2154060
Edge
>>
green cheek conure
>>
>>2154056
Get a Cockatiel, they're cute and dumb. Cockatoo ownership is basically animal cruelty unless you're part of the 0.1% of cockatoo owners that actually know what the fuck they're doing.
>>
chickens
they also provide free eggs and scare off outdoor cats when they are large enough
>>
Canaries always come to mind
>>
>>2154170
Seconding cockatiels. They are pretty low-maintenance compared to bigger birds and tend to be very chill. They are definitely very lovable birds.
>>
Budgerigars or cockatiels.

https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1466480653911.webm
>>
please consider adopting from a shelter instead of buying a bird

there are tons of birds in shelters all over the US and Canada who need homes
>>
File: 1408487962621.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1408487962621.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>2154056
Learn to call hawks, get one of those hawk calls and those special gloves. Go hunting.
>>
What are cheap birds who don't need a ton of space?

I'm reading about it a bit and am interested.
>>
>>2154066
Or honesty
>>
>>2157761
Bump
>>
>>2159136
Finches.
>>
>>2157761
Would if there was a shelter that has birds
>>
File: IMG_20160308_172532432.jpg (962 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160308_172532432.jpg
962 KB, 1440x2560
You can get a single love bird over time it will bond to u. U can hold it like a baby
>>
>>2159300

Check petfinder.com if you're in North America.
>>
>>2154056
Become a bro with your local crows.
>>
>>2154056

Budgies make good pets. They are easier to care for than most other parrot breeds, though they are intelligent and will be miserable if they aren't given enough attention and mental stimulation.

You can train some of them to talk though it's not guaranteed. The male budgies are more likely to talk.

They live about as long as cats and dogs so you don't have to worry as much about willing them to someone.

They love to chirp and make all kinds of cute noises but they aren't so loud that you will anger your neighbors.

Their beaks are small so you don't have to worry about getting badly injured from a bite, and they usually only bite if they're scared.

They are high-energy and like to play and can be very entertaining.

Make sure you have a large enough cage so that they don't feel cramped.

Cockatiels are another good choice, especially if you want a bird that likes to cuddle as they enjoy that more than budgies.

Cockatoos are a bad idea. They are hilarious birds but require a lot more care than working people can generally give them. They also live a very long time (40-60 years) and are extremely loud and expensive to feed. They are also known to attack people and their bites can be nasty. There's a reason why you find a lot of neglected cockatoos in bird shelters. It's terrible.
>>
>>2154056
I love fischers lovebirds
>>
>>2160874
>Budgies make good pets. They are easier to care for than most other parrot breeds, though they are intelligent and will be miserable if they aren't given enough attention and mental stimulation.
My housemate brags about how his would stay motionless in their cage if the door was opened, and how they never wandered out or explored and never bit him (they would run from his hand). I've got two lorikeets and they're fucking hellions (they bite, scream for attention, when they get out they need constant supervision because they'll eat / destroy anything possible, etc) but at least they're active, moderately stimulated, have personality and don't have much in the way of psychological issues (outside of cage-related issues, and I'm planning on moving them into an aviary soon)

>Cockatoos are a bad idea. They are hilarious birds but require a lot more care than working people can generally give them. They also live a very long time (40-60 years) and are extremely loud and expensive to feed. They are also known to attack people and their bites can be nasty. There's a reason why you find a lot of neglected cockatoos in bird shelters. It's terrible.
Also seconding this. My other housemate volunteers at a cockatoo sanctuary and those things can be both intimidating, painful (the claws, the beaks and the god-damn noise), and the total opposite of what you'd want in a house. I love my two keets dearly, because of them I've come to love almost all birds, and I loved the time I spent with the cockatoos but there's nothing on earth that would convince me to bring one home.
>>
I had parakeets as a kid. They learned to whistle pretty well. I was always scared to hold them because they seem so fragile. Very sweet though.

My friend has a rescue gcr and he's an asshole because he was left in his cage and not socialized. :(
>>
>>2162545
I taught mine to talk by recording myself saying various phrases over and over again and having him listen to it while I was at school. Some of them can learn a lot of words like Disco the Parakeet.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.