[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: saligirl.jpg (1 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
saligirl.jpg
1 MB, 2368x3200
Hey /an/,

/fit/izen here. I really need some help.

>adopted MWD years ago
>best doge evar
>recently moved
>she began chewing and scratching at very specific areas until bloody and raw
>Vet is an absolute last resort, she is extremely aggressive towards them and it's never a good experience for anyone, she has to be put under for the simplest of check ups.
>benedryl didn't help, so I guess it's not allergies
>about to try oatmeal bath to sooth irritation and give her cone of shame

Literally any advice I could get would be awesome.
>>
Maybe try some medicine for hotspots? Also maybe try to keep her indoors except for potty time? Maybe there is a plant or something in the yard that she is allergic to, but you didnt dose the benedryl right? Get her a cone to stop the biting and something to stop the scratching as well.

As hard as it is, OP, I would go to the vet. If she is chewing and scratching at the spots that bad, there is a high probably it will get infected. GO now to get some topical shit and some antibiotics. It will be painful but cheaper to go now than to keep trying home remedies and have her get a horrible infection.
>>
>>2153190
Thanks bud. I still have some Doxy on hand in case of infection and will probably call the vet. They sometimes just give me supplies without a checkup because they know how she is.

I have leaving her alone to go get things though because she knows she isn't supposed to bite but does so when she knows I'm not here to correct her.
>>
>>2153181
>very specific areas
what areas?

could be a hotspot, could be a fungal infection, could be allergies, could be stress, could be a pulled muscle or fractured bone (yes, really)

my dog had what I thought was a hotspot on his foot (family had just visited and he was irritated by my 8y/o brother for a week in my tiny ass apartment). topical stuff didn't work and it was going to get infected, so I took him to the vet. she said it was likely that he'd sprained his foot or fractured/broken his little toe, and he was licking it obsessively to make it feel better, causing the skin infection. unfortunately his toe was too little to make an x-ray worth it, so we just got some antibiotics for the infection and a better topical ointment and had to wait for it to heal on its own.

mine has a long snout, so he gets around cones easily, unfortunately. had to wrap him up in socks or booties and watch him like a hawk. bitter spray did nothing.
>>
Off topic, I know, but why does the pooch hate the vet so much? That must have been one really nasty vet visit early on. Or maybe a lack of socialization and all the other dog smells cause a freak out? Hmm.
>>
Medical grade lavender oil will help if its fungal or skin.

I will also reccomend proffesional help in dealing with the dogs anxiety issues.
>>
>>2153224
>what areas?
Her hip/butt area.

>>2153234
>why does the pooch hate the vet so much?
Not entirely sure. I can take her out for walks in public and I have people over the house all the time. She's lived with cats before with no problems, as well as other dogs. But the minute she enters a vet, it's tail between legs, low walk, ears back. The vet can enter the room but literally as soon as they speak or move toward her she will try and maul them. I have to have her muzzled and on a pinch collar when I do go.

>Or maybe a lack of socialization and all the other dog smells cause a freak out?
Not the case in my opinion. She was a military working dog, she was in the kennel with lots of other dogs all the time. I actually just moved from a house in which there was another dog she played with all the time.

>I will also recommend professional help in dealing with the dogs anxiety issues.
As I mentioned, she was a military working dog. The USMC couldn't solve her aggression issues, they would have put her down if I had not known someone in that unit who convinced their CO to let me have her. She has since become infinitely more docile. It's just vets..

So I have her in a cone now, her hot spot seems to be healing well, so I've "slowed the bleeding" so to speak. She still tries to get at it. This is telling me that the root cause is still there.

Should I try a run of antibiotics and some medicated shampoo?
>>
>>2153723

I have a kid with autism ... long story short, he associates every room with something like medical equipment with a traumatizing event. Any large mechanical objects. X-ray machines, barber chairs, car jacks, dentist chairs, even metallic office chairs. Also, he gets cautious around clean minimalist rooms with smooth floors and plain decorations. Weirdest fucking thing. Such a pain in the ass. We never know what's going to trigger it. Even worse, we don't know WHY.

There was an association made at some point but we don't know what it was. Maybe your dog had something happen from someone in scrub, a white coat, or in clean-looking room. No telling.
>>
>>2153733
Makes sense to me
>>
>>2153181
>>2153723
Go to petsmart and buy medicated shampoo AND CONDITIONER near the banfield section or wherever that most closely describes her symptoms, you also want something gentle-ish on skin. Most important thing is the conditioner. She MIGHT (idk I'm not a vet) have dry skin, my shepherd mix was like that at one point and I've bathed him with medicated shampoo and conditioner last year and since then have only bathed him using conditioner because it was mainly caused by dry skin. I know when he starts scratching too much to condition him. At one point I was rubbing dog-safe lotion/cortisone, but the medicated conditioner seemed to work a lot better. Cost me less than $60 ish for both bottles and he hasn't bled again. Good luck OP.
>>
>>2153733
>don't know why

Gee I dunno because doctors and hospitals and tests and pain are fucking scary. Holy shit. I have an autistic brother and I remember all the medical hospital testing shit he had to go through.....
>>
>>2153733
>>2153849
People being decent about autism on 4chan?
Holy shit whatever's going on here, thanks for not being complete assholes.

If you have questions, ask me, I am quite sentient but also quite autistic.
Anything related to a certain shit memory can upset an autist. High functioning autists handle this shit way better than severes.
I can't explain the pattern recognition beyond saying that autistic people know where they are at all times because it's very simple to recognize the styles of the buildings they're in.
>>
I'm in my countries police K9 unit, long story short maybe it's just uncomfortable with strangers, maybe something in the vet clinic (scent, objects etc) relates to a bad memory for her making her tense. Some dogs are just aggressive to some people for absolutely no reason (idiopathic aggression) and are smart enough to remember that person and carry on disliking them for no real reason, and ex working dogs are certainly smart enough for that.
As for the chewing, sounds like a hot spot or eczema, keep it dry, buy some topical medicines and cone of shame. Best of luck brother, and good on you for adopting an ex service dog.
>>
>>2153723
If a cone doesn't work you can always use a muzzle, just make sure the dog has enough room to open her mouth still, but just can't lick and bite due to bars.
>>
>>2153859
>People being decent about autism on 4chan?
>Holy shit whatever's going on here, thanks for not being complete assholes.

I have autism as well. I'm the guy with the autistic kid, actually. Had the kid when I was 21. He has level 2 (rainman) autism. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 15. Learned in my early 30's it was actually aspergers (level 1 autism). It's a shit-deal for everyone. If I had known when I was 15 what I had, things would have been a lot different. I could have done so much more with my life. But I never felt like I had a grasp on anything until these last few years after I learned the truth. Shit sucks.
>>
>>2154193
It's not people in general, I have friends visit whom she's never met and she barks until I tell her it's okay. But nowhere near the aggression I see at the vet.

>As for the chewing, sounds like a hot spot or eczema, keep it dry, buy some topical medicines and cone of shame. Best of luck brother, and good on you for adopting an ex service dog.

Thanks bud! Will do!
>>
Just shave that shit and then rub some coconut oil on the spots.
>>
>>2154764
Forgot to mention again man, if you add fish oil to her diet it'll help. For dogs with bad skin we pop some fish oil capsules, like the ones for people into their food, some guys buy sardine fillets Pr some salmon and throw that in. Olive oil works too. Or massaging in coconut oil like >>2154768 mentioned.
See if you can get negasunt powder to dry it out, or some baneocin cream. Ideally mix it together into a bit of a paste and put it on after washing the area. You can wash it using the oatmeal shampoo m8
I'm not sure if you can get those medicines over the counter, cause ours gets provided through K9.
Best of luck again bro
>>
You said hip/butt OP? Sometimes an issue with anal glands can cause severe itching and irritation in that area. I know it sucks but you really should get a vet to have a look.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.