[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion of positive only dog training?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: images (29).jpg (28 KB, 275x409) Image search: [Google]
images (29).jpg
28 KB, 275x409
What is your opinion of positive only dog training?
>>
>>2152761
you're only rewarding them when they do something you like.

which means you're withholding that reward the rest of the time. Withholding a reward for bad or neutral behavior isn't really positive training, now is it? In fact keeping that delicious reward away most of the time is pretty negative behavior.

so yeah, you should probably just call it passive aggressive training. Let's be honest.
>>
>>2152761
How do you feel about getting someone hooked on cocaine so you can take it away from them if they don't follow your orders?
>>
>Withholding a reward for bad or neutral behavior isn't really positive training, now is it?
yes, it is, absolutely
>>
Its like paying someone $15/hr for doing what you want them to do.

If you went to work one day and your boss suddenly stopped paying you, would you still go to work? No, unless you were retarded. Hell, dogs are retarded and still know that no pay = no motivation to work.

Any other time they're not thinking about the food unless you own a vacuum like my dog wherein which she's always thinking about food so its not any more torture than her ordinary existence.

when you don't earn money 24/7 its not like you're not in pain. Unless you're earning minimum wage. That's why you don't use shit treats. Always always use the highest reinforcer for establishing behaviours and your pup will be satisfied and you'll get better results.

Also the association between your command in the treat will synchronize in the dogs brain and it'll be a consistently pleasurable experience to work with you and be near you which is whhat you want. Some things are near impossible with negative reinforcement or elicit the wrong response in the animal after several repetitions. Like how pulling on the lead and tightening on the neck with a prong collar while a dog walks by creates pressure on the dogs neck and shoulders will eventually make the dog more insecure or aggressive and have that feeling associated with being on the lead to begin with or being near other dogs.

The worst types of dogs don't even respond to that sort of thing. Its easy for dogs to be desensitized to punishment. Its much harder to make a piece of stinky salmon or cheese seem less exciting.

I wouldn't trust most people to know how to go about punishment without understanding the reprecussions of it. Definitely not diy

Either way, I volunteered at my local conservation center for a year and they used purely positive reinforcement to train all their animals so thhey could provide vetrinary care to them without sedation. If it works on lions, bears, wolves, wild boar, bison, etc.. it'll work on a dog. Just my two cents.
>>
>>2152761
>positive only
This is where you fuck up. Some instances of puppy behavior needs negative reinforcement to end. Things like people chewing, house-shitting/pissing, resource guarding, and chewing things not meant to be chewed on.
They're not cats, they're capable of understanding negative reinforcement without becoming scarred for life over it.
>>
File: 1412670787589.jpg (105 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1412670787589.jpg
105 KB, 500x445
>>2152824
>Don't rub your dog's nose in his piss or he'll start shitting on your rug instead, guys. Leave dog training, something that's been done since before recorded time, the to the professionals.

Don't believe the lies of people that just want to sell you garbage, /an/.
>>
>>2152824
>>2152824
>it's easy for dogs to be desensitized
T. Dog Beater
>>
>>2152824
>I volunteered at my local conservation center for a year and they used purely positive reinforcement to train all their animals so thhey could provide vetrinary care to them without sedation. If it works on lions, bears, wolves, wild boar, bison, etc.. it'll work on a dog. Just my two cents.

Works with livestock too. I actually use the things I learned from working with livestock on the people around me to get better results. Everyone fucking loves me. They don't even realize that I'm training them.
>>
>>2152801
How are you not in any aspect rewarding them for shitting on the rug if you give them candy after the dump? Neutral behaviour is something diffrent, but on the contray, you feed the pet, relentless if it's naughty, dont you?
>>
>>2152846
>I actually use the things I learned from working with livestock
Like to use two condoms when fucking a cow?
>>
Use what works on your dog. Dog #1 is either a lab/dachshund or staffie/basset/golden/terrier mix (first I'd from his appearance, second see results of a DNA test), and he is dumb as a rock. Punishment does jack shit on him. I tried to teach him to walk on a choke chain, for example, and he just didn't give two fucks about the correction and would pull against the chainew hard. It wasn't until I would turn around and walk the other way, or stop, did he begin to put the pieces together on pulling.

Similar results on teaching him sit with pressing/tapping his backside. That didn't mean shit to him.

Just use what works on your dog. Ifor positive reinforcement works, use it. If positive punishment works, use it. There is not really a training method that is universal.

>>2152848
It's called "negative punishment" and is considered to be on the positive side of dog training. There was a great image explaining all of these things, but I didn't save it. I am sure some anon has it.
>>
>>2152843
but he's advocating pos. reinforcement, not beating.
or is the scope of your joke really that small?
>>
>>2152761
>>2152761
it's worked incredibly well for my rescue dog. she's very food motivated and lives to please people though.
>>
>>2152846
>Everyone fucking loves me. They don't even realize that I'm training them.
can you please elaborate on that? i've done a lot of reading on training dogs despite not owning one and i feel like there's definitely merit in applying things to people but i don't know how to go about doing it really

i have a friend who i always give a snack to whenever i meet them but i dont know that seems maybe a little too obvious
>>
>>2153601
The book Don't Shoot the Dog is a good introduction
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 660x550) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 660x550
>tfw operant conditioning terms are almost always used incorrectly
>>
>>2152824
>Its like paying someone $15/hr for doing what you want them to do
you've never noticed that people resent and hate the people that pay them?

I'm an employer, I have. I know you have a price, and I know you'll hate me for finding it.

perhaps irrelevant to dogs,
but isn't the whole premise to treat dogs how we'd want to be treated?

if so, your "positive reinforcement" is patronizing and anti-free will.

give the treat or don't give it, but don't make me do flips to get it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.